Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Which annual matchups would ND keep?
USC
Stanford
Navy
none
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
If Notre Dame FB joins a conference, which annual OOC matchups do they keep?
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
If Notre Dame FB joins a conference, which annual OOC matchups do they keep?
NOTE: This thread is NOT about the likelihood of Notre Dame joining a conference. That has been discussed to death. Rather, it's about a hypothetical situation in which they do.

If ND football goes all in with the ACC, this would leave them with 4 OOC games. Right now they consistently play 3 teams every year: USC, Stanford, and Navy. They could retain all 3 as annual OOC matchups, but this would leave them with just 1 extra game. So I imagine they would drop at least 1 of the 3 rivals, possibly 2. USC is the strongest rivalry, so I think they'd keep them no matter what. Stanford is an artificial rivalry created to increase access to California recruiting. Navy remains on the schedule primarily in return for their help keeping ND financially afloat during WWII. Do they drop Stanford, Navy, both, or neither? What do you think?

My thoughts:

If they have 4 OOC games (as in the ACC):
1) USC
2) Shamrock Series
3) power conference teams (e.g., Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Stanford, etc.)
4) alternate between Navy for two years and other non-power conference teams (buy games) for two years

NOTE: In the ACC, a protected conference game with the Hurricanes (played in Miami at the end of the season when not playing at USC) could replace the annual Stanford game for the purposes of access to fertile recruiting grounds.

If they have 3 OOC games (as in the Big Ten):
1) USC
2) Shamrock Series
3) alternate between Navy for two years and power conference teams (e.g., Boston College, Miami, Pittsburgh, Stanford, etc.) for two years

Now, if they insist on keeping Navy as annual, then here's what we might see:

If they have 4 OOC games (as in the ACC):
1) USC
2) Navy
3) Shamrock Series
4) power conference teams (e.g., Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Stanford, etc.)

If they have 3 OOC games (as in the Big Ten):
1) USC
2) Navy
3) power conference teams (e.g., Boston College, Miami, Pittsburgh, Stanford, etc.) -- some at neutral sites like the Shamrock Series

In the event that Navy joins the ACC for football only along with Notre Dame as a full member, then ND has more OOC schedule flexibility:

1) USC
2) Shamrock Series
3) power conference teams (e.g., Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Stanford, etc.)
4) non-power conference teams (buy games)
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2018 06:37 AM by Nerdlinger.)
10-20-2018 09:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

el_norte Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: St. Cloud State
RE: If Notre Dame FB joins a conference, which annual OOC matchups do they keep?
If it's the ACC then they get four out of conference slots and could be done as follows:

1 - USC/Stanford rotation
2 - Michigan/MSU/B1G rotation
3 - Keep Navy
4 - open

If it's the B1G then they only get three out of conference slots and would likely require them to drop Navy.

1 - USC/Standord rotation
2 - Boston College/Miami/ACC rotation
3 - open
10-20-2018 09:58 AM
domer1978 Online
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
RE: If Notre Dame FB joins a conference, which annual OOC matchups do they keep?
I'm bored, therefore I will answer. Easy answer, USC and Navy. Stanford is a new "rival".

Navy will never be removed by us.
USC will stay on as long as we play football.
Stanford was added to the schedule to assure we get a California trip every year. That is a disposable "rival". Much like a Purdue or Pitt, not true rivals.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2018 10:25 AM by domer1978.)
10-20-2018 10:21 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
If given 4 OOC games, my guess would be that administration would want to keep all three, along with a rotating schedule for Shamrock Series games and/or a B1G opponent (Michigan/Michigan State/Purdue). ND wants to play at least one game per year in California. Navy is never getting off the schedule.
10-20-2018 12:51 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(10-20-2018 10:21 AM)domer1978 Wrote:  I'm bored, therefore I will answer. Easy answer, USC and Navy. Stanford is a new "rival".

Navy will never be removed by us.
USC will stay on as long as we play football.
Stanford was added to the schedule to assure we get a California trip every year. That is a disposable "rival". Much like a Purdue or Pitt, not true rivals.

That’s why I only vote for navy and USC.
I think newbie college fb fans think ND Stanford is a rivalry
10-20-2018 02:10 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
In this fantasy scenario, ND would keep playing all three.
10-20-2018 05:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Navy, USC, Stanford, and Purdue.
10-20-2018 05:12 PM
OrangeDude Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
I think Domer is correct. Navy and USC remain. The ND-Miami annual game in the ACC will replace the Stanford game, just as basically the Stanford game replaced Miami previously.

