Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Twenty Years From Now
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Twenty Years From Now
Will Football still be King?

1. CTE and injury reasons are killing participation levels among certain demographic and geographic areas

2. Technology has made Xennials, Millennials and post-Millennials less willing to work and play outside.

3. Attention spans are like 9 sec...oh look a new app.
07-31-2018 10:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
RE: Twenty Years From Now
20 years from now it will be Y2K all over again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
07-31-2018 10:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(07-31-2018 10:48 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Will Football still be King?

1. CTE and injury reasons are killing participation levels among certain demographic and geographic areas

2. Technology has made Xennials, Millennials and post-Millennials less willing to work and play outside.

It seems to be cyclical. It was baseball for many decades, basketball for a cup of coffee, and now football for the last 20 years.

I think basketball has a chance to recapture its hold, only because its becoming more popular worldwide, and some of the things listed above, may make mroe kids play basketball and baseball more than football.

But at best it will be 1A. I don;t think football will outright lose its crown. It just may have to share it.
07-31-2018 11:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

No idea. Futbol will continue to increase in popularity. The most watched soccer from inside the USA is Liga Mexico (so many Mexicans and other C. Americans in the USA), then EPL, Champions/La Liga, then MLS. I posted info on FC Cincinnati well over a year ago and people here laughed at them getting an MLS bid. They start playing MLS next season.
07-31-2018 11:17 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Football will still be king. With the health issues associated, I can see the sport either remaining the same or becoming more of a speed sport where college and professional athletes have weight limits.

Basketball will still be #2.

Baseball will be the clear #3 unless and until it can figure out a way to shorten the game. Some say cut it seven innings or give it a time limit like 2.5 hours.

Hockey will still be popular enough to maintain as a "big" sport.

Soccer will be a "big" sport. American sports owners HATE the idea of promotion/relegation but with the growing popularity of the sport and the large number of sustainable markets, we may see a two-tier MLS that includes promotion/relegation.

Lacrosse will be the soccer of today surging as a fast-growing sport.
07-31-2018 11:41 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
Thunderdome
07-31-2018 12:01 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I'll be dead.
07-31-2018 12:05 PM
CenterSquarEd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Siena
Rugby is likely a growth area, especially as a safer alternative to American football: no blocking, no high tackling, no helmets, and no forward pass make for a game that balances aggressiveness with a somewhat reduced CTE risk. Americans in current generations already like international competitions more than previous generations and rugby provides another opportunity to play a sport against peer countries. At the collegiate level, an open question will be whether the NCAA takes over governance or whether USA Rugby continues. Most college rugby teams are considered club sports, but it could be moved to varsity status (i.e., run out of the athletic department rather than the student affairs department) with or without NCAA affiliation. Colleges might appreciate the flexibility of a sport that doesn't come with the baggage of the NCAA.
07-31-2018 12:13 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
In 2023-2025 there will be another realignment and then another expansion of the CFP. The P5 will become the P4. The CFP will sign another 12 year agreement and expand to 8 teams.

In 2037, the CFP will expand from 8 teams to 12 teams.

In 2043, the CFP will expand from 12 to 16 teams.
07-31-2018 12:31 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
It'll be professional video gaming
07-31-2018 01:18 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Ted Williams will come back to life

(as will ken d through cryogenics)
07-31-2018 02:18 PM
Advertisement

BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND

Participation will go down as will popularity, but it will still be the King. The NFL will have to change with the times when it comes to technology, meaning they will have to enhance the experience.

Probably smaller stadiums with smaller crowds in favor of more online & streaming with fan interactions. Perhaps attempting a VR experience for viewers (think Ready Player One). Gambling will probably help as well.

Soccer will probably grow, but I don't think it will hit the Big 3.

I WILL make my case for Hockey. People should give it a chance. It's fast, skilled, exciting. Great game. Definitely the best to watch live. The key is to start watching or go to a game with someone who knows the game and explain the rules. Once you figure it out, you'll realize what a wonderful sport it is.
07-31-2018 02:33 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(07-31-2018 11:17 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

No idea. Futbol will continue to increase in popularity. The most watched soccer from inside the USA is Liga Mexico (so many Mexicans and other C. Americans in the USA), then EPL, Champions/La Liga, then MLS. I posted info on FC Cincinnati well over a year ago and people here laughed at them getting an MLS bid. They start playing MLS next season.

The biggest obstacle between MLS and more widespread popularity is that they need to focus more, much more, on improving the quality of play. MLS even has a long way to go to catch up to Liga MX, which itself is well behind the top leagues in Europe. Fans buy tickets to see exhibition games in the US between top European teams, no more meaningful than baseball spring training, because they want to see the best.

College football and basketball have the same challenge going forward. With media being so widespread, no one has to maintain allegiance to a local college team when they can watch every pro game on a phone or laptop if they really want to.

