Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why is the Gray-Raycom TV deal important
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
Why is the Gray-Raycom TV deal important
Link
https://www.nunesmagician.com/2018/6/26/...cquisition

Go ask B1G schools how that $51 million check tastes (likely very well).
It’s always about the money. That’s been made evidently clear by the NCAA in our experience dealing with the Indianapolis crew and the offseason news. So let’s have this conversation on those terms.

Gray Television Inc. completed a purchase/merger/corporate marriage with Raycom Media and their properties. This includes Raycom Sports, which Syracuse Orange fans should recognize as the distributor of most of the ACC Network games to date. With this deal, the two companies will combine to form a network that stretches down the Atlantic Coast and into the Midwest (and well beyond). They’ll be the third-largest TV owner in the country.

Why are we writing about this? A few reasons:

Shortly before this story broke, Awful Announcing reported that each B1G School got a B1G Network check of $51 million. This increasing pot is due to the widespread distribution of the B1G Network and it’s increasing value to cable subscribers. The Gray/Raycom merger means more ACC distribution across the country, which should mean more money coming back to schools in a couple years.

For cord-cutting millennials like myself, I have been eagerly awaiting colleges to catch up to professional leagues (MLB, NFL via DIRECTV, NBA) and create an all-access streaming product. The B1G news seems to indicate that the cable money bubble is still growing, deterring any push for such an over-the-top (OTT) platform.

Raycom owns syndicated rights to select ACC games through 2027. That list shrinks over time as the inventory comes under the ESPN-operated ACC Network umbrella. But there will probably be Syracuse-related games on Raycom networks for the next decade.

As you can see on the map above, neither Gray nor Raycom is in New York (or surrounding Pennsylvania and New Jersey) right now. That potentially changes with the increased bargaining power that this merger brings.

Raycom’s long been a partner of the ACC (since 1982), and there’s enough #synergy there to keep that relationship going even past the 2027 date, depending on contracts and what ESPN allows. One could assume that’s almost being banked on by Gray here, too. Those syndicated ACC games have kept Raycom relevant and ultimately add to its value. So while this may not have any immediate impact on Syracuse, the long-term gain has potential.
07-15-2018 07:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
RE: Why is the Gray-Raycom TV deal important
I don't get it - how is this supposed to bring money to the ACC? Raycom bought a percentage of future games at a price and I've never heard of the Raycom side deal having some sort of escalator for wider Raycom distribution. Maybe it does, but I've never heard that.
07-15-2018 08:29 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-15-2018 08:29 PM)Statefan Wrote:  I don't get it - how is this supposed to bring money to the ACC? Raycom bought a percentage of future games at a price and I've never heard of the Raycom side deal having some sort of escalator for wider Raycom distribution. Maybe it does, but I've never heard that.

I don't think the author had his facts straight. IIRC, this is the final year of ACC sports on Raycom; once the ACCN launches, syndicated tv is done. Any future rights through 2027 will have been repurchased by then.
07-15-2018 09:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(07-15-2018 09:30 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(07-15-2018 08:29 PM)Statefan Wrote:  I don't get it - how is this supposed to bring money to the ACC? Raycom bought a percentage of future games at a price and I've never heard of the Raycom side deal having some sort of escalator for wider Raycom distribution. Maybe it does, but I've never heard that.

I don't think the author had his facts straight. IIRC, this is the final year of ACC sports on Raycom; once the ACCN launches, syndicated tv is done. Any future rights through 2027 will have been repurchased by then.

You gotta think one of the big reasons Raycom is cashing out is that they are losing the ACC after this year.
07-16-2018 08:44 AM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
(07-16-2018 08:44 AM)solohawks Wrote:  

You gotta think one of the big reasons Raycom is cashing out is that they are losing the ACC after this year.

Yep, the ACC set aside was the only thing keeping Raycom Sports solvent.
07-16-2018 10:14 AM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke

Don't be so sure that syndicated TV is dead. Those games still have a significant syndication value that you can't get from cable. Duke-UNC and NCSU-UNC make a lot of money in NC. Raycom may be out of the picture and it may be Disney owned stations broadcasting the games but I'll predict that there will still be some syndication.
07-16-2018 10:57 AM
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Syndication may have a new look. They may not get first run games but right now I'd be happy with some heavily edited/shortened versions of last season.
07-16-2018 12:10 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-16-2018 12:10 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  Syndication may have a new look. They may not get first run games but right now I'd be happy with some heavily edited/shortened versions of last season.

Already available - it's called the ACC Digital Network.
07-16-2018 12:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GTFletch Offline
All American

Q. What happens to Raycom?

A. If you’re like me, ACC games on Raycom were a part of your childhood. Few things said “ACC basketball” like sitting near the fireplace on a cold January Saturday and turning on the Raycom Game of the Week, just in time for the intro. Just look at these graphics. And listen to this music.

Takes you back. Alas, though, the days are numbered for ACC games on Raycom.

“Raycom will still have association with ESPN, and with the ACC in some different matters,” Swofford said. “It will be a different relationship, and I think you’ll see Raycom – and I can’t speak for Raycom –but I think you’ll see sort of a repositioning if you will.

“Obviously production’s a big part of Raycom and will be going forward. And Raycom Sports, my understanding is, will continue in that vein.They also do our digital network at this point in time. And there could be some other longer term things that they get into that they may not be in right now.”

