Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MWC contract for $82 million not $77 million
Bookmark and Share
RebelRobert Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNLV

Sorry about the confusion this morning when I posted that the MWC contract was for only $77 million. New reports are coming out that say the contract is really worth $82 million over the seven years, five million higher than originally reported.

Go Mountain West!

Do any of you know what the C-USA lite renegotiated TV contract will look like from ESPN?

I am guessing $2 million a year for your 12 teams to split. Good luck with that.
08-26-2004 07:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Well atleast the Eastern U.S. won't have to see MWC crap anymore. Not that anyone watched in the first place.

Have fun on your local access channel :laugh:
08-26-2004 07:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3rdWardEagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

RebelRobert Wrote:Sorry about the confusion this morning when I posted that the MWC contract was for only $77 million. New reports are coming out that say the contract is really worth $82 million over the seven years, five million higher than originally reported.

Go Mountain West!

Do any of you know what the C-USA lite renegotiated TV contract will look like from ESPN?

I am guessing $2 million a year for your 12 teams to split. Good luck with that.
It could be worth $100 mil and it still wouldn't be worth it.

BTW, that contract will be reduced in the next three years when the network can't make a profit on your games because NOBODY SUBSCRIBES TO THEIR NETWORK.

Good luck reaching those four or five households that get the channel.
08-26-2004 07:57 PM
ThisboardisDEAD
Unregistered

RebelRobert,

I am happy for you and the MWC for such a nice contract money-wise, however I wonder if this will hurt recruiting for MWC schools if CSTV does not get more media markets in the next two years.

Most Eastern and Mid-Western markets do not carry CSTV at the present time. Only time will tell. It's a risk, but who knows it might pay off.
08-26-2004 07:57 PM
Quote this message in a reply
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals

rocketfootball Wrote:RebelRobert,

I am happy for you and the MWC for such a nice contract money-wise, however I wonder if this will hurt recruiting for MWC schools if CSTV does not get more media markets in the next two years.

Most Eastern and Mid-Western markets do not carry CSTV at the present time. Only time will tell. It's a risk, but who knows it might pay off.
Here's a lil' blurb <a href='http://www.collegesports.com/genrel/081104aad.html' target='_blank'>from the CSTV site</a>..

Quote:College Sports TV is available via cable in markets including Los Angeles, Detroit, Houston, Cleveland, South Florida, Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul, San Diego, Kansas City and Indianapolis. The network is expected to launch soon in Chicago, Baltimore, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Seattle and Denver.

Not bad at all...
08-26-2004 08:52 PM
ThisboardisDEAD
Unregistered

MongoSlade Wrote:

Most Eastern and Mid-Western markets do not carry CSTV at the present time.&nbsp; Only time will tell.&nbsp; It's a risk, but who knows it might pay off.
Here's a lil' blurb <a href='http://www.collegesports.com/genrel/081104aad.html' target='_blank'>from the CSTV site</a>..

Quote:College Sports TV is available via cable in markets including Los Angeles, Detroit, Houston, Cleveland, South Florida, Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul, San Diego, Kansas City and Indianapolis. The network is expected to launch soon in Chicago, Baltimore, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Seattle and Denver.

Not bad at all...
CSTV is not available on Dish Network. It is also not available in all of the following markets that it is partly available in:

Detroit
New York (part of NYC was just recently launched from what I hear)
Cleveland

The Philadelphia thing is for their expected contract with Comcast, which isn't available in the whole Philly viewing area either.

They have a long way to go.
08-26-2004 09:30 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane

That's nice Robert

You'll now be on channel 498, right next to Oxygen TV.
08-26-2004 11:10 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

DrBox Wrote:That's nice Robert

And next to the Sega Game Channel for Transvestites.
08-26-2004 11:18 PM
RebelRobert Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNLV

Not if CSTV decides to sublicense our games out to someone like Fox or CBS.

Fox Sports did this with their PAC-10 and Big-12 games when they sublicensed 11 games a year to TBS.

CSTV may end up doing the same sort of thing to recoup their money.

CSTV will also be setting up Regional TV networks for the Mountain West along with getting us internet/streaming capabilities for all our games/sports.

