Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is it time for the MWC to join the bowl pool?
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Most of us are aware that the MAC, CUSA and SBC have a shared agreement with a lot of bowls in the southeast where they rotate depending on the year. The new Myrtle Beach Bowl is set up with this arrangement.

The AAC is too good for the bowl pool in most situations, preferring a direct tie bowl with a P5. They will try to make another push that direction for 2020.

How about the MWC? Everyone is tired of traveling for their bowl games. Is there best move to get in on the bowl pool joining MAC/CUSA/SBC and perhaps a way to match conference champions in one of those ESPN owned bowls?

Let's say if you have this list of champions.

MWC: Colorado St
MAC: Ohio
CUSA: Marshall
SBC: Louisiana

The bowl pairings go down to convenient travel for at least one of the champions.

New Mexico Bowl: Colorado St vs. Ohio
New Orleans Bowl: Louisiana vs. Marshall

Champs but in a location where at least one of the teams will bring significant fans to the ESPN owned bowls.

This ESPN set up a champ bowl in its bowl pool; UAB vs. NIU in Boca Raton. Champ vs. Champ G5 contest.
01-18-2019 08:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

teamvsn Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NAIA
RE: Is it time for the MWC to join the bowl pool?
(01-18-2019 08:12 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Let's say if you have this list of champions.

Hell no. More likely the champions are Fresno State, Boise State, San Diego State or Utah State. They want to play the best P5 team they can get. Fans of most of those teams travel. And your proposed bowls for them are even farther away.
01-18-2019 08:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-18-2019 08:27 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  
(01-18-2019 08:12 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Let's say if you have this list of champions.

Hell no. More likely the champions are Fresno State, Boise State, San Diego State or Utah State. They want to play the best P5 team they can get. Fans of most of those teams travel. And your proposed bowls for them are even farther away.

If its Boise St they can play the CUSA champion in the Potato Bowl if they want.
01-18-2019 08:36 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I forgot to mention that with the Las Vegas bowl dumping the MWC all their ties are G5 anyways.

Maybe they can revive the Poinsettia Bowl and move it to Las Vegas as a nice addition to the bowl pool.
01-18-2019 08:40 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
(01-18-2019 08:12 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Most of us are aware that the MAC, CUSA and SBC have a shared agreement with a lot of bowls in the southeast where they rotate depending on the year. The new Myrtle Beach Bowl is set up with this arrangement.

The AAC is too good for the bowl pool in most situations, preferring a direct tie bowl with a P5. They will try to make another push that direction for 2020.

How about the MWC? Everyone is tired of traveling for their bowl games. Is there best move to get in on the bowl pool joining MAC/CUSA/SBC and perhaps a way to match conference champions in one of those ESPN owned bowls?

The bowl pairings go down to convenient travel for at least one of the champions.

Champs but in a location where at least one of the teams will bring significant fans to the ESPN owned bowls.

This ESPN set up a champ bowl in its bowl pool; UAB vs. NIU in Boca Raton. Champ vs. Champ G5 contest.

I kind of like the concept, however your sample is wrong, Colorado State will never win a title.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
01-18-2019 09:02 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
(01-18-2019 08:12 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Most of us are aware that the MAC, CUSA and SBC have a shared agreement with a lot of bowls in the southeast where they rotate depending on the year. The new Myrtle Beach Bowl is set up with this arrangement.

This is blatant trolling. What a jerk.
01-18-2019 09:15 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

The AAC is too good for the bowl pool in most situations,

03-lmfao

The MWC was better than the AAC this year.
01-18-2019 09:41 PM
LostInSpace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-18-2019 09:41 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

03-lmfao

Trollmance. Get a room you two.
01-18-2019 09:48 PM
teamvsn Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NAIA
(01-18-2019 08:40 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  I forgot to mention that with the Las Vegas bowl dumping the MWC all their ties are G5 anyways.

