Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How a three division conference title game could work
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
How a three division conference title game could work
Two lowest rated division champs play a 30 minute game with the winner then facing the higher ranked in another 30 minute game. :)
http://footballscoop.com/news/utahs-hs-n...ngle-game/
10-24-2018 09:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
RE: How a three division conference title game could work
Need a stadium with three dressing rooms, but as long as that is sorted out, that's one approach.

As far as the complaint from a losing "2nd place" finisher ... "we came into the second half tired from the first half and played a team that was rested and fresh" ... well, do better and own whatever record is required to be the first place division champion.

But as far as the opposite complaint when the seeded team loses ... "we came into the second half cold and they were fully warmed up", I do not how to answer that bit of whining, other than "suck it up, you knew the rules when you came".

Still doesn't solve the by-laws issue whether the NCAA will vote to allow 3 divisions in an FBS football conference.
10-25-2018 06:34 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(10-24-2018 09:14 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Two lowest rated division champs play a 30 minute game with the winner then facing the higher ranked in another 30 minute game. :)

Some crazy stuff happens at the high school level these days. E.g., last year I was in Ohio in late October and i read in a local paper that according to the convoluted formula used to determine state playoff participants, there were several teams that would make the playoffs if they lost their last game but miss them if they won.

How on earth does that happen?
10-25-2018 07:06 AM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
There won't be any thirty minutes games.

You'd have to use tie-breakers to decide which division champ was left out. The NCAA has allowed tiebreakers to determine conference championships since the beginnings of the NCAA, so they couldn't oppose that method.

(10-25-2018 07:06 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(10-24-2018 09:14 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Two lowest rated division champs play a 30 minute game with the winner then facing the higher ranked in another 30 minute game. :)

Some crazy stuff happens at the high school level these days. E.g., last year I was in Ohio in late October and i read in a local paper that according to the convoluted formula used to determine state playoff participants, there were several teams that would make the playoffs if they lost their last game but miss them if they won.

About 15 years ago North Carolina split each of their four categories of high schools (1, 2, 3, 4) in two (4A, 4AA) so that the number of state football champions went from 4 to 8. Teams with losing records now qualify for the playoffs. Every year a few teams that finish 2-6 make it in. It's unreal and reeks of "participation trophies" silly season. One coach I spoke with said that the real reason they did it was so that schools could collect another weekend of gate revenue. You could, in theory, have 2 state champions in one conference now.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2018 08:19 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
10-25-2018 08:10 AM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
You're going to need an ncaa waiver to do that. If you need a waiver you might as well ask for the right to host 2 semi-final games with the 3 division champs and a wild card.

Should the SEC go to 18 by adding the Texlahoma 4 this would make a lot of sense.

The ACC 14 + WVU could do this as well.

Maybe the Big Ten takes one for the team and adds Kansas so that they can do the same.

Heck, the Pac 12 has 3 natural pods of 4 that would lend itself well to this format.
10-26-2018 02:39 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(10-25-2018 07:06 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Have a hard time understanding that particular scenario. Now I have seen a few schools in Arkansas take a dive on the final Friday of the season to try to lose a tiebreaker that would put them in them on the same side of the bracket as a powerhouse. My understanding is they have changed the way brackets are done so teams from the same conference meet sooner now if they advance. Used to be teams in the same conference wouldn't meet unless they both made the finals.
10-26-2018 02:44 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(10-25-2018 06:34 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  Need a stadium with three dressing rooms, but as long as that is sorted out, that's one approach.

I thought I've seen it all on here but talk of a stadium with 3 dressing rooms is a first for me.
10-27-2018 09:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.