Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ohio State coach Urban Meyer knew in 2015 of domestic abuse allegations
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
Ohio State coach Urban Meyer knew in 2015 of domestic abuse allegations
https://www.facebook.com/TheBrettMcMurph...7522486968

Trouble in paradise.

If this is in fact true, is Urban on the hot seat or does winning mean more at tOSU?
08-01-2018 10:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nittany_Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
RE: Ohio State coach Urban Meyer knew in 2015 of domestic abuse allegations
That's one report is one hell of a SMOKING gun.

Gene Smith (Ohio State AD) is a bit of a clown, but I also think he generally does the right thing (even if it takes him a while to get there). I can definitely see this costing Urban his job. Meyer told a bald-face LIE last week at B1G Media days.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2018 10:24 AM by Nittany_Bearcat.)
08-01-2018 10:24 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Wow. This is bad. Really bad.
08-01-2018 10:38 AM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
If people think Harbaugh was on a hot seat in Ann Arbor, Urban just flew by him. With practice starting on Friday.... OSU has to make a decision quick.
08-01-2018 10:45 AM
seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
Tressel was told to resign for much less. If this is true, Urban Meyer's seat is now sitting on the sun.
08-01-2018 10:51 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
From reading the article, highly likely he knew.
08-01-2018 11:02 AM
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
I used to have a lot of employees. Domestic disputes between spouses and lovers were as rampant as hanky panky between employees.

If the abuser works for you and the spouse and children are dependent on his salary for their economic welfare, and the abuser does his job - what do you do? If you do nothing to the abuser it can be alleged you are facilitating the abuse. If you can the abuser you just sentence the spouse and children to a situation where the abuser is still there but now with no money or career. Your counsel will tell you not to comment about their private lives. If you say no comment, the press will take that as a confirmation of things.

What you are left with is a moral and practical dilemma where the only ethical thing is to lie to anyone who asks about it unless the people doing the asking are law enforcement or the courts. I've not ****-canned people in the past because I liked or knew their children.

OSU may very well get rid of Urban, but in a complicated world what was he supposed to do? To me what matters is what he told Administration when asked.

But taken one step further, if I know an employee is boinking someone who is not his wife, do I intervene and if so how? In the State of NC, adultery is in fact illegal - do I have a legal obligation to tell the DA if my staff members are cheating on their spouse? Do I have the obligation to do something if one spouse is beating on the other, but not adultery?

It's a slippery slope all the way down to the tar pit.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2018 11:12 AM by Statefan.)
08-01-2018 11:06 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(08-01-2018 11:06 AM)Statefan Wrote:  I used to have a lot of employees. Domestic disputes between spouses and lovers were as rampant as hanky panky between employees.

If the abuser works for you and the spouse and children are dependent on his salary for their economic welfare, and the abuser does his job - what do you do? If you do nothing to the abuser it can be alleged you are facilitating the abuse. If you can the abuser you just sentence the spouse and children to a situation where the abuser is still there but now with no money or career. Your counsel will tell you not to comment about their private lives. If you say no comment, the press will take that as a confirmation of things.

What you are left with is a moral and practical dilemma where the only ethical thing is to lie to anyone who asks about it unless the people doing the asking are law enforcement or the courts. I've not ****-canned people in the past because I liked or knew their children.

OSU may very well get rid of Urban, but in a complicated world what was he supposed to do? To me what matters is what he told Administration when asked.

But taken one step further, if I know an employee is boinking someone who is not his wife, do I intervene and if so how? In the State of NC, adultery is in fact illegal - do I have a legal obligation to tell the DA if my staff members are cheating on their spouse? Do I have the obligation to do something if one spouse is beating on the other, but not adultery?

The difference is Title 9. But yeah slippery slope exists. Men get kicked out of colleges and universities based on allegations. Tons of lawsuits out there regarding this.
08-01-2018 11:20 AM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
I thought Title IX gave certain rights to Female students. How is a non-student spouse covered under Title IX?

