Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

VOTE FOR 32! Which CFB programs should be included in a Top 32 breakaway?
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
VOTE FOR 32! Which CFB programs should be included in a Top 32 breakaway?
Vote for 32 college football programs you think should be included in a Top 32 breakaway scenario. I'll tally the votes as we go and post running totals.

The details of the breakaway aren't important. Maybe they're leaving the NCAA and becoming an official farm system for the NFL. Or maybe they're simply becoming a new top tier of the Division I football pyramid.

NOTE: Vote for exactly 32! No more, no less. Otherwise your votes don't count in the total.

Totals as of 10/4/18, 11:40 AM EDT

1. Alabama: 20 (100%)
1. Florida: 20 (100%)
1. Florida State: 20 (100%)
1. Georgia: 20 (100%)
1. LSU: 20 (100%)
1. Michigan: 20 (100%)
1. Notre Dame: 20 (100%)
1. Ohio State: 20 (100%)
1. Oklahoma: 20 (100%)
1. Penn State: 20 (100%)
1. Tennessee: 20 (100%)
1. Texas: 20 (100%)
1. Texas A&M: 20 (100%)
1. USC: 20 (100%)
1. Washington: 20 (100%)
16. Nebraska: 19 (95%)
16. Wisconsin: 19 (95%)
18. Auburn: 18 (90%)
18. Clemson: 18 (90%)
18. Iowa: 18 (90%)
18. Oregon: 18 (90%)
22. Michigan State: 17 (85%)
23. UCLA: 16 (80%)
23. Virginia Tech: 16 (80%)
25. Miami-FL: 14 (70%)
26. Colorado: 13 (65%)
26. Stanford: 13 (65%)
28. Arkansas: 12 (60%)
29. North Carolina: 11 (55%)
30. Missouri: 9 (45%)
30. Ole Miss: 9 (45%)
30. South Carolina: 9 (45%)
30. West Virginia: 9 (45%)

------------
34. Arizona State: 7 (35%)
34. California: 7 (35%)
36. Illinois: 6 (30%)
36. Kansas: 6 (30%)
36. Kentucky: 6 (30%)
39. Arizona: 5 (25%)
39. BYU: 5 (25%)
41. Georgia Tech: 4 (20%)
41. Minnesota: 4 (20%)
41. Virginia: 4 (20%)
44. Indiana: 3 (15%)
44. Mississippi State: 3 (15%)
44. Pittsburgh: 3 (15%)
44. Syracuse: 3 (15%)
48. Duke: 2 (10%)
48. Houston: 2 (10%)
48. TCU: 2 (10%)
51. Boise State: 1 (5%)
51. Boston College: 1 (5%)
51. Central Florida: 1 (5%)
51. Cincinnati: 1 (5%)
51. Iowa State: 1 (5%)
51. Louisville: 1 (5%)
51. Maryland: 1 (5%)
51. NC State: 1 (5%)
51. Rutgers: 1 (5%)
51. Utah: 1 (5%)
61. Baylor: 0 (0%)
61. Kansas State: 0 (0%)
61. Northwestern: 0 (0%)
61. Oklahoma State: 0 (0%)
61. Oregon State: 0 (0%)
61. Purdue: 0 (0%)
61. Texas Tech: 0 (0%)
61. Vanderbilt: 0 (0%)
61. Wake Forest: 0 (0%)
61. Washington State: 0 (0%)
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2018 10:40 AM by Nerdlinger.)
09-11-2018 03:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
RE: VOTE FOR 32!
In order of desirability. I'm also including points for basketball and the desirability of the school as a partner (academics/market):

Tier 1
Texas
Ohio State
Michigan
Florida

Tier 2
USC
Michigan State
Notre Dame

Tier 3
Wisconsin
Penn State
Texas A&M
Florida State
Louisiana State
Oklahoma

Tier 4
Georgia
Washington
UCLA
Cal
Stanford
Arizona
North Carolina

Tier 5
Virginia Tech
Tennessee
Georgia Tech
Alabama

Tier 6
BYU
Maryland
Virginia
Illinois
Syracuse
Utah

Tier 7 (these are interchangable with a half dozen other schools)
Iowa
Arizona State
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2018 04:45 PM by Captain Bearcat.)
09-11-2018 04:44 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: VOTE FOR 32! Which CFB programs should be included in a Top 32 breakaway scenario?
First of all this idea circulated in the early 70's and had some traction until the fan bases and school presidents started lamenting the absence of traditional foes and historic connections. So the concept which was hyped some by John McKay and Bear Bryant fell by the wayside.

Secondly, if there is a break away to 32 Basketball won't have a thing to do with it and neither will academics. It will be a cash grab plain and simple by the biggest brands and a few schools who are in great markets and carry those markets without having to be stellar in football.

So considerations should be made for those programs who are the most marketable and profitable now, and which have the best attendance.

It will be about football and money and nothing else!