Big name BCS road non-conference games will still be shown on ESPN/ESPN2 just like they are now for the MWC. So don't think we are dissapearing off the scene. The MWC will still probably be on ESPN more than the WAC and CUSA even without us having a TV contract with that network.
08-26-2004 11:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies

RebelRobert Wrote:Fox Sports did this with their PAC-10 and Big-12 games when they sublicensed 11 games a year to TBS.
Ah...but sublicensing Pac 10 and Big 12 games is worth a few bucks more than MWC games!

Quote:The MWC will still probably be on ESPN more than the WAC and CUSA even without us having a TV contract with that network.

Now you're just being delusional. Prepare to feel the wrath of the mouse!
08-26-2004 11:26 PM
OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:

MongoSlade Wrote:

Most Eastern and Mid-Western markets do not carry CSTV at the present time.&nbsp; Only time will tell.&nbsp; It's a risk, but who knows it might pay off.

Not bad at all...
Umm...it being "available" to people in those markets is not the same as it being on people's television sets. Technically its available in every market because of Direct TV...for Direct TV subscribers who pay extra.

I live in Houston...and it isn't available to me. It isn't available to the average Joe six-pack with basic cable (or even digital cable) whose entire television habits are based on ESPN, ESPN 2, and ESPN News.

The access issues are serious. This is a massive gamble for both the MWC and CSTV. The latter is hoping that a big fish contract will help them reach a critical mass that lead to a getting more leverage to expand into more markets and be picked up by more cable providers. Then they can use that revenue to go and get a few more bigger fishes. However, if they don't get the additional access to cable subscribers in more markets, they won't be able to afford to pay the MWC contract over the long term.

It is a nice strategy for growth on CSTV's part, but their problem is that the MWC is not a big enough fish to carry the network in the minds of local cable providers.

Remember... The USFL was an imaginative idea once, too.
08-27-2004 06:12 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Its a big risk for big gain deal.. The network is much more likely to get into new mid west markets with the deal... If they can sell it it could be great for both partys. I read on another site that the WAC had a simular bigger deal with them but decided to play it safe and stay with espn. I wonder if it will have any effect on bowl tie in's.. ESPN has strong ties to vegas, fort worth, and liberty.. liberty is done.. but other 2 still need to be negotiated..
08-27-2004 07:54 AM
RockTheRock Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern Miss

The truth is, had C-USA gone out and done this, WebbleRobert would have been here poking fun and denigrating the contract as something only a bush league would do.
08-27-2004 08:54 AM
ThunderStruck Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Quite frankly, I'm happy for the MWC's TV Deal. Not only does it help another mid-major conference with other alternatives to revenue, but it serves notice to ESPN, that they are going to have to "Pony up" more $$$, or Conference USA might just take their product somewhere else as well.

THIS TV DEAL IS GOOD FOR ALL OF US. IT STARTS TO BREAK UP THE MONOPOLY THAT ESPN HAS USED, TO DICTATE WHAT IT WILL, & WILL NOT, DO FOR US.
08-27-2004 09:04 AM
3rdWardEagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

OUGwave Wrote:
MongoSlade Wrote:

Most Eastern and Mid-Western markets do not carry CSTV at the present time.  Only time will tell.  It's a risk, but who knows it might pay off.

Not bad at all...
Umm...it being "available" to people in those markets is not the same as it being on people's television sets. Technically its available in every market because of Direct TV...for Direct TV subscribers who pay extra.

I live in Houston...and it isn't available to me. It isn't available to the average Joe six-pack with basic cable (or even digital cable) whose entire television habits are based on ESPN, ESPN 2, and ESPN News.

The access issues are serious. This is a massive gamble for both the MWC and CSTV. The latter is hoping that a big fish contract will help them reach a critical mass that lead to a getting more leverage to expand into more markets and be picked up by more cable providers. Then they can use that revenue to go and get a few more bigger fishes. However, if they don't get the additional access to cable subscribers in more markets, they won't be able to afford to pay the MWC contract over the long term.

It is a nice strategy for growth on CSTV's part, but their problem is that the MWC is not a big enough fish to carry the network in the minds of local cable providers.

Remember... The USFL was an imaginative idea once, too.
Oh my God...I'm agreeing with OUGwave.