d. Off-premises misconduct
Sexual harassment may be prohibited even when it does not occur on the program provider’s premises, as long as the off-premises activity during which the sexual harassment takes place relates to the covered educational program. Crandell, D.O. v. New York College of Osteopathic Med., 87 F. Supp. 2d 304 (S.D.N.Y. 2000)(off-campus misconduct actionable under Title IX where harassment occurred in clinic during the student’s paid internship). Thus, harassment that occurred off the premises of an education program operated by a recipient of federal assistance would be covered. For example, if a federally assisted museum conducted a lecture series which included field trips away from the museum, harassment that occurred on the field trips would be covered.
e. Appropriate Remedial Measures
Although courts have not yet ruled on what measures are appropriate for a recipient to take to remedy sex harassment in a context not involving an educational institution, the Department of Education’s Sexual Harassment Guidance provides a starting point for analysis. If an educational provider determines that sexual harassment has occurred, it should take reasonable, timely, appropriate corrective action, including steps tailored to the specific situation. Sexual Harassment Guidance at 66104 - 66106. For example, the provider may need to counsel, warn, or take more serious disciplinary action against the harasser, based on the severity of the harassment or any record of prior incidents. Sexual Harassment Guidance at 66104. In some instances, it may be appropriate to further separate the harassed participant and the harasser, or direct the harasser to have no further contact with the participant. These corrective measures should be designed to minimize, as much as possible, the burden on the participant who was harassed. Id.
In some situations, a provider may be required to provide other services to the participant who was harassed, if necessary to address the effects of the harassment. For instance, if an instructor gave a low grade to a participant because the participant failed to respond to the teacher’s advances, the provider may be required to make arrangements for an independent assessment of the participant’s work and, if necessary, change the grade accordingly, make arrangements for the student to take the course again with a different instructor, provide tutoring and/or counseling, or take other measures that are appropriate under the circumstances. Id. In addition, the provider will also need to take steps to prevent the recurrence of harassment such as requiring the harasser to attend counseling, or even training the entire staff to ensure that they understand what types of conduct can cause sexual harassment and that they know how to respond. Id. at 66105. Under appropriate circumstances, the provider may find it necessary to terminate the harasser’s employment.
Furthermore, a policy specifically prohibiting sexual harassment and separate grievance procedures for violations of that policy can help ensure that all participants, instructors, employees, third parties, etc. understand the nature of sexual harassment and that the education program provider will not tolerate such conduct. Id.

The above is from Title IX, maybe I am missing something but I just don't see a cause of action. Also, the coach beating his wife is not gender discrimination as I see it - it's assault - it's a ****** thing to do that is against the law, but it's not a gender specific thing. Yes the spouse is a female, but what if the coach were Gay and beating the **** out his male spouse? I agree it's bad, but I just don't see the Title IX implications. Maybe I missed that part.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2018 12:38 PM by Statefan.)
08-01-2018 12:28 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(08-01-2018 11:06 AM)Statefan Wrote:  I used to have a lot of employees. Domestic disputes between spouses and lovers were as rampant as hanky panky between employees.

Courtney Smith filed for divorce in 2015.

While I understand your reasoning(even though I don't agree with your conclusion), there was no household income to protect once the couple separated.

It's obvious now that Meyer looked the other way until everything became public. He lied about his knowledge of the events because he knew the implications.
08-01-2018 12:48 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

(08-01-2018 12:48 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

Courtney Smith filed for divorce in 2015.

While I understand your reasoning(even though I don't agree with your conclusion), there was no household income to protect once the couple separated.

It's obvious now that Meyer looked the other way until everything became public. He lied about his knowledge of the events because he knew the implications.

That's what I thought. I find it hard to believe that his wife said NOTHING to him following her conversations with the victim.

If he didn't know, then shame on his wife. If he did know, I don't see how tOSU can keep him as head coach.

Of course, the end result will be he'll sit out a year, someone will hire him as an analyst, then he'll be back in coaching within 3-4 years.
08-01-2018 12:59 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Headline seems innacurate. The report doesn't provide proof that Urban knew.
08-01-2018 01:09 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
I think this is the end for Meyer
08-01-2018 01:11 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Is Urban about to develop sudden "health concerns" again?
08-01-2018 01:11 PM
Blazer4Life14 Offline
One of “Kent’s People”

I Root For: UAB, Pro Sports
Living in Ohio and not being an OSU fan is currently very interesting
08-01-2018 01:35 PM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
It would be interesting to see who Ohio State targets as Meyer's replacement if he's fired.
08-01-2018 01:38 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(08-01-2018 01:38 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  It would be interesting to see who Ohio State targets as Meyer's replacement if he's fired.

just looking- probably would be either Kevin Wilson or Greg Schiano.
08-01-2018 01:45 PM
loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
Urban Meyer now meeting with the AD.
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ssion=true
08-01-2018 01:46 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

(08-01-2018 01:09 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Headline seems innacurate. The report doesn't provide proof that Urban knew.

You're right, there is no solid proof, but the circumstantial evidence is pretty damning.

Coaches have gone down for far less.
08-01-2018 01:48 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Call me cynical if you like, but ...

Colorado's head coach Mike MacIntyre ignored a complaint from an assistant's ex-girlfriend about domestic abuse and then blocked her phone number. MacIntyre then promoted the assistant to defensive play-caller for a bowl game. The assistant was only forced to resign after a newspaper reported on the restraining order that the ex-girlfriend obtained. After a university investigation, MacIntyre and the athletic director were each fined $100,000.

MacIntyre hasn't won any conference titles or national titles at CU, in fact he has only one winning season there.

Meyer has a national title at Ohio State, plus conference titles, and his Ohio State teams are 73-8 overall.

I would not assume that Meyer will be punished more harshly than MacIntyre.
08-01-2018 02:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.