Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten coaches...
Bookmark and Share
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland & Elon
Big Ten coaches...
So when I was setting up the pick’em we have I realized the regular season was about half way over. It made me think about how over the past few years the coaching carousel had already begun. So far, this year has been pretty quiet.

The three coaches who’s seats may have been getting warm, DJ Durkin for Maryland, Chris Ash for Rutgers and Lovie Smith for Illinois, have had an interesting path since the end of last year. If you would have asked me then who’s most likely to be fired out of the three I would have said Smith (although I had plenty of Illini fans telling me his seat wasn’t really that warm). Now??? Durkin has been on administrative leave since before the season due to the death of Jordan McNair. Ash has had the wheels fall of with losses to both Kansas and Illinois who are widely regarded as some of the worst teams in the power 5. Smith it seems has had the best track out of the three. His young team seems to be progressing and really coming together. I would have lost a bunch of money betting this in Vegas.

If you want to see something pretty amusing check out this article by Athlon. These ranking would be pretty different if done now versus when they were done four months ago but hindsight is 20/20. So I'm curious, where do you rank the Big Ten coaches now? Chryst to low? Dantonio to high?

Also to ponder, it seems like DJ Durkin is *probably* not going to be back. Is there anyone else? I'd say probably not but Rutgers probably would like to get rid of Ash but can't due to cost. I think Fleck's seat is getting a little warm but he's not there yet. Brohm isn't getting fired but a bit of the bloom has come off. Frost inherited a TERRIBLE team but he'll have at least two more years to correct that. How are Michigan fans feeling about Harbaugh? Getting frustrated yet?
10-10-2018 11:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
RE: Big Ten coaches...
(10-10-2018 11:31 AM)TerpsNPhoenix Wrote:  So when I was setting up the pick’em we have I realized the regular season was about half way over. It made me think about how over the past few years the coaching carousel had already begun. So far, this year has been pretty quiet.

The three coaches who’s seats may have been getting warm, DJ Durkin for Maryland, Chris Ash for Rutgers and Lovie Smith for Illinois, have had an interesting path since the end of last year. If you would have asked me then who’s most likely to be fired out of the three I would have said Smith (although I had plenty of Illini fans telling me his seat wasn’t really that warm). Now??? Durkin has been on administrative leave since before the season due to the death of Jordan McNair. Ash has had the wheels fall of with losses to both Kansas and Illinois who are widely regarded as some of the worst teams in the power 5. Smith it seems has had the best track out of the three. His young team seems to be progressing and really coming together. I would have lost a bunch of money betting this in Vegas.

If you want to see something pretty amusing check out this article by Athlon. These ranking would be pretty different if done now versus when they were done four months ago but hindsight is 20/20. So I'm curious, where do you rank the Big Ten coaches now? Chryst to low? Dantonio to high?

Also to ponder, it seems like DJ Durkin is *probably* not going to be back. Is there anyone else? I'd say probably not but Rutgers probably would like to get rid of Ash but can't due to cost. I think Fleck's seat is getting a little warm but he's not there yet. Brohm isn't getting fired but a bit of the bloom has come off. Frost inherited a TERRIBLE team but he'll have at least two more years to correct that. How are Michigan fans feeling about Harbaugh? Getting frustrated yet?

Good analysis.

I can't see how Durkin is back even if the investigation clears him. How would Maryland expect to recruit players with the Durkin "culture" hanging over them? If he's let go, whoever the new coach is can go into homes and tell parents their sons are safe and the culture has changed. If they expect to keep competing, I don't see how Durkin sticks around.

Chryst, Franklin, Ferentz, Dantonio and Fitzgerald are pretty secure. Apart from the wheels falling off or some "scandal", they'd have to be bad for a few years before their seats warm up.

Allen, Lovie, and Brohm, have some time. Allen and Brohm look like they'll be bowl eligible so they're safe. Lovie's team was SO BAD when he took over that he'll have time as well.

Fleck and Harbaugh better prove something. If Michigan loses to Wisconsin, PSU, and tOSU, the seat could start getting warm. Fleck inherited a 9-4 Holiday Bowl winning team. Another year of missing out on a bowl and his "carnival barker" routine could start to wear thin.

I honestly believe Frost is the safest seat. Nebraska was terrible and it's going to take time to rebuild. Given that and being a favored son, they'll give him the time he needs.

I think Ash is gone. It's one thing to lose close games but show improvement, it's another to take a$$ kickings against Illinois & Kansas and look as bad as they do.

Meyer is the interesting one. After last weekend's headache episode, a conspiracy theorist could say that it would make for convenient timing to have this happen after the abuse scandal and could make for a good cover story for him to "resign" at the end of the season.....

Just sayin.....
10-10-2018 12:25 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
Rutgers has to get rid of Ash. He's a lame duck that isn't moving the program forward while everyone else is getting better.

