Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Walk On's Independence Bowl: Duke vs Temple
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Pretty good AAC and ACC teams travel to lovely Shreveport Louisiana to play in the venerable Independence Bowl**. MC says this is an even matchup, between #40 and #46, but these are teams going in opposite directions.

Temple started the season the most embarrassing way possible, losing to FCS Villanova, then dropping a game to fellow G5 Buffalo. But after that terrible start, the Owls finished 8-2, beating Cincy and playing UCF close in AAC contests.

In contrast, Duke started the season 4-0, but slumped to 3-5 down the stretch, capped by an embarrassing 50 point loss to Wake Forest.

Should be a good one! 02-13-banana

** For the curious, Walk On's is a Louisiana sports bar, its original location is on the edge of the LSU campus and they've got several locations scattered around the state, maybe a couple in Mississippi and Texas too. Excellent wings and other finger food and a great atmosphere to watch sports.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2018 11:58 AM by quo vadis.)
12-27-2018 11:54 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
RE: Walk On's Independence Bowl: Duke vs Temple
It's been a nice Thursday afternoon game for us that are off today.
12-27-2018 02:40 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Looks like nice weather down there.
12-27-2018 03:06 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Temple definitely came ready to play.
12-27-2018 03:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Duke made some great adjustments at the half. Down 27-21 at the half they scored 21 unanswered in the third quarter and will start the fourth with a 3rd and goal at the Temple 4 yard line.
12-27-2018 04:14 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
Duke 49 - Temple 27 - 4th quarter.
12-27-2018 04:17 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

Hard to believe Temple led 20-7 at one point. Duke has erupted for 35 second half points.

56-27
12-27-2018 04:42 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

Duke representing the powerful ACC Coastal. 04-rock

07-coffee3
12-27-2018 04:55 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(12-27-2018 04:42 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Hard to believe Temple led 20-7 at one point. Duke has erupted for 35 second half points.

56-27

The I'm a P6 conference is 1-4 so far and that's over the lightest competition. This loss by what was one of the stronger AAC teams doesn't look good. If they don't pick up some wins their claims are going to appear very hollow to the general public.

Should Cincinnati stumble to Virginia Tech and Central Florida lose to L.S.U., both of which are possible, this could be quite harmful to hopes.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2018 05:17 PM by JRsec.)
12-27-2018 05:05 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Well based on the audio and video evidence Duke had 100% football fan attendance for this game. All six Duke football fans went to the bowl.
12-27-2018 05:08 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(12-27-2018 05:05 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(12-27-2018 04:42 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Hard to believe Temple led 20-7 at one point. Duke has erupted for 35 second half points.

56-27

The I'm a P6 conference is 1-4 so far and that's over the lightest competition. This loss by what was one of the stronger AAC teams doesn't look good. If they don't pick up some wins their claims are going to appear very hollow to the general public.

Should Cincinnati stumble to Virginia Tech and Central Florida lose to L.S.U., both of which are possible, this could be quite harmful to hopes.

If they lose both, they will finish the season with an OOC record against FBS competition of 37%. They would be 30% against P5 teams. That's not bad for a G5 conference, but it sure doesn't scream P6.
12-27-2018 05:55 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Ed Foley 0-2 in Temple bowl games.
12-27-2018 08:09 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
I just don’t understand how these great P6 schools keep getting blown out. First mighty Houston, now Temple. These are P6 schools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
12-27-2018 10:47 PM
Titans3775 Offline
All American

I Root For: Nuclear Power
Probably because they all have major deficiencies that weren't present for the majority of the season.

Before bowls:
Tulane fired their OC.
Temple lost their head coach.
Houston lost their star QB and DL.
Memphis lost their OC, DC, and star RB.
USF was never good, but ate enough cupcakes to get to 6 wins.

UCF will likely get slaughtered without Milton, but might have been a favorite with him.
Cincy is the only fully intact team (I think?).

It is the same story every year at this time. The American romps during the regular season (this was a down year for that even) and gets decimated before the bowls (although this year injuries played a bigger part). No G4 league has to deal with upward mobile coaches, coordinators, and players like the American has in its existence. The American has a terrible bowl record, but I think you will find that teams that don't have to deal with the above have a much better record during the bowl season.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018 10:45 AM by Titans3775.)
12-28-2018 10:39 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(12-28-2018 10:39 AM)Titans3775 Wrote:  Probably because they all have major deficiencies that weren't present for the majority of the season.

