Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

More Pac12 Woes
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
More Pac12 Woes
Sounds as if the PAC12 schools are receiving a payout on par with the American Athletic Conference.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/13/t...socialflow
02-13-2019 12:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
RE: More Pac12 Woes
“We were just coming off the biggest Tier 1 deal in the history off college sports” — the $3 billion agreement with ESPN and Fox — “and everybody was jumping up and down. (Scott) had just walked the walk, so why shouldn’t we believe him?”

They are doing much, much better than us
02-13-2019 01:01 PM
megadrone Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(02-13-2019 12:54 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Sounds as if the PAC12 schools are receiving a payout on par with the American Athletic Conference.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/13/t...socialflow

That's just from the Network, not the total amount distributed.
02-13-2019 01:12 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Information provided to the Hotline by SNL Kagan, the renown media research firm, indicates the Pac-12 Networks have lost seven percent of their audience since the peak in 2016, with much of the decline attributed to the discontinuation of service on U-verse last year.

With just 17.9 million subscribers (per Kagan), the Pac-12 Networks will have fewer subscribers in 2019 than The Pursuit Channel, The Sportsman Channel, Fox Deportes and Z Living, according to Nielsen cable coverage estimates from the fall.

ESPN analyst Brock Huard, the former Washington quarterback who hosts a radio show in Seattle, said the lack of reach has cast a pall over the conference, particularly in football.

“It affects everything. It impacts everything. It is your brand,” he said. “It is what you put out there for the country to see.

“We go on the road and go out to dinner as a (production) crew … and you go to Buffalo Wild Wings or a sports bar, anything you can find, and we want to watch these games and the network isn’t on. You can’t find it.

“It affects everything.”

They have to expand into the central time zone if they want to materially increase subscribers to the brand-defining network that "affects everything."
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2019 01:19 PM by CougarRed.)
02-13-2019 01:19 PM
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
I would love to watch the PAC12 games but the time zones are so far apart from EST its like they are on another planet. So I don't stay up super late to watch them. I don't see why the PAC hasn't made it a priority to move in to the Central Time Zone with new members.
02-13-2019 01:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I wonder what the growth/revenue would have looked like had the PAC been successful with the Texahoma acquisition (Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State). I'd imagine it would be on par with where the B1G and SEC are currently.
02-13-2019 02:20 PM
Advertisement

No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
(02-13-2019 01:19 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Information provided to the Hotline by SNL Kagan, the renown media research firm, indicates the Pac-12 Networks have lost seven percent of their audience since the peak in 2016, with much of the decline attributed to the discontinuation of service on U-verse last year.

With just 17.9 million subscribers (per Kagan), the Pac-12 Networks will have fewer subscribers in 2019 than The Pursuit Channel, The Sportsman Channel, Fox Deportes and Z Living, according to Nielsen cable coverage estimates from the fall.

ESPN analyst Brock Huard, the former Washington quarterback who hosts a radio show in Seattle, said the lack of reach has cast a pall over the conference, particularly in football.

“It affects everything. It impacts everything. It is your brand,” he said. “It is what you put out there for the country to see.

“We go on the road and go out to dinner as a (production) crew … and you go to Buffalo Wild Wings or a sports bar, anything you can find, and we want to watch these games and the network isn’t on. You can’t find it.

“It affects everything.”

They have to expand into the central time zone if they want to materially increase subscribers to the brand-defining network that "affects everything."

The same with the MWC. They need Rice and another central time zone school.
02-13-2019 02:39 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(02-13-2019 02:39 PM)No Bull Wrote:  
(02-13-2019 01:19 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Information provided to the Hotline by SNL Kagan, the renown media research firm, indicates the Pac-12 Networks have lost seven percent of their audience since the peak in 2016, with much of the decline attributed to the discontinuation of service on U-verse last year.

“It affects everything.”

If anything's gonna bring in big tv audiences it's Rice...
02-13-2019 02:41 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(02-13-2019 02:20 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  I wonder what the growth/revenue would have looked like had the PAC been successful with the Texahoma acquisition (Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State). I'd imagine it would be on par with where the B1G and SEC are currently.

I dont know about that---but it would be substantially better than it is now. There is reason to believe it would have made a pretty big difference.

Here is the thing to remember about the potential they have. Right now, the Pac12 is COMPLETELY owned by the Pac12. So, the reason the profits are pretty low---is because the current fixed production costs are eating up most of the revenue---but the costs are all covered at this point and the Pac12Network is spinning off a profit. What this also means is that expansion into the central time--assuming that results in wider carriage within that area, would mean virtually all the new revenue would fall directly to the bottom line profit. There wouldnt be much in terms of extra costs---but there WOULD be a ton more revenue coming from the more populated central time zone.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2019 03:05 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-13-2019 02:48 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
I have DirectTV and the P12N isn't even on it (BTN and SECN are). I'm not alone in the SF Bay Area.

Larry Scott made a long series of blunders. But he has managed the executive committee and they love him (Oregon State, Arizona State, UCLA). I am hoping that as the executive committee is turned over to new Presidents that changes. I count 4 University Presidents and Chancellors who are now in the anti-Scott camp, 3 in the pro-Scott (the executive committee), 2 mired in internal problems (USC and uofA), and 3 I have no read on (CU, Utah, Oregon ... although it seems like Oregon may be leaning anti-Scott since somebody is feeding the Portland media, much like Cal and Stanford are feeding Wilner). It's getting close to a tipping point, where a majority want him out (all the ADs want him gone).

