Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is it time for Georgia Tech to turn the Goose Loose?
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
Is it time for Georgia Tech to turn the Goose Loose?
s the Goose ready to run the show at his Alma Mater? What do you guys think? Would he even take the job? I'm ready for some young blood to lead this team.

MMQB was discussing candidates for college HC jobs from the Pros. Godsey was one of them. (from 2016)
https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/28/nfl-c...don-mexico

"Texans offensive coordinator George Godsey: Godsey spent his first seven years coaching at UCF under George O’Leary, who he played for at Georgia Tech. Also, the Texans OC helped Bill O’Brien find Christian Hackenberg during O’Brien’s transition from New England to Penn State. Godsey has a future as a head coach somewhere, so it’s conceivable that colleges would call this year."

By any metric you look at, you would say NO he isn't ready. Only two years at the coordinator level and now he's a QB coach. We only know his name becuase he played here. You never know he could be great...the goose is unproven, however is recruiting can't be worse than our last five years....Who Knows... I say I liked the George O'leary days lets give Goose a shot... George Godsey as the next Georgia Tech football Coach....

Why George Godsey should be our next Head Coach!!

- Godsey finished his college career as the most accurate passer in Georgia Tech history, with a career completion percentage of 63.3
- Godsey spent the 2003 Arena Football League season on the Tampa Bay Storm.The team wound up winning ArenaBowl XVII
- Central Florida hired Godsey as a graduate assistant in 2004. He was reunited with O'Leary who took over the Knights that year. In 2005, he was promoted to quarterbacks coach and served in that role through the 2008 season. In 2009 and 2010, he coached running backs.In the seven years Godsey spent at UCF, the Knights won two Conference USA championships
-Godsey entered the NFL ranks with the Patriots, first as an offensive assistant in 2011. That season, the team earned the top seed in the AFC with a 13-3 record and advanced to Super Bowl XLVI. From 2012-13 Godsey guided the Patriots tight ends, including Rob Gronkowski, who earned a spot in the Pro Bowl following the 2012 season with his team-leading 11 touchdowns and 11 games played.
- In Godsey’s two seasons at the helm of the Houston offense, the Texans claimed back-to-back AFC South Division titles and earned a win over Oakland in the AFC Wild Card round in 2016. In 2015, Houston became the only NFL team since 1950 to make the playoffs with four different starting quarterbacks winning at least one regular season game.
-The 2017 Lions defense displayed a consistent ability to generate turnovers, as Detroit concluded the season ranking third in the NFL in total takeaways (32) and fourth in points scored off turnovers (99). The Lions also ranked fourth in interceptions (19) and tied for second in opponent fumble recoveries (13).

MAKE TECH FOOTBALL GREAT AGAIN!! HIRE GEORGE GODSEY as the next HEAD FOOTBALL COACH.... Turn the Goose Loose!!
09-18-2018 11:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

copycat Offline
Why ask why?

RE: Is it time for Georgia Tech to turn the Goose Loose?
Er... no.

This ain't a place for a rookie head coach. We're gonna need a guy with head coaching experience that can handle challenges. Godsey (great guy, loved him as a QB) would get destroyed here right now.
09-18-2018 12:30 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

Well Georgia Tech Football may just be Dead........I don't think GT football is attractive to a G5/FCS HC or a P5 coordinator specifically as a "stepping stone" job. It CAN be one if you're successful here. But, it's been 27 years since a HC here successfully moved on next to a better job (~20 if you give Tech full credit for O'Leary @ ND). Of the reasons to take the HC job here, using it as a stepping stone probably isn't high on the list.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2018 02:57 PM by GTFletch.)
09-18-2018 02:52 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
(09-18-2018 02:52 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  Well Georgia Tech Football may just be Dead........I don't think GT football is attractive to a G5/FCS HC or a P5 coordinator specifically as a "stepping stone" job. It CAN be one if you're successful here. But, it's been 27 years since a HC here successfully moved on next to a better job (~20 if you give Tech full credit for O'Leary @ ND). Of the reasons to take the HC job here, using it as a stepping stone probably isn't high on the list.

I kind of agree with this...if you're looking for a stepping stone, not sure GT is it. Lots of challenges...academic, somewhat tepid support, clear second fiddle in your town, and a roster not assembled to run any other offense. And at the same time, nobody is going to look at you with lust in your eyes if you win 8 games at GT.

If you're looking for a stepping stone, almost better to take on a more objectively "worse" job, like say a Colorado or Illinois and get them to 6-7 wins. Look at the press Brohm was getting at Purdue last year for winning six games.

GT is going to be a tough one to fill...best bet might be an established coach considered to be on the back nine of his career, but I don't know who that would be (Charlie Strong?). Or successful G5 who's too old to be considered a first tier candidate at higher profile jobs, like Rocky Long at SDSU.
09-18-2018 03:26 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
To minimize the personnel transition, why not hire a run & shoot guy? Player types are similar, and if he can bring in a decent QB the Jackets could at least get back to a bowl.
09-18-2018 04:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GTFletch Offline
All American

(09-18-2018 04:07 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  To minimize the personnel transition, why not hire a run & shoot guy? Player types are similar, and if he can bring in a decent QB the Jackets could at least get back to a bowl.

The names I have heard the Alumni toss around are: Geoff Collins, George Godsey, and Bent Key. What I do know is that AD Tstan will not just fire Coach Johnson, they will do it the right way with him (Probably allow him to retire and thank he and his family for everything) whenever that time comes.

What is interesting to me is that all three names have ties to George Oleary and I am not sure if AD Tstan was AD at UCF when these guys were coaching for Oleary at UCF or not. Also the other "Unknown" is what does the AD think of the future of the Triple Option once Coach Johnson leaves? Would he want to try and pluck Jeff Monken from Army or actually try and transistion away from the option.

Either way the writing is on the wall and it is just time. The Million dollar question is when does this all happen... If Georgia Tech loses to Clemson it will be their first 1-3 start since 2003, so it may happen sooner than later....Crazy!
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2018 02:31 PM by GTFletch.)
09-19-2018 02:29 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(09-18-2018 04:07 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  To minimize the personnel transition, why not hire a run & shoot guy? Player types are similar, and if he can bring in a decent QB the Jackets could at least get back to a bowl.

Where are you going to find a guy who uses the "Run & Shoot" and is ready to be a P5 HC in 2018-19? The only staff running it at the FBS level is in Hawaii, and even they aren't running a true "run and shoot".
09-19-2018 03:54 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(09-19-2018 03:54 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Where are you going to find a guy who uses the "Run & Shoot" and is ready to be a P5 HC in 2018-19? The only staff running it at the FBS level is in Hawaii, and even they aren't running a true "run and shoot".

Yeah, it's not a perfect plan.
09-19-2018 04:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(09-19-2018 04:20 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(09-19-2018 03:54 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Yeah, it's not a perfect plan.

I'm not faulting the logic because it's technically sound. You are absolutely correct that the player types are similar between the two offensive systems. Pretty sure that Johnson even had some time as an assistant in a run and shoot offense.

The problem is there's simply nobody who fits the bill. I mean I don't even know any FCS teams who are running the actual run and shoot. Hawaii is running a bastardized system but do you want to be the AD who fires Paul Johnson to bring in Nick Rolovich?
09-19-2018 08:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.