Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poor Playoff Arguments Against UCF (ESPN GameDay)
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
Poor Playoff Arguments Against UCF (ESPN GameDay)
A few minutes ago, the ESPN GameDay commentators made arguments against UCF and the college playoff. Their arguments centered around strength-of-schedule.

The challenge with strength-of-schedule is that many programs which can raise the profile of the schedule refuse, or freeze-out, a school like UCF. Point- Are Florida, Florida State, and Miami willing to visit Orlando to play the Knights?

Additionally, ESPN has some control over scheduling. Each year, the season starts with some special kick-off games. Usually, we get teams that have a chance at winning the national championship. For example, ESPN could have opened the season with UCF playing Alabama in Atlanta or Dallas.

A few years ago, Houston played Oklahoma to start the season and the Cougars won.

The strength-of-schedule argument only goes so far. Schools expected to make some noise should be scheduled to open the season like a contender.
11-17-2018 10:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Poor Playoff Arguments Against UCF (ESPN GameDay)
Playing Florida, FSU, or Miami this year wouldn't have helped UCF's SOS.
11-17-2018 10:50 AM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
(11-17-2018 10:50 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  Playing Florida, FSU, or Miami this year wouldn't have helped UCF's SOS.

This.

A couple of points: we have played a 1x1 w/ Miami, and we were scheduling Miami this last off-season before the Florida citrus bowl interjected themselves and suggested to Miami that instead of doing a hvh we do at Miami and “neutral” at camping world stadium. Miami liked the idea and the fcb torpedoed the whole deal.
11-17-2018 11:23 AM
chess Offline
Heisman

Jeez- Let me restate my argument about schools freezing out American schools for scheduling- Would Alabama, Georgia, or Auburn agree to play UCF in Orlando for a home and home scheduling agreement?
11-17-2018 11:48 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
They always say "they don't play anybody."

Nobody will play us.
11-17-2018 11:53 AM
Advertisement

jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

(11-17-2018 11:48 AM)chess Wrote:  Jeez- Let me restate my argument about schools freezing out American schools for scheduling- Would Alabama, Georgia, or Auburn agree to play UCF in Orlando for a home and home scheduling agreement?

I didn’t mean any disrespect was just saying the last time we tried to schedule 1 of the “big 3”.
11-17-2018 12:35 PM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
And still cherry picking, etc.
Listed Memphis as UCF's best win while schedule bashing...ummm, Pitt? Slaughtered the team thats on the cusp of clinching its P5 division?

Also called Colley Matrix "little known " Colley Matrix was aBCS computer and you KNOW that!!!
11-17-2018 12:41 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

(11-17-2018 12:41 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  And still cherry picking, etc.
Listed Memphis as UCF's best win while schedule bashing...ummm, Pitt? Slaughtered the team thats on the cusp of clinching its P5 division?

Also called Colley Matrix "little known " Colley Matrix was aBCS computer and you KNOW that!!!

Good call- Pittsburgh is currently leading their side of the ACC division and, if they win out, play Clemson for the ACC Championship.
11-17-2018 02:05 PM
Crazier Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
If this was the BCS era, UCF would be top 5 already although they wouldn't be able to reach the championship game. They just want to keep smaller schools out.
11-17-2018 02:19 PM
Advertisement

memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(11-17-2018 11:48 AM)chess Wrote:  Jeez- Let me restate my argument about schools freezing out American schools for scheduling- Would Alabama, Georgia, or Auburn agree to play UCF in Orlando for a home and home scheduling agreement?

You make a great point. ESPiN could make sure UCF was matched up against a top ranked school to start the season if they wanted to.
11-17-2018 02:58 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U

UCFs best win this year was against Temple.
11-17-2018 04:30 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
It is a cartel.
11-17-2018 04:45 PM
Meatwad Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF & The Arsenal
(11-17-2018 02:05 PM)chess Wrote:  

Good call- Pittsburgh is currently leading their side of the ACC division and, if they win out, play Clemson for the ACC Championship.
didn't even have to win out, the win today against wake clinched the coastal.
11-17-2018 05:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
OSU has played exactly 2 teams with winning records yet are ranked 23rd in SOS. How exactly is SOS done and more importantly how valuable is it? Playing teams that beat other teams to give a higher SOS doesn't make that team better.

It's pure guessing because college football only plays 12 games. How it more valuable to have a good SOS but get blown out and squeak by other bad teams than to go undefeated? BTW, UCLA has a 17 SOS rating at 2 and 8. Is that good SOS more valuable then actually winning?
11-17-2018 06:39 PM
glay83 Offline
Water Engineer

(11-17-2018 04:45 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  It is a cartel.

Well they actually said on Game Day the playoffs are not meant for the G5 and if they increased it to 8 teams UCF wouldn't be in that 8 either. Sure smells like a cartel to me.
11-17-2018 06:42 PM
First Mate Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(11-17-2018 06:42 PM)glay83 Wrote:  

Well they actually said on Game Day the playoffs are not meant for the G5 and if they increased it to 8 teams UCF wouldn't be in that 8 either. Sure smells like a cartel to me.

That cannot happen. We have to do whatever is necessary to have the best team outside of the Cartel5 get an auto bid to the 8 team playoff.

I don’t know how but we have to make sure that is there in an expanded playoff. 5 power conference champs auto bid, 1 non-cartel conference champ, 2 wild cards
11-18-2018 02:34 PM
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(11-18-2018 02:34 PM)First Mate Wrote:  
(11-17-2018 06:42 PM)glay83 Wrote:  

That cannot happen. We have to do whatever is necessary to have the best team outside of the Cartel5 get an auto bid to the 8 team playoff.

I don’t know how but we have to make sure that is there in an expanded playoff. 5 power conference champs auto bid, 1 non-cartel conference champ, 2 wild cards

In the unofficial AP poll UCF is now tied for 8th, so they are knocking on the door of earning a top 8 spot. BTW, if Pitt beats Clemson in the ACC championship game, you would see a 4 loss P5 team in the playoffs, if those rules applied. Or if 4 loss Wisconsin wins the B!G as champions of their division.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2018 02:44 PM by sfink16.)
11-18-2018 02:43 PM
knightmite Offline
1st String

(11-17-2018 10:50 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  Playing Florida, FSU, or Miami this year wouldn't have helped UCF's SOS.

Who could have ever expected this. Is it the end of the world or the beginning of an expanded playoff system? 04-cheers
11-18-2018 03:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.