Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CFB Playoff should expand to 32 teams just like the World Cup
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Hey, why not? Bigger is better, right?

FIFA is embracing bigger is better too; in 2026 the World Cup will have 48 teams.

FIFA has 211 members, but only 79 have ever competed in the World Cup tournament. CFB has 130, and only 65 have a realistic shot at a title so it's a similar situation.

Brazil = Texas (an all-time great, but hasn't won since 2002)
Oregon = Croatia (barely got any attention before 2000, but was runner up this year)
Louisville = South Africa (bribery scandal)
Rice = Scotland (used to be good but sucks nowadays)
Montana State = US Virgin Islands (no chance of ever making it)

Get it done.
01-02-2019 09:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
It would ruin regular season, travel nightmare for fans, and isn’t going to happen ever. You have a better chance if walking on Jupiter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
01-02-2019 09:39 PM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
RE: CFB Playoff should expand to 32 teams just like the World Cup
(01-02-2019 09:10 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Hey, why not? Bigger is better, right?

FIFA is embracing bigger is better too; in 2026 the World Cup will have 48 teams.

FIFA has 211 members, but only 79 have ever competed in the World Cup tournament. CFB has 130, and only 65 have a realistic shot at a title so it's a similar situation.

Oregon = Croatia (barely got any attention before 2000, but was runner up this year)

Get it done.
World Cup is ever four years with qualifying over 31 months.
Plus, those guys still get paid.

Hard pass by me
01-02-2019 09:46 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline

(01-02-2019 09:39 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  It would ruin regular season, travel nightmare for fans, and isn’t going to happen ever. You have a better chance if walking on Jupiter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If 4 is better than 2, and 8 is better than 4, and now there's other message board rumors claiming 12 is better than 8, then why not 32?

You know it's the "inevitable outcome."
01-02-2019 11:25 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(01-02-2019 09:10 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Hey, why not? Bigger is better, right?

Get it done.

Why not just have an 128 team tournament?
01-02-2019 11:40 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(01-02-2019 09:39 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  It would ruin regular season, travel nightmare for fans, and isn’t going to happen ever. You have a better chance if walking on Jupiter.

So there is a three round group stage among four teams to seed into the 16 team knockout tournament.

Let's work this out backwards ... NCG one week after Semis, one weeks after Quarters, one week after Round of 16, two weeks (for logistics) after Group Stage Round 3, one week after Group Stage round 2, one week after Group Stage round 1, two weeks (for logistics) after CCG.

That is NCG about 9 weeks after CCG.

Seems like it would have to trim four weeks from the regular season, so go to an 8 week regular season.

Yeah, right, no problems foreseeable with that at all. Go for it.
01-03-2019 01:46 AM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline

(01-02-2019 11:40 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  

Get it done.

Why not just have an 128 team tournament?

Even better! Go for it! Think of all the extra commercials ESPN can sell!
01-03-2019 04:28 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
That's the ticket. Let's just do away with the regular season entirely.

The Group Stage consists of 16 groups of 8 schools each, who play a round robin in Weeks 1-8 with everyone having a bye week. The top two teams in every group advance to the knockout round starting in Week 10.

Week 10 Round of 32
Week 11 Round of 16
Week 12 Quarterfinals
Week 13 Semifinals
Week 14 National Championship

There is one other small change I would recommend. Let's replace that funny shaped oblate spheroid with a round ball, and prohibit the use of the hands except by the Goalkeeper.

What red-blooded American wouldn't be 100% for this?
01-03-2019 08:58 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
This could be a godsend to all of the FBS athletic departments that run huge annual deficits!

Just do it like FIFA -- call every conference a "confederation", give each one a vote on which country will host the expanded playoff tournament, then sit back and wait for the bribes and kickbacks to roll in! Pretty soon those little athletic debts will be a distant memory, thanks to Qatari oil sheiks, Russian oligarchs, and assorted other robber barons eager to host this playoff!