Cheers,
Neil
10-21-2018 10:22 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
They are contracted to only join the ACC, should they join a so I’ll assume the ACC. If they join the ACC, it’ll likely necessitate a #16. Let’s assume West Virginia. Two divisions of 8:

Atlantic: Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Miami
Coastal: Florida St, Georgia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, North Carolina St, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia

I imagine Notre Dame joins with the caveat that division champions are determined solely on division games. That blocks out 7 games, leaving 5. Notre Dame may also negotiate an 8-game conference schedule. They could keep Navy, USC, and Stanford.
10-21-2018 10:47 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(10-21-2018 10:47 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  They are contracted to only join the ACC, should they join a so I’ll assume the ACC. If they join the ACC, it’ll likely necessitate a #16. Let’s assume West Virginia. Two divisions of 8:

Atlantic: Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Miami
Coastal: Florida St, Georgia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, North Carolina St, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia

I imagine Notre Dame joins with the caveat that division champions are determined solely on division games. That blocks out 7 games, leaving 5. Notre Dame may also negotiate an 8-game conference schedule. They could keep Navy, USC, and Stanford.

I thought that TerryD said that the Irish would NEVER return to Morgantown. The ACC would be better served by adding Vanderbilt or Cincinnati rather than the Mountaineers.
10-21-2018 10:58 AM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

(10-21-2018 10:58 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(10-21-2018 10:47 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  They are contracted to only join the ACC, should they join a so I’ll assume the ACC. If they join the ACC, it’ll likely necessitate a #16. Let’s assume West Virginia. Two divisions of 8:

I thought that TerryD said that the Irish would NEVER return to Morgantown. The ACC would be better served by adding Vanderbilt or Cincinnati rather than the Mountaineers.

Why would Vanderbilt ever voluntarily leave the SEC for the ACC? Are you suggesting they might be kicked out?
10-21-2018 11:14 AM
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

(10-20-2018 05:06 PM)TerryD Wrote:  In this fantasy scenario, ND would keep playing all three.

Even if they only had 3 OOC games?
10-21-2018 11:18 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

(10-21-2018 11:18 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(10-20-2018 05:06 PM)TerryD Wrote:  In this fantasy scenario, ND would keep playing all three.

No, in my response to your fantasy scenario, the ACC plays 8 conference games.

The reason that I say all three is that ND will always want to play Southern Cal.

It has pledged to play Navy as long as the latter wants to, a pledge ND has kept for 73 years.

ND very much likes to end each season in California for West Coast recruiting purposes. Plus, it sees Stanford as its "aspirational peer" according to then ND president Father Edmund "Monk" Malloy.

That fourth OOC game would go to a big time opponent.

That leaves little room for things like the Shamrock Series or for playing other opponents.

So, one can easily see why ND does not want to give up its football independence....it restricts its schedules too much, for one thing.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2018 11:27 AM by TerryD.)
10-21-2018 11:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

(10-21-2018 11:23 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

The reason that I say all three is that ND will always want to play Southern Cal.

It has pledged to play Navy as long as the latter wants to, a pledge ND has kept for 73 years.

ND very much likes to end each season in California for West Coast recruiting purposes. Plus, it sees Stanford as its "aspirational peer" according to then ND president Father Edmund "Monk" Malloy.

That leaves little room for things like the Shamrock Series or for playing other opponents.

So, one can easily see why ND does not want to give up its football independence....it restricts its schedules too much, for one thing.

OK, but suppose they were down to 3 OOC games. Would they still keep all 3 as annual games?
10-21-2018 11:44 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

(10-21-2018 11:44 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  

OK, but suppose they were down to 3 OOC games. Would they still keep all 3 as annual games?

I doubt it. If we are meat cleavering ND's scheduling flexibility to that hacked apart point, I guess that Stanford would be the one to go.

What a sad, $hitty thing that would be.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2018 11:54 AM by TerryD.)
10-21-2018 11:51 AM
OrangeDude Offline
Special Teams

(10-21-2018 11:51 AM)TerryD Wrote:  
(10-21-2018 11:44 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  

I doubt it. If we are meat cleavering ND's scheduling flexibility to that hacked apart point, I guess that Stanford would be the one to go.

What a sad, $hitty thing that would be.

The whole thing is all fantasy. So assume that if ND were to join they would insist upon Navy as #16. Stanford back in the picture. 03-wink

Cheers,
Neil
10-21-2018 12:15 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

Lol, so it is incrementally less sad and $hitty....thanks, Neil.
10-21-2018 12:19 PM
OrangeDude Offline
Special Teams

(10-21-2018 12:19 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Lol, so it is incrementally less sad and $hitty....thanks, Neil.

Always glad to help the man who finally convinced me that expecting ND full-time was fool's gold.

Cheers,
Neil
10-21-2018 12:44 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Notre Dame will never give up USC. That's their historical, traditional rival. Not negotiable. That's like asking Michigan not to play Ohio State or Alabama to not play Auburn. Not happening.

Navy is almost the same, would only end under the worst duress.

Of those three, Stanford is easily the one that would get jettisoned first, if one had to go.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2018 01:46 PM by quo vadis.)
10-21-2018 01:46 PM
megadrone Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
Navy is only off Notre Dame's schedule when Navy wants to be off. Notre Dame is honor bound to that.

USC will always be on, so I'd go with those two.
10-22-2018 08:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.