Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CFB Playoff should expand to 12 teams just like the NFL
B easy Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
CFB Playoff should expand to 12 teams just like the NFL
I know it isn't likely because CFB likes to maintain its own identity but this would make sense. Top 4 teams get a buy. All 5 conference champs, G5 rep get in plus 6 at large.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2018 12:51 PM by B easy.)
12-31-2018 12:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
RE: CFB Playoff should expand to 12 teams just like the NFL
(12-31-2018 12:49 PM)B easy Wrote:  Top 4 teams get a buy.

What do they get to buy?

An extra offensive or defensive coordinator for a playoff run?

New uniforms and equipment?
12-31-2018 01:36 PM
B easy Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(12-31-2018 01:36 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(12-31-2018 12:49 PM)B easy Wrote:  Top 4 teams get a buy.

What do they get to buy?

An extra offensive or defensive coordinator for a playoff run?

New uniforms and equipment?

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5908525]

If the powers that be buy in to this logic the top 4 teams would receive a 1st round bye.
12-31-2018 07:49 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I'm a strong advocate of 8--give the players a break to take finals and open the quarter finals with the 4 of the NY6 bowls. The other 2 host their bowls as normal featuring the top 4 teams left out of the playoffs but then also serve as the semi final sites 7-10 days after the quarterfinals are concluded. The National Championship then gets played either the Saturday before the Pro Bowl or the Saturday before the Super Bowl.

Let the Top G5 have an autobid to either the playoff or at least one of the 2 NY6 bowls who aren't quarterfinal sites. I don't see the need for all 5 to be in a playoff bracket especially since they are likely to get steamrolled (This coming from a MAC fan).

The MWC and AAC wouldn't be interested since their champs (and often multiple top teams for the AAC) can get a bowl against a P5 but I'd like to see the MAC, C-USA, and SBC create a bowl rotation for the top 2 teams from each conference to ensure a G5 champ vs G5 champ bowl and two more quality bowls for the other 4 schools involved.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2019 12:58 PM by Fighting Muskie.)
01-01-2019 12:56 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Let the Top G5 have an autobid to either the playoff or at least one of the 2 NY6 bowls who aren't quarterfinal sites.

Problem with this, is that the NY bowls are going to be on the level of the Outback Bowl if there's a bigger playoff of any size 8 or more. Which is better than any G5 gets outside the current NY/BCS bowl, sure. So for the G5 it's still something. For the P5, you have teams missing out in the spotlight, since the Playoff will cover 8 at the most, 7 half the time... instead of 11 every year.

Giving a G5 a 100% Unconditional autobid for a mere 8-team playoff won't fly. They wouldn't give the G4/G5 an auto-bid when there were 10 teams, it took upping it to 12 (albeit with a more diverse G-level). And that was to (mere) Bowls, which are more forgiving than Playoffs.

That's why I say aside from a Really High Ranking, there will be (or should be) No Unconditional auto-bids. Just conditional if ranked at #x or better if you're a Conf Champ (P5 or G5), and a limit on how many conf champs get a conditional auto-bid (6?).
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2019 05:25 PM by toddjnsn.)
01-01-2019 05:23 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
No thanks.
01-01-2019 05:27 PM
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
Should go back to the BCS.
01-02-2019 12:18 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(01-02-2019 12:18 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  Should go back to the BCS.

Completely agree.

If a decision is made to do anything with the playoffs, it should either be keep the status quo or go back to the BCS.

Teams that PROVE they belong by taking care of their business in the regular season should play for the championship.

Expanding the playoff is nothing more than giving everyone a trophy.
01-02-2019 07:42 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-02-2019 07:42 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  Expanding the playoff is nothing more than giving everyone a trophy.

If you want to give everyone a trophy why not expand to a NY8 for the next contract and give all 10 conferences a spot?

A consolation prize for everyone if you will.

07-coffee3
01-02-2019 09:44 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
How is 8 teams playing for one trophy giving everyone a trophy?
01-02-2019 09:51 AM
rodtheman Offline
2nd String

I Root For: *E*C*U*
reduce scholarships to 75.
12 or 16 team playoff. All 11 conference champs, and the balance at large. no more than 2 from a single conference.
As for the extra games, that will really only affect 2 teams out of 120+.
01-02-2019 10:01 AM
Advertisement

BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(01-02-2019 09:51 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  How is 8 teams playing for one trophy giving everyone a trophy?

When I think "excellence" I don't think Top 8.

RARELY (if ever) are there 8 truly excellent teams worthy and capable of winning it all.

This year was a perfect example, two excellent teams, one pretty good team, and the wash.

You're saying "hey, I know you lost a couple of games and didn't take care of your business in the regular season, but here's a a ticket to the playoffs".

I don't want a situation where a freak injury, call, or play allows a 3 loss Washington to beat Clemson on a fluke.
01-02-2019 10:29 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

The talent level is basically even for the P5 programs in the top 10.