Maybe they can revive the Poinsettia Bowl and move it to Las Vegas as a nice addition to the bowl pool.

I know that. I fell for your trolling. Well played.
01-18-2019 10:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston

Most of the MW’s bowl games are against G5 teams—so--while they may not officially in the "bowl pool"---they are basically in the bowl pool. I think you could create a bowl pool that could generate some very interesting G5 champ vs G5 champ bowls if CUSA/SB/MW/MAC all were willing to do so. The biggest issue with the MW being involved is they---like the other G5 conferences---would prefer thier champ to play in a bowl within the conference footprint if they are just going to play another G5. It makes it easier to get a decent crowd if both fan bases can make the bowl with a reasonable drive. Its impossible to do that for the MW AND thier opponent—where as the SB, MAC, CUSA, and AAC can do something to accommodate everyone as they all overlap to a degree.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2019 10:00 AM by Attackcoog.)
01-18-2019 11:14 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-18-2019 11:14 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Most of their bowl games are against G5 teams, so--while they may not officially in the "bowl pool"---they are basically in the bowl pool. I think you could create a bowl pool that could generate some very interesting G5 champ vs G5 champ bowls if CUSA/SB/MW/MAC all were willing to do so. The biggest issue with the MW being involved is they---like the other G5 conferences---would prefer thier champ to play in a bowl within the conference footprint if they are just going to play another G5. It makes it easier to get a decent crowd if both fan bases can make the bowl with a reasonable drive. Its impossible to do that for the MW. The SB, MAC, CUSA, and AAC all overlap to a degree.

Right think about where they are right now.

Hawaii Bowl-AAC/CUSA
Potato Bowl-MAC
New Mexico Bowl-CUSA
Arizona Bowl-SBC

There was more willingness for the other G5 conferences to play out west this past bowl cycle because of realignment. Now there is much less incentive to go to their backyard where the eastern G5s have very few alumni.

Unless they were willing to offer a champ to a G4 bowl pool type of thing. I assume the AAC won't be interested as they want to have their champ in the CFP or up against a P5. The AAC has 4 P5 conferences in its footprint which makes a big difference.

So is MWC going to send its champ against the PAC #7 in the Arizona Bowl or are they going to coordinate something with the MAC/SBC/CUSA. I realize that most of the MWC has historically been a level up from schools in those conferences but these days not anymore.

Suggest the MWC deserves peer placement with the AAC is a farce if one looks at recruiting aside from Boise St they are way behind.
01-19-2019 12:45 AM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

03-lmfao

Ohio lost to Cincinnati 30-34 while they blanked San Diego St 27-0. I can tell you the AAC is still the tougher league. Jumped out on both in the first half but UC fought back.

From my perspective those MWC schools and their PAC wins are overrated.
01-19-2019 12:52 AM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

(01-19-2019 12:45 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

Most of their bowl games are against G5 teams, so--while they may not officially in the "bowl pool"---they are basically in the bowl pool. I think you could create a bowl pool that could generate some very interesting G5 champ vs G5 champ bowls if CUSA/SB/MW/MAC all were willing to do so. The biggest issue with the MW being involved is they---like the other G5 conferences---would prefer thier champ to play in a bowl within the conference footprint if they are just going to play another G5. It makes it easier to get a decent crowd if both fan bases can make the bowl with a reasonable drive. Its impossible to do that for the MW. The SB, MAC, CUSA, and AAC all overlap to a degree.

Hawaii Bowl-AAC/CUSA
Potato Bowl-MAC
New Mexico Bowl-CUSA
Arizona Bowl-SBC

There was more willingness for the other G5 conferences to play out west this past bowl cycle because of realignment. Now there is much less incentive to go to their backyard where the eastern G5s have very few alumni.

Unless they were willing to offer a champ to a G4 bowl pool type of thing. I assume the AAC won't be interested as they want to have their champ in the CFP or up against a P5. The AAC has 4 P5 conferences in its footprint which makes a big difference.