07-coffee3
01-03-2019 11:06 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
It's a horrible idea for many reasons.

It's a catastrophe for fans. It's a catastrophe for the season. It's just not a good idea.
01-03-2019 11:11 AM
Eldonabe Online
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn

Get it done.

Ummmm..... NO
01-03-2019 12:59 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Brian Murphy
‏@murphsturph
Following Following @murphsturph
More Brian Murphy Retweeted Dan Wolken
Working theory: College football is a regional sport (with pockets of intense interest around the nation) that fans/media/TV execs treated like a national sport when creating the playoff.

Im starting to come to the conclusion this might be why the CFP isnt really capturing the public attention like it should. Not only has it been too much "same ole' same ole"---it has left out too many area's of the country.

Yet another reason why the 5-1-2 (5 P5 champs, top G5 champ, and 2 wildcards for the 2 highest raked teams from the committee not automatically included) is the best thing for the CFP. That wider system effectively engages every part of the country and provides every fan some sort of a rooting interest. Its effectively the same way the NCAA tournament grabs the entire nations attention every March.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2019 01:51 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-03-2019 01:44 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
I'm just amazed at the people who missed the sarcasm of this post and instead took it seriously.
01-03-2019 01:55 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
No.

Actually let me rephrase that: Hell no, not now not ever.

The basic problem 30-40% of P5 schools are not very good, and 90% of G5 are not very good. Even when NFL 1st and 2nd round talent, and organizational resources are more evenly distributed among the P5 than today, you are still talking about at most 10 teams with any shot at winning. Look now at the top 25. There are about ten 4 and 5 loss teams there. You cannot make any argument a 4 or 5 loss team belongs in a playoff.

8 is as far as you can go, as you get 5 P5 conference champs and the best runner ups or an undefeated or one loss Independent. This year you'd have roped in tOSU a 1 loss B1G champ, UW the P12 champ (3 losses, right at the margin), and 2 loss Georgia and Michigan teams. The last three I mentioned showed they were not up to it (as did ND), but that is what 8 gets you.

When you go to 16 you get UCF, Kentucky, Penn State, LSU, WSU, Florida, Texas and WSU. None of those really deserve a shot. When you go to 24 you now add the likes of Fresno State, Northwestern, Mississippi State, Utah, West Virginia, Syracuse, Iowa State, and somebody else. That is a lot of dreck here. Got to 32 and you have some 6 loss schools in there

Here is a simple rule of thumb. Is a playoff game more enticing than a P5 conference game? Virtually every match up past 8 teams in a playoff the answer is hell no. Because what you are talking about is one less SEC game, one less B1G game, one less ACC game, one less B12 and one less P12 game. Most Bowl games, when get past about the 7th (Citrus; PSU vs Kentucky had equal value) are not as compelling as the P5 game. And even then a few were duds (Fiesta definitely had little compelling interest, and UCF's fan base was exposed as decidedly non-P5, didn't travel). Based on that also 8 is probably your limit.
01-03-2019 02:09 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Bowl games are not as compelling because you are only playing for a trophy, not a national championship.
01-03-2019 02:53 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
So, after an exhibition game and the 8-game regular season, the CFP committee selects eight 4-team Groups, one team from each tier (tier 1 = #1-8, tier 2 = #9-16; tier 3 = #17-24; tier 4 = #25-32). Although the committee does consider proximity of Group members, they avoid same-conference grouping as much as possible.

Tier 1 teams host Tier 2 and 3 teams, travel to Tier 4; Tier 2 hosts Tier 3 and 4, travels to Tier 1; Tier 3 hosts Tier 4, travels to Tier 1 and 2; Tier 4 hosts Tier 1, travels to Tier 2 and 3. Group Stage held November 10-24.

