Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

P5s that might never win a conference football title
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
P5s that might never win a conference football title
With football success so heavily titled towards bluebloods in the current era it's hard to imagine some of these these schools ever gaining a conference crown again:

Big Ten: Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota

ACC: WF, NC St, BC, Pitt, Cuse, Duke

Big 12: Iowa St, Kansas, K St, Baylor, Texas Tech

SEC: Kentucky, Tenn, Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss St

Pac 12: Wash St, Ore St, Arizona

What do the rest of you think?
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2018 09:48 PM by Fighting Muskie.)
10-01-2018 07:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
RE: P5s that might never win a conference football title
All of them can.
10-01-2018 08:01 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Northwestern won back-to-back B1G titles in ‘95 and ‘96 going 15-1 after winning 34 overall games in 19 years.

Back then, they had the worst facilities in TPC football. This year, they opened the best IPF in the country coming off a 7-2 campaign.

It’s hard to imagine for sure but some of those programs have won a conference crown in harder-to-imagine circumstances.

Kansas’ Orange Bowl wasn’t long ago. Kansas State running circles around Oklahoma in a BXII title game wasn’t long ago. Texas Tech in the national title picture under Leach wasn’t long ago. Wake Forest winning the ACC wasn’t long ago. BC a top 10 team before firing Jagodzinski wasn’t long ago. Mississippi St was #1 in the country a few years back.

The BCS era was a fun era with a lot of parity. Hopefully that parity returns.
10-01-2018 08:20 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Kentucky has won before. There is no reason to believe their day won't come again.
10-01-2018 08:49 PM
P5PACSEC Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5- Texas Tech
(10-01-2018 07:56 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  With football success so heavily titled towards bluebloods in the current era it's hard to imagine some of these these schools ever gaining a conference crown:

Do more research. K-State and Baylor have won conference titles in the last 20 years.

Tech's achilles heel has been great teams when we were great and poor HC hires. It is my sincere hope that the 3rd largest supported University in the state of Texas wins an outright conference championship before I die.
10-01-2018 09:08 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(10-01-2018 07:56 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  With football success so heavily titled towards bluebloods in the current era it's hard to imagine some of these these schools ever gaining a conference crown:

You need to clean up your premise. Tennessee has a crystal football already. Ole Miss laid claim to a title around 1960 or so. So they've already accomplished that which you said they never would.

You might want to say they will never do it again. I'm pretty sure that Kentucky has won a few conference titles and claimed a national championship in past.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2018 09:16 PM by JRsec.)
10-01-2018 09:12 PM
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .

What is the current era?

Wake Forest won the ACC title game in 2006. BC lost two title games, Duke and UNC have lost a title game. As far as the ACC goes, the Atlantic team has won 9 of 13 and the last 7. Anyone in the Coastal can win the Coastal title. The real problem for some in the ACC is that in the Atlantic there has been at least one if not two top 10 programs for the last 6 years and either Clemson or FSU have been top 5 for the last 5 years. Until Miami demonstrates top 10 characteristics again, the Coastal can be won by any school in that division. NC State, WF, BC, and Syracuse have to beat FSU and Clemson in the same year.
10-01-2018 09:20 PM
dunstvangeet Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Oregon State
(10-01-2018 07:56 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Pac 12: Wash St, Ore St, Arizona
Washington State and Oregon State both have conference titles in football. Oregon State's last conference title was in 2000, where they tied for the conference title with Oregon and Washington, at 7-1 in conference title. They went 11-1 that year and finished 5th in the nation that year (Washington was 4th, and Oregon was 7th). They kicked the pants off of Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl that year (winning 41-9). This team was led at quarterback by current head coach Jonathan Smith.

Washington State won the conference title in 2002, where they tied with USC (and beat USC that year) for the conference championship at 7-1 in conference, and 10-3 overall, finishing #7 in the nation.

Arizona won the conference title in 1993, where they tied with UCLA at 6-2 (10-2 overall). They beat Miami in the Fiesta Bowl.
10-01-2018 09:21 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
My premise was that they'd never win a title AGAIN. Can't seem to find how to change the thread name.

Kansas St won titles before Snyder became senile.

Baylor's own conference seems to want to destroy its program.
10-01-2018 09:51 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(10-01-2018 09:51 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  My premise was that they'd never win a title AGAIN. Can't seem to find how to change the thread name.

