Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: How would you schedule an 8 team playoff?
This poll is closed.
Option 1 66.67% 12 66.67%
Option 2 33.33% 6 33.33%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How would you structure an 8 team playoff?
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
How would you schedule an 8 team playoff?

Option 1:

Quarter-finals 2 weeks after conference championships, Semi-finals at NY6 bowls, final as it is now

Option 2:
Quarterfinals at NY6, Semi-finals on a Monday/Tuesday night 7-10 days later, final after that--possibly the Saturday before the Pro Bowl
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2018 05:29 PM by Fighting Muskie.)
12-26-2018 05:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
7 P5 and top G5.

Top 4 seeds get home games, then follow established protocol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
12-26-2018 06:45 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
RE: How would you structure an 8 team playoff?
4 of the NY6 would be the Quarter finals.

2 highest winning seeds host semi-finals the next week. <-- only real format change

Championship game pushed back a week.

Teams in: 5 P5 conference champions and top 3 at-large. Top G5 would be evaluated against at-large, but get a NY6 regardless. Last 2 NY6 games pit G5 and P5 #9, 10, 11, just like today.

Note: I'm OK with top 8 being picked, so long as extra weight is given to P5 CCG winners. A Utah winning the P12 or Northwestern winning the B1G would be worthy of passing over.
12-26-2018 07:37 PM
Fighting Muskie Online

(12-26-2018 07:37 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  4 of the NY6 would be the Quarter finals.

2 highest winning seeds host semi-finals the next week. <-- only real format change

Championship game pushed back a week.

Teams in: 5 P5 conference champions and top 3 at-large. Top G5 would be evaluated against at-large, but get a NY6 regardless. Last 2 NY6 games pit G5 and P5 #9, 10, 11, just like today.

Note: I'm OK with top 8 being picked, so long as extra weight is given to P5 CCG winners. A Utah winning the P12 or Northwestern winning the B1G would be worthy of passing over.

I'm partial to using the NY6 bowls as the quarter finals too. Perhaps the two sites from the NY6 not utilized as quarter final sites can host 2 games--one around New Years and then serve as Semi-final sites a week later.

My only point of difference is I think the G5 champ should get into the 8 team playoff. This year with Washington at #9 it would be the difference of letting in #8 UCF in over #7 Michigan

2018 line up:
Peach Bowl: 1 Alabama vs 9 Washington
Sugar Bowl: 2 Clemson vs 8 UCF
Rose Bowl: 3 Notre Dame vs 6 Ohio St
Fiesta Bowl: 4 Oklahoma vs 5 Georgia

Non-playoff
Orange Bowl: 7 Michigan vs 10 Florida
Cotton Bowl: 11 LSU vs 12 Penn St

Miami and Arlington host semi finals--highest seed to advance given preference on site.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2018 09:03 PM by Fighting Muskie.)
12-26-2018 08:31 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
Auto-bids for P5 conference champs and top G5 conference champ (provided they finish in top 15-will happen most years). 2 at-large bids. I wouldn't make a special dispensation for Notre Dame, but I'd probably be outvoted on that, so that's negotiable.

Quarterfinals to be played on campus sites in mid-December (this year, weekend of 12/15 or 12/22). Dates are negotiable among ADs and presidents, as finals week is an issue. One quarterfinal game is played on Friday night, the other three are played at 12 PM/4 PM/8 PM Eastern time on Saturday. Using home fields in this round are the best way to generate the desired gate revenue. There is a risk of diminishing returns when asking a fan base to travel in large numbers for three rounds of playoffs. Home field advantage serves as a reward for the 4 highest seeded teams. (Unlike the lower division playoffs, revenue generation is as important as determining a champion. In the lower divisions, the primary goal is to determine a champion. Fan bases aren't expected to travel in large numbers with the team.)

* In this situation, I'd allow the NCAA to allow losing teams to take a post-season trip to a warm-weather site in lieu of a bowl trip. A quarterfinal game in Tuscaloosa, Alabama or Norman, Oklahoma is not the same player experience as a bowl game. I wouldn't go to the trouble of making losing teams play a consolation game in a bowl.

Semi-finals to be played in rotating NY6 bowls on New Year's weekend, as currently played.

National championship game to be played on first or second Monday night in January, as currently played.

This year, the lineup would be:

Quarterfinals:
#8 Washington (Pac-12 champ) at #1 Alabama (SEC champ)
#5 Georgia (at-large) at #4 Oklahoma (Big 12 champ)
#6 Ohio State (B1G champ) at #3 Notre Dame (at-large)
#7 UCF (G5 rep) at #2 Clemson (ACC champ)

Semifinals: Current rotating structure. #1 seed, if they advance, gets preference of semi-final site.

Finals: Up for bid, as in the present.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2018 09:56 PM by johnintx.)
12-26-2018 09:48 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
I would go with an 8 team unseeded format.

-NY6 expands to NY8 (LV and Gator). Elevate Gator instead of Citrus or Outback so SEC/B1G can keep their cash cows.

-NY8 is the quarterfinal round played NYD weekend. This will push the champ game out another week but not too intrusive.

