Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tennessee State's Abercrombie, in critical condition after collapsing on sideline
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Tennessee State's Abercrombie, in critical condition after collapsing on sideline
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/col...story.html

Tennessee State officials say linebacker Christion Abercrombie is in critical condition after an injury that caused him to collapse on the sideline of the Tigers’ game against Vanderbilt.
10-01-2018 04:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Tennessee State's Abercrombie, in critical condition after collapsing on sideline
Nothing 'dirty' about hit that left Tennessee State football player Christion Abercrombie with serious head injury

A review of the game video by Tennessee State's coaches showed that middle linebacker Christion Abercrombie was injured on a routine play in Saturday's game against Vanderbilt.

Abercrombie was able to make his way to the sideline after the play. He complained to trainers about having a headache and collapsed soon after that.

The Atlanta native was rushed to Vanderbilt University Medical Center and underwent emergency surgery. He was listed in critical condition.

"It was just a football play," TSU coach Rod Reed said Sunday morning on his coaches radio show on WNSR. "He was taking on a block and it wasn't anything malicious or dirty or anything like that. Just an unfortunate situation."

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/...478954002/
10-01-2018 04:25 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
RE: Tennessee State's Abercrombie, in critical condition after collapsing on sideline
The team was spirited enough to try an upset win in his name.
10-01-2018 06:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
God bless the NCAA, always doing what is in the best interest of their student athletes.

Quote:Earlier Monday, two other GoFundeMe pages were launched by individuals — Fachon Reed, the sister of TSU coach Rod Reed, and Nashville resident Jake Waddell.

Those accounts were taken down at TSU’s request because of a potential violation of NCAA rules. The NCAA also told TSU any other crowd-funding attempts may put Abercrombie’s eligibility in jeopardy.

https://deadspin.com/report-crowdfunding...1829454739
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2018 11:47 AM by Chappy.)
10-02-2018 11:46 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-02-2018 11:46 AM)Chappy Wrote:  God bless the NCAA, always doing what is in the best interest of their student athletes.

Quote:Earlier Monday, two other GoFundeMe pages were launched by individuals — Fachon Reed, the sister of TSU coach Rod Reed, and Nashville resident Jake Waddell.

Those accounts were taken down at TSU’s request because of a potential violation of NCAA rules. The NCAA also told TSU any other crowd-funding attempts may put Abercrombie’s eligibility in jeopardy.

That sucks.

Then the NCAA should set one up to cover his medical expenses, and lodging for his parents
10-02-2018 12:02 PM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(10-02-2018 12:02 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(10-02-2018 11:46 AM)Chappy Wrote:  God bless the NCAA, always doing what is in the best interest of their student athletes.

That sucks.

Then the NCAA should set one up to cover his medical expenses, and lodging for his parents

Agreed. A broken and worthless organization if there ever was. This is really a new low.

Is it wrong to think schools could probably rebel, not respond or work with the NCAA if they have a problem, and think with some confidence TSU could get away with it? That the NCAA has no ability or competency to do any of their own work and rely on the target institution to do the work for them, so, simply just not cooperate?
10-02-2018 01:07 PM
Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

(10-02-2018 11:46 AM)Chappy Wrote:  The NCAA also told TSU any other crowd-funding attempts may put Abercrombie’s eligibility in jeopardy.

I can't think of anything more prickish, arrogant or clueless than the NCAA thinking a player in critical condition's top priority is to be concerned about his eligibility. Truly despicable.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2018 01:12 PM by Chappy.)
10-02-2018 01:11 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
While the NCAA usually deserves all of the scorn thrown their way this isn't one of those times.

There is an NCAA approved GoFunMe ran by Tennessee State Athletics

http://www.tsutigers.com/football/news/2...4/PREVIEW/

Quote:NCAA approved GoFundMe set up to support Christion and his family.

This is the only NCAA approved GoFundMe set up to assist with the support of Christion Abercrombie and his family.

