Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Hurricane Florence Watch
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
OT: Hurricane Florence Watch
Live cam from Frying Pan Shoals:

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2018 10:03 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
09-13-2018 10:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
RE: OT: Hurricane Florence Watch
Windy? Check
Wavy? Check
09-13-2018 10:07 AM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
looks like a lot of the hype about this storm has died down. eye wall collapsed...115 mile an hour winds... Florence is probably not going to be the catastrophe it looked to be as recently as yesterday morning...
09-13-2018 10:32 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(09-13-2018 10:32 AM)No Bull Wrote:  looks like a lot of the hype about this storm has died down. eye wall collapsed...115 mile an hour winds... Florence is probably not going to be the catastrophe it looked to be as recently as yesterday morning...

I don't know if I'd call it "hype" when it comes to things that normally kill scores of people and destroy millions.

But let's hope and pray we were better safe than sorry this time.
09-13-2018 10:39 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(09-13-2018 10:39 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(09-13-2018 10:32 AM)No Bull Wrote:  looks like a lot of the hype about this storm has died down. eye wall collapsed...115 mile an hour winds... Florence is probably not going to be the catastrophe it looked to be as recently as yesterday morning...

I don't know if I'd call it "hype" when it comes to things that normally kill scores of people and destroy millions.

My 9 year old got the entire week off of school and we are expecting 2 inches of rain and 30 mph wind gusts. Monday through yesterday, the weather was beautiful.

I'd say that was overhyped and maybe they should have waited until there was a better handle of where this thing was going with a narrower cone, no?
09-13-2018 10:43 AM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
North America is a very effective hurricane break, but that doesn't mean the break doesn't lose some dust in the process.
09-13-2018 10:51 AM
Advertisement

NIUAlum90 Offline
All American

(09-13-2018 10:03 AM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  Live cam from Frying Pan Shoals:

And the flag was still there.

Oh, say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave?
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
09-13-2018 10:52 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Some of the problem is we so much more data now while the storms are further out to sea.

In another decade or two we'll have enough of the new data to make better predictions.

Right now they are seeing at Cat 4 in the open sea and panicking. The reality is lots of smaller hurricanes in the past were probably that powerful out at sea but we couldn't measure them like we do now.
09-13-2018 10:55 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(09-13-2018 10:43 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

My 9 year old got the entire week off of school and we are expecting 2 inches of rain and 30 mph wind gusts. Monday through yesterday, the weather was beautiful.

I'd say that was overhyped and maybe they should have waited until there was a better handle of where this thing was going with a narrower cone, no?

sounds like a local issue.
09-13-2018 11:25 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Yeah that cone on Monday (3 days out) that stretched from Hilton Head to the Virginia Eastern Shore was ridiculous. That was when all the decisions were made to shut down schools and commerce and evacuate. The NHC shares much of this blame and needs to do better. Understand erring on the side of caution, but this was crying wolf, and in the long run, their credibility will be damaged next time and more people will ignore the evacuations.
09-13-2018 11:28 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(09-13-2018 11:25 AM)fsquid Wrote:  

Partly state, partly local, partly federal. All the state and local decisions were made based on that ridiculous cone that basically included everyone outside of Florida 3 days out. Just one big circle of incompetence.
09-13-2018 11:31 AM
Advertisement

Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
Good tv ratings though.
09-13-2018 11:48 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

The issue is that you just can't put it off. If you try to evacuate millions at the last moments, you have an even bigger problem.
09-13-2018 12:25 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(09-13-2018 11:31 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(09-13-2018 11:25 AM)fsquid Wrote:  

Partly state, partly local, partly federal. All the state and local decisions were made based on that ridiculous cone that basically included everyone outside of Florida 3 days out. Just one big circle of incompetence.

When it is that far out, a few degrees on the compass heading can mean almost 1,000 miles difference in landfall. The difference is that our local people don't really freak out since this is a yearly exercise for us.
09-13-2018 12:26 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(09-13-2018 12:25 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

The issue is that you just can't put it off. If you try to evacuate millions at the last moments, you have an even bigger problem.

If there was ever a scenario where millions would have to evacuate, it would be panic and chaos anyway. Fact of the matter is, with anything that could come our way aside from maybe a Chinese military invasion, 90% of us are safer just staying put inside their homes. If I am looking at a 2-week power outage like after Isabel, then I'll probably leave after the fact.
09-13-2018 01:27 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(09-13-2018 01:27 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

If there was ever a scenario where millions would have to evacuate, it would be panic and chaos anyway. Fact of the matter is, with anything that could come our way aside from maybe a Chinese military invasion, 90% of us are safer just staying put inside their homes. If I am looking at a 2-week power outage like after Isabel, then I'll probably leave after the fact.

Right...that worked well for NOLA. 03-zzz
09-13-2018 01:52 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

Flag's ripped.
09-13-2018 01:59 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(09-13-2018 01:52 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(09-13-2018 10:39 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  I don't know if I'd call it "hype" when it comes to things that normally kill scores of people and destroy millions.

The number of people that needed to evacuate NOLA was not in the millions or anywhere close to it.
09-13-2018 02:14 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
(09-13-2018 01:52 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(09-13-2018 10:39 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  I don't know if I'd call it "hype" when it comes to things that normally kill scores of people and destroy millions.

You mean where the school buses were parked and locked up and the Democratic govenor and mayor didn't do anything to get the people out or the fact that the hurricane never hit NOLA what they got was storm surge.

But don't let that destroy the narrative. Look up Waveland, MS where Katrina made landfall.
09-13-2018 02:20 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Everything I have seen from the folks I know who were involved in our coastal evacuations here are that it has gone pretty damn smooth. I should hear more tonight as they started deploying EMS resources late yesterday to evacuate hospitals on the Grand Strand and multiple counties deployed supplemental EMS units and crews to Horry and Georgetown Counties to help out for the duration of the storm.

Seems to me when you have competent people in charge things go a lot smoother.
09-13-2018 02:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.