-Top 8 teams, no autobids. With an unseeded quarterfinal it would allow the continuation of the B1G/PAC champs in the Rose Bowl if both in the Top 8 and the Rose that year in the quarters rotation.

-With the addition of 2 more bowl games to satisfy the NY8 rotation that is 4 more slots. Give those 4 slots to the G5 so every conference champion ends up in a major bowl.

Non-Playoff games would be selected on rotation so they can fill them with one P5 first to ensure marketability. Then add in G5 champs where applicable.
12-27-2018 12:10 AM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
With 12 teams and all conference champs. Top four seeds an extra home game vs lowest four seeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-27-2018 01:22 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
5+1+2

First round at home fields two weeks after title games

Semi on NYD

Championship game on roughly Jan 10
12-27-2018 02:32 PM
TrueBlueDrew Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
4 NY6 Bowls are the quarterfinals

The remaining 2 NY6 are the semi-finals all on a rotation basis

Then the National Title game is its own entity as it is currently.

The 8 teams come from 3 categories:
-5 conference champions
-2 At-Large
-1 G5 champion

Conference champions are seeded 1-5 based on the Out of Conference record vs FBS teams of the entire conference. For example, if the SEC had the most Out of Conference wins vs FBS teams, their champion would be the number 1 seed and so on.

At-Large teams are the runner-ups from the top 2 seeded conferences. For example, if this year the top 2 conferences in Out of Conference wins vs the FBS were the SEC and the Big 10, UGA and Northwestern would get the 6 and 7 seeds of the playoff.

The G5 champion is determined how it normally is. Since the Access Bowl for G5 teams is a NY6 bowl game, it will continue as usual except the G5 champion will be the 8th seed in the playoff and will advance should they win.
12-27-2018 03:52 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(12-27-2018 01:22 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  With 12 teams and all conference champs. Top four seeds an extra home game vs lowest four seeds

I think you missed the "8" in the title. And the OP. And the poll.

(12-27-2018 03:52 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  4 NY6 Bowls are the quarterfinals

-5 conference champions
-2 At-Large
-1 G5 champion

Conference champions are seeded 1-5 based on the Out of Conference record vs FBS teams of the entire conference. For example, if the SEC had the most Out of Conference wins vs FBS teams, their champion would be the number 1 seed and so on.

At-Large teams are the runner-ups from the top 2 seeded conferences. For example, if this year the top 2 conferences in Out of Conference wins vs the FBS were the SEC and the Big 10, UGA and Northwestern would get the 6 and 7 seeds of the playoff.

The G5 champion is determined how it normally is. Since the Access Bowl for G5 teams is a NY6 bowl game, it will continue as usual except the G5 champion will be the 8th seed in the playoff and will advance should they win.

I gather that your intent is to discourage power conference schools from scheduling OOC games against one another. That way they play more G5 schools. Am I right?
12-27-2018 04:22 PM
Fighting Muskie Online

I like the idea of a big quarterfinal weekend in December but I think the bowls would feel shafted by having some of the top teams pulled away.

Letting the quarterfinals be played at the NY6 bowls and then letting the 2 hosting semi-finals up would make a lot of folks happy. The two sites who are going to be semi-final sites later in January would also host another bowl on or around New Years Day featuring 2 of the 4 top ranked teams not selected for the playoff field. This gives the Tournament of Roses a big game on NYD even when they aren't a quarterfinal site.

This opens the question of when to play the semis and the title. The NFL playoff schedule makes things a little crowded. They'd need to work around those games by playing on weeknights (Mon & Tues) or in weekend time slots where they aren't going head to head with the NFL. the Saturday night before the Pro Bowl seems like the ideal time to play the National Title Game.
12-27-2018 05:43 PM
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(12-27-2018 04:22 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(12-27-2018 01:22 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  With 12 teams and all conference champs. Top four seeds an extra home game vs lowest four seeds

-5 conference champions
-2 At-Large
-1 G5 champion

I gather that your intent is to discourage power conference schools from scheduling OOC games against one another. That way they play more G5 schools. Am I right?

My intent would be more to discourage P5 teams from scheduling FCS schools and instead schedule more FBS whether they be G5 or P5.
12-28-2018 09:53 AM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(12-28-2018 09:53 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(12-27-2018 04:22 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  

-5 conference champions
-2 At-Large
-1 G5 champion

My intent would be more to discourage P5 teams from scheduling FCS schools and instead schedule more FBS whether they be G5 or P5.

Well, regardless of the intent, the effect would be P5 schools stocking up on bodybag G5 schools at the expense of more competitive OOC P5 opponents.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018 10:34 AM by Nerdlinger.)
12-28-2018 10:31 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
I'd structure an 8 team playoff in this way:

The first step would be to cut in half because there's never 8 deserving teams.

Then I'd do exactly what we are doing now.
12-28-2018 10:54 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
I'd hand my vote as a proxy to ESPN and the other media networks, because the point of the exercise is clearly to extract more money from them, so we should ask them which approach they think has greater media value.

