Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Corrupt Democrats Castle Burns Down
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Corrupt Democrats Castle Burns Down

[Image: a01_jd_14sept_house2-630x377.jpg]

[Image: a01_jd_14sept_house1-900x511.jpg]

Quote:Almost 10 years after a corrupt New Mexico senator’s political career went up in flames, his house has followed suit.

Bernalillo County firefighters spent much of Wednesday evening extinguishing a massive blaze at Manny Aragon’s unfinished South Valley mansion, known locally as the “Castle House.”

Aragon, 71, served as a Democratic senator in the state before being convicted of mail fraud and sentenced to several years in prison. The now-charred “Castle House” remained in his name.

Attempts to reach Aragon on Thursday were unsuccessful.

The fire is “suspicious,” but the cause is still under investigation, Lujan said.

“At this point, we don’t have any evidence that’s leading to one cause or another,” he said.

Fire crews were still working at the home Thursday afternoon to monitor the structure and eliminate hot spots.

“If it means we got to be here another 24 hours,” Lujan said. “We’ll be here for another 24 hours to make sure nothing reignites.”

Once a powerful state senator from Albuquerque, Aragon pleaded guilty in October 2008 to one count of conspiracy and two counts of mail fraud in a Metropolitan Courthouse construction scandal that siphoned off more than $4 million from the court construction project.

While a senator, Aragon secured state money for various aspects of the courthouse project.

He admitted stealing more than $600,000, which he received from an engineer who helped arrange a system of fraudulent overbillings on the courthouse’s audiovisual system.

Aragon had been involved in almost every phase of the courthouse construction, including selecting the architect.

Aragon served in the state Senate from 1975 to 2004, when he left to become president of New Mexico Highlands University, a job he held for two years.

He began serving his federal prison term in June 2009 and was released from a federal prison in Colorado in December 2013.

The South Valley home owned by Aragon was removed from the tax rolls in 2008 after he filed a protest, according to Bernalillo County.

But it was put back on the tax rolls by June 2013. According to records, at that time, the home lacked heating, cooling, flooring, bathrooms and a kitchen, based on notes taken by appraisers during a 2008 visit. It also had a leaky roof, according to the file.

Link

The video below shows the interior of the Castle back in 2009. Towards the end of it a bedroom is shown. Where the state seal of NM is a headboard.

09-14-2018 12:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bobdizole Offline
All American

I Root For: MT
RE: Corrupt Democrats Castle Burns Down
Sad, that's some pretty cool architecture
09-14-2018 12:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
I thought democrats didnt want to build walls.
09-14-2018 12:43 PM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(09-14-2018 12:43 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  I thought democrats didnt want to build walls.

Its located in an unincorporated part of the county, that is mostly poor and people with questionable legal status AKA Illegals.
09-14-2018 02:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(09-14-2018 02:40 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
(09-14-2018 12:43 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  I thought democrats didnt want to build walls.

Its located in an unincorporated part of the county, that is mostly poor and people with questionable legal status AKA Illegals.

That explains why he went with the Fort Knox entry gate.
09-14-2018 03:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.