Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What if I told you the #12 Men’s Basketball Team Could Not Make the NCAA Tournament
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
What if I told you the #12 Men’s Basketball Team Could Not Make the NCAA Tournament
That’s what we have now in College Football

Needs to be all Conference Champs and 6 at large teams. First two rounds on campus the weeks after conference championship and then go to what we have now.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2018 06:59 PM by Carolina_Low_Country.)
11-01-2018 06:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: What if I told you the #12 Men’s Basketball Team Could Not Make the NCAA Tournament
(11-01-2018 06:51 PM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  That’s what we have now in College Football

Needs to be all Conference Champs and 6 at large teams. First two rounds on campus the weeks after conference championship and then go to what we have now.

Why #12? As it now stands, the #5 team doesn't make the playoffs. Last year, Ohio State was #5 and did not go to the playoffs. Good grief!
11-01-2018 07:53 PM
P5PACSEC Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5- Texas Tech
RE: What if I told you the #12 Men’s Basketball Team Could Not Make the NCAA Tournament
I would say get over it.

Currently, Temple is destroying your argument late in the 2nd qt. A stadium that should be filled for a Top #12 team has plenty of empty seats.
11-01-2018 07:55 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Completely different sport so it’s not remotely comparable. Also, that’d be #12 out of 350+ versus #5 our of 130.
11-01-2018 08:14 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(11-01-2018 06:51 PM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  That’s what we have now in College Football

1971 #2 USC was left out of the NCAA Tournament
1974 #3 Maryland was left out.
1970 #6 South Carolina was left out.

The NCAA had a one team per conference rule at the time.
11-01-2018 08:33 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
What is with this guys who think Football can run a playoff like basketball?

You can play 3 basketball games in 5 days in the NCAAs in March? You can't do that in Football.
11-01-2018 08:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports

I'd go along with the bolded part as long as the A5 moves up to a higher division within the FBS and leaves the G5 behind..
11-01-2018 08:41 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
[Image: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bdbabbd62717a48511366d2]
11-01-2018 08:44 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(11-01-2018 07:53 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Why #12? As it now stands, the #5 team doesn't make the playoffs. Last year, Ohio State was #5 and did not go to the playoffs. Good grief!

In 2014, TCU was probably #1, 2 or 3 and didn't make it.
11-01-2018 08:53 PM
McKinney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass, Army, Rutgers
(11-01-2018 08:39 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  What is with this guys who think Football can run a playoff like basketball?

You can play 3 basketball games in 5 days in the NCAAs in March? You can't do that in Football.

But you can play one game in one week. March Madness is what three weeks? So that'd be up to eight teams.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2018 08:57 PM by McKinney.)
11-01-2018 08:56 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(11-01-2018 08:39 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  What is with this guys who think Football can run a playoff like basketball?

FCS has a 24 team playoff eight teams have to win four to win it all and 16 have to win five.
Division II has a 28 team playoff, four teams have to win four, and 24 have to win five.
Division III has a 32 team playoff everyone has to win five to win it all.

So it isn't an impossibility.

Now if I could have the format I wanted (which is to say the least likely system) it would be a 12 team format.
First the 10 conference champs are seeded 1-10.
1-4 in that process get a bye and a home game.
5-8 get a home game
Then the two remaining champs and two at-large are seed 9-12 to fill out the brackt.

In 2017, you get something like this.
#1 Clemson hosts winner of #9 Alabama at #8 FAU
#4 Ohio State hosts winner of #12 Troy at #5 USC
#2 Oklahoma hosts winner of #10 Wisconsin at #7 Boise State
#3 Georgia hosts winner of #11 Toledo at #6 UCF

You want a bye? Win your conference. You want a home game? Win your conference.
Having Bama and Wisconsin travel to a G5 where they are favored makes for an interesting situation and some fun seeing the betting.
11-02-2018 02:02 AM
Advertisement

Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud

11-02-2018 07:44 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I get things suck from different perspectives. I really do. That said, my answer would be that I would actually have a reason to watch college basketball before the tournament.