Click and hold the title of the thread on the forum page.
10-01-2018 10:02 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
It’s not a matter if they can’t win a conference championship. All of those schools are capable of doing so under the right circumstances. However, none of those schools mentioned except for perhaps Tennessee won’t be able to contend for a conference title on a constant basis.
10-01-2018 10:11 PM
Advertisement

WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
(10-01-2018 10:11 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  It’s not a matter if they can’t win a conference championship. All of those schools are capable of doing so under the right circumstances. However, none of those schools mentioned except for perhaps Tennessee won’t be able to contend for a conference title on a constant basis.

Naw Kansas and Rutgers literally will never win their respective conferences. lol
10-02-2018 03:30 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Never say never until they do, at which point conveniently forget you ever said never.
10-02-2018 06:06 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
Kansas State won the Big 12 in 2003 and 2012.
10-02-2018 08:50 AM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
I'm pretty confident that Rutgers will never win a Big Ten title. How many stars would need to align for them to get past Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Michigan State in the same year?
10-02-2018 08:58 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(10-02-2018 08:58 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  I'm pretty confident that Rutgers will never win a Big Ten title. How many stars would need to align for them to get past Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Michigan State in the same year?

There's a serious talent divide in the Big 10 between top shelf teams and the lower half of the league-- maybe more than any other P5 league. Using Ohio State as the barometer, here is their all-time wins vs. their conference mates:

Indiana 73-8-4
Minnesota 44-7
Northwestern 61-14-1
Wisconsin 59-18-5
Nebraska 3-1
Iowa 46-15-3
Michigan State 31-13
Purdue 39-14-2
Penn State 17-8
Illinois 68-30-3
Michigan 48-46 (OSU has won 6 in a row)
Rutgers 4-0
Maryland 4-0

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that most of these are simply overmatched by the Buckeyes historically, presently and likely into the future. I would argue that the divide has probably only gone stronger as many of the wins these teams have over OSU took place in decades past when OSU was not as strong or when demographics were different and some of those teams had stronger programs.
10-02-2018 09:21 AM
Advertisement

Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
(10-01-2018 09:51 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  My premise was that they'd never win a title AGAIN. Can't seem to find how to change the thread name.

Kansas St won titles before Snyder became senile.

Baylor's own conference seems to want to destroy its program.
No, Baylor is destroying itself.
10-02-2018 11:23 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
You can add UNC to this list. They haven't won an ACC championship since 1980.
10-02-2018 12:06 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-01-2018 09:12 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

You need to clean up your premise. Tennessee has a crystal football already. Ole Miss laid claim to a title around 1960 or so. So they've already accomplished that which you said they never would.

You might want to say they will never do it again. I'm pretty sure that Kentucky has won a few conference titles and claimed a national championship in past.

Kansas St. would have been in the BCS title game in 1998 but for an upset loss in the Big 12 title game. They were a next to last game upset loss to Baylor from being in the title game in 2012. That is NATIONAL TITLE. They won the conference in 2003 and 2012. Baylor was very close to getting in the playoffs in 2014, finishing #5 in the CFP. They won the Big 12 in 2013 and 2014. Texas Tech hasn't even won a share of a title since around 1994, but in 2008, they were ranked #2 until a next to last game lost to OU. Ended regular season #7 and a 3 way tie for first in the Big 12 South. Kansas was Big 12 champ in 2007 and finished top 10 in 1994 and 2007.

Sounds like you are judging all these teams on the last two years.

And yes UK had an SEC championship in 76, was unbeaten in conference but on probation in 77. Was ranked in the top 10 in 2007 after beating #1 LSU. And if UK keeps focused in all 5 remaining SEC games and UGA isn't focused on 11/3, UK might be in the SEC title game this year. At this point, UK is probably the favorite in every remaining game except UGA and this week at Texas A&M.
10-02-2018 01:07 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
The only P5 school where I'd even give Powerball odds to never winning a P5 title again is Baylor, and that's only for the exceedingly slim yet theoretically nonzero chance that Baylor deemphasizes or outright disbands intercollegiate athletics. Otherwise there's no school in any FBS conference that I'd say could never win a title going forward.
10-02-2018 01:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.