GROUP A
(1)Alabama
(2)West Virginia
(3)Syracuse
(4)Oregon

GROUP B
(1)Clemson
(2)Kentucky
(3)Utah
(4)Iowa

GROUP C
(1)Notre Dame
(2)Texas
(3)Texas A&M
(4)Cincinnati

GROUP D
(1)Georgia
(2)Washington St.
(3)Boise St.
(4)NC State

GROUP E
(1)Oklahoma
(2)Penn St.
(3)Mississippi St.
(4)Stanford

GROUP F
(1)Ohio St.
(2)Washington
(3)Missouri
(4)Utah St.

GROUP G
(1)Michigan
(2)LSU
(3)Iowa St.
(4)Army

GROUP H
(1)UCF
(2)Florida
(3)Northwestern
(4)Fresno St.

The top 2 from each Group advance to the 16-team knock-out tournament. Group A #1 hosts Group H #2; Group H #1 hosts Group A #2. Group B #1 hosts Group G #2; Group G #1 hosts Group B #2. And so forth. Round 1 held the first weekend of December. Winners advance.

Round 2 (quarterfinals) held the weekend before Christmas. Winners advance.

Round 3 (semifinals) held at NY6 bowl venues on January 1 or the last Saturday of December.

Round 4 (national championship) held at pre-determined neutral-site venue the first Monday that is at least a week after the semifinals.

The national championship contenders play 8 regular-season games, 3 Group-stage games, and 4 tournament games. 15 games total.

The rest of FBS is separated into three other 32-team NIT tournaments, which advance to various pre-determined bowl games using Group-stage and tournament games, similar to the CFP. The NIT tournaments are based on conference affiliation with the Group-makeup focused on geography and travel.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2019 04:32 PM by YNot.)
01-03-2019 04:30 PM
Advertisement

Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
Sixteen is the eventual and logical number.
01-03-2019 04:52 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
32 is way too big. So is is 16 and arguably 12 well. 8 is the way to go and the popular 5-1-2 model that has been put forth on this board is the ideal way to go.
01-03-2019 05:48 PM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
No
01-03-2019 05:53 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(01-03-2019 02:09 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  No.

Actually let me rephrase that: Hell no, not now not ever.

The basic problem 30-40% of P5 schools are not very good, and 90% of G5 are not very good. Even when NFL 1st and 2nd round talent, and organizational resources are more evenly distributed among the P5 than today, you are still talking about at most 10 teams with any shot at winning. Look now at the top 25. There are about ten 4 and 5 loss teams there. You cannot make any argument a 4 or 5 loss team belongs in a playoff.

8 is as far as you can go, as you get 5 P5 conference champs and the best runner ups or an undefeated or one loss Independent. This year you'd have roped in tOSU a 1 loss B1G champ, UW the P12 champ (3 losses, right at the margin), and 2 loss Georgia and Michigan teams. The last three I mentioned showed they were not up to it (as did ND), but that is what 8 gets you.

When you go to 16 you get UCF, Kentucky, Penn State, LSU, WSU, Florida, Texas and WSU. None of those really deserve a shot. When you go to 24 you now add the likes of Fresno State, Northwestern, Mississippi State, Utah, West Virginia, Syracuse, Iowa State, and somebody else. That is a lot of dreck here. Got to 32 and you have some 6 loss schools in there

Here is a simple rule of thumb. Is a playoff game more enticing than a P5 conference game? Virtually every match up past 8 teams in a playoff the answer is hell no. Because what you are talking about is one less SEC game, one less B1G game, one less ACC game, one less B12 and one less P12 game. Most Bowl games, when get past about the 7th (Citrus; PSU vs Kentucky had equal value) are not as compelling as the P5 game. And even then a few were duds (Fiesta definitely had little compelling interest, and UCF's fan base was exposed as decidedly non-P5, didn't travel). Based on that also 8 is probably your limit.

Keep in mind---that first round game has got to be played on the home campus of the higher ranked team of each pairing. We are seeing there is a limit to haw many times and much a fan base will pay to travel in large numbers. I agree with you---I think 8 is about as big as you can go with a 12 game regular season (plus CCG's).
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2019 09:19 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-03-2019 09:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.