Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Car Prices to Rise
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
New Car Prices to Rise
You guessed it. Tariffs. But curious why they need to raise prices since they got this great tax cut?

Anyway...

Quote:New tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump on auto parts from China will hit carmaker profits, cut sales and threaten to "start a downward cycle" in the critical industry, analysts said unanimously Tuesday.

In addition, if you're in the market for a new car, you probably should get to a dealership soon, because prices are going up.

Trump's latest round of tariffs on Chinese imports will add costs to more than 100 car parts — a 10 percent levy on everything from tires and brake pads to engines and batteries — that go into cars made and sold in the U.S.

"It's going to be felt by Americans and it's going to be a big deal," said Peter Nagle, senior analyst at IHS Markit. "Tariffs are taxes on consumption. Eventually costs will be passed down to the consumer. This will drive vehicle costs higher. It also includes a lot of body shop equipment."
New tariff list creates risk of 'downward cycle' for US auto industry

#MAGA
09-18-2018 12:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: New Car Prices to Rise
Well Obama drove up car prices by about 20% deliberately by increasing mileage requirements.
09-18-2018 12:35 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(09-18-2018 12:35 PM)bullet Wrote:  Well Obama drove up car prices by about 20% deliberately by increasing mileage requirements.

Source please so we can discuss. Thanks.
09-18-2018 12:36 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(09-18-2018 12:30 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  You guessed it. Tariffs. But curious why they need to raise prices since they got this great tax cut?

Anyway...

Quote:New tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump on auto parts from China will hit carmaker profits, cut sales and threaten to "start a downward cycle" in the critical industry, analysts said unanimously Tuesday.

In addition, if you're in the market for a new car, you probably should get to a dealership soon, because prices are going up.

Trump's latest round of tariffs on Chinese imports will add costs to more than 100 car parts — a 10 percent levy on everything from tires and brake pads to engines and batteries — that go into cars made and sold in the U.S.

"It's going to be felt by Americans and it's going to be a big deal," said Peter Nagle, senior analyst at IHS Markit. "Tariffs are taxes on consumption. Eventually costs will be passed down to the consumer. This will drive vehicle costs higher. It also includes a lot of body shop equipment."

#MAGA

Thanks Obama!

A 2016 Heritage Foundation analysis estimates the Obama fuel economy mandates increased new car prices $6,800 more than the pre-2009 baseline trend, and eliminating the more aggressive standards would save 2025 car buyers at least $7,200 per vehicle. As my colleagues detail, “Economists and engineers accurately predicted that the [model year] 2016 standards would hurt consumers by at least $3,800 per car.”

So Trump has already stepped in to prevent future car prices from skyrocketing. But the current increase has more to do with the ObamaEpa 2016 regs.

https://www.heritage.org/energy-economic...-cars-more
09-18-2018 12:44 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
I guess my next car will have to be an American car 07-coffee3
09-18-2018 12:44 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(09-18-2018 12:44 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(09-18-2018 12:30 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  You guessed it. Tariffs. But curious why they need to raise prices since they got this great tax cut?

Anyway...

#MAGA

Thanks Obama!

A 2016 Heritage Foundation analysis estimates the Obama fuel economy mandates increased new car prices $6,800 more than the pre-2009 baseline trend, and eliminating the more aggressive standards would save 2025 car buyers at least $7,200 per vehicle. As my colleagues detail, “Economists and engineers accurately predicted that the [model year] 2016 standards would hurt consumers by at least $3,800 per car.”

So Trump has already stepped in to prevent future car prices from skyrocketing. But the current increase has more to do with the ObamaEpa 2016 regs.

It wasn't that long ago when you could get a new car for under $10k. Now you're lucky to find one for under $25k. To be fair, it started getting out of control before Obama. I just want to be able to get a new dependable car for under $10k, not someone's potential lemon with 50,000 miles on it. If Trump would open up that market, the car industry would explode. I bet you could make a make and sell a 1995 Civic exact replica and sell it for under $5k and still make good money.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2018 12:51 PM by EverRespect.)
09-18-2018 12:49 PM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(09-18-2018 12:49 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Anyway...

#MAGA

Thanks Obama!

It wasn't that long ago when you could get a new car for under $10k. Now you're lucky to find one for under $25k. To be fair, it started getting out of control before Obama. I just want to be able to get a new dependable car for under $10k, not someone's potential lemon with 50,000 miles on it. If Trump would open up that market, the car industry would explode. I bet you could make a make and sell a 1995 Civic exact replica and sell it for under $5k and still make good money.

One of the issues putting pressure on car prices was cash for clunkers. It removed a giant chunk of the used cars from the market.
09-18-2018 12:56 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(09-18-2018 12:56 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(09-18-2018 12:49 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Anyway...

#MAGA

Thanks Obama!

One of the issues putting pressure on car prices was cash for clunkers. It removed a giant chunk of the used cars from the market.
.[Image: 96ededc417e24210ab63b29b5dc11b47.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
09-18-2018 01:00 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
[/quote].[Image: 96ededc417e24210ab63b29b5dc11b47.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Dang! How many gallons of milk does that baby give? She could open her own personal dairy.
09-18-2018 01:08 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

Anyway...

#MAGA

Thanks Obama!

