Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scoring 30% on a test is enough to graduate high school in NYC
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Scoring 30% on a test is enough to graduate high school in NYC
[Image: 28c2ivn.jpg]

Leftists running NYC schools guaranteeing many of their graduates will push burgers and fries in their future. What will they do when kiosk's take over their jobs they are qualified for?

Quote:The bar keeps dropping on state math exams — and critics are saying it’s because officials are desperate for high graduation rates.

Kids only need to score a measly 30 percent on this month’s Algebra 1 Regents test to pass, according to new state guidelines.

Students who manage just 26 out of 86 total points will get a heavily weighted score of 65 — the minimum required for passage.

That’s the lowest standard since the state introduced the test four years ago.

Students must pass at least one math Regents exam in order to graduate with a conventional Regents diploma that is required by most colleges.

In 2014, it took 31 points — or 34.6 percent — to pass the test. That number dipped to 30 points in 2015 and 27 last year, according to state records.

A kid with a 65 weighted score is considered to be “partially meeting Common Core expectations” — but is still allowed to pass, according to the guidelines.

The Regents Algebra 1 test consists of 37 questions — 24 multiple choice and 13 open-ended problems that require students to show their work.

Each multiple choice question is worth two points and the open-ended problems are assigned varying point values.

A student can theoretically conquer the exam by nailing just 13 of the 24 multiple choice questions alone — without having to worry about the more involved material.

Keep reading here...
06-24-2018 12:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: Scoring 30% on a test is enough to graduate high school in NYC
join a gang?

pray the teat is still there?

that list is endless....

"no one left behind" redefined the curve of dipshite-ism....
06-24-2018 12:52 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
How different with how our medical overseers for the FD operate. We had to get an 80% to pass while the rules states the usual 70%. I'm in agreement though, lives are at stake as an EMT.
06-24-2018 01:14 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Most of these state tests are pretty poorly written. I don't like the idea of requiring passing these tests. In Georgia they dropped that. They still have state tests on certain subjects, but they just count like a final-20% of the grade.
06-24-2018 01:35 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Illegals gotta pass before receiving in state college admission.
06-24-2018 01:54 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(06-24-2018 01:54 PM)Paul M Wrote:  Illegals gotta pass before receiving in state college admission.

how's that gonna be achieved within the current regime??????

state congress doesn't have a fk'n clue......

there's a YUGE difference between wanting and the possibility of happening....
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2018 01:58 PM by stinkfist.)
06-24-2018 01:57 PM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
What the hell ? 30% !? I graduated high school with a 2.995 GPA. Didn't get a sniff of a scholarship either. Cause I was a honky ass white devil.
06-24-2018 03:09 PM
stinkfist Offline

(06-24-2018 03:09 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  What the hell ? 30% !? I graduated high school with a 2.995 GPA. Didn't get a sniff of a scholarship either. Cause I was a honky ass white devil with a forked tongue and a pecker.

lol fify.....ya nailed it...
06-24-2018 03:12 PM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

(06-24-2018 03:12 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(06-24-2018 03:09 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  What the hell ? 30% !? I graduated high school with a 2.995 GPA. Didn't get a sniff of a scholarship either. Cause I was a honky ass white devil with a forked tongue and a pecker.

What about the tail and the pitchfork ?

Oh, and the whity juju ?
06-24-2018 03:12 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(06-24-2018 03:12 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  

Oh, and the whity juju ?

..was implied 03-wink
06-24-2018 03:21 PM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

(06-24-2018 03:21 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(06-24-2018 03:12 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  

Oh, and the whity juju ?

..was implied 03-wink

Oh. Wow. I guess I need to get out of the house more, lol....
06-24-2018 03:28 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
This edition of the Regent's test was established in 2014. At that time the tests were changed to align with common core.

The problem with common core math: It's not math how any of us learned it (including teachers) and even new textbooks don't necessarily adhere to it. It's a situation where neither parents or teachers know how to teach it.

It's a lowering of standards, but it's only in response to a system that was poorly implemented in the first place.
06-24-2018 03:45 PM
stinkfist Offline

(06-24-2018 03:45 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  This edition of the Regent's test was established in 2014. At that time the tests were changed to align with common core.

The problem with common core math: It's not math how any of us learned it (including teachers) and even new textbooks don't necessarily adhere to it. It's a situation where neither parents or teachers know how to teach it.

It's a lowering of standards, but it's only in response to a system that was poorly implemented in the first place.

