Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would you support an entire western division of the AAC
thespywhozaggedme Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
Hi guys, first time poster here. Just wanted to throw this out and get some feedback:
AAC West:
Boise State
BYU
Fresno
Houston
Tulane
Tulsa
San Diego State
SMU

AAC East:
Cincinnati
ECU
Memphis
Navy
Temple
UConn
UCF
USF
Play all 7 division members, plus 2 cross division opponents and 3 ooc games a year, with every team agreeing to play 2 P5's every year. I think this league, top to bottom would be equal to the worst P5 on a yearly basis and would be the first 16 team super conference and would all but lock up a monopoly on the NY6 G5 representative, plus it literally incorporates every team that has made the NY6 game thus far, with the exception of the 2 MAC team flukes, which with this new AAC being so strong SOS wise would virtually guarantee the bid on a yearly basis. Perception is reality and having a conference with teams in every timezone, would allow games to start first at noon EST on an ESPN channel and end at 10pm EST on an ESPN channel, starting and ending the day with the same conference games is great for brand awareness and marketing, plus the AAC tv contract is up soon and having a conference with UCF, USF,Boise, the eyeballs of the entire LDS community, etc will help with $$$ negotiations. Regarding the 2 P5 ooc games/year, that's my idea, but rumor is that P5 schools may decide all together to no longer play fcs teams as sos is playing a huge roll in the cfp rankings (they were talking about it last week on ESPNU radio) and lastly the playoff will expand eventually, there will just be too much of a demand for it and if/when they go to 8 and include the best G5 team, this new AAC will again, have a virtual lock on it. I'd do it in a heartbeat. What say you? Thanks
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2018 06:09 PM by thespywhozaggedme.)
11-09-2018 06:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Would you support an entire western division of the AAC
I believe something like this was attempted, but Boise wanted a sweetheart deal. Said conference responded "No" and Boise found another conference to give in to their demands.

[Image: insanity.jpg]

But swap out Boise for Air Force/Colorado State, and I think you're onto something!
11-09-2018 06:12 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
this is literally the 2012 planned big east with the replacement members
11-09-2018 06:15 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
No
11-09-2018 06:17 PM
glay83 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCF
I think the AAC is as good as the ACC (-Clemson) and PAC 10 but get treated like the other G5's. So I'm for building a super conference with the other good G5 teams Boise State, BYU, Freson St,, San Diego St. etc. No sweetheart deals though.
11-09-2018 06:25 PM
Special Teams

(11-09-2018 06:15 PM)pesik Wrote:  this is literally the 2012 planned big east with the replacement members

I think that proposal was only Boise and SDSU, this one adds Fresno and BYU to combine with the other teams listed to form a true western division.
11-09-2018 06:42 PM
Advertisement

Special Teams

(11-09-2018 06:17 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  No

Would you mind expounding on your answer, specifically addressing my points in my op? Thanks
11-09-2018 06:43 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
A million yesses.
11-09-2018 06:47 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
My “support” isn’t exactly relevant, but just personally I’d be against adding Boise State unless/until:

1. They make amends for the lawsuit they filed against Big East;
2. Smurf Turf: Gone; and
3. Academic profile improves dramatically.

On the other hand, adding BYU, Air Force (football-only), and — once the new athletic facilities are in place — San Diego State is an idea to which I’m very much open.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2018 06:52 PM by Native Georgian.)
11-09-2018 06:51 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

Yes, I would support this arrangement provided that the TV money was where we need it to be (or at least where it can be realistically maximized).

In a scenario like this, I would want to add Gonzaga as well to help improve basketball.

This arrangement would all but lock up the Access Bowl bid every year and inprove our chances of landing a playoff spot, should the number of spots be expanded.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2018 06:58 PM by Ned Low.)
11-09-2018 06:55 PM
Special Teams

(11-09-2018 06:51 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  My “support” isn’t exactly relevant, but just personally I’d be against adding Boise State unless/until:

1. They make amends for the lawsuit they filed against Big East;
2. Smurf Turf: Gone; and
3. Academic profile improves dramatically.

On the other hand, adding BYU, Air Force (football-only), and — once the new athletic facilities are in place — San Diego State is an idea to which I’m very much open.

