Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

‘He’s not a monster,’ mom says after son, 14, admits to deaths of younger siblings
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
‘He’s not a monster,’ mom says after son, 14, admits to deaths of younger siblings
Quote:A 14-year-old Indiana boy was being held at a juvenile detention center after confessing to the suffocation deaths of two younger siblings, authorities said.

The first child, a 23-month-old girl named Desiree, died in May, five days after being hospitalized for “not breathing right,” mother Christina McCartney told FOX 19 of Cincinnati.

A few months later, McCartney's 11-month-old stepson, Nathaniel Ritz, died after being suffocated, the report said.

Soon after the boy’s death, the children’s 14-year-old brother confessed to killing them, authorities in Ripley County, Ind., said.

But McCartney spoke out in defense of the teen.

"He's not the monster that people are trying to portray him as,” she told the station. “It's a mother's worst nightmare to have such a precious family and then to wake up to the worst possible outcomes.”

The teen told investigators that he killed the children so that they wouldn't "have to live in the hell that he did," prosecutors allege, though the meaning of the teen's words wasn't clear.

Ripley County Prosecutor Richard Hertel said Wednesday that the teen was arrested last week on juvenile charges of murder in the deaths, which occurred at the family's home in Osgood, a rural community about 60 miles southeast of Indianapolis.

In a probable cause affidavit filed in court, authorities say the teen, who was 13 at the time of the deaths, told investigators that he used a towel to suffocate his half-sister and a blanket to kill his stepbrother.

Hertel said the teen was advised of the charges he faces at a Monday court hearing, after which the judge said he'd rule on whether the teen is competent to stand trial before deciding whether to grant prosecutors' request that he be tried as an adult.

The boy was charged following a State Police investigation that Hertel said was ongoing.

According to the affidavit, the teen told investigators who questioned him about his siblings' deaths that "he had a conversation with God about them, but he could not talk about it because he had promised God he wouldn't tell anyone."

Under further questioning, the teen began "talking about saving Desiree and Nathaniel from hell and the chains of fire," it states. He then added that "he didn't want them to have to live in the hell that he did," before going on to describe how he suffocated the children.

When asked what that "hell" was, the boy replied "chores," before asking investigators if they'd seen the list of daily chores he had to complete, the affidavit states.

According to the affidavit, the teen's grandmother told investigators that when she asked him why he killed his siblings, he replied that "he didn't want them to be treated the way he had been." She said he also described how he'd firmly held the towel and blanket over their heads to suffocate them.

An uncle told investigators that the day before Nathaniel Ritz's death, the teen told him that Ritz's father had bloodied the teen's nose.

Hertel said the teen's motivations remained unclear, but that doctors who will examine him may be able to shed light on them.

"In my time here, which has been 19 years, I'm not sure that I've seen anything quite as disturbing and as final as something like this," he said during a news conference in Versailles, the county seat.

The prosecutor said that shortly before the teen's half-sister's death, the boy squeezed a kitten so hard its insides came out, telling relatives it had scratched him.

Hertel said the suspect's father is currently in prison and that he believes the boy's mother is cooperating with the investigation.

Link
09-13-2018 11:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
Don’t see how the could sentence him harshly as he is an only child.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
09-13-2018 11:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
RE: ‘He’s not a monster,’ mom says after son, 14, admits to deaths of younger siblings
When asked what that "hell" was, the boy replied "chores," before asking investigators if they'd seen the list of daily chores he had to complete, the affidavit states.

You know we're raising a generation of soft wussies when.......
09-13-2018 11:46 AM
bobdizole Offline
All American

I Root For: MT
RE: ‘He’s not a monster,’ mom says after son, 14, admits to deaths of younger siblings
(09-13-2018 11:46 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  When asked what that "hell" was, the boy replied "chores," before asking investigators if they'd seen the list of daily chores he had to complete, the affidavit states.

You know we're raising a generation of soft wussies when.......

I'll hold judgement for more details to come out. Something seems very off about this story

Quote:An uncle told investigators that the day before Nathaniel Ritz's death, the teen told him that Ritz's father had bloodied the teen's nose.

Quote:Hertel said the suspect's father is currently in prison

I wonder if that's a typo and it was meant to be the step-father bloodied his nose.
09-13-2018 02:39 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I'd imagine Ted Bundy's mother said the same thing about him when he was 14 years old.

To commit these acts is a sign of sociopathic behavior. Pending further evaluation I would not be surprised to learn he also has psychopathic tendencies. I would not be surprised to learn he hurt these babies before this, or that he has harmed someone else or killed some animals in the neighborhood.
09-13-2018 02:49 PM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
RE: ‘He’s not a monster,’ mom says after son, 14, admits to deaths of younger
(09-13-2018 02:49 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I'd imagine Ted Bundy's mother said the same thing about him when he was 14 years old.

To commit these acts is a sign of sociopathic behavior. Pending further evaluation I would not be surprised to learn he also has psychopathic tendencies. I would not be surprised to learn he hurt these babies before this, or that he has harmed someone else or killed some animals in the neighborhood.
he squeezed a kitten until it's guts came out...and his 2 baby siblings. He is a sociopath, or demon possessed.

Evil incarnate.
09-13-2018 03:01 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Commit him so he can't get out.
09-13-2018 03:39 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(09-13-2018 02:49 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I'd imagine Ted Bundy's mother said the same thing about him when he was 14 years old.
In fact, Bundy’s mother was saying the same thing even when he was 34.

Also in fact, it is very plausible (though, admittedly not proven) that Bundy committed his first murder at age 14. So these two probably have that in common, as well.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2018 06:51 PM by Native Georgian.)
09-13-2018 06:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.