Strategic Big 12/Pac 12 alliance proposal
02-26-2019 11:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Strategic Big 12/Pac 12 alliance proposal
(02-26-2019 11:55 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/26/f...-together/

DOA.
02-26-2019 11:59 AM
Baylorbears11 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Baylor
(02-26-2019 11:55 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/26/f...-together/

It’s good to come up with concepts but that’s not happening. Too many teams have important OoC slots to fill with rivals and the PAC and Big 12 are not going to limit their exposure to the Western United States exclusively.

USC and Stanford have to play Notre Dame. Utah must play BYU. Iowa State must play Iowa. For others like Colorado, Oklahoma, and West Virginia there is a need to play old Big 8 and Big East rivals. The Texas schools share that need on a smaller scale with regular scheduling of Houston, Arkansas, SMU, and Rice.

Those schools are not giving up those games. Further the OoC component is too steep to play every single game as a P5 game. Coaches want tune-ups games and fans want winning records. The conference leaders are also not going to agree to a schedule that, outside of trips to West Virginia, never takes you east of the Mississippi.

I think it’s more likely the PAC continues to struggle and when it comes time renegotiate media deals that solve their competitive problems by adding the Texomas which will get an increase in competive play and academic peers while trimming the fat of the Big 12.
02-26-2019 12:30 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
There are many obvious issues with this proposal which I won't bother to repeat.

In the end, I believe forming a new conference, that takes the 18 best teams from the 2 existing conferences, might work better.
02-26-2019 12:35 PM
goofus Offline
All American

A less ambitious proposal would be to just play 1 OOC game each year against each other.

But even that smaller change will probably mean the end of 7 home games each year for most teams.
02-26-2019 12:40 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I could see a scheduling alliance working for hoops (ie. 2-4 games per season), as others have pointed out this untenable for FB. One game a year might be the best you could do for football.
02-26-2019 01:01 PM
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(02-26-2019 11:59 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

DOA.

I agree. I can't see Stanford and USC taking Notre Dame off of their schedules. UCLA has home-and-home games over the next ten years with LSU, Georgia, Michigan and Auburn. They are playing Oklahoma this season in the Rose Bowl. I cannot see UCLA substituting any of those games for Kansas and Iowa State.

Both USC and UCLA have never played an FCS team, so that is not an issue for these two schools. I just don't see the problem in playing G5 schools, especially schools that have good football programs.
02-26-2019 01:29 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

"...And in the early 2010s, the Pac-12 discussed a partnership with the Big Ten by which each team from one conference would play a team from the other. (The plan ultimately fell apart.)..."

<USC and Stanford opposed it-I see no reason to think they would be different with regard to a Big 12 alliance>
02-26-2019 01:37 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
This is in the ball park of what I have always figured would be the answer for the both the Pac12 and Big12. Im thinking more of a complete merger--with perhaps a few teams being left out. That would solve the Big12 stability issue and it would solve the Pac12 limited west coast population footprint. If you drop some of the double dip schools in the relatively low population states and the one outlier---you'd drop four teams from the group of Arizona St, Oregon St, Washington St, Kansas St, and WVU. That gets you to a 18 team super conference covering 3 time zones that would have little fear of realignment and would be a solid TV draw/value.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2019 01:51 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-26-2019 01:50 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
The only way I can see it working is if the Pac-12 goes back to 8 conference games. That leaves 4 OOC games available instead of the current three. They can play 2 Big XII schools OOC, a G5 and another P5 or a FCS game. Schools like USC and Stanford would play three P5 schools possible four some years.

I could see USC with something like this:
@Oklahoma
UNLV
Kansas
@Notre Dame

Utah:
BYU or Utah State
@TCU
Iowa State
Weber State
02-26-2019 01:52 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(02-26-2019 01:01 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I could see a scheduling alliance working for hoops (ie. 2-4 games per season), as others have pointed out this untenable for FB. One game a year might be the best you could do for football.

the Big 12 just renewed their scheduling with the SEC SEC SEC for 6 years and they have a new 4 year deal with the Big East

https://www.bigeast.com/news/2018/10/23/...ath=mbball

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.d...=211787997

so they are covered in basketball
02-26-2019 02:30 PM
Advertisement

templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
Pac12 is timezone locked, work with MWC
the stronger MWC becomes, they all make more money, keep recurits
fill up stadiums
02-26-2019 05:45 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Getting something going between those two leagues makes a lot of sense strategically but if Stanford and USC balked at a scheduling arrangement with the Big Ten I'm doubtful they agree to one with the Big 12. Then again, a lot has changed and PAC 12 finances are a mess.