Spice is "available" to me through my Cox cable package here in Florida. But I don't subscribe to it.
08-27-2004 10:41 AM
3rdWardEagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

RebelRobert Wrote:

Fox Sports did this with their PAC-10 and Big-12 games when they sublicensed 11 games a year to TBS.

CSTV will also be setting up Regional TV networks for the Mountain West along with getting us internet/streaming capabilities for all our games/sports.

Big name BCS road non-conference games will still be shown on ESPN/ESPN2 just like they are now for the MWC. So don't think we are dissapearing off the scene. The MWC will still probably be on ESPN more than the WAC and CUSA even without us having a TV contract with that network.
R U on Crack Robert??????????????

The WAC will be on ESPN more than the MWC.

C-USA will be on ESPN more than the MWC.

Hell, C-USA was on ESPN more than the MWC when the MWC had an EXCLUSIVE DEAL with the MWC.

I know you are just defending your league and all...but could you at least ground yourself just a tad bit in reality.

Your silly little channel will not sell rights to CBS or ABC. Neither want the rights to MWC conference games. Further, why pay 88 mil only to farm out the best games??? That leaves little incentive for fans of the MWC to purchase the channel (that's assuming its "available" to them).

As for your road games...sure, they will be available pending on the attractiveness of the matchup. If CSU is playing Colorado AT Colorado...the game will probably be on Fox, ESPN or ABC. There may even be a BYU game or Utah game on ESPN some point in '06 too. Again, this all depending on the quality of the OCC game.
08-27-2004 10:48 AM
Advertisement

Loboblast Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

3rdWardEagle Wrote:
RebelRobert Wrote:

1. R U on Crack Robert??????????????

2. The WAC will be on ESPN more than the MWC.

3. C-USA will be on ESPN more than the MWC.

4. Hell, C-USA was on ESPN more than the MWC when the MWC had an EXCLUSIVE DEAL with the MWC.

I know you are just defending your league and all...but could you at least ground yourself just a tad bit in reality.

5. Your silly little channel will not sell rights to CBS or ABC. Neither want the rights to MWC conference games. Further, why pay 88 mil only to farm out the best games??? That leaves little incentive for fans of the MWC to purchase the channel (that's assuming its "available" to them).

As for your road games...sure, they will be available pending on the attractiveness of the matchup. If CSU is playing Colorado AT Colorado...the game will probably be on Fox, ESPN or ABC. There may even be a BYU game or Utah game on ESPN some point in '06 too. Again, this all depending on the quality of the OCC game.
1. You need to put down the pipe first!!!! 03-razz

2. The WAC is getting only $1 million a year, enough said!!!

3. New CUSA better hope they get three times what the WAC is getting!!

4. Good for you!!!!, but now that CUSA got worked by the Big East like a Micheal Jackson sleep over
:rolltide: CUSA will now bend over and take it with ESPN. :rofl:

5. "Silly little channel"?? Under contract they are required to sell 15 football/baskteball games to other major networks. The exclusive agreement incorporates all conference-related media and marketing rights, including, all television, national over-the-air and satellite radio, video-on-demand, online and broadband and exclusive corporate sponsorship rights.
08-30-2004 05:29 AM
catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU

Quote:Under contract they are required to sell 15 football/baskteball games to other major networks.

But to sell a game there has to be a buyer. ESPN showed you what the Mouse Corporation was willing to pay to televise the MWC games....not too much.

CBS has the SEC and isn't in the market for anything else.
ABC & the ESPN networks aren't going to be interested in televising a Saturday MWC game when they have Saturday Big 10, SEC & ACC games to show.
NBC has Notre Dame and NASCAR and isn't interested in any additional college football at this time.
Fox has baseball thru mid to late October
Fox Sports Net might be interested in a regional game, however they have Big XII and PAC 10 games available for Saturday time slots.
TBS has the Big XII & PAC 10

Who is going to want to buy a MWC game? They drew the lowest ratings of any conference when for the most part they weren't going head to head in a time slot against a BCS conference.

You best hope that CSTV front loads the money...because in the end it's going to cost the MWC a lot more in terms of exposure (that's not just to fans, that's to the people who vote in the polls as well) and name recognition than it's worth. If the general public didn't watch MWC games when they were on basic cable they sure as hell aren't going to pay extra just to see MWC games.
08-30-2004 07:54 PM
Loboblast Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

catdaddy_2402 Wrote:
Quote:Under contract they are required to sell 15 football/baskteball games to other major networks.