Before bowls:
Tulane fired their OC.

UCF will likely get slaughtered without Milton, but might have been a favorite with him.

It is the same story every year at this time. The American romps during the regular season (this was a down year for that even) and gets decimated before the bowls (although this year injuries played a bigger part). No G4 league has to deal with upward mobile coaches, coordinators, and players like the American has in its existence. The American has a terrible bowl record, but I think you will find that teams that don't have to deal with the above have a much better record during the bowl season.

I think one of most relevant "deficiencies" is actually reflective of the AAC being a non-P5 conference, with non-P5 resources, and effectively being a feeder to P5 programs. Since 2014, the AAC has seen Geoff Collins (Georgia Tech), Scott Frost (Nebraska), Willie Taggart (USF), Justin Fuente (Virginia Tech), Tom Herman (Texas), Matt Rhule (Baylor) and Chad Morris (Arkansas) to P5 programs. I would also add some young coordinator additions as well, such as Kendall Briles (Florida State), Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma), Chip Long (Notre Dame), Sterlin Gilbert (Texas), among others, to that list.

The top of the AAC will always be threatened to have long-term, sustainable, success because a P5 program can always come knocking and offering more money, better resources and newer facilities. Thankfully, a few programs - UCF, USF, Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis - are within strong recruiting areas and have showed to compete for top spots of the G5, so it is very possible to continue and build on a predecessor's success. However, all it takes is one coach to set a program back years (Diaco - UConn, Montgomery - ECU), so it is imperative that the schools make the right hire.
12-28-2018 11:11 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(12-28-2018 10:39 AM)Titans3775 Wrote:  Probably because they all have major deficiencies that weren't present for the majority of the season.

Before bowls:
Tulane fired their OC.

It is the same story every year at this time. The American romps during the regular season (this was a down year for that even) and gets decimated before the bowls (although this year injuries played a bigger part).

Sorry excuses. First, the American rarely romps during the regular season, the top teams build their reps playing each other, not many quality teams OOC.

Second, Tulane won their bowl, despite losing their OC and USF won their bowl two years ago when Taggart left. This year we had all our staff intact and got wiped out. All teams lose coordinators, coaches, and players, that's part of the musical chairs that takes place during bowl season. And injuries - yes, all teams get hit with those as well.

UCF? That backup QB played great vs Memphis, while LSU has lost two All-Americans on defense who have declared for the draft and two other CBs who are injured. They have to face UCF's passing attack without a pass rush and missing four cornerbacks. Good luck with that.

The American has struggled during bowl season because it has had to play better teams OOC than during the regular season. Hopefully, Cincy will beat VT and turn things around a little.
12-28-2018 11:14 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

Exclamation RE: Walk On's Independence Bowl: Duke vs Temple
(12-28-2018 11:14 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  ...Hopefully, Cincy will beat VT and turn things around a little.

FORGET THAT! If the AAC wants to turn it around, let UCF beat LSU.
05-nono
12-28-2018 12:57 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(12-28-2018 12:57 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(12-28-2018 11:14 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  ...Hopefully, Cincy will beat VT and turn things around a little.

FORGET THAT! If the AAC wants to turn it around, let UCF beat LSU.
05-nono

UC is looking to even up the series with Virginia Tech at six games a piece (Hokies currently lead 6-5). Crazy to think this is the 4th bowl meeting between the two schools, dating back to the 1947 Sun Bowl. We owe you guys back from the 2014 Military Bowl (thank god Tuberville is done).
12-28-2018 01:05 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU

Before bowls:
Tulane fired their OC.

Did you want cheese with that whine? P6 my derrière.

12-28-2018 02:54 PM
Titans3775 Offline
All American

I Root For: Nuclear Power
(12-28-2018 02:54 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  

Before bowls:
Tulane fired their OC.

Did you want cheese with that whine? P6 my derrière.

I understand being in the MW you wouldn't understand what the above does to a team.
12-28-2018 04:33 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.