But, but … what about the Raycom ACC game of the week?

“No,” Swofford said, dealing a blow to generations of future children who will never experience such grand intro music, or the lively chemistry between the likes of Bob Rathbun and Dan Bonner. “ At that point they will move away from the syndication business.”

Link
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/coll...83782.html
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2018 02:13 PM by GTFletch.)
07-16-2018 02:11 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(07-16-2018 02:11 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  Q. What happens to Raycom?

A. If you’re like me, ACC games on Raycom were a part of your childhood. Few things said “ACC basketball” like sitting near the fireplace on a cold January Saturday and turning on the Raycom Game of the Week, just in time for the intro. Just look at these graphics. And listen to this music.

Takes you back. Alas, though, the days are numbered for ACC games on Raycom.

“Raycom will still have association with ESPN, and with the ACC in some different matters,” Swofford said. “It will be a different relationship, and I think you’ll see Raycom – and I can’t speak for Raycom –but I think you’ll see sort of a repositioning if you will.

“Obviously production’s a big part of Raycom and will be going forward. And Raycom Sports, my understanding is, will continue in that vein.They also do our digital network at this point in time. And there could be some other longer term things that they get into that they may not be in right now.”

But, but … what about the Raycom ACC game of the week?

“No,” Swofford said, dealing a blow to generations of future children who will never experience such grand intro music, or the lively chemistry between the likes of Bob Rathbun and Dan Bonner. “ At that point they will move away from the syndication business.”

Link
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/coll...83782.html

The ACC Network had better find a place for Mike Gminski and Dan Bonner! I think even our new ACC fans like them!
07-16-2018 02:47 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Gminski is a good color guy. Especially when paired with somebody like Wes Durham who can take firm lead so Gminski can chime in when he wants to instead of more forcefully.
07-17-2018 01:48 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Also, for basketball, Brad Doherty is a good color.
07-17-2018 04:02 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
l liked Packer and Thacker.
07-17-2018 08:00 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

Gray Television Inc. completed a purchase/merger/corporate marriage with Raycom Media and their properties. They’ll be the third-largest TV owner in the country.

I think they may make a bid at the the Fox RSNs which have approximately 61 million subscribers across the country and have rights to telecast live games of 44 of 91 (48 percent) US professional sports teams in three of the four major sports leagues," namely Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association, and the National Hockey League.

Link
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018...ox-merger/
07-20-2018 10:59 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
We don't want Raycom to have any part of the ACC Network because any involvement they have will be just like the involvement they have in our current ESPN deal and will come out of our pocket. We just need to let Raycom live or die on their own accord rather than some asinine sense of loyalty to something that hasn't existed for decades.
07-20-2018 11:05 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
(07-16-2018 02:47 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  The ACC Network had better find a place for Mike Gminski and Dan Bonner! I think even our new ACC fans like them!

Well, I don’t speak for all fans of new teams or even all fans of my team, but I definitely like Gminski and Bonner. I like Wes Durham too. I will like all of them better when they start calling us Pitt instead of Pittsburgh, but small steps.

Bonner tends to call us Pitt, but he’s from here so that doesn’t really count.

BTW, this story is a non-factor for us. Everything is going to ESPN starting next year. I have nothing against Raycom, but it’s not part of my nostalgic memories either. I wish them nothing but the best, but we are ESPN’s ***** now.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2018 06:31 PM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
07-21-2018 06:29 PM
Advertisement

GTFletch Offline
All American

Disney Could Sell Fox Regional Sports Networks Back to Murdoch
Link
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d...ch-1155550

The scenario has always made sense, since Fox — the company that will consist of the assets not being sold to Disney for $71 billion — is supposed to be a company focused on sports and news. Murdoch and Fox will certainly have enough money to buy the RSN's given that it is selling most of the company to Disney for $19 billion more than it had originally agreed to accept after Comcast swooped in with an offer and caused a bidding war.
10-27-2018 07:52 AM
GTFletch Offline
All American

Report: Bid Books Out on Fox RSNs....Sports channels could fetch up to $20B
Link
https://www.multichannel.com/news/report...n-fox-rsns

Disney agreed to divest of the RSNs as part of the regulatory approval conditions of the larger Fox deal. According to those conditions, Disney must sell the networks within 90 days after it closes the Fox transaction. Disney has said the Fox deal could close as early as Jan. 1. Sinclair, one of the largest TV station owners in the country with more than 190 owned and operated TV stations, has been said to be lining up private equity companies to help it fund a Fox RSN purchase.
10-27-2018 07:55 AM
OrangeDude Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse

Yeah that site does some great parody and fluff stuff, but hardcore news and reporting has been a big fail over the years. I ignore those types of articles on that site myself.

Cheers,
Neil
10-27-2018 12:12 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-27-2018 12:12 PM)OrangeDude Wrote:  

Yeah that site does some great parody and fluff stuff, but hardcore news and reporting has been a big fail over the years. I ignore those types of articles on that site myself.

Cheers,
Neil

I feel like you had your tongue firmly planted in your cheek as you wrote that... seriously, I have great respect for John Cassillo as a blogger, but I don't know much about the other guy.
10-27-2018 01:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.