Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Urban Meyer: Could Academic Scandals be the straw that sends him packing?
HawkeyeCoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BYU
Urban Meyer: Could Academic Scandals be the straw that sends him packing?
First, let me say that Urban is a heck of a coach. Would gladly trade him for our coach if I could.

However, there really is more to being a university coach than the product on the field. Ohio State is big enough and spends enough that they are able to attract any number of good coaches. The question is whether Urban's problems (and his wife's problems) are enough to fire him.

There is a second problem that may come up - academic cheating. It is believed to be fairly common in university athletics for the athletes to cheat on their schoolwork. However, it is fairly rare to have a person who participated in the cheating write an article about it.

There is an article detailing extensive cheating written by a former grad student/TA at the University of Utah - Urban's previous coaching gig.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xd5vk...in-college

It is entirely possible that similar stuff has been going on at Ohio State, and Meyer has been sweeping it under the rug, just like he did at Utah. I think Urban can survive one scandal. I am not too sure about him surviving two scandals.
08-07-2018 04:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
RE: Urban Meyer: Could Academic Scandals be the straw that sends him packing?
I believe you could have done a little more research on this one before you posted.

The story states it all started in 2007. Urban Meyer was at Utah in 2003-2004. Meyer had already won a national championship at Florida by 2007. Or maybe you knew that and was just trying to start trouble.

Now Kyle Whittingham, who has been the football coach at Utah since 2005, might be in trouble, but the story does not even say which players on which teams cheated.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2018 04:57 PM by goofus.)
08-07-2018 04:55 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(08-07-2018 04:55 PM)goofus Wrote:  I believe you could have done a little more research on this one before you posted.

The story states it all started in 2007. Urban Meyer was at Utah in 2003-2004. Meyer had already won a national championship at Florida by 2007. Or maybe you knew that and was just trying to start trouble.

Now Kyle Whittingham, who has been the football coach at Utah since 2005, might be in trouble, but the story does not even say which players on which teams cheated.

He’s a BYU fan. BYU fans hate Utah. Of course he was trying to start trouble when he referenced Urban Meyer and Utah. Urban Meyer coached at Utah for 2 seasons a couple of (15) years ago.
08-07-2018 05:46 PM
Advertisement

HawkeyeCoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BYU
Academic cheating appears to be rather common. It is more rare for a participant to actually come out in an article stating it directly. While the article does not cover Urban's years as coach, it is obvious the culture was there.

Should similar indiscretions be found at Ohio State, it would be likely to push it over the top, and fire him. This is perhaps the risk of any small scandal in Div 1 athletics: any little push, and the large scale violations may come out if someone has an ax to grind.
08-07-2018 06:59 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
Didn’t he leave Bowling Green for Utah?

Didn’t he enable Aaron Rodriguez at Florida? His Florida resignation was always suspicious to me. I believed it at first but you don’t cite health concerns and family time as a reason to retire and take the Ohio State gig, a job as demanding or probably more demanding as Florida.
08-07-2018 07:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.