Per NCAA legislation, Tennessee State University is the only entity permitted to solicit funds for the student-athlete and his family.

https://www.gofundme.com/tennessee-state...etics-dept
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2018 04:43 PM by Kaplony.)
10-02-2018 04:42 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-02-2018 04:42 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  While the NCAA usually deserves all of the scorn thrown their way this isn't one of those times.

There is an NCAA approved GoFunMe ran by Tennessee State Athletics

http://www.tsutigers.com/football/news/2...4/PREVIEW/

Quote:NCAA approved GoFundMe set up to support Christion and his family.

This is the only NCAA approved GoFundMe set up to assist with the support of Christion Abercrombie and his family.

Per NCAA legislation, Tennessee State University is the only entity permitted to solicit funds for the student-athlete and his family.

https://www.gofundme.com/tennessee-state...etics-dept

OK - thanks, that is the proper way to handle this.
10-02-2018 05:02 PM
Advertisement

Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

Well that's some important information deadspin left out of their article.
10-02-2018 05:13 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(10-02-2018 05:13 PM)Chappy Wrote:  Well that's some important information deadspin left out of their article.

It's not, really. Because other GoFundMe initiatives are getting shut down because of the NCAA inserting itself yet again on something. That one "sanctioned" one emerged doesn't take away from what is also happening.

If I'm family, friends, a church, and I'm trying to help Christion, only to get a call from the school telling them to shut this down and trust THEM? And the NCAA? Because eligibility has to be in someone's mind here as much as health and wellness? No. Just no.
10-03-2018 03:54 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
I think the NCAA handled this correctly. Should only be one
10-03-2018 06:30 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
10-03-2018 01:14 PM
Advertisement

ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Any more word on this young man's condition or his diagnosis?
10-04-2018 10:45 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

Still in ICU, responding some to family, music
10-04-2018 07:50 PM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(10-03-2018 06:30 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  I think the NCAA handled this correctly. Should only be one

Doesn't the NCAA carry secondary insurance for these issues?

Kevin Ware's parents insurance was the primary and NCAA was secondary.
10-05-2018 02:10 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(10-05-2018 02:10 AM)Renandpat Wrote:  
(10-03-2018 06:30 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  I think the NCAA handled this correctly. Should only be one

I'm sure that's the case. However a Go Fund Me is also helpful for ancillary expenses. I'm sure his parents have missed work, have had to pay for meals, etc.
10-05-2018 08:50 AM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(10-03-2018 03:54 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(10-02-2018 05:13 PM)Chappy Wrote:  Well that's some important information deadspin left out of their article.

It's not, really. Because other GoFundMe initiatives are getting shut down because of the NCAA inserting itself yet again on something. That one "sanctioned" one emerged doesn't take away from what is also happening.

If I'm family, friends, a church, and I'm trying to help Christion, only to get a call from the school telling them to shut this down and trust THEM? And the NCAA? Because eligibility has to be in someone's mind here as much as health and wellness? No. Just no.

Just a few weeks ago a homeless vet who was to benefit from a GoFundMe sued the good-hearted people who set it up because very little of the $400,000 raised ever reached him.

I'd much rather someone with deeper pockets and an experience in managing funds be the one raising the money and managing it.
10-09-2018 09:22 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-05-2018 08:50 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  
(10-05-2018 02:10 AM)Renandpat Wrote:  

I'm sure that's the case. However a Go Fund Me is also helpful for ancillary expenses. I'm sure his parents have missed work, have had to pay for meals, etc.

The Southern University player who was paralyzed vs. Georgia certainly didn't get all his costs covered by insurance. He and his family have basically been adopted by UGA fans. https://www.macon.com/sports/college/uni...20099.html
10-09-2018 11:28 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Christians mother said he squeezed her hand and counted to 4 on his fingers Tuesday.. Hopefully it is a good sign.
10-10-2018 08:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.