Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNC/Wake Non-Conference Series
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
UNC/Wake Non-Conference Series
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2019 12:17 AM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
01-17-2019 09:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: UNC to host Wake in out of conference game
I really dont see this as a big deal. 2 schools want to play, let them play
01-17-2019 09:19 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(01-17-2019 09:19 PM)solohawks Wrote:  I really dont see this as a big deal. 2 schools want to play, let them play

It’s great. 2 traditional rivals making the best out of a poorly managed divisional alignment.
01-17-2019 09:20 PM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
If the ACC ever goes to 16 they need to split the divisions into ACC 8 and Big East 8. It would accommodate games like this in league play
01-17-2019 09:27 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Dump the zipper. It's just one big compromise that really doesn't do a lot for anyone. FSU and the 7 remaining founders in one division and all the members added since 2004 in the other. If WVU and ND are 15 and 16 then I think it's a pretty even set up. VA schools and FL schools are the only protected crossovers needed.
01-17-2019 09:45 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(01-17-2019 09:45 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Dump the zipper. It's just one big compromise that really doesn't do a lot for anyone. FSU and the 7 remaining founders in one division and all the members added since 2004 in the other. If WVU and ND are 15 and 16 then I think it's a pretty even set up. VA schools and FL schools are the only protected crossovers needed.

Would you keep it at 8 conference games? If so, each of the VA and FL schools can't play anyone else in the opposite division besides their protected crossover (in conference play, anyway).
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2019 10:05 PM by Nerdlinger.)
01-17-2019 10:04 PM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
I would allow the conferences to go without divisions, much like the old Southern Conference and then SEC. Schedule the teams that make the most money and provide the largest attendance. It's really quite simple. No need to force things in rotating formation, follow the greenbacks and fan interest.
01-17-2019 11:07 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(01-17-2019 11:07 PM)esayem Wrote:  I would allow the conferences to go without divisions, much like the old Southern Conference and then SEC. Schedule the teams that make the most money and provide the largest attendance. It's really quite simple. No need to force things in rotating formation, follow the greenbacks and fan interest.

I don't disagree with this line of thinking. It worked well for decades. As I said in another post we even played the conference teams we didn't always play in bowl games.

And if you want to put another conference foe on your schedule as an OOC P game then so be it. It makes more sense than playing a PAC team in your season opener on the West coast, or them playing you on the East coast.
01-17-2019 11:23 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(01-17-2019 11:23 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-17-2019 11:07 PM)esayem Wrote:  I would allow the conferences to go without divisions, much like the old Southern Conference and then SEC. Schedule the teams that make the most money and provide the largest attendance. It's really quite simple. No need to force things in rotating formation, follow the greenbacks and fan interest.

I don't disagree with this line of thinking. It worked well for decades. As I said in another post we even played the conference teams we didn't always play in bowl games.

And if you want to put another conference foe on your schedule as an OOC P game then so be it. It makes more sense than playing a PAC team in your season opener on the West coast, or them playing you on the East coast.

Ugh, tell me about it. No reason to ever play Cal again unless it's a magical Rose Bowl season.
01-17-2019 11:52 PM
leofrog Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(01-17-2019 09:12 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

This was announced 3-4 years ago, so this isn’t new.
01-17-2019 11:56 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
RE: UNC/Wake Non-Conference Series
(01-17-2019 09:27 PM)1845 Bear Wrote:  If the ACC ever goes to 16 they need to split the divisions into ACC 8 and Big East 8. It would accommodate games like this in league play

All the talk is of the ACC and B1G proposing division-less football, ending the round robin requirement. This would allow a few permanent games such as Wake vs UNC.

The ACC and B1G are not for it simply for putting the best two teams in the CCG regardless of artificial divisions, but also to allow scheduling that enhances the regular season games, either through rotating match ups (e.g., the B1G if they added Texas could rotate them so that they always host one or two of the premier programs of Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, or vice versa in shorter rotation).

So all the scheming about better divisions is pointless.

The Pac-12 may go farther, switching back to 8 games (with a P5 9th SOS requirement) and no divisions as well. (At least if the ADs and the now grown to at least 3 or 4 dissident chancellors and presidents have their way.)
01-20-2019 12:47 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(01-20-2019 12:47 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  The Pac-12 may go farther, switching back to 8 games (with a P5 9th SOS requirement) and no divisions as well. (At least if the ADs and the now grown to at least 3 or 4 dissident chancellors and presidents have their way.)

No chance of that. The ever-growing anti-Larry crowd wants better financial discipline and better management, not 8 conference games. The 4 PNW schools already complain that they don't get enough football games against the LA schools, and CU and UU somehow think they have an absolute right to play the LA schools every year for the rest of eternity, even though they've only been in the conference for about 15 minutes. There will never be enough votes for an 8 game schedule that gives those schools even fewer opportunities to have football games vs. USC and UCLA.
01-20-2019 01:17 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Perhaps the Pac 12 should go to the zipper?