Quote:The EPA said the Obama rules would add an additional $2,340 to the overall ownership costs of a new vehicle. Given that the annual cost to own a car is around $8,000, an additional $468 per year over five years for a more efficient car or truck isn’t a deal breaker for most buyers.
The EPA refuted its own bizarre justification for rolling back fuel efficiency standards

And now for some math. I drive roughly 26k miles per year. If my car gets 35mpg and fuel is $2.8999 as it is today, my annual fuel costs are $2,153.55 year. If the standards are implemented and my new car gets just 45 mpg (the Obama mandate is to 55mpg by 2025), my fuel costs drop to $1,675.48 per year. So a savings of $478 each year. So if I keep my car just 5 years, I would save $2,390 in fuel costs which is greater than the additional $2,340 I paid.
09-18-2018 01:09 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(09-18-2018 01:09 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

Anyway...

#MAGA

Thanks Obama!

Quote:The EPA said the Obama rules would add an additional $2,340 to the overall ownership costs of a new vehicle. Given that the annual cost to own a car is around $8,000, an additional $468 per year over five years for a more efficient car or truck isn’t a deal breaker for most buyers.
The EPA refuted its own bizarre justification for rolling back fuel efficiency standards

And now for some math. I drive roughly 26k miles per year. If my car gets 35mpg and fuel is $2.8999 as it is today, my annual fuel costs are $2,153.55 year. If the standards are implemented and my new car gets just 45 mpg (the Obama mandate is to 55mpg by 2025), my fuel costs drop to $1,675.48 per year. So a savings of $478 each year. So if I keep my car just 5 years, I would save $2,390 in fuel costs which is greater than the additional $2,340 I paid.

1. If you financed your car, you are paying interest.
2. When schit breaks on these fancy, high tech new cars, they are hella expensive to fix. I'm actually driving a $700 clinker I got from someone on Craigslist right now, because I didn't want to spend $2,500 to get my other car past inspection (fake airbag light).
3. The $2,340 is overall ownership costs, not sticker price. All this is already factored in.

Again, I don't want new technology and bells and whistles and couldn't care less about fuel consumption. I want something reliable that will get me through my 10 mile commute from point A to point B at the lowest cost possible.
09-18-2018 01:22 PM
Advertisement

Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
New Car Prices to Rise
One car that was great was the pre 1975 VW Beetle. Low maintenance and the air cooled engine was a stroke of genius.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
09-18-2018 01:38 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(09-18-2018 01:38 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  One car that was great was the pre 1975 VW Beetle. Low maintenance and the air cooled engine was a stroke of genius.

Another was the Jeep Wagoneer from the 80s.
09-18-2018 01:47 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(09-18-2018 01:38 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  One car that was great was the pre 1975 VW Beetle. Low maintenance and the air cooled engine was a stroke of genius.

I had a '69 VW. I loved to drive it but not in the summer or the winter. Hot in the summer, no AC and cold in winter, heater sucked. But, I still loved that car...one of many that I've owned.
09-18-2018 01:54 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(09-18-2018 01:09 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

Anyway...

#MAGA

Thanks Obama!

And now for some REAL math....

The increased fuel efficiency would have been factored into the value known as 'overall cost of ownership", the figure from which you are attempting to subtract 'again' something that would have been obvious in the analytics. So too would the increased cost of repairs of a new vehicle relative to the increased frequency of repairs to an older one etc etc etc.

Not trying to be ugly... There are all sorts of debatable things in some of this analysis and 'your experience may vary', but such obvious things would not have been missed.
09-18-2018 02:38 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
A large part of the problem with tariffs causing issues is due to the fact that domestic supply chains that used to exist at one point are no longer there. Also, isn't a living wage or a fair wage something you personally believe in? You do realize that many of these parts made by Chinese firms are done with "slave labor". You realize that Apple products are made by Chinese "slaves" as well as those Nike shoes. This is the hypocrisy that amazes me. In the U.S. - Dems are demanding "social justice" for poorer people by requiring higher wages to be paid out. However, I'm seeing these same Dems come out looking like "free traders" and scaring the crap out of people with promises of soaring prices for everything. Where do you guys think higher wages come from???
09-18-2018 02:41 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

Anyway...

#MAGA

This is much like the recent 10% price increase by Coca Cola on soda due to the increase in aluminum costs. Know what I noticed--the generic soda is still the same price. Another thing I noticed---aluminum prices went up by 10% and the cans make up 10% of the cost of a can of soda. Do the math. Thats a 1% increase in costs--but it spurred a 10% increase in cost of Coca Cola? Its a profit grab. Its needed becasue soft drink sales are dropping and thats what Coke needed to do increase profits. My prediction is you will see that Coke price increase rolled back soon because the laws of supply and demand have not been repealed.

Meanwhile, cars sales are slumping and rebates/incentives are hitting new highs. The auto price increase will be irrelevant as it will be offset by incentives. Demand isnt strong enough to support a price increase. It is what it is. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2018 03:05 PM by Attackcoog.)
09-18-2018 03:03 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Democrats will charge for every stupid bullshite that comes along. Ask them to pay a little more to save America and they whine.

Democrats hate America
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2018 03:35 PM by shere khan.)
09-18-2018 03:34 PM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
(09-18-2018 02:41 PM)miko33 Wrote:  A large part of the problem with tariffs causing issues is due to the fact that domestic supply chains that used to exist at one point are no longer there. Also, isn't a living wage or a fair wage something you personally believe in? You do realize that many of these parts made by Chinese firms are done with "slave labor". You realize that Apple products are made by Chinese "slaves" as well as those Nike shoes. This is the hypocrisy that amazes me. In the U.S. - Dems are demanding "social justice" for poorer people by requiring higher wages to be paid out. However, I'm seeing these same Dems come out looking like "free traders" and scaring the crap out of people with promises of soaring prices for everything. Where do you guys think higher wages come from???

From the government.....
09-18-2018 03:41 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

Isn't it the liberals wet dream for everyone to be stuck using mass transit anyway?
09-18-2018 03:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.