From the Big 10:

Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Iowa. (7)

From the ACC:

Clemson, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia Tech (6)

From the Big 12:

Oklahoma, Texas, West Virginia (3)

From the PAC:

U.S.C., U.C.L.A., Stanford, Washington, Oregon (5)

From the SEC:

Alabama, Arkansas. Auburn, Florida, Georgia, L.S.U., Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M (10)

From Independents:

Notre Dame (1)
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2018 05:16 PM by JRsec.)
09-11-2018 04:48 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: VOTE FOR 32! Which CFB programs should be included in a Top 32 breakaway scenario?
My two cents: You have to cover the most populated states. Basketball counts too. Baseball, Women Hoops, Hockey and Lacrosse lesser so.
09-11-2018 04:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BePcr07 Online
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Here's my 32 by conference, alphabetically:

PAC: California, Colorado, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington
XII: Oklahoma, Texas
B1G: Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St, Nebraska, Ohio St, Penn St, Wisconsin
SEC: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M
ACC: Clemson, Florida St, Miami, Virginia Tech
IND: Notre Dame

---

In no particular, my next 5: Minnesota, Arizona, Arizona St, North Carolina St, Georgia Tech
09-11-2018 04:56 PM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
UCLA, USC, Oregon, Washington, Arizona State, California, Oklahoma, Texas
Kansas, Texas A&M, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn St, Illinois
Nebraska, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Clemson
North Carolina, Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, Virginia, Auburn, Kentucky, Indiana
09-11-2018 05:09 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

Just want to say that a top 32 would never fly...
09-11-2018 05:09 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
I already listed mine in the thread that started this:

https://csnbbs.com/thread-857793.html

As for comparing it to the '70's attempt, none of those presidents are around any more. None of the conferences that existed back then are the same (every P5 conference has changed at least twice since then, and traditional foes like Pitt/Penn State, Pitt/WVU, Kansas/Missouri, Texas/TAMU, Oklahoma/Nebraska) have already been torn apart. And none of the nostalgic presidents are left, either.

As for "it'll never fly," they said the same thing when the NCAA only let teams be on TV once a year. Or when they said there would never be a playoff. Never underestimate the greed that universities have. They already make billions of dollars and "pay" their "employees" a small fraction of what their labor is worth while systematically forbidding them from profiting from their own likenesses. The only thing that would derail something like this would be politicians from states with schools on the outside looking in who would suddenly be staring down the barrel of what they've forced the G5 to endure in the past.

USFFan
09-11-2018 05:57 PM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

(09-11-2018 05:57 PM)usffan Wrote:  I already listed mine in the thread that started this:

As for comparing it to the '70's attempt, none of those presidents are around any more. None of the conferences that existed back then are the same (every P5 conference has changed at least twice since then, and traditional foes like Pitt/Penn State, Pitt/WVU, Kansas/Missouri, Texas/TAMU, Oklahoma/Nebraska) have already been torn apart. And none of the nostalgic presidents are left, either.

As for "it'll never fly," they said the same thing when the NCAA only let teams be on TV once a year. Or when they said there would never be a playoff. Never underestimate the greed that universities have. They already make billions of dollars and "pay" their "employees" a small fraction of what their labor is worth while systematically forbidding them from profiting from their own likenesses. The only thing that would derail something like this would be politicians from states with schools on the outside looking in who would suddenly be staring down the barrel of what they've forced the G5 to endure in the past.

USFFan

32 is too small of a number. You are too focused on football. If you exclude Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, Duke, etc from your top football league, they are going to exclude the Alabamas of the world from the top basketball league.
09-11-2018 06:02 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
West Virginia
Virginia Tech
Clemson
Georgia
Miami
Florida
Florida State
Tennessee
Auburn
Alabama
Louisiana State
Syracuse
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Wisconsin
Colorado
Nebraska
Iowa State
Missouri
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Christian
Oregon
Southern California
UCLA
edit: + Washington
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2018 10:13 PM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
09-11-2018 06:10 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

(09-11-2018 06:02 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(09-11-2018 05:57 PM)usffan Wrote:  I already listed mine in the thread that started this:

USFFan

32 is too small of a number. You are too focused on football. If you exclude Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, Duke, etc from your top football league, they are going to exclude the Alabamas of the world from the top basketball league.

Who says that those schools wouldn't/couldn't compete in the NCAA for all other sports? They would all just drop football as an NCAA sport (instead competing as a member of the Premier League), and if they were forced to form their own leagues within the NCAA, they could do so.

USFFan
09-11-2018 06:17 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

(09-11-2018 06:17 PM)usffan Wrote:  

USFFan

Who says that those schools wouldn't/couldn't compete in the NCAA for all other sports? They would all just drop football as an NCAA sport (instead competing as a member of the Premier League), and if they were forced to form their own leagues within the NCAA, they could do so.

USFFan

Again, why wouldn't the Basketball schools then do the same thing? You really think they are going to stand by and let 32 "football bluebloods" breakaway with zero impact on the rest of the athletic programs?
09-11-2018 06:33 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

(09-11-2018 06:33 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(09-11-2018 06:17 PM)usffan Wrote:  

USFFan

USFFan

Again, why wouldn't the Basketball schools then do the same thing? You really think they are going to stand by and let 32 "football bluebloods" breakaway with zero impact on the rest of the athletic programs?