Pacific - Washington, Oregon, California, UCLA, Arizona, Colorado
Western - Wash St, Oregon St, Stanford, USC, Arizona St, Utah

With 8 conference games, let’s look at Washington:

Year 1 - @Oregon, California, @UCLA, Arizona, @Colorado, Washington State, @Stanford, Arizona State
Year 2 - Oregon, @California, UCLA, @Arizona, Colorado, @Washington State, Stanford, @Arizona State
Year 3 - @Oregon, California, @UCLA, Arizona, @Colorado, Oregon State, USC, @Utah
Year 4 - Oregon, @California, UCLA, @Arizona, Colorado, @Oregon State, @USC, Utah

Of course we don’t want to break up the Apple Cup rivalry, so we add a ninth conference game:

Year 1 - Oregon State
Year 2 - @Oregon State
Year 3 - Washington State
Year 4 - @Washington State

That gives everyone not named USC or UCLA 3 games in 4 years in the Los Angeles area, as well as 3 games in 4 years in the Bay Area. The four California schools play each other every year.

The only losers in this arrangement are Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and Colorado, who lose one game in the Los Angeles area every four years. If that bothers them too much, play a neutral site game there every fourth year - for that matter, maybe the new NFL stadium could rotate them through in a kickoff classic in a way that dovetails their conference schedule.
01-20-2019 01:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
As much discussion regarding 18-school conferences as there has been, this would actually be good. Consider this, looking at my proposed 18-school SEC:

West: Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, LSU, Arkansas, Vanderbilt
South: Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Alabama, Auburn
East: Florida, Florida St, Georgia, South Carolina, Clemson, North Carolina St

Schedule: 8 conference games, play your 5 division foes plus 3 from another division. See everyone every 4 years. Being an 8-game schedule, schools have room to schedule other conference rivals and schedule non-conference opponents.

Example: Auburn
Year 1: Alabama, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Tennessee, Kentucky, Texas, Arkansas, LSU
Year 2: Alabama, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida, South Carolina, Clemson
Year 3: Alabama, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Tennessee, Kentucky, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Vanderbilt
Year 4: Alabama, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida St, Georgia, North Carolina St

Auburn could schedule Clemson and Georgia as non-conference opponents in the years they don’t play them.
01-20-2019 02:18 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(01-17-2019 10:04 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(01-17-2019 09:45 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Dump the zipper. It's just one big compromise that really doesn't do a lot for anyone. FSU and the 7 remaining founders in one division and all the members added since 2004 in the other. If WVU and ND are 15 and 16 then I think it's a pretty even set up. VA schools and FL schools are the only protected crossovers needed.

Would you keep it at 8 conference games? If so, each of the VA and FL schools can't play anyone else in the opposite division besides their protected crossover (in conference play, anyway).

I'd keep the 8 conference games--FSU, GT, Clemson, and L'ville would all likely object to 9 conference games. ND surely would as well.

Heck, maybe you drop down to 7 conference games and only play divisional opponents. This could help grease the wheels for ND.

VT-UVA and FSU-Miami would be agreed upon to be OOC series scheduled in perpetuity. The conference office could facilitate other OOC games between members from the two divisions should they elect to seek them.

In football you would effectively have two 8-team conferences who share a tv contract and meet in a CCG.
01-20-2019 03:33 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

The likelihood of not having divisions is much greater than three divisions. Three divisions creates the strange situation where a team “wins” their division but it still left out of the CCG. Also, I don’t think a commissioner has ever mentioned three divisions, so...
01-20-2019 06:19 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
(01-20-2019 01:17 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(01-20-2019 12:47 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  The Pac-12 may go farther, switching back to 8 games (with a P5 9th SOS requirement) and no divisions as well. (At least if the ADs and the now grown to at least 3 or 4 dissident chancellors and presidents have their way.)

No chance of that. The ever-growing anti-Larry crowd wants better financial discipline and better management, not 8 conference games. The 4 PNW schools already complain that they don't get enough football games against the LA schools, and CU and UU somehow think they have an absolute right to play the LA schools every year for the rest of eternity, even though they've only been in the conference for about 15 minutes. There will never be enough votes for an 8 game schedule that gives those schools even fewer opportunities to have football games vs. USC and UCLA.

The ADs have brought up 8 games, based on the data, as it is a format that has given the ACC and SEC more playoff appearances than the other conferences.

I agree Larry goes first. But once he is gone, the ADs requests will get much more seriously aired than now, where Scott tells them to shut up and be happy. That attitude has every AD in the conference against him.
01-21-2019 03:36 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(01-17-2019 11:23 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I can see why it would not make much sense for UNC, but the Pac 12 has a legitimate reason for schools on the East Coast like UNC: exposure on the East Coast either on Eastern Standard Time or playing UNC out west on Pacific Standard Time, which forces East Coasters to stay up late to watch their team play. I have to admit, I actually like that strategy as a semi PAC 12 fan.
01-21-2019 03:46 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(01-21-2019 03:36 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  

The ADs have brought up 8 games, based on the data, as it is a format that has given the ACC and SEC more playoff appearances than the other conferences.

I agree Larry goes first. But once he is gone, the ADs requests will get much more seriously aired than now, where Scott tells them to shut up and be happy. That attitude has every AD in the conference against him.

That and huge financial mismanagement in the PAC 12. I never understood the move to San Francisco anyway, because everything there is ridiculously overpriced!! Walnut Creek was fine for years!! Plus you add in PAC 12 officials acting like total snobs to PAC 12 ADs, it’s little wonder why the PAC 12 wants Scott gone.
01-21-2019 03:57 AM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4

One of Scott's biggest mistakes was given Colorado and Utah full voting rights on matters such as realignment. They should both be happy to be included in the P5 instead of standing in the way of progress and the betterment of the conference as a whole. No way the 2 of them ever vote to realign, reschedule, or expand to the betterment of the other 10 teams.
01-21-2019 11:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.