Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff
Nicole Auerbach
‏Verified account @NicoleAuerbach

EXCLUSIVE: Major college football power brokers like Bob Bowlsby, Barry Alvarez and Gordon Gee tell @TheAthleticCFB that it's time to start talking about an eight-team playoff. As soon as 2020? It's possible:

https://theathletic.com/708538/2018/12/1...m-support/

Behind a pay wall, but title says it all.
12-12-2018 10:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: The Athletic: college football power brokers pushing for 8 team playoff
Eight might well stabilize current conference alignments.
12-12-2018 10:22 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
Eight has seemed inevitable to me for a long time. I hope it happens.
12-12-2018 10:27 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think 6 is much better than 8 since it rewards 2 by giving them byes and keeps value for conference title games. I don’t really see any reason for a loser in a conference title game to be able to go to the playoffs. I would Give 5 auto bids to the big 10,sec, acc, big 12, and pac 12 with 1 open slot to have a geographic interest in the playoffs. Have a round at higher seed week after conference title games, than keep everything else as is. I guess you would have the 2 losers from the 1st round go to a bowl. This probably would freeze conference realignment. However, I would force the issue on the big 12 and say auto bids only go to leagues with 12 teams. I think it’s stupid to have a conference title game with 10 teams and that would put 2 more teams in the pool.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2018 11:14 AM by bluesox.)
12-12-2018 10:31 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
8-- 5 from the P5, two wild-cards and best from the G5.
12-12-2018 10:35 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
It was a very real possibility this year that the CFP could have been an all SEC/ACC affair if Georgia had narrowly beat Alabama. (And yes, I am counting ND as an ACC-lite)
12-12-2018 10:38 AM
Advertisement

Phlipper33 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Texas A&M
It won’t happen (at least for quite some time), but I wish the NCAA would make an official playoff for the FBS level. All other levels have official playoffs.

All conference champs get auto-bid, then have another 6 at large teams. FCS has a 24 team playoff, FBS can have 16.

Only loser in this situation is the bowl games, any bowls not in the playoff would essentially be NIT type games that get very little attention. Most of the playoffs would likely be on campus too, likely only semifinals and the final at neutral sites.
12-12-2018 10:40 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(12-12-2018 10:40 AM)Phlipper33 Wrote:  It won’t happen (at least for quite some time), but I wish the NCAA would make an official playoff for the FBS level. All other levels have official playoffs.

All conference champs get auto-bid, then have another 6 at large teams. FCS has a 24 team playoff, FBS can have 16.

Only loser in this situation is the bowl games, any bowls not in the playoff would essentially be NIT type games that get very little attention. Most of the playoffs would likely be on campus too, likely only semifinals and the final at neutral sites.

The P5 conferences would be losers in this scenario. They would lose their lucrative conference championship games in exchange for having to risk injury against first round body bag opponents.
12-12-2018 10:45 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

(12-12-2018 10:45 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(12-12-2018 10:40 AM)Phlipper33 Wrote:  It won’t happen (at least for quite some time), but I wish the NCAA would make an official playoff for the FBS level. All other levels have official playoffs.

The P5 conferences would be losers in this scenario. They would lose their lucrative conference championship games in exchange for having to risk injury against first round body bag opponents.

Yeah, I don't think 10 autobids would really work for FBS.

Alabama/Northern Illinois would be a bloodbath.
12-12-2018 10:57 AM
ArQ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt/Louisville
(12-12-2018 10:31 AM)bluesox Wrote:  I think 6 is much better than 8 since it rewards 2 by giving them byes and keeps value for conference title games. I don’t really see any reason for a loser in a conference title game to be able to go to the playoffs. I would Give 5 auto bids to the big 10,sec, acc, big 12, and pac 12 with 1 open slot to have a geographic interest in the playoffs. Have a round at higher seed week after conference title games, than keep everything else as is. This probably would freeze conference realignment. However, I would force the issue on the big 12 and say auto bids only go to leagues with 12 teams. I think it’s stupid to have a conference title game with 10 teams and that would put 2 more teams in the pool.

If it is a six-team playoff, then P5 conference championship games should be re-calibrated as well. It should be the team with the best overall record vs the team with the highest CFP ranking. If it happens to be the same team, then the top two CFP ranked teams go to conference championship game. For example, Michigan and Syracuse will go to B1G and ACC conference championship games this year instead of Northwestern and Pittsburgh.

The sixth spot goes to the top CFP ranked G5 team after conference championship games.