The bad news just keeps piling up. I am amazed Scott is not walking away. Interesting days.
02-13-2019 02:54 PM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-13-2019 02:41 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  

“It affects everything.”

If anything's gonna bring in big tv audiences it's Rice...

The MWC should invite Texas Tech.....

because they were surely accept the offer....
02-13-2019 03:04 PM
Advertisement

UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
I could see an alliance with the Big XII where Pac-12 schools could play in Texas and Big XII schools could play games out West no later than 7pm CST. At this point, the Pac-12 has too many internal issues and it’s perceived too weak to raid the Big XII. Adding Houston or SMU won’t solve anything either and they don’t fit the Pac-12 profile of a flagship/land grant university or an academic powerhouse. It’s Texas or bust for them and Texas will stay ruling the Big XII.
02-13-2019 03:37 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
I'm a little shocked by the blurb at the end of the article that denotes the buybacks the conference had to go through in order to put the network together.

The prices will vary by school, but it looks like many of the PAC 12 members have barely made any money at all off the network when you consider all the costs involved.

Merciful heavens, that is a cluster...
02-13-2019 03:42 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
It seems the big issue is that there are too many networks. If the PAC had just one network like the other conferences it would be more profitable as they wouldn’t have the costs of producing a ton of games for the regional areas.
The PAC 12 then can have a digital network for school production games for other sports much like the MW does for their digital network.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2019 10:49 AM by MWC Tex.)
02-13-2019 03:45 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(02-13-2019 02:54 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  I have DirectTV and the P12N isn't even on it (BTN and SECN are). I'm not alone in the SF Bay Area.

Larry Scott made a long series of blunders. But he has managed the executive committee and they love him (Oregon State, Arizona State, UCLA). I am hoping that as the executive committee is turned over to new Presidents that changes. I count 4 University Presidents and Chancellors who are now in the anti-Scott camp, 3 in the pro-Scott (the executive committee), 2 mired in internal problems (USC and uofA), and 3 I have no read on (CU, Utah, Oregon ... although it seems like Oregon may be leaning anti-Scott since somebody is feeding the Portland media, much like Cal and Stanford are feeding Wilner). It's getting close to a tipping point, where a majority want him out (all the ADs want him gone).

The bad news just keeps piling up. I am amazed Scott is not walking away. Interesting days.

I agree. I have Spectrum here in Southern California and we just got the Pac-12 Network about 18 months ago. Before I got it on Spectrum, you could not find a Pac-12 Network game on TV. The Sports Bars never had the games and a lot of them still don't. When it is easier to find a Mountain West Conference game on TV rather than a Pac-12 game, that is a problem.

Scott needs to go. The guy is spending money like a drunken sailor. The west coast is beginning to lose top recruits to other power conferences. The bleeding has to stop. Scott is responsible for a lot of this, but some of these ADs have not done such a good job, either.

Hiring Lynn Swann at USC was a joke. When they are not losing games on the field, they are losing recruits and coordinators. The UCLA basketball team is the most undisciplined, selfish team you will ever see on a basketball court. They just blew a 22 point lead in the last 12 minutes at home in a loss to Utah. I don't even think they cared. Washington State beat Arizona, in basketball, by 14 in Tucson. That is hitting rock bottom. The scandal that hit Arizona last season has set this program back.
02-13-2019 04:04 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
How does the PAC realistically get into the Central time zone? Could it pry away any B12 schools before Texas and Oklahoma leave? The only non-P5 schools that appear to meet the academic rigor are Rice and Tulane. Houston and Memphis would move the needle for football and basketball....but don't appear to check the academics or flagship/fan-following boxes.

So, 6-7 more years of the status quo?
02-13-2019 04:22 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(02-13-2019 02:54 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  I have DirectTV and the P12N isn't even on it (BTN and SECN are). I'm not alone in the SF Bay Area.

College presidents love nobody like they love a Country Club, Tennis Playing, Up Scale Schmoozer and former Ivy Grad. They are blinded by all that they love to see in a leader and as usual the abject failure is obscured!
02-13-2019 04:28 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7

“It affects everything.”

Rice is barely getting any viewers. With Houston and Texas A&M hogging the market.

North Dakota State is putting up viewers like Boise State. Winning does that to you.
North Texas is winning. How will they do in MWC?
02-13-2019 04:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-13-2019 04:45 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

“It affects everything.”

Rice is barely getting any viewers. With Houston and Texas A&M hogging the market.

North Dakota State is putting up viewers like Boise State. Winning does that to you.
North Texas is winning. How will they do in MWC?
North Dakota State is central time zone... they would be a geographic outlier... but who knows.

Rice and North Texas could be travel partners... a winning Rice team might attract some Houston viewers... North Texas has at least a small share of the DFW market... gets the MWC into the central timezone… Texas recruiting grounds...
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2019 05:03 PM by No Bull.)
02-13-2019 05:00 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts

“It affects everything.”

I'd like to hear what the AD's say about scheduling in the Pac-12 Network world.

When AState went to USC a few years back fans were very unhappy that they couldn't get the game. Our AD said he didn't want to go back to a Pac-12 again unless Pac-12 Network increased its reach. When he scheduled a game for 2021 I asked him about it and he said that he held the date so long trying to work out the Miami thing that he got stuck and Washington was the only one willing to pay what he wanted in 2021.

I wonder if some schools are hesitant to schedule games that might end up on Pac-12 Network.
02-13-2019 05:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.