Maryland can't keep Durkin, right?

Frost is safe but better make some progress next year.

I think Lovie Smith gets next year to show big strides. I imagine he has to make a bowl next year to keep his job.

Harbaugh may leave for the NFL if he doesn't improve. I think this could be his last year if he doesn't do two of the three between beat Michigan State, Ohio State, and make a NY6 bowl.
10-10-2018 08:18 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I'm not as sold on Durkin not coming back, but I have not followed the in and outs of the contraversy as closely as others. That said, if he is cleared, I think he is at least given a chance (if recruiting falls off next year, then that will be the end).

I know the money situation at Rutgers is bad, but if the administration is convinced things aren't going to get any better next year and the recruiting is falling off, I think they find the money to get out. It will just cost more not too.

Smith has Illinois finally starting to look better. If they struggle down the stretch may still be gone, but less likely now.
10-11-2018 09:19 AM
AntiG Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
^ especially since the Ash/Flood cheapness stupidity is starting to cost them via season tickets cancellations/renewals... hopefully the administration wise up because the fans are fed up. We were on the cusp of greatness with our greatest recruiting class ever (I believe we were ranked around 20 nationally) and then Schiano took the TB job. Instead of capitalizing on the momentum that Greg built up over a decade, the admin decided to go cheap and go with the guy that Greg left behind - we lost some key recruits, and eventually Flood's lack of charisma or coaching skills led to the program's deterioration. Then with Dan Mullen willing to come back to the Tri-State area, we go cheap - he asked for a bump in salary and wanted his assistants paid the same as they were at MSU. So Rutgers naturally turn to considering other candidates. Schiano was willing to come back, but Ash was much much cheaper. You get what you pay for most of the time.
10-12-2018 09:42 AM
megadrone Offline
1st String

I think Ash is dead man walking, but he'll be walking the sidelines in Piscataway for 2 more years. I don't think he will right the ship.
10-12-2018 01:37 PM
Advertisement

AntiG Offline
1st String

(10-12-2018 09:42 AM)AntiG Wrote:  ^ especially since the Ash/Flood cheapness stupidity is starting to cost them via season tickets cancellations/renewals... hopefully the administration wise up because the fans are fed up. We were on the cusp of greatness with our greatest recruiting class ever (I believe we were ranked around 20 nationally) and then Schiano took the TB job. Instead of capitalizing on the momentum that Greg built up over a decade, the admin decided to go cheap and go with the guy that Greg left behind - we lost some key recruits, and eventually Flood's lack of charisma or coaching skills led to the program's deterioration. Then with Dan Mullen willing to come back to the Tri-State area, we go cheap - he asked for a bump in salary and wanted his assistants paid the same as they were at MSU. So Rutgers naturally turn to considering other candidates. Schiano was willing to come back, but Ash was much much cheaper. You get what you pay for most of the time.

oh and to remind people of the significant recruits we lost due to the Schiano/Flood transition... Saquon Barkley, Saeed Blacknall, David Njoku, Adonis Jennings, Tyler Weigers, Jonathan Hilliman, Kiy Hester, Pete Mokwuah, Justin Herron. And this doesn't include the top recruits in NJ who were leaning Rutgers but decided to go elsewhere once it went down.
10-12-2018 09:55 PM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

Big Ten coaches...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...633224002/

Can't believe I read an article about Frost's buy out. I don't care if he's 0-6. To fire him by the end of this year would be insane.
10-14-2018 04:44 AM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(10-14-2018 04:44 AM)TerpsNPhoenix Wrote:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...633224002/

Can't believe I read an article about Frost's buy out. I don't care if he's 0-6. To fire him by the end of this year would be insane.

If they do, they’ll never recover from that mistake.

I still think Frost will turn it around but it’ll be until 2020.
10-14-2018 01:28 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

(10-14-2018 04:44 AM)TerpsNPhoenix Wrote:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...633224002/

It's called lazy journalism.

The writer doesn't have an original thought or idea so he decides to start a controversy about nothing in an effort to get his name out.

Anything short of a MAJOR scandal and Frost has a job until he doesn't want it.
10-14-2018 06:29 PM
General Mike Offline
1st String

I'm of the opinion that Ash needs to go, but I'll believe it when I see it. I thought Ash would be a better game day coach than he is, and I thought he would be able to bring in some decent DLinemen. I'm not even sure if the issue on the team is talent. The players just look completely lost.
10-17-2018 07:29 AM
Advertisement

BadgerMJ Offline
All American

(10-17-2018 07:29 AM)General Mike Wrote:  I'm of the opinion that Ash needs to go, but I'll believe it when I see it. I thought Ash would be a better game day coach than he is, and I thought he would be able to bring in some decent DLinemen. I'm not even sure if the issue on the team is talent. The players just look completely lost.

Just out of curiosity....