Personal grudges aside, I'm trying to incorporate the best G5's into one conference and Boise must be included to fit that criteria, regardless of your bitterness about them.
11-09-2018 07:02 PM
Advertisement

Special Teams

(11-09-2018 06:55 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  Yes, I would support this arrangement provided that the TV money was where we need it to be (or at least where it can be realistically maximized).

In a scenario like this, I would want to add Gonzaga as well to help improve basketball.

This arrangement would all but lock up the Access Bowl bid every year and inprove our chances of landing a playoff spot, should the number of spots be expanded.
Yes, yes, yes exactly my point! It would virtually guarantee the NY6 game every year and the G5 spot for the playoffs when the expand, which they will. Instead of the AAC and MWC fighting with one another for the spot, take the best 3 teams along with BYU and form a true coast to coast conference. Conferences will expand again, it's a matter of when, not if and it's best to be proactive instead of reactive.
11-09-2018 07:05 PM
First Mate Offline
1st String

(11-09-2018 06:08 PM)thespywhozaggedme Wrote:  Hi guys, first time poster here. Just wanted to throw this out and get some feedback:
AAC West:
Boise State
BYU
Fresno
Houston
Tulane
Tulsa
San Diego State
SMU

AAC East:
Cincinnati
ECU
Memphis
Navy
Temple
UConn
UCF
USF
Play all 7 division members, plus 2 cross division opponents and 3 ooc games a year, with every team agreeing to play 2 P5's every year. I think this league, top to bottom would be equal to the worst P5 on a yearly basis and would be the first 16 team super conference and would all but lock up a monopoly on the NY6 G5 representative, plus it literally incorporates every team that has made the NY6 game thus far, with the exception of the 2 MAC team flukes, which with this new AAC being so strong SOS wise would virtually guarantee the bid on a yearly basis. Perception is reality and having a conference with teams in every timezone, would allow games to start first at noon EST on an ESPN channel and end at 10pm EST on an ESPN channel, starting and ending the day with the same conference games is great for brand awareness and marketing, plus the AAC tv contract is up soon and having a conference with UCF, USF,Boise, the eyeballs of the entire LDS community, etc will help with $$$ negotiations. Regarding the 2 P5 ooc games/year, that's my idea, but rumor is that P5 schools may decide all together to no longer play fcs teams as sos is playing a huge roll in the cfp rankings (they were talking about it last week on ESPNU radio) and lastly the playoff will expand eventually, there will just be too much of a demand for it and if/when they go to 8 and include the best G5 team, this new AAC will again, have a virtual lock on it. I'd do it in a heartbeat. What say you? Thanks

Only if this lineup guaranteed an automatic tie in to a NY6 bowl and a good chance to get in the playoff, I.e. power status
11-09-2018 07:12 PM
Special Teams

(11-09-2018 07:12 PM)First Mate Wrote:  
(11-09-2018 06:08 PM)thespywhozaggedme Wrote:  Hi guys, first time poster here. Just wanted to throw this out and get some feedback:
AAC West:
Boise State
BYU
Fresno
Houston
Tulane
Tulsa
San Diego State
SMU

AAC East:
Cincinnati
ECU
Memphis
Navy
Temple
UConn
UCF
USF

Only if this lineup guaranteed an automatic tie in to a NY6 bowl and a good chance to get in the playoff, I.e. power status

If that conference ever came to fruition it would have 3 or 4, maybe even 5 ranked teams every season.
11-09-2018 07:16 PM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
Realignment thread #895,347,216.
11-09-2018 07:18 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
No.
11-09-2018 07:24 PM
Advertisement

8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

As the Rutgers of the AAC I say yes. More teams to secure better bowls and TV deal so we can keep cashing those sweet sweet unearned checks.
11-09-2018 07:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Special Teams

(11-09-2018 07:18 PM)Hurricane Drummer Wrote:  Realignment thread #895,347,216.

I just joined here, my apologies if I've made a repetitive post. But I was extremely specific in my op and would love your feedback anyway. Thanks
11-09-2018 07:26 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
to answer the OP: Yes
11-09-2018 07:37 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(11-09-2018 07:37 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  to answer the OP: Yes

Cinci would be good in the West
11-09-2018 07:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.