Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Sky moves to 20 games
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
We seem to have overlooked this in all the "excitement" over the Great Northern. But some real news from the Big Sky. With the departure of North Dakota, they will move to a full round robin of 20 games in Men's and Women's Basketball.

https://twitter.com/BigSkyConf/status/10...24/photo/1
[Image: DeZQKOYWsAAB6AO.jpg]

So they join the Big Ten (also 2018-19) and ACC (2019-20) in moving to 20 games.

Update: Women's Volleyball remains at 18 (I checked some schedules).
The Big Sky set up the one time WVB meetings the last weekend of the regular season before the tournament (one away, one home).
For Idaho SUU and NAU are the two they play once; for UNC it's PSU and EWU
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2018 03:15 PM by Stugray2.)
06-29-2018 12:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
RE: Big Sky moves to 20 games
Makes a lot of sense - tough to get OOC home games.
06-29-2018 12:56 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Yet another conference goes to 20 conference games. Well, that gives the MW fewer choices of OOC games with a conference in the footprint.
06-29-2018 01:30 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-29-2018 01:30 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Yet another conference goes to 20 conference games. Well, that gives the MW fewer choices of OOC games with a conference in the footprint.

Over the last 5 years, NAU has only played four games against MWC teams

Home and Home against Fresno
At UNLV and Boise

Will have to see how other teams fared.
06-29-2018 01:37 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
I talked with the Weber AD in San Antonio. They were very happy UND left and all but waived the exit fee. He said it cut $150k from their travel budget. Very nice man (and wife).
06-29-2018 02:26 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
Makes sense, now they all have same opponents. Now they have to schedule decent OOC games, which has proven difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
06-29-2018 02:31 PM
Advertisement

Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(06-29-2018 02:26 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  I talked with the Weber AD in San Antonio. They were very happy UND left and all but waived the exit fee. He said it cut $150k from their travel budget. Very nice man (and wife).

Yea, that move seems like it's good for everyone involved. Removes a geographic outlier from the Big Sky, and turning the Summit into Conference Dakotas seems like a much more enjoyable experience for UND students/alumni (and I'm sure the travel savings worked both ways). The Summit has one of the better-attended men's basketball tournaments outside of the big 6 basketball conferences, if I remember correctly, because of their favorable geography.
06-29-2018 02:33 PM
billings Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wyo / Mont St.
(06-29-2018 01:30 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Yet another conference goes to 20 conference games. Well, that gives the MW fewer choices of OOC games with a conference in the footprint.

My guess is the Big SKy teams will drop their D2 and NAIA games and not the few MWC or PAC games they get
06-29-2018 02:36 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
(06-29-2018 02:26 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  I talked with the Weber AD in San Antonio. They were very happy UND left and all but waived the exit fee. He said it cut $150k from their travel budget. Very nice man (and wife).

You are too gullible. It's all a front for the new Great North Conference. Weber State wants to be with the Dakota schools.
06-29-2018 02:40 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
(06-29-2018 02:36 PM)billings Wrote:  

My guess is the Big SKy teams will drop their D2 and NAIA games and not the few MWC or PAC games they get

NAIA and D2 games do not count in RPI, the ones to get rid of are the SWAC and other bottom conference bottom feeders.

06-29-2018 02:45 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-29-2018 02:33 PM)Bogg Wrote:  

Yea, that move seems like it's good for everyone involved. Removes a geographic outlier from the Big Sky, and turning the Summit into Conference Dakotas seems like a much more enjoyable experience for UND students/alumni (and I'm sure the travel savings worked both ways). The Summit has one of the better-attended men's basketball tournaments outside of the big 6 basketball conferences, if I remember correctly, because of their favorable geography.

AT the time, Big Sky thought they were getting both UND and USD, which would allow Flight/Game/bus/Game/flight for two games. Now it is flight/game/flight
06-29-2018 03:08 PM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(06-29-2018 01:37 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

Over the last 5 years, NAU has only played four games against MWC teams

Home and Home against Fresno
At UNLV and Boise

Will have to see how other teams fared.

I'm of the belief this move is better for the MWC. It makes the Big Sky buyers for road games at these schools, and they are going to need it from better conferences. If you're not a good mid-major conference, you need more looks for better opponents in the non-conference. Sure, you get junk to fill it out...I get the impression the squeeze will be felt on the quality opponent side rather than the crap games the schools can bag in their own arenas. Those won't be going away.
06-29-2018 03:45 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(06-29-2018 02:40 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  

You are too gullible. It's all a front for the new Great North Conference. Weber State wants to be with the Dakota schools.

The Weber AD fooled another "clueless poster" with his misdirection and opposite talk there. Well done Weber AD!
06-29-2018 03:51 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(06-29-2018 02:45 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  
(06-29-2018 02:36 PM)billings Wrote:  

NAIA and D2 games do not count in RPI, the ones to get rid of are the SWAC and other bottom conference bottom feeders.