Who is to say OSU isn't the hottest team in the country right now despite dropping that game to Purdue. Recruiting would say they are more than capable of taking out both Alabama and Clemson.

When you start getting to the lower half of the Top 25, the Syracuse and WVU level with 3 losses and considerably less talent they don't belong there.

That is why I think 8 is fine and with no autobids so we don't have upsets in P5 title games putting Top 20 teams into the playoff. That would be a waste of time. Putting in an undefeated Boise State team in a year they are ranked #5 and really dominant is a better use of a playoff spot.
01-02-2019 10:54 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(01-02-2019 10:29 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(01-02-2019 09:51 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  How is 8 teams playing for one trophy giving everyone a trophy?

When I think "excellence" I don't think Top 8.

RARELY (if ever) are there 8 truly excellent teams worthy and capable of winning it all.

This year was a perfect example, two excellent teams, one pretty good team, and the wash.

You're saying "hey, I know you lost a couple of games and didn't take care of your business in the regular season, but here's a a ticket to the playoffs".

I don't want a situation where a freak injury, call, or play allows a 3 loss Washington to beat Clemson on a fluke.

A freak injury, call, or play, can also cost you a game in the regular season that keeps you from being in the top 4.

Also, if you didn't "take care of business" and had one loss, and another team didn't "take care of business" and had one loss, you don't have enough info to determine which team should get in. They didn't play each other, probably don't have any common opponents. You're just guessing.
01-02-2019 11:07 AM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization
(01-02-2019 07:42 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  Expanding the playoff is nothing more than giving everyone a trophy.

The Bowls are "giving everyone a trophy".

A 4 team invitational is neither a National Championship, nor a playoff.

Does anyone doubt that the Super Bowl winner is the true Champion of the NFL? They don't because that is a real, inclusive playoff that decides it's participants on the field, not in a boardroom. There are only 2 ways forward here.

1) Drop the charade and go back to pre-BCS Bowl system.

2) Have a real, inclusive playoff system. The NCAA FBS is not the same as the NFL, but an inclusive playoff is very doable in the same manner as the basketball tourney with college basketball's playoffs nothing like the NBA playoffs.

RULES

-- All 10 conference champions get bid
-- Next 14 highest ranked schools get bid (used final regular season AP poll)
-- Highest 8 seeds get first round bye
-- Seeds 9-24 begin First round action at higher seed's home field on 3rd week of December
-- Sweet 16 would play on 4th week at higher seed's home field
-- Elite 8 would be 1st week of January. This would begin use of "CFP" bowls
-- Final 4 next week at 2 other "CFP" bowls
-- National Championship next week at a "CFP" bowl

FIRST-ROUND

#24 NORTHERN ILLINOIS at #9 WASHINGTON
#23 UAB at #10 FLORIDA
#22 APPALACHIAN STATE at #11 LSU
#21 TEXAS A &M at #12 WASHINGTON STATE
#20 UTAH at #13 PENN ST
#19 FRESNO STATE at #14 TEXAS
#18 MISSISSIPPI ST at #15 WEST VIRGINIA
#17 SYRACUSE at #16 KENTUCKY

SWEET 16

(Syracuse/Kentucky winner) at #1 ALABAMA
(Miss St/West Virginia winner) at #2 CLEMSON
(Fresno State/Texas winner) at #3 NOTRE DAME
(Utah/Penn St winner) at #4 OKLAHOMA
(TAMU/Washington St winner) at #5 OHIO STATE
(App St/LSU winner) at #6 GEORGIA
(UAB/Florida winner) at #7 UCF
(NIU/Washington winner) at #8 MICHIGAN

ELITE 8
Cotton/Fiesta/Peach/Citrus

FINAL 4
Rose/Orange

CHAMPIONSHIP
Sugar
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2019 11:47 AM by CAJUNNATION.)
01-02-2019 11:40 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(01-02-2019 10:01 AM)rodtheman Wrote:  reduce scholarships to 75.
12 or 16 team playoff. All 11 conference champs, and the balance at large. no more than 2 from a single conference.
As for the extra games, that will really only affect 2 teams out of 120+.

So? When did MVFC became the 11th conference in FBS? I know they are ranked ahead of MAC, C-USA and SBC in strength by computers.COGS
01-02-2019 12:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:Teams that PROVE they belong by taking care of their business in the regular season should play for the championship.

Then you should be even MADDER at the NFL. PISSED. They play WAY WAY more games vs # of teams existing in the league than does CFB. What's up with these wild card games? Divisional winner trophies automatically making it in?! Just have the #1 Ranked AFC play the #1 Ranked NFC for the Super Bowl. Cut to it!

Quote:The Bowls are "giving everyone a trophy".

I agree. Even old-school bowls where there were far fewer ones. That and Conf Championships.

