Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: How do you like your 8 team playoff?
This poll is closed.
Straight 8 with no autobids. 17.14% 6 17.14%
Top 6 Conference Champs. 17.14% 6 17.14%
P5 autobids and 3 at-larges. 2.86% 1 2.86%
The 5+1+2 model. 42.86% 15 42.86%
Champ autobids with Top 16 ranking. 14.29% 5 14.29%
Straight 8 with G5 autobid. 5.71% 2 5.71%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How do you like your 8 team playoff?
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
How do you like your 8 team playoff?
Listed different options thrown about on the board for 8 teams.

If a better idea (like stick with 4 teams) you can discuss that in the thread.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2019 11:15 AM by Kittonhead.)
01-16-2019 10:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
RE: How do you like your 8 team playoff?
Medium well.
01-16-2019 10:51 AM
Phlipper33 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Texas A&M
I don't. I'd prefer the NCAA actually hold a playoff like they do for every other sport they have, and every other level of football. The idea of the CFP expanding to 8 doesn't really do anything for me, I want a legit playoff.

Treat the bowl games like the NIT, except they aren't a tournament, it's just one-off games.

NCAA then sponsors a (minimum) 16 game playoff. All conference champs get auto-bids, just like in every other sport.

First round games on campus, or location of higher seeds choosing (for example, if TCU/SMU were hosting, the game could be at Jerry World). Remaining games played at existing NY6 bowl sites, or other large stadiums on rotating basis.

Finally, allow practice time for all schools after regular season ends, not just those schools going into playoff or bowl games.
01-16-2019 11:06 AM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
Exclamation RE: How do you like your 8 team playoff?
It should be the 5 P5 Champs + highest ranked G5 team + 2 wild card teams, which is the best option for now.

This satisfies all the P5 conferences; addresses the G5 access and preserves Notre Dames independent status by allowing it to be elected as a wild card when merited.
01-16-2019 11:50 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
For the regular season, I do not want to see autobids but they are coming if we go to 8. You'll never get agreement without that.

Big thing to me would not making stricting seeded 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc. Use the bowls. Lock the champs in bowls and fill in the open spots as best you can from there. Only provison would be if 2 teams tied to bowl (Rose Bowl and maybe Sugar if they keep both conferences) and both in top 3 or bottom 3 in the 8 then bottom one gets moved out. This at least would restore something traditional while you are otherwise making a big change to make college football like everyone else.

Beyond that, I would probably guarentee top group of 5 team if in top 12 and top independent if they are in top 8 (rarely necessary, but since can't earn way in lower like everyone else, also can't be pushed out). Final 4 would be at one central site.
01-16-2019 01:30 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
You either rank them or you don't. Autobids are just attempts by fans to increase the shot their favored team makes it.
01-16-2019 02:08 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I voted for the 5-1-2 Plan but I think the top 6 champs plus 2 at larges would function in much the same way.

In another thread I retroactively created a 5-1-2 playoff for every season back to 2004 with some interesting results. The top 5 all made it into the playoff each year and in all but a few years so did #6. The G5 champ was only the 8th seeded team about half the time.
01-16-2019 06:21 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
If the participants aren't the top 8 teams then the playoff is a sham. If that means all eight teams are members of the same conference then so be it.
01-16-2019 06:29 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
I prefer the 90s era bowl system with the bowl alliance and the Rose Bowl. Second best is the 80s era bowl system where there's still a lot of bowls, but no national championship game.

I never watched CFB growing up, but I think it's a better system that serves the universities better than having a definitive national championship.
01-16-2019 06:29 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

(01-16-2019 06:29 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  If the participants aren't the top 8 teams then the playoff is a sham. If that means all eight teams are members of the same conference then so be it.

Funny you take that stance when for much of the period from 2004-2012 the ACC would be nowhere near the top 8--in fact just twice and once as the #8 team.

Autobids keep the peace between the P conferences and also ensure we have some geographic diversity in the field which is good for ratings.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2019 08:35 PM by Fighting Muskie.)
01-16-2019 06:54 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

An easy solution to maintain the tradition of the bowls but also do a 5-1-2 is to have the NY6 bowls serve as quarter final sites. Seeds 1-4 would get to pick one of the 6 bowls to play in, either choosing their conference's traditional tie in or the closest available one to them.

