Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Weird rule in Maryland vs Texas
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Weird rule in Maryland vs Texas
Texas punts, ball sails badly out of bounds, appeared to break the plane of the sideline around the Maryland 27, which is where the ref spots it. So Maryland is lining up to run a play from there when the refs blow the whistle and say the punt play is under review. After review, the ball is moved back to the MD 21. Turns out the Maryland punt returner ran off the field and caught the ball at the equivalent of the 21. Even though he was a good 3 yards out of bounds when he caught it, apparently his body is considered still in play so that is where the ball is supposed to be spotted... i didn't know that rule.

And clearly the MD punt returner didn't either. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2018 01:12 PM by quo vadis.)
09-01-2018 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: Weird rule in Maryland vs Texas
Didn't know it either.

I hate how the UT player got ejected for targeting. He bends way down to hit the MD QB running in the side or shoulder with his shoulder pads and the MD QB slides his head right into the UT player's shoulder. Totally caused by the MD QB (although unintentional) and out of control of the defender. But that's the rule. Shoulder to head and automatic ejection no matter how it happens.

They need to give some thought to the automatic ejection.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2018 01:19 PM by bullet.)
09-01-2018 01:18 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
RE: Weird rule in Maryland vs Texas
(09-01-2018 01:18 PM)bullet Wrote:  Didn't know it either.

I hate how the UT player got ejected for targeting. He bends way down to hit the MD QB running in the side or shoulder with his shoulder pads and the MD QB slides his head right into the UT player's shoulder. Totally caused by the MD QB (although unintentional) and out of control of the defender. But that's the rule. Shoulder to head and automatic ejection no matter how it happens.

They need to give some thought to the automatic ejection.

I've been saying this for two decades. If it's a running back (and not a receiver), 7 out of 10 hits to the head are because the RB is using his helmet as a weapon.

It's gotten even worse now that defenders are punished so harshly for head hits. Nowadays RBs are actually incentivized to lead with their head.
09-01-2018 02:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.