Saturday (or in rare case, Monday) Dec 26 - 31. Wild card games in Gator Bowl and Camping World Bowl.
Saturday Jan 1 - 7. National Semi. Use the current NY6 bowls.
Monday Jan 9 - 15. National Championship Game.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2018 11:09 AM by ArQ.)
12-12-2018 11:00 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(12-12-2018 10:31 AM)bluesox Wrote:  ...keeps value for conference title games...

Don't get me wrong, I think we'll see 6 before we see 8, but I think that if we had 8 where all A5 champions were automatically in the playoff, it would instantly add a lot to the conference title games. Like, people might have actually watched the PAC12 title game if there were a trip to the playoffs on the line, but since everyone knew that wasn't happening, the game this year was much less appealing.
12-12-2018 11:02 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(12-12-2018 11:00 AM)ArQ Wrote:  
(12-12-2018 10:31 AM)bluesox Wrote:  I think 6 is much better than 8 since it rewards 2 by giving them byes and keeps value for conference title games. I don’t really see any reason for a loser in a conference title game to be able to go to the playoffs. I would Give 5 auto bids to the big 10,sec, acc, big 12, and pac 12 with 1 open slot to have a geographic interest in the playoffs. Have a round at higher seed week after conference title games, than keep everything else as is. This probably would freeze conference realignment. However, I would force the issue on the big 12 and say auto bids only go to leagues with 12 teams. I think it’s stupid to have a conference title game with 10 teams and that would put 2 more teams in the pool.

If it is a six-team playoff, then P5 conference championship games should be re-calibrated as well. It should be the team with the best overall record vs the team with the highest CFP ranking. If it happens to be the same team, then the top two CFP ranked teams go to conference championship game. For example, Michigan and Syracuse will go to B1G and ACC conference championship games this year instead of Northwestern and Pittsburgh.

The sixth spot goes to the top CFP ranked G5 team after conference championship games.

Eight is more efficient. Six takes the same amount of time to run as an 8 team playoff. May as well go to 8 if your going to expand.
12-12-2018 11:04 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
Step #1, get rid of CCGs

Seed 1-8 on Sunday post Thanksgiving with 2 fixed sites and 2 flex sites between Atlanta, Indy, JerryWorld, Santa Clara/Charlotte/DC/Miami.

8 neutral site games, NO AQ. Conference champs go undeclared unless teams win with conference record outright, but essentially it means nothing.

The playoff will generate 4 guaranteed money slots. You can play the first game Friday night and three on Saturday all in a separate TV window.
12-12-2018 11:05 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I don’t really see big 10 and sec dumping conference title games. It’s more likely the big 10 and sec want to expand to 16 and have a 2 game playoff for each conference and keep the money in house. That is the real issue, does the big 10 and sec throw in the towel on conference expansion by allowing the playoffs expand to 6-8?
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2018 11:13 AM by bluesox.)
12-12-2018 11:12 AM
ArQ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt/Louisville
(12-12-2018 11:04 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(12-12-2018 11:00 AM)ArQ Wrote:  

Eight is more efficient. Six takes the same amount of time to run as an 8 team playoff. May as well go to 8 if your going to expand.

See my revision of the post. It makes all the P5 conference championship games more meaningful.
12-12-2018 11:13 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(12-12-2018 10:57 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  

They never seem to worry about scheduling those games in regular season, in the case of the SEC in November.
12-12-2018 11:18 AM
Advertisement

Gamecock Offline
All American

(12-12-2018 11:18 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

They never seem to worry about scheduling those games in regular season, in the case of the SEC in November.

Regular season is one thing, but no one except die hards are going to tune in to watch that.

I'm all for having G5 teams in the playoff (and even guaranteeing at least one), but not on an autobid basis.
12-12-2018 11:38 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(12-12-2018 11:38 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  

Regular season is one thing, but no one except die hards are going to tune in to watch that.

I'm all for having G5 teams in the playoff (and even guaranteeing at least one), but not on an autobid basis.

Just like no one tunes in when Duke plays Jackson State in the NCAA Tournament? 07-coffee3
12-12-2018 11:46 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC

For the 8-team playoff, how about 1 G5 auto-bid and they have to be ranked in the top 20?

Most teams end up in a bloodbath against Alabama this year.
12-12-2018 11:48 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

(12-12-2018 11:46 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(12-12-2018 10:45 AM)ken d Wrote:  The P5 conferences would be losers in this scenario. They would lose their lucrative conference championship games in exchange for having to risk injury against first round body bag opponents.

Just like no one tunes in when Duke plays Jackson State in the NCAA Tournament? 07-coffee3

I just don't see them choosing to go that route.
12-12-2018 11:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.