An SEC team in the top 4 might choose the Sugar or Peach to play in.

A PAC 12 school would obviously want the Rose Bowl but if there were ever a 2nd PAC 12 team in the Top 4 the second team could choose the Fiesta.

A Big 12 team would likely opt for the Cotton Bowl while the Peach or Orange would be a favored site for an ACC Champ.

The Big Ten likely sticks with tradition and travels to Pasedena since they have no NY6 bowl in their footprint.
01-16-2019 07:13 PM
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:It should be the 5 P5 Champs + highest ranked G5 team + 2 wild card teams, which is the best option for now.

It's a PLAYOFF -- not bowls. When there's only 8 teams -- lesser than the amt of conferences, you can't go by Conf Champs as any no-matter-what auto-bid.

What if the 2nd-best G5 Conf Champ is ranked higher than the lowest P5 Champ due to an upset? You'll have a sh!t-show if that #18 P5 Champ gets in, while the 2nd best G5 Champ at #16 is snubbed. "Whoops! We didn't think about that!" they'd say. :) When's the last time that happened? Less than 10 years ago, and pretty brutally, too.

Bowls are for Conference Representation -- and fandom. They don't go by ranking, although that plays a part of it for at-larges. Playoffs are different. It's the other way around. Conf Champ plays a role for at-larges, instead.

I agree that Conf Championship Winner should give you an edge over one who is not. Again, we're only talking about 8 teams. With only 4 teams, Conf Champ doesn't play any role in it -- pure rank. You can't just flip the script when you still have less slots than there are conferences for a Playoff (not a 1-time bowl). Just being realistic here.

Instead, you should have UP TO the Top 6 Conf Champs as (conditional) auto-bids, assuming they hit #x in the ranking. #13 sounds about right (just over 50% extra than # of slots).
01-16-2019 07:33 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

None of the P5 are going to go for an expanded playoff that could leave them left out. Truthfully, we either need to go to a P4 and a 4-team tournament of champions (that means that if you want to participate Texas and Notre Dame you need to be in a P4 conference) or, if we continue to have the P5, an 8-team playoff.
01-16-2019 08:04 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:None of the P5 are going to go for an expanded playoff that could leave them left out.

I disagree. Again, the pundits & fans, who control everything & are stronger, are not going to put up with a #2 G5 Champ who's ranked higher than a P5 Champ, from getting in. And yes, it has happened less than 10 years ago.

It's a Playoff for the National Championship. Not a bowl.
01-16-2019 08:07 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

(01-16-2019 08:07 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:None of the P5 are going to go for an expanded playoff that could leave them left out.

I disagree. Again, the pundits & fans, who control everything & are stronger, are not going to put up with a #2 G5 Champ who's ranked higher than a P5 Champ, from getting in. And yes, it has happened less than 10 years ago.

The conferences hold more power than you think. The season you are referring to was a fluke year and only happened because Boise had not yet gotten their promotion from WAC to MWC yet and both they and TCU had great years. Put them in the same conference and one delivers a loss to the other.

For the situation you are describing to happen again we'd need two G5s to go undefeated and have P5 wins and a really crappy P5 winner. In this landscape it's not probable and even if it did occur a small group of people would be in a fuss and the matter would soon be forgotten. The P5s Drive the bus and the conferences that want to see an 8 team playoff (PAC 12, Big Ten, Big 12) are going to want an automatic berth.

For ACC folks out there who think they are safe because they've never been left out of the playoff let me remind you that from 2004-2012 you would have had a grand total of 1 berth to the 4 team playoff (#3 VT 2007). You need an 8 team playoff too.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2019 08:21 PM by Fighting Muskie.)
01-16-2019 08:19 PM
Kaplony Offline

(01-16-2019 06:54 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(01-16-2019 06:29 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  If the participants aren't the top 8 teams then the playoff is a sham. If that means all eight teams are members of the same conference then so be it.

Funny you take that stance when for much of the period from 2004-2015 the ACC would be nowhere near the top 8--in fact just twice and once as the #8 team.

Autobids keep the peace between the P conferences and also ensure we have some geographic diversity in the field which is good for ratings.