As far as the eight team playoff I would structure if I was made King Of The World, I'd go with Kaplony's.
12-29-2018 04:19 AM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
(12-28-2018 10:54 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  I'd structure an 8 team playoff in this way:

The first step would be to cut in half because there's never 8 deserving teams.

Then I'd do exactly what we are doing now.

I like this and would also do one identically for G5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
12-29-2018 03:31 PM
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:The 8 teams come from 3 categories:
-5 conference champions
-2 At-Large
-1 G5 champion

The flaw in that is -- what if the 5th best happened to be a G5 one odd year? After all, if it NEVER would be -- then you wouldn't have to rank the "5 best conferences", right? Thus, you're giving the G5 an actual *advantage* over the P5 technically, by ALWAYS saying a G5 gets in on top of the 5 best.

Instead -- you'd just say the Top 6 Conference Champions based on Conference degree of difficulty.

OK, with that issue "solved", it's still flawed in another way. Ranking Conferences by all their teams has a flaw in it. You don't play everyone in your conference. There will be some teams you'll play in Other Conferences that you're involved with more than some teams IN your own conference. That's one of the other reasons why we have RANKINGS. :)

Because what if NW or Pitt at 8-5 with some Bad OOC losses + a weak conference schedule wins their conference, and they "shoot up" to #16 after their Conf Champ Upset -- while the AAC and/or MW Conf Champ is ranked higher? It's YOUR SoS. Strength or weakness of the teams you face in your conference (and OOC) will reflect that in your ranking. Just go by said team's ranking.

But going Top 6 Conf Champs based on Their ranking STILL has a couple problems:

(1) What if you have the 6th team REALLY LOW? Like, Not even remotely close to #8 who gets booted? They still go to a Small PLAYOFF (not just a big stage bowl that are for show)?
(2) What if this nixes a P5 Conference out of it? And going further, what if 2 G5s are ranked in the Top 8 like in 2009 (and that's not even counting Cinci who was in a P-Conf that year)?

For the 1st one -- realize that these are PLAYOFFS, *not* Bowls. It's going to be less "giving" to low ranked teams than a mere big BOWL situation put on for show. That's why the 4-team playoff isn't 3-best P5 Champs + 1 at-large. Notariety means squat. So with 8 slots -- when has it been closest to just 8 in BCS/NY Bowls, which again, is more lenient than playoffs? When it was 10 slots, ALL P6 Champs got in, and a G5 Champ had to be Better than a P6 Champ + ranked 16 or better. Reduce those slots to 8 for a PLAYOFF? NO WAY are they giving a G5 a slot *unconditionally*. Not even for mere big-show Bowls, let alone a for a less forgiving National Championship Playoff with a small pool of teams. NO. WAY. Nor should they.

The 2nd one -- they're not going to let a P5 Conference out of it if they're at least relatively close to #8, where a #7 or #8 is 2nd/3rd place in another conference. The whole point of them even talking about it despite the current long-term contract setup -- is to basically have something where all the P5 Champs are a shoe-in virtually every year (not just "often").

MY SCHEME FOR AN 8-TEAM NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFF TO BEST AVOID BAD SITUATIONS:
(1) Top 4 Get Unconditional Auto-Bids
(2) Anyone who is a Conf Champ or Undefeated Independent *AND* Is In The Top 8, gets an Unconditional Auto-Bid

Okay, freeze-frame. Is ANYONE against this, so far, at this point? Would you Ever want to nix a team ranked in the Top 8 who's a Conf Champ or Undefeated, for an 8-team Playoff? I'm assuming No. OK. Obviously this is RARELY RARELY RARELY RARELY ever going to fill all 8 spots. So it has to continue, of course, for all that is Conditional, when all 8 spots are Not unconditionally filled...

Conf-Champ At-Large Advantage:
(3) Up to 2 Conference Champs are granted an Auto-Bid if outside the Top 8 but within the Top 13* -- only if the # of Conference Champs has Not Yet Reached 6.

(4) Conference Diversity, For the Sake of the Conference Championship Races Playing a Part of the Playoff System
(4a) No more than 2 teams from the same conference unless 3rd one is Ranked in Top 6 *or* the team ranked directly below them is from their own conference.
(4b) No more than 3 teams from the same conference unless 4th one is Ranked in Top 4 (see #1)

*Arguably could be different, like 12 (50% more than # of playoff slots). I put 13 because it's based on the 16 BCS number that was just over 50% greater than the # of teams (10). You don't want this too low, because that would potentially nix a P5 Champ and/or undefeated G5 Champ. You don't want this TOO big because you do need to be somewhat close to #8 and not want to nix someone who is in the Top 8 ranking because of it.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2018 07:54 PM by toddjnsn.)
12-29-2018 07:11 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
If it goes to 8, the top 8 team. No guarantee slots for any team.
12-29-2018 08:08 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
I changed my mind. We need a 6 team playoff.

1st round :

Alabama 2nd string vs Clemson 3rd string

Clemson 2nd string vs Alabama 3rd string

Alabama & Clemson 1st strings get first round bye
12-29-2018 09:17 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
Auto-bids for the P-5 Champions & then the highest rated teams getting the other three slots (regardless of P-5 or G-5 designation).
12-29-2018 10:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.