So is MWC going to send its champ against the PAC #7 in the Arizona Bowl or are they going to coordinate something with the MAC/SBC/CUSA. I realize that most of the MWC has historically been a level up from schools in those conferences but these days not anymore.

Suggest the MWC deserves peer placement with the AAC is a farce if one looks at recruiting aside from Boise St they are way behind.

MWC had 3 in top 25, AAC had 2
MWC had a higher Massey rating than the AAC this year, and this was with a down year in the MWC.

01-19-2019 01:18 AM
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(01-19-2019 01:18 AM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  

Hawaii Bowl-AAC/CUSA
Potato Bowl-MAC
New Mexico Bowl-CUSA
Arizona Bowl-SBC

MWC had a higher Massey rating than the AAC this year, and this was with a down year in the MWC.

A down year for the MWC?? 04-jawdrop :jawdrop:You really don't believe that load of crazy do you? The AAC was down last year and was slightly underrated. Those overrated mwc teams literally beat no one but each other to earn those overly generous rankings.
01-19-2019 09:54 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports

Hawaii Bowl-AAC/CUSA
Potato Bowl-MAC
New Mexico Bowl-CUSA
Arizona Bowl-SBC

How was this a down year in the MWC?
01-19-2019 10:11 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(01-19-2019 12:52 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

03-lmfao

Ohio lost to Cincinnati 30-34 while they blanked San Diego St 27-0. I can tell you the AAC is still the tougher league. Jumped out on both in the first half but UC fought back.

From my perspective those MWC schools and their PAC wins are overrated.

It's nice that this is your perspective, but it's not really valid to determine whether the AAC or MW was better based on Ohio's experience, especially since Cincinnati was the #2 AAC team while San Diego State was the #7 MW team.

Probably of slightly more relevance are facts like the MW was 3-2 in bowls while the AAC was 2-5 in bowls, that a whole bunch of computers said the MW was better, and the MW went 3-0 in games vs the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2019 10:41 AM by quo vadis.)
01-19-2019 10:38 AM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Obviously I’m more of a Mountain West fan, but it is foolish to say the conference is on par with CUSA, MAC, and SBC. In any given year, the AAC is likely better top to bottom - even if the numbers don’t show it, it will be the majority perception.
01-19-2019 12:13 PM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Geography plays a major role. The AAC will need G5 bowls for mid to lower seeded teams. IIRC, they are the only non power conference approved for more bowls than 50% of conference make-up (7/12). Everyone else is at 50% for guaranteed bowl slots. Some years the lowest AAC bowl may go unfilled which would work perfectly for a bowl pool situation.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2019 01:39 PM by gulfcoastgal.)
01-19-2019 01:38 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(01-19-2019 01:38 PM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  Geography plays a major role. The AAC will need G5 bowls for mid to lower seeded teams. IIRC, they are the only non power conference approved for more than 50% of conference make-up (7/12). Everyone else is at 50% for guaranteed bowl slots. Some years the lowest AAC bowl may go unfilled which would work perfectly for a bowl pool situation.

The AAC will no doubt have some bowls vs the G5. Their best case scenario is probably something like getting mostly bowls with P5 opponents (say--Military, St Pete, Armed Forces Bowl, Heart of Dallas Bowl, Birmingham, and Indy) with a couple "in footprint" G5 bowls (say Cure and NOLA). Alot of AAC fans would be disappointed by this lineup---but I think, barring some kind of miracle by Aresco, this kind of incremental improvement is probably the kind of thing the AAC could realistically end up with in the next bowl cycle.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2019 01:45 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-19-2019 01:41 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

(01-19-2019 10:11 AM)ken d Wrote:  

Hawaii Bowl-AAC/CUSA
Potato Bowl-MAC
New Mexico Bowl-CUSA
Arizona Bowl-SBC

How was this a down year in the MWC?

Just seeing if anyone is paying attention, you are,

01-19-2019 09:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.