I imagine to someone who is self-serving it does seem funny. Doesn't mean that it isn't the truth. If the eight teams in the playoff aren't the eight best teams then the playoff is a sham.
01-16-2019 08:20 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline

(01-16-2019 08:19 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

The conferences hold more power than you think. The season you are referring to was a fluke year and only happened because Boise had not yet gotten their promotion from WAC to MWC yet and both they and TCU had great years. Put them in the same conference and one delivers a loss to the other.

For the situation you are describing to happen again we'd need two G5s to go undefeated and have P5 wins and a really crappy P5 winner. In this landscape it's not probable and even if it did occur a small group of people would be in a fuss and the matter would soon be forgotten. The P5s Drive the bus and the conferences that want to see an 8 team playoff (PAC 12, Big Ten, Big 12) are going to want an automatic berth.

For ACC folks out there who think they are safe because they've never been left out of the playoff let me remind you that from 2004-2012 you would have had a grand total of 1 berth to the 4 team playoff (#3 VT 2007). You need an 8 team playoff too.

If we are left out then so be it. If we don't have a team that's one of the eight best we don't deserve a bid.

But don;t worry.....the media lapdogs will prop the Big Slow up enough to where you will not get left out of an eight team playoff. Most likely you'll have the same results as the last two times you made it, but there will be a Big Slow team in.
01-16-2019 08:23 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:The conferences hold more power than you think. The season you are referring to was a fluke year and only happened because Boise had not yet gotten their promotion from WAC to MWC yet and both they and TCU had great years.

It had nothing to do with promotion. Boise had a tough OOC schedule. Boise was better under that HC. And TCU was great. Oh, and Cinci (but they were part of P6 then) was up there. And that wasn't the only year. I'm not counting a closer year which was ACTUALLY a fluke (Ohio State banned from any post-season), where unranked and still unranked Wisconsin beat #12 Nebraska for the B1G Champ.

As soon as you say "But we're P5!" when their Champ, ranked LOWER than 2 G5 Champs and also not even Top 13, can't get into an 8-team playoff -- and you want a higher-ranked #2 G5 CHAMP to Not be in -- you're just CLEARLY making it UNFAIR for a Playoff. Blatantly. No other sport would even think of it. You're instead just making the case to Separate G5 & P5.

And if it is such a fluke -- great! Deal with it! It's just a fluke. This is a Playoff, not an Attention-Bowl. You have to earn it. Not just by being in a Conference. Hence, it exists today, where even 2 P5 Champs can't get into a 4-team PLAYOFF (again, not mere bowl).
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2019 08:26 PM by toddjnsn.)
01-16-2019 08:24 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

(01-16-2019 08:23 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

If we are left out then so be it. If we don't have a team that's one of the eight best we don't deserve a bid.

But don;t worry.....the media lapdogs will prop the Big Slow up enough to where you will not get left out of an eight team playoff. Most likely you'll have the same results as the last two times you made it, but there will be a Big Slow team in.

Dude, your team and your conference have sucked for more than a decade until a few years ago. Even the past few years your league is a one hit wonder. It's easy to be good when the next best team in your league is a 3 loss Syracuse. In the Big Ten and SEC he have this thing we call depth--it means we have lots of good teams. The FSU and Clemson teams of late are nothing more than glorified Boise St's running through a conference schedule of weaklings.

Demanding a top 8 and declaring everything else a sham shows that you have no understanding of how the politics and money of college football work. You need buy in from all of the big leagues, which as an FYI, winning one of them actually means something.
01-16-2019 08:33 PM
Kaplony Offline

(01-16-2019 08:33 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(01-16-2019 08:23 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Dude, your team and your conference have sucked for more than a decade until a few years ago. Even the past few years your league is a one hit wonder. It's easy to be good when the next best team in your league is a 3 loss Syracuse. In the Big Ten and SEC he have this thing we call depth--it means we have lots of good teams. The FSU and Clemson teams of late are nothing more than glorified Boise St's running through a conference schedule of weaklings.

Demanding a top 8 and declaring everything else a sham shows that you have no understanding of how the politics and money of college football work. You need buy in from all of the big leagues, which as an FYI, winning one of them actually means something.

03-lmfao03-lmfao

How'd that "depth" help Michigan State or O31-0 State a couple years ago?
01-16-2019 08:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.