But to sell a game there has to be a buyer. ESPN showed you what the Mouse Corporation was willing to pay to televise the MWC games....not too much.

CBS has the SEC and isn't in the market for anything else.
ABC & the ESPN networks aren't going to be interested in televising a Saturday MWC game when they have Saturday Big 10, SEC & ACC games to show.
NBC has Notre Dame and NASCAR and isn't interested in any additional college football at this time.
Fox has baseball thru mid to late October
Fox Sports Net might be interested in a regional game, however they have Big XII and PAC 10 games available for Saturday time slots.
TBS has the Big XII & PAC 10

Who is going to want to buy a MWC game? They drew the lowest ratings of any conference when for the most part they weren't going head to head in a time slot against a BCS conference.

You best hope that CSTV front loads the money...because in the end it's going to cost the MWC a lot more in terms of exposure (that's not just to fans, that's to the people who vote in the polls as well) and name recognition than it's worth. If the general public didn't watch MWC games when they were on basic cable they sure as hell aren't going to pay extra just to see MWC games.
They are already doing it now!

Last year, New Mexico, besides being on ESPN, we got picked up by Fox Sports when we played at Texas Tech and at Washington St.

Why do you think it's going to change now??

The MWC, out of all the other nonBCS leagues, is able to schedule more 1 and 1 games vs quality BCS teams right now! Now that we are going to be televised even more don't you think we'll be able to continue to do that?
Can other nonBCS confs be able to host BCS teams and garauntee them to be on TV and have a good payout??

Just look at the line up this year compared to other nonBCS confs!!

Texas Tech @ UNM
Washington St @ UNM
Colorado @ CSU
Minesota @ CSU
California @ AFA
Ole. Miss @ Wyoming
Texas AM @ Utah
North Carolina @ Utah
Notre Dame @ BYU
USC @ BYU

UNLV and San Diego St are the only teams that don't host a BCS team, but they do play @ Wisconsin, @ Tennesse, @ UCLA @ Michigan.

That is at least 1 program from each BCS conf! I think that is pretty good for a nonBCS conf to be able to get those kinds of games at MWC stadiums! Just look...Ole Miss at Wyoming!!! First ever SEC team at a MWC site!

With this new deal with CSTV i see no reason for MWC to continue to host better BCS opposition.
08-31-2004 03:41 PM
catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU

Quote:With this new deal with CSTV i see no reason for MWC to continue to host better BCS opposition.

There's one big reason why....the BCS did away with the strength of schedule factor in the rankings.

In the future you will see more BCS schools that will refrain from the home and homes that they can get away from playing in favor of the one and done, or at least two for one deals that put them at less risk of a loss. Clemson, for example, had a pretty tough OOC slate lined up in the future before the ACC expanded. We've already backed out of a home and home with Oklahoma in '09 & '12 in favor of finding a pair of "one and done" schools. With one of our OOC games required to be away every other year (the South Carolina game is mandated by state law) you can bet your behind the other two OOC games will be at home simply because we make far more money playing cupcakes at home than anybody on the road. If the schedule is expanded to 12 games every year....we'll play no less than 3 out of 4 at home. And we aren't the only school looking at "dumbing down" the schedule....Notre Dame and others are as well.

Then, when we do play a road OOC game....we aren't going to want to play a school that plays in a conference that will not ensure to us when the game is scheduled that we will have a chance at some decent media exposure....especially at a school with high school sized crowds and/or stadiums. We figure we do that enough when we play @ Duke or @ Wake in conference...we ain't gonna do it OOC. The MWC can't give those assurances, because it's out of their control. CSTV isn't going to be willing to sell every OOC game the MWC has...and as far as we are concerned we can play @ UCF, La Tech in Shreveport, or line up a game vs ECU in Charlotte and/or Houston/Rice in Reliant and get the results of those games in the Sunday paper....not as a footnote on page 7 of the Monday sports page drowned out by the NFL recaps. The added bonus to playing the games I mentioned is exposure in fertile recruiting grounds as well....again, something the MWC as a general rule can't offer.
09-02-2004 12:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.