Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Not as deep as the ACC yet but B1G lacrosse is turning out to be a pretty good league
Bookmark and Share
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
Not as deep as the ACC yet but B1G lacrosse is turning out to be a pretty good league
Every since the Eastward expansion I've been following the trajectory of the B1G lacrosse league and I have to say that overall I've been impressed. The level of commitment I've seen from facilities improvement to competing for the best recruits has been commendable.

I think the mix of the league is probably what has made it successful so quickly. You start with the blue bloods Johns Hopkins and Maryland add 3 of the richest athletic departments in the country with Ohio State, Michigan, & Penn State and throw in an athletic department that has fiscal problems but is in a region with tons of lacrosse talent available in Rutgers. The six programs together give you a nice blend of top heavy always in the hunt for National Titles and hungry programs with the ability to throw money into facilities, recruiting, and hiring/retaining top notch coaches.

All of that being said I want to give the ACC their propers. Every last program in that conference can jump up and win a national title any given year. While we've seen competitiveness on a national level from Penn State, Ohio State and Rutgers, we haven't seen sustained competitiveness over many years so at this point I still feel like year in and year out Maryland and Hopkins will be the schools I expect to compete for National Titles. This is borne out in the conference if you ask yourself which teams have won the regular season and conference championship since the league started.

Another issue I have not heard much of that could have a serious impact is the status of Johns Hopkins. I'm sure you all remember that when they joined the league they signed up for 5 years. I believe next year (2019-2020) is the last season of the 5. I think that the league has been good for them but again I haven't heard anything positive or negative regarding their desire to re-up. The lacrosse world is changing but I wonder if the pull from rivals they don't get to play as often is enough for them to pull out of the league they helped create.

What do you all think? How long will it take for the B1G to catch up in terms of depth to the ACC in Lacrosse?
02-23-2019 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
RE: Not as deep as the ACC yet but B1G lacrosse is turning out to be a pretty good league
I don't know the popularity of the sport nationwide or in specific regions, but I would expect Northwestern to do well as a private school in Chicago. As a northern/midwestern conference, spring sports are tougher but the conference does extremely well at lacrosse and it may be just a matter of time before the Big Ten passes the ACC if the conference invests more of their money into the sport.

Having Johns Hopkins helps, and I hope they stay. I expected better performance from them over this time.
02-23-2019 02:25 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
RE: Not as deep as the ACC yet but B1G lacrosse is turning out to be a pretty good league
I like to think in regards to Ohio State, its improvement has come from the high school level and up. The last 10 years or so it appears lacrosse has grown at this level. I know a lot of smaller high schools have taken on this sport recently and it has been somewhat successful. Columbus suburbs like Upper Arlington, lacrosse has thrived.

Not real sure how well it does in Cleveland and Cincinnati area? But I would also have to believe this sport is really growing in Pennsylvania at the high school level too?
02-23-2019 03:21 PM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland & Elon
Ok, so I think there are two distinct questions. First, is the B1G a good lacrosse league? Second, how long will it take to catch up to the ACC.

The answer to the first is yes. Maryland and Hopkins lend some credibility to the league but tOSU, PSU and Rutgers have performed pretty well over since the founding of the league. I looked up the historical results and in '17-'18, Maryland, Hopkins, tOSU and PSU made the tournament. Rutgers hasn't made the tournament since the league has been founded but has been on the bubble a few years (and should probably have been in at least 1 year). We have a pretty solid league. As for Michigan...oh boy. They certainly have the money and ability to invest in everything but they have A LOT of work to do. In 3 years they are 1-14 in conference play.

Go here for B1G lax stats. All time standings are at the bottom of page 252 and NCAA Lax tournament appearances are at the top of page 270 (I wish I was more computer literate so I could integrate these to the post.)