If you want the closest to a 1 Trophy scenario, you go for the most fruitful Playoff For that 1 Trophy. Not being ranked #1 in the AP Poll like yesteryear + have other teams playing in bowls for bowl trophies.

Quote:A 4 team invitational is neither a National Championship, nor a playoff.

Well, it is for the National Championship Crown -- and is a playoff. I wouldn't call it playoffS, but just the top 2 bowl winners Continuing to play in a post-bowl Nat Champ game. But I would agree a more fitting name would be the usage of your term where I'd call it "4 Team Invitational for the National Championship".

Quote:-- All 10 conference champions get bid
-- Next 14 highest ranked schools get bid (used final regular season AP poll)

A 24-team playoff isn't going to fly. Not just because of CFB being stuck in tradition too much -- which should be seriously considered -- but also the push to prevent more games played (injury) + it bleeding into NFL Playoffs and horning in on them, too. In other words, it's not worth Seriously Considering at all beyond hypotheticals.

Also, unlike the NFL and pro-sports, the teams aren't all on equal footing. Nor are they like basketball where you can play more games in a short span of time, less travel, etc etc., where CBB can do the Field of 68.

One could consider a 16-team playoff where you bring in all Conf Champs, but still -- not going to fly with any next-Playoff adjustments, nor any time relatively soon after that at all. Far Future talk there.

One could consider a 12-team playoff -- the # of teams in BCS/NY Bowls -- but giving the Top 4 a bye instead, and having it like, any Conf Champ ranked in Top 25 gets an auto-bid. 2 G5 Champs would enter into it frequently. This IMO, would be the next step beyond the 8-team playoff. If the 8-team playoff idea doesn't stick, and it's the middle of the next decade, they could maybe go with this instead. Depends on how the FBS conferences play out, etc.

For any time in the somewhat near future if contracts can be changed, etc., an 8-team playoff would be the Far Far most likely. The P5 heads are liking the idea that they greatly increase their chance of their Conf Champs getting in (no extra SEC team or Notre Dame worsening their chances). It wouldn't be the Most Ideal Playoff -- which IMO, would be the 12-team Playoff. But the 8-team playoff would cover the bases the most. If you won a Conference and are ranked in the top half of the Top 25, you pretty much get in.

I like the 12-team Playoff idea the best because, again, we do live in an environment where not all conferences on are equal footing -- and are in an arguable situation for official division separation between P5 & G5. And with 130 teams altogether. Which is why if you're not even ranked but are a Conf Champ -- you have little say that you deserve a shot at a 12-team Playoff in an imbalanced league of 130 teams.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2019 05:07 PM by toddjnsn.)
01-02-2019 05:03 PM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization
(01-02-2019 05:03 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  ....-- you have little say that you deserve a shot...

This right here.

This is such BS.

Can you imagine the S-show if the Basketball Committee decided all bids? Why doesn't the NFL use selection committees?

The reason these 2 playoffs are the most popular in the world is because they are INCLUSIVE.
01-02-2019 05:26 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:Can you imagine the S-show if the Basketball Committee decided all bids?

I think they would if they reduced the # of the teams in the Tourney really low.

Quote:Why doesn't the NFL use selection committees?

Because there's not that many NFL teams VS # of playoff spots. Simple. NFL's on equal footing within -- so they can do the # of division winners + a couple wild-cards.

In NCAA Basketball, they couldn't do this with JUST over the # of Conferences as seeds. THAT would be a sh!t-show if you gave every conference a bid. NCAA Basketball is Not on equal footing within, which is why you have 64-68 teams in it to cover that. Plus, in Basketball, you can pump out tons of games at less 'expense' to everyone.

Quote:The reason these 2 playoffs are the most popular in the world is because they are INCLUSIVE.

You would need the # of seeds to cover all the conferences for that to happen, and then some to make that be so popular. Most likely a couple more even if the teams are on equal footing (NFL/pros). A LOT more if they're not on equal footing and quite lopsided like P5 & G5, as found in CFB and CBB.

My "BS" was based on a 12-team playoff. IMO, you'd need 16 teams to get all Conf Champs, even no-votes-to-be-ranked ones, getting in. 12? IMO, still too small. If there was a P4/G4, then I could see that. That'd allow 4 at-larges. But with P5/G5, and almost always there being more unranked teams than # of at-larges for a mere 12-team playoff -- it runs into a wall. The P5 heads will NOT go for it. :)
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2019 05:47 PM by toddjnsn.)
01-02-2019 05:45 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU

If anything, the current bowl system gives half the teams trophies. By separating the playoff from the bowls, you reduce the percentage of teams getting trophies.

(though I always liked the Orange Bowl and their trophies brimming with oranges. do the offensive and defensive MVPs have to pay for their oranges or is this an eligibility issue?)
01-02-2019 05:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.