Two things. First - the money for basketball is controlled by the NCAA (unlike football). So the "basketball" schools would have to leave the NCAA to do the same thing. If they decided they wanted to completely leave the NCAA, then they could indeed try to do the same thing, but they would lose their biggest cash cow - the NCAA tournament. Second, if they seceded from the NCAA with their own 32, they'd gut their postseason that is essentially the sole source of their income (as well as walking away from the money and unit equity they've built into the NCAA tournament. Football makes so much more money than basketball, though, that their best hope would be to get a Big East like deal from Fox, and the rumblings are that even that money is unlikely to ever be matched.

So, in the words of Corey Booker, "bring it."

USFFan
09-11-2018 09:10 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(09-11-2018 04:48 PM)JRsec Wrote:  if there is a break away to 32 Basketball won't have a thing to do with it and neither will academics. It will be a cash grab plain and simple by the biggest brands and a few schools who are in great markets and carry those markets without having to be stellar in football.

/thread.
09-11-2018 09:59 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
ACC:
-Clemson
-Florida State
-North Carolina
-Virginia
-Miami
-Virginia Tech

Big Ten:
-Michigan
-Ohio State
-Penn State
-Wisconsin
-Nebraska
-Iowa

Big XII:
-Texas
-Oklahoma
-Kansas
-West Virginia

Pac-12:
-USC
-Cal
-Arizona State
-Washington
-Oregon
-Colorado

SEC:
-Florida
-Alabama
-Texas A&M
-Louisiana State
-Tennessee
-Georgia

Independent:
-Notre Dame
-BYU

G5:
-Cincinnati
-Houston
09-11-2018 10:58 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(09-11-2018 04:48 PM)JRsec Wrote:  First of all this idea circulated in the early 70's and had some traction until the fan bases and school presidents started lamenting the absence of traditional foes and historic connections. So the concept which was hyped some by John McKay and Bear Bryant fell by the wayside.

Secondly, if there is a break away to 32 Basketball won't have a thing to do with it and neither will academics. It will be a cash grab plain and simple by the biggest brands and a few schools who are in great markets and carry those markets without having to be stellar in football.

So considerations should be made for those programs who are the most marketable and profitable now, and which have the best attendance.

From the Big 10:

Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Iowa. (7)

From the ACC:

Clemson, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia Tech (6)

From the Big 12:

Oklahoma, Texas, West Virginia (3)

From the PAC:

U.S.C., U.C.L.A., Stanford, Washington, Oregon (5)

From the SEC:

Alabama, Arkansas. Auburn, Florida, Georgia, L.S.U., Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M (10)

From Independents:

Notre Dame (1)

I think JRSEC is on the right track but don't think you need duplicate teams in Michigan, South Carolina, North Carolina and L.A., when there are other states with no one represented. Plus Kansas and Kentucky carry their states, they're just basketball states.

So, I'd drop Michigan State, South Carolina, UCLA and N.C. State and add Arizona State, Kansas, Kentucky and Colorado.
09-11-2018 11:05 PM
Advertisement

P5PACSEC Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5- Texas Tech
Can we send El Paso to Mexico?

It would improve the state of Texas
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2018 11:07 PM by P5PACSEC.)
09-11-2018 11:06 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

For basketball (based on FBS membership):

ACC:
-Syracuse
-Louisville
-Duke
-North Carolina
-North Carolina State
-Virginia
-Notre Dame

Big Ten:
-Michigan
-Ohio State
-Indiana
-Illinois
-Michigan State
-Wisconsin
-Maryland

Big XII:
-Texas
-Iowa State
-Oklahoma
-Kansas
-West Virginia

Pac-12:
-UCLA
-Arizona
-Utah
-Stanford
-Washington

SEC:
-Kentucky
-Florida
-Tennessee
-Missouri
-Auburn

G5:
-UConn
-UNLV
-BYU
09-11-2018 11:08 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

(09-11-2018 11:06 PM)P5PACSEC Wrote:  Can we send El Paso to Mexico?

Yeah so funny. You got me. Cool story bro.

But I’ll say this, Lubbock makes El Paso look like a world class, cosmopolitan city. And please do me a favor, do not derail this thread.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2018 11:11 PM by UTEPDallas.)
09-11-2018 11:09 PM
P5PACSEC Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5- Texas Tech
(09-11-2018 11:09 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  
(09-11-2018 11:06 PM)P5PACSEC Wrote:  Can we send El Paso to Mexico?

Yeah so funny. You got me. Cool story bro.

But I’ll say this, Lubbock makes El Paso look like a world class, cosmopolitan city. And please do me a favor, do not derail this thread.

Stop your BS agenda against Tech and hope Texas doesn't give El Paso back to Mexico
09-11-2018 11:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.