Seriously I do get where you coming from and understand it sucks. I cant help it though. The limited nature of the national championship is what makes the sport great to me. Once you get auto-bids or defacto autobids, most of what I love about watching most games I sit to watch will be lost, especially in September and October. I would gladly go back to just two teams or go back to poll and bowl rather than expand the playoff at all.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2018 07:53 AM by ohio1317.)
11-02-2018 07:52 AM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt

Well #5 Ohio State wasn’t undefeated.

(11-01-2018 08:33 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

None of those teams were undefeated, either.

“2017 National Champions” sure looked good on the UCF Stadium upper deck last night. I don’t think they need a playoff if the playoff isn’t interested in crowning an undisputed champion.
11-02-2018 08:06 AM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn

But you can play 4 games in 4 weeks. It seems to work in every other division but FBS.
11-02-2018 08:30 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
In an expanded playoff anything can happen. People want to fret about who teams have played but like in basketball the truth is it is all about the matchups. Some teams, regardless of conference, would struggle against teams that ran a particular system that exposed their weakness. That's why I hate it when people compare scores and schedules.
11-02-2018 08:38 AM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

RE: What if I told you the #12 Men’s Team Could Not Make the NCAA Tournament
(11-02-2018 07:52 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  I get things suck from different perspectives. I really do. That said, my answer would be that I would actually have a reason to watch college basketball before the tournament.

Seriously I do get where you coming from and understand it sucks. I cant help it though. The limited nature of the national championship is what makes the sport great to me. Once you get auto-bids or defacto autobids, most of what I love about watching most games I sit to watch will be lost, especially in September and October. I would gladly go back to just two teams or go back to poll and bowl rather than expand the playoff at all.

Well as a guy who has followed college football for half a century rooting for a school that has been Division I, I-A, I-AA, I-A/FBS, I'm really not twisted over the current system.

I've done bowls and playoffs and bowls are a great fan and player experience. In a large playoff you go to your home stadium for another home game with different stakes or you have to make last minute travel arrangements to go last minute to someone else's stadium. There are no parades, pep rallies, battle of the bands, or pre-game concerts etc., for the visiting team. Win and wait to figure out where you are next. If you have a team that isn't a real contender you take your loss and go home but with bowls you can finish the season on an upbeat note.

The CFP gets more complaints than the BCS/Bowl Alliance/Bowl Coalition, and the original system yet has greater access to a big time bowl and making the four team playoff is more plausible.

Now I like the 12 team with 10 auto bid idea because it matters who wins the CUSA title game or the MAC title game both in who makes the playoff but also in who may be hosting a playoff game.

There is more drama. If it had been "12 best" last year one-third of the field would have entered the tournament having lost their last game.
11-02-2018 08:52 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-02-2018 08:06 AM)owl at the moon Wrote:  

Well #5 Ohio State wasn’t undefeated.

(11-01-2018 08:33 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

None of those teams were undefeated, either.

“2017 National Champions” sure looked good on the UCF Stadium upper deck last night. I don’t think they need a playoff if the playoff isn’t interested in crowning an undisputed champion.

So what about undefeated? They were all ranked way higher than #12, because umdefeated vs a soft schedule means very little.

If anyone had a complaint about the playoffs last year it was Ohio State, as they were #5 and got left out. We can worry about #12 once we worry about the 11 ahead of them, lol.
11-02-2018 09:05 AM
Negative Optimist Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: San Diego State

The point is the four best. Mucking it up with an unranked conference champ, 6 at-larges, and cake schedule undefeated and one-loss teams is the antithesis of this.

Schedule better, play better, quit crying.
11-02-2018 09:49 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
Or, you could separate between the teams and their conferences that actually have a chance to reach the CFP....and everyone else.

The current system is miles ahead of what college football used to be 30 years ago.
11-02-2018 09:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.