IMO this is more of a threat to college basketball because the gap in quality is so noticeable -- try watching a college game back-to-back with an NBA game sometime. College hoops is going down a road to where it may become something that very few watch until March Madness starts, similar to how few fans watch any pro tennis tournament other than the Grand Slam events.
07-31-2018 02:33 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(07-31-2018 02:33 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

The biggest obstacle between MLS and more widespread popularity is that they need to focus more, much more, on improving the quality of play. MLS even has a long way to go to catch up to Liga MX, which itself is well behind the top leagues in Europe. Fans buy tickets to see exhibition games in the US between top European teams, no more meaningful than baseball spring training, because they want to see the best.

College football and basketball have the same challenge going forward. With media being so widespread, no one has to maintain allegiance to a local college team when they can watch every pro game on a phone or laptop if they really want to.

IMO this is more of a threat to college basketball because the gap in quality is so noticeable -- try watching a college game back-to-back with an NBA game sometime. College hoops is going down a road to where it may become something that very few watch until March Madness starts, similar to how few fans watch any pro tennis tournament other than the Grand Slam events.

Not an expert here, just a casual fan since Cincinnati get their team. I thought MLS did really well in the matches against the MX clubs? Toronto clobbered the MX champions, and MLS swept MX in 2018? MLS will get a significant TV raise next go around. MLS ratings are 5 X better than Bundesliga, but MLS is paid significantly less.
07-31-2018 03:00 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(07-31-2018 11:41 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Football will still be king. With the health issues associated, I can see the sport either remaining the same or becoming more of a speed sport where college and professional athletes have weight limits.

Weight limits for players would be interesting.

Something like 275 pounds for lineman and 250 otherwise.

It might lead to a focus on of 2 TE sets to take advantage of the 275 lineman weight loophole.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2018 03:09 PM by Kittonhead.)
07-31-2018 03:08 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(07-31-2018 03:08 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(07-31-2018 11:41 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Football will still be king. With the health issues associated, I can see the sport either remaining the same or becoming more of a speed sport where college and professional athletes have weight limits.

Weight limits for players would be interesting.

Something like 275 pounds for lineman and 250 otherwise.

It might lead to a focus on of 2 TE sets to take advantage of the 275 lineman weight loophole.

Nah won't happen.
07-31-2018 03:37 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(07-31-2018 03:00 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(07-31-2018 02:33 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Not an expert here, just a casual fan since Cincinnati get their team. I thought MLS did really well in the matches against the MX clubs? Toronto clobbered the MX champions, and MLS swept MX in 2018? MLS will get a significant TV raise next go around. MLS ratings are 5 X better than Bundesliga, but MLS is paid significantly less.

The best MLS teams are better than the best MLS teams of several years ago - Toronto did better vs. Liga MX teams than any MLS team has done in awhile, even though Toronto lost the final to Chivas - but watch a few games from each league and it's not hard to see the difference. MLS needs to pay those solid-starter-but-not-superstar players more money to attract better players to fill those roles. As far as TV -- Fox is paying very little for Bundesliga US TV rights. Reportedly they pay about $20-30 million/year total for Bundesliga TV rights including not only the US but Brazil and several other countries. Also, because of the time difference, all of the Euro leagues play in the morning US time, which is not as good for TV as evenings and weekend afternoons. And, US Soccer has packaged MLS TV rights together with the much more popular US national team TV rights, so that ESPN and Fox have to buy both together. If MLS rights were sold separately the price wouldn't be nearly as high.
07-31-2018 03:47 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
In twenty years soccer will still be a wussy sport for wussy’s
07-31-2018 04:27 PM
EerMeNow Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU

Football will not be king for the exact reasons you mentioned, sir. I would consider adding to your list the politicization of the NFL and their inability to navigate the choppy waters.

People already seem to be losing interest.
07-31-2018 06:29 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(07-31-2018 12:13 PM)CenterSquarEd Wrote:  Rugby is likely a growth area, especially as a safer alternative to American football: no blocking, no high tackling, no helmets, and no forward pass make for a game that balances aggressiveness with a somewhat reduced CTE risk. Americans in current generations already like international competitions more than previous generations and rugby provides another opportunity to play a sport against peer countries. At the collegiate level, an open question will be whether the NCAA takes over governance or whether USA Rugby continues. Most college rugby teams are considered club sports, but it could be moved to varsity status (i.e., run out of the athletic department rather than the student affairs department) with or without NCAA affiliation. Colleges might appreciate the flexibility of a sport that doesn't come with the baggage of the NCAA.

I can see a combination of football with rugby aspects. No helmets, min blocking, no pads but mostly passing plays and runs using sweeps.
Tackling will be rugby like and like in Rugby League rules, you get 6 downs to score. Maybe add a couple more total downs. Like 8 total downs.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2018 11:51 PM by MWC Tex.)
07-31-2018 11:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.