Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Flake Considering Holding Trump Judicial Nominees Hostage
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Quote: Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) is reportedly considering using votes on President Trump’s appellate court nominees as a bargaining chip for demands on two separate issues.

CNN reported that Flake may block votes on the court nominations while he attempts to secure action on tariffs and travel restrictions to Cuba.

“We’re discussing it,” he told the network.

Flake is a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, where Republicans hold a one-seat advantage over Democrats.

If Flake does not support the appellate nominees, it could compromise their nominations. Most judges are voted out of the committee along party lines.

However, Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) told CNN that he will not schedule votes on the judges until Flake has indicated he’ll support the nominees.

Grassley added that the Senate nominations calendar is full, and he does not feel pressured to vote on judges at this time.

Link
06-23-2018 04:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Flake Considering Holding Trump Judicial Nominees Hostage
There’s a better than 50% chance that a Democrat will replace Flake after he retires in six months. But even if that happens, I’ll be very thankful to see him go.
06-23-2018 04:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(06-23-2018 04:20 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  There’s a better than 50% chance that a Democrat will replace Flake after he retires in six months. But even if that happens, I’ll be very thankful to see him go.

Would a Democrat be any worse than Flake? I don't see how.
06-23-2018 11:57 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(06-23-2018 11:57 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  
(06-23-2018 04:20 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  There’s a better than 50% chance that a Democrat will replace Flake after he retires in six months. But even if that happens, I’ll be very thankful to see him go.

From a GOP standpoint, I don’t see how a Dem would be any worse at all (compared to Flake). In fact, probably an improvement.

One is like the rude neighbor who lets his dog take a dump in your front yard. But because Flake is part of the “family”, he’s allowed inside the house and his dog dumps on the living room floor. Then Flake gets mad at you for noticing and complaining. Good riddance and may he never pass this way again.
06-24-2018 07:17 AM
Advertisement

Gakusei Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(06-24-2018 07:17 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  From a GOP standpoint, I don’t see how a Dem would be any worse at all (compared to Flake). In fact, probably an improvement.

Flake voted in line with Trump positions 84.3% of the time. Not sure you’d even get half that percentage with a Democrat.
06-24-2018 12:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(06-23-2018 11:57 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  

Yep, replacing one Flake with another flake is not exactly a win. Sigh...
06-24-2018 01:22 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
He's threatening to hold hostage the one issue every Republican agrees on. He needs to be removed by the voters of Arizona.
06-24-2018 01:27 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
The GOP Old Guard are going to be purged and I love it.
06-24-2018 04:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.