So the second question, when will the B1G catch the ACC? This is a much more difficult question to answer. My answer is probably 10 years minimum with the potential for never. The ACC schools just have to much of a head start. They have the history. While they aren't currently in the same financial realm as the B1G, they have money and the desire to invest. The B1G has the money (currently) but not the history. In my mind, history is more important although money is still a big factor.

Now comes the "fun" part. What is going to happen with Hopkins. Short answer is I have no idea and I haven't heard anything. Believe me, I've been keeping an eye/ear out for scraps of info. My thought is that Hopkins is very likely talking to the ACC. They previously were not interested in partial memberships but now...? I'm not saying they are leaving but I'd be shocked if conversations were not happening. I think the B1G NEEDS to be discussing the possibility of them leaving and what actions should be taken. Who does the B1G call up? I think the B1G schools that might be most likely/able to regain the crucial 6th member are schools in the east. MSU could restart their program. Maybe Indiana. Northwestern would be a good place to look since they have an existing women's program. Obvious issues would be money and title IX. There is the potential for looking at someone out west. A REALLY dark horse could be if UConn starts a program. They have a ton of financial issues but they are in a talent rich area and I'd expect that if they start a program, it'd be pretty darn good in a short amount of time.
02-24-2019 09:56 AM
cubucks Offline
All American

Good game on ESPNU with #2 Maryland and #17 Notre Dame.
03-03-2019 01:20 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

Now, Notre Dame just dominating in the 3rd qt.
03-03-2019 01:31 PM
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

Very fun game, Congrats ND.
03-03-2019 02:45 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(03-03-2019 02:45 PM)cubucks Wrote:  Very fun game, Congrats ND.

That was an excellent game.

Kind of game that get one into Lacrosse.....
03-04-2019 12:43 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

Ohio State currently down 4-1 to Rutgers. Oops, make it 5-1 now. Let's get it going Buckeyes!
03-31-2019 11:21 AM
cubucks Offline
All American

Great win today Rutgers!
03-31-2019 01:05 PM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

https://twitter.com/UMichAthletics/statu...34272?s=19

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. Wish them continued success.
04-27-2019 06:10 AM
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

(04-27-2019 06:10 AM)TerpsNPhoenix Wrote:  https://twitter.com/UMichAthletics/statu...34272?s=19

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. Wish them continued success.
I hate Michigan with everything in me!

But, I have really become a fan of lacrosse over the last few years. The more competitive teams the better. Just as long as they don't get too used to beating the Buckeyes.
04-27-2019 11:24 AM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

Yeah, 1st win in program history requires me to note this. I just want Michigan to not drag down the rest of the league.
04-27-2019 11:57 AM
cubucks Offline
All American

(04-27-2019 11:57 AM)TerpsNPhoenix Wrote:  Yeah, 1st win in program history requires me to note this. I just want Michigan to not drag down the rest of the league.
Yep, totally agree!
04-27-2019 02:15 PM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

SB Nations College Lacrosse, thoughts on Hopkins and the Big Ten. Nothing official but people I think of as knowledgeable.

https://twitter.com/TerpsNPhoenix/status...33984?s=19
04-28-2019 10:37 AM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

Another comment in the thread but just thought I'd highlight it.

https://twitter.com/aepstein/status/1122...99712?s=19

While this is not official, I do certainly feel better after the reassurance.
04-28-2019 11:29 AM
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

Glad they are in our conference and hoping they are staying.
04-28-2019 11:46 AM
cubucks Offline
All American

Congrats to Penn State for winning the conference!

Best of luck to Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland and Johns Hopkins in the tournament. Very good group of teams representing the conference!
04-28-2019 11:54 AM
cubucks Offline
All American

Congratulations to Maryland women's lacrosse winning the Big 10!
04-28-2019 11:56 AM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

I am relieved that's the take away from them but let's not count our chickens before they're hatched. This is a good sign and I'm more comfortable now but until there is OFFICIAL word, I'll still be keeping an eye out.
04-28-2019 12:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.