Sadly, schools like Central Washing, Western Washington, Western Oregon, California Baptist and Azusa Pacific along with Colorado Mesa, Colorado Mines and West Texas A&M are schools that have better RPI than the SWAC and other bottom feeders at the D1. Those schools are in their footprint. I could see in the future if they would add a school from D2? It could be Central Washington. I think that may improve their RPI some that way.
06-29-2018 04:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(06-29-2018 03:08 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(06-29-2018 02:33 PM)Bogg Wrote:  

AT the time, Big Sky thought they were getting both UND and USD, which would allow Flight/Game/bus/Game/flight for two games. Now it is flight/game/flight
Only an idiot would schedule a game by busing between Grand Forks and Vermillion in the dead of winter. That interstate is treacherous when it’s Blizzarding and icy slow traveling conditions could last for weeks. One almost has to schedule a flight through MSP to Sioux Falls and then bus to minimize risk. Thousands of fans have had to take shelter in HS gyms in small towns over the years. Brookings and Fargo is almost just as bad, because northern SD doesn’t have much population. Grand Forks and Vermillion are two western states apart or many more eastern states.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2018 05:07 PM by NoDak.)
06-29-2018 04:59 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

But yet the Montanas, Idaho, and EWU will continue scheduling the Dakotas in mbb in spite of scheduling 20 BSC games.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2018 05:04 PM by NoDak.)
06-29-2018 05:02 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
(06-29-2018 05:02 PM)NoDak Wrote:  But yet the Montanas, Idaho, and EWU will continue scheduling the Dakotas in mbb in spite of scheduling 20 BSC games.

An early December MBB trip every other year is no big deal. But going to Grand Rapids in the dead of winter was horrible, and the lost travel time for all the Olympic sports made every AD and coach in the Big Sky ask repeatedly, "why are they in the league?" Heck that is why they were given a discount on the exit fee to leave. Nobody was upset with North Dakota as an institution in any way or form. Just the travel was murder.

The Big Sky added by subtraction, picking up a 10th home game in basketball, renewing rivalries, and greater cohesion. In football they will get back 4 lost rivalry games. Bigger and more spread out is not always better.

It's better for North Dakota as well, although you might not see that yet. You belong in heated rivalries with the other three Dakota schools plus Omaha (also a Hockey rival, as is Denver). Heck playing Denver should be an upgrade from NoCo and still keep you in the Denver market. The fans and students will like playing the Basketball Tournament within a drive-able distance, and ending the football season with the NDSU game (SRO). And after all their experience should be what you care about most.

It's a win-win, even if you don't see it yet.
06-29-2018 06:33 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(06-29-2018 06:33 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  
(06-29-2018 05:02 PM)NoDak Wrote:  But yet the Montanas, Idaho, and EWU will continue scheduling the Dakotas in mbb in spite of scheduling 20 BSC games.

An early December MBB trip every other year is no big deal. But going to Grand Rapids in the dead of winter was horrible, and the lost travel time for all the Olympic sports made every AD and coach in the Big Sky ask repeatedly, "why are they in the league?" Heck that is why they were given a discount on the exit fee to leave. Nobody was upset with North Dakota as an institution in any way or form. Just the travel was murder.

The Big Sky added by subtraction, picking up a 10th home game in basketball, renewing rivalries, and greater cohesion. In football they will get back 4 lost rivalry games. Bigger and more spread out is not always better.

It's better for North Dakota as well, although you might not see that yet. You belong in heated rivalries with the other three Dakota schools plus Omaha (also a Hockey rival, as is Denver). Heck playing Denver should be an upgrade from NoCo and still keep you in the Denver market. The fans and students will like playing the Basketball Tournament within a drive-able distance, and ending the football season with the NDSU game (SRO). And after all their experience should be what you care about most.

It's a win-win, even if you don't see it yet.
It’s a win-win-win for the Montanas and Idaho, but you refuse to open your eyes to see it. Close minded is defined by your picture in the dictionary,

The Big Sky tournament attracts flies. They could get Billings every other year and be filled to capacity. Big Sky fans, except Weber, don’t come to games and the media is not rabid except for the Montanas. That group with the Dakotas has the ability to go FBS. Academically it’s like peas in the same pod.
06-29-2018 07:01 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
It's hard for most Big Sky members to get decent nonconference home games - or any at all. Northern Arizona last season had just three home games ooc and only one vs a D1 team.

With North Dakota leaving, a round robin makes sense now. I don't like cutting back on ooc play but I understand why they're doing it.
06-29-2018 11:27 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns

It's hard to get OOC home games. As remote as Grand Forks is from the Big Sky towns, Missoula and Moscow and Billings and wherever EWU is are just as far back-of-beyond from California and Texas and the Great Lakes.

2017-18
Montana had 3 Division I OOC home games--Cal State Northridge, UC IRvine, UC Riverside.
SDSU had UC Irvine, Alabama State, North Dakota and Drake.
North Dakota had NDSU, Utah Valley and--wow, thats it.

So the Great Northern OOC challenge schools get to replace non Division I games with DI games, with schools their fans have heard of because theyre on maps.

You dont schedule OOC games with near-future conference mates.
06-30-2018 07:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.