Would Rutgers be interested in bringing Schiano back as head coach? He seemed to have pretty good success in his tenure. If not him then who?

Bret Bielema?

Jim Mora?

Les Miles?

Could be an interesting discussion.
10-17-2018 11:32 AM
AntiG Offline
1st String

me personally I'd love to any one of see Schiano, Miles, Tressel, Kiffin, Pelini, Leach, Leavitt, Cale Gundy.

All other than Gundy are experienced head coaches in FBS, and Gundy has been an assistant for two decades. Miles and Tressel have championship rings and have been named coach of the year. 3 of them run explosive offenses. Schiano, Leach and Leavitt all have proven that they can rebuilt a program from the shitter to annual appearances in bowl games. All of them can recruit.
10-17-2018 01:15 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

(10-17-2018 01:15 PM)AntiG Wrote:  me personally I'd love to any one of see Schiano, Miles, Tressel, Kiffin, Pelini, Leach, Leavitt, Cale Gundy.

All other than Gundy are experienced head coaches in FBS, and Gundy has been an assistant for two decades. Miles and Tressel have championship rings and have been named coach of the year. 3 of them run explosive offenses. Schiano, Leach and Leavitt all have proven that they can rebuilt a program from the shitter to annual appearances in bowl games. All of them can recruit.

That's a pretty good list.

The only thing I could see as an issue for Tressel and Miles is they're both in their mid 60's. Who knows how much longer they want to put up with the riggers of being a head coach. Not everyone is Bill Synder.

Leach and Pelini would be great from an entertainment stand point. They'd definitely make B1G media days must see TV. Both are pretty good coaches as well.

Kiffin is interesting. I wonder how long he'd stick around if he managed to turn the program into a winner. Maybe he's learned from his USC experience.

I don't think at this point it would be a good idea to hire an assistant, especially if they haven't been a head coach. Having someone who knows how to build & run a program is pretty much a must at this point.
10-17-2018 01:54 PM
AntiG Offline
1st String

(10-17-2018 01:54 PM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(10-17-2018 01:15 PM)AntiG Wrote:  me personally I'd love to any one of see Schiano, Miles, Tressel, Kiffin, Pelini, Leach, Leavitt, Cale Gundy.

That's a pretty good list.

The only thing I could see as an issue for Tressel and Miles is they're both in their mid 60's. Who knows how much longer they want to put up with the riggers of being a head coach. Not everyone is Bill Synder.

Leach and Pelini would be great from an entertainment stand point. They'd definitely make B1G media days must see TV. Both are pretty good coaches as well.

Kiffin is interesting. I wonder how long he'd stick around if he managed to turn the program into a winner. Maybe he's learned from his USC experience.

I don't think at this point it would be a good idea to hire an assistant, especially if they haven't been a head coach. Having someone who knows how to build & run a program is pretty much a must at this point.

agree - thats why Gundy was the only assistant with no significant HC experience I had on the list - he's been running the offense under Lincoln Riley and was around throughout the Stoops days as well and is their top recruiter, so bringing the Oklahoma explosive offense and swagger over I can forgo the lack of head coaching there.

Man do we need the right guy in here. Rutgers fans were on the verge of an annual top 25 P5 program before everything blew up.
10-17-2018 02:43 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I'd be shocked if Tressel came back to coaching. He's a university president now and seems to like it and he's been gone a long time. If he ever comes back, I don't expect it to be at the top level.

Schiano will be a head coach again, but no idea where (Tennessee really messed that up).

Really can't believe that Ash ended up as bad as it has been, but guess just wasn't out to be head coach (at least under those circumstances).

Honestly for Rutgers right now, I don't have any names, but I think if possible an up and comer head coach with Jersey ties (or at least regional ties) best bet. You don't ever know who is going to succeed and not (plenty we assume will take off who never do), but with that get someone who a) shows he knows how to do a rebuild and do it without always starting with the best of talent, b) knows the area well enough to maybe get a few kids who are being overlooked and hopefully continue to build relationships between the school and high schools in region.
10-17-2018 11:19 PM
Advertisement

megadrone Offline
1st String

The decommits are starting to pile up on the Banks. This will end up being a horrible, and maybe not even full, recruiting class. That will seal Ash's fate.
10-18-2018 11:05 AM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

So, we should get some clarity on DJ Durkin soon. Baltimore Sun : BOR to be briefed Friday. They'll also meet next Tuesday to discuss the issue more. Hopefully within the next week we'll find out one way or another what DJ Durkin's fate is.
10-19-2018 04:40 AM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

Here's a SBN article on Brohm replacing Petrino at Louisville. I'd be interested to know what Purdue would do if that happens.
10-19-2018 05:46 AM
megadrone Offline
1st String

Along those lines, Politi from the Newark Star-Ledger, speculating about potential replacements for Ash in the unlikely event Ash is fired: https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index...iver_index
10-19-2018 08:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.