I'm gonna go OT here.....common core is how my brain works.....

scary, eh?

it's all about figuring out who can solve puzzles.....you work it backwards from there and develop a tiered system that allows those to find the level of achievement.....

math or numbers is/are only letter(s) of many............it's always been code and how it's defined.......

whether you can or cannot is relevant in scope......
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2018 03:50 PM by stinkfist.)
06-24-2018 03:49 PM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(06-24-2018 03:49 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(06-24-2018 03:45 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  This edition of the Regent's test was established in 2014. At that time the tests were changed to align with common core.

scary, eh?

it's all about figuring out who can solve puzzles.....you work it backwards from there and develop a tiered system that allows those to find the level of achievement.....

math or numbers is/are only letter(s) of many............it's always been code and how it's defined.......

It's somewhat how I used to solve problems as well when I got to the higher maths.

BUT, that was not how they taught it and not how the majority of people learned it. Ever worked for a company that suddenly hands down a vastly different system with minimal training to even the people who will be in charge AND the work instructions are "in progress"? I have, and this is just like that.

It's going to take time to get it right.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2018 04:03 PM by nomad2u2001.)
06-24-2018 04:01 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Public education has been a race to the bottom for quite some time.

We can all thank George W. for finally pushing it off a cliff.

I've said it before on here and catch flack but its the God's honest truth, there isn't a decent public K-12 school in America. The entire system is utterly and completely trash and is the biggest driver of inequality in America today.
06-24-2018 04:43 PM
stinkfist Offline

(06-24-2018 04:01 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  
(06-24-2018 03:49 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

scary, eh?

It's somewhat how I used to solve problems as well when I got to the higher maths.

BUT, that was not how they taught it and not how the majority of people learned it. Ever worked for a company that suddenly hands down a vastly different system with minimal training to even the people who will be in charge AND the work instructions are "in progress"? I have, and this is just like that.

It's going to take time to get it right.

I'll send ya a PM to address all that.....

to your last posit, the question becomes is it plausible within today's political structure
06-24-2018 05:44 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-24-2018 04:43 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Public education has been a race to the bottom for quite some time.

I've said it before on here and catch flack but its the God's honest truth, there isn't a decent public K-12 school in America. The entire system is utterly and completely trash and is the biggest driver of inequality in America today.

No. George W. Bush kept it from going down the toilet. Fact is that all but the top students were ignored. They didn't care what happened to them and there was no accountability. Now there is actually data.

Of course, with the quality of school leadership, they don't know how to succeed, they just try to game the numbers. But in some cases they have been forced to do what they should have been doing all along. Teach the students.
06-24-2018 05:56 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(06-24-2018 05:56 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(06-24-2018 04:43 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Public education has been a race to the bottom for quite some time.

No. George W. Bush kept it from going down the toilet. Fact is that all but the top students were ignored. They didn't care what happened to them and there was no accountability. Now there is actually data.

Of course, with the quality of school leadership, they don't know how to succeed, they just try to game the numbers. But in some cases they have been forced to do what they should have been doing all along. Teach the students.

teacher's pet was ubiquitous heaven.....even back in my day.....we were the one's that only gingered up and gave 'em shite to let them know they shouldn't have chosen that profession.....

yeah........I was that mothermokkker.....

it's amazing what one can accomplish when an ADHD dyslexic learns on their own how to comprehensively read by the age of 3.....
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2018 06:24 PM by stinkfist.)
06-24-2018 06:21 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Explains why NYC voted almost 79% for Clinton in 2016.
06-25-2018 10:34 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(06-24-2018 12:43 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  [Image: 28c2ivn.jpg]

Leftists running NYC schools guaranteeing many of their graduates will push burgers and fries in their future. What will they do when kiosk's take over their jobs they are qualified for?

Quote:The bar keeps dropping on state math exams — and critics are saying it’s because officials are desperate for high graduation rates.

Kids only need to score a measly 30 percent on this month’s Algebra 1 Regents test to pass, according to new state guidelines.

Students who manage just 26 out of 86 total points will get a heavily weighted score of 65 — the minimum required for passage.

That’s the lowest standard since the state introduced the test four years ago.

Students must pass at least one math Regents exam in order to graduate with a conventional Regents diploma that is required by most colleges.

In 2014, it took 31 points — or 34.6 percent — to pass the test. That number dipped to 30 points in 2015 and 27 last year, according to state records.

A kid with a 65 weighted score is considered to be “partially meeting Common Core expectations” — but is still allowed to pass, according to the guidelines.

The Regents Algebra 1 test consists of 37 questions — 24 multiple choice and 13 open-ended problems that require students to show their work.

Each multiple choice question is worth two points and the open-ended problems are assigned varying point values.

A student can theoretically conquer the exam by nailing just 13 of the 24 multiple choice questions alone — without having to worry about the more involved material.

Keep reading here...

All part of the left's master plan.

Keep them dumb
Keep them dependent on government
Indoctrinate them in "progressive" ideology
Keep them voting "D"

It's all about power. More specifically, keeping THEMSELVES in it.
06-25-2018 11:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.