There's this thought--the Big Ten and Big 12 split the PAC 12:

Big Ten takes the CA schools, Oregon, and Washngton

Big 12 takes Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, and Colorado

Oregon St and Washington St join the MWC
02-26-2019 08:56 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(02-26-2019 08:56 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Getting something going between those two leagues makes a lot of sense strategically but if Stanford and USC balked at a scheduling arrangement with the Big Ten I'm doubtful they agree to one with the Big 12. Then again, a lot has changed and PAC 12 finances are a mess.

This is the end result I think we'd expect if every school was only concerned with itself. I do think the original PAC-8 looks after each other - call it a hunch. That being said, I would imagine their #1 goal would be to stick together and #2 to be sure each of those 8 schools finds its way into a power conference. So, Oregon St and Washington St to the XII may be in the cards should the B1G take those 6. Also, I may think Oregon to the B1G may be less likely than Colorado.

B1G (14) + Washington, California, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Colorado
XII (10) + Washington St, Oregon, Oregon St, Utah, Arizona, Arizona St

B1G
West: Washington, California, Stanford, USC, UCLA
Central: Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin
North: Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan St
East: Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St, Maryland, Rutgers

XII
North: Washington St, Oregon, Oregon St, Utah
West: Arizona, Arizona St, Baylor, TCU
South: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St
East: Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St, West Virginia
02-26-2019 10:08 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(02-26-2019 08:56 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Getting something going between those two leagues makes a lot of sense strategically but if Stanford and USC balked at a scheduling arrangement with the Big Ten I'm doubtful they agree to one with the Big 12. Then again, a lot has changed and PAC 12 finances are a mess.

It didn't take this thread long to go off on a predictable path. For the record, the Pac-12 had a problem with the scheduling because they were playing a nine game conference schedule and due to previous non-conference commitments. The Big Ten was playing an eight game schedule. USC and Stanford are locked into Notre Dame each season, adding another a Big Ten game did not make sense for them.

For the umpteenth time, the Pac-12 finances are not a mess. They have expense issues that are costing them revenue, but they are not a mess. As of 2016-2017, the Pac-12 had six of the 33 schools with $100 million dollar budgets in 2016-2017:

Oregon $145,417,315
Washington $128,745,183
Stanford $125,039,558
USC $113,174,912
UCLA $104,106,646
Arizona State $101,579,860
02-26-2019 11:23 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
USC and Stanford would just be excluded from a 1 game scheduling arrangement. That makes 10v10.

If the conferences were going to merge, the magic number would be smaller than 18. The only automatics would be UT, OU, UW, UO, and the CA schools. That's actually enough for a football conference right there. Everything beyond that is dilutional, but two more for a CCG or 4 more for a divisional alignment might have some appeal. No sense in going beyond 12.
02-27-2019 02:15 AM
Advertisement

TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(02-26-2019 11:23 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

It didn't take this thread long to go off on a predictable path. For the record, the Pac-12 had a problem with the scheduling because they were playing a nine game conference schedule and due to previous non-conference commitments. The Big Ten was playing an eight game schedule. USC and Stanford are locked into Notre Dame each season, adding another a Big Ten game did not make sense for them.

For the umpteenth time, the Pac-12 finances are not a mess. They have expense issues that are costing them revenue, but they are not a mess. As of 2016-2017, the Pac-12 had six of the 33 schools with $100 million dollar budgets in 2016-2017:

Oregon $145,417,315
Washington $128,745,183
Stanford $125,039,558
USC $113,174,912
UCLA $104,106,646
Arizona State $101,579,860

these numbers are very misleading

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

1. the "expense" issues are not going away unless they cut down on their exposure and their coverage of conference events

2. ASU might have a "100 million dollar budget", but that has $18.86 million in academic side subsidies to get there

Colorado has a $94 million dollar budget, but $12.57 million of that came from the academic side

AU had a $90 million dollar budget, but $10 million in academic subsidies

Utah $83 million, bur $12.5 from the academic side

then there is Cal with $107 million in expenses, but only $91 million in revenues

Oregon State $82.7 million in expenses, but only $79 million in revenue including $7 million from the academic side

WSU $71.8 million in expenses with only $64.3 million in revenue including $5.2 from the academic side

outside of Rutgers (athletic and academic financial disaster) with $33 million from the academic side the PAC 12 has the 2nd, 6th, 7th 8th highest P5 academic subsidies with only Maryland and Minnesota and Virginia 3rd, 4th, 5th and two of those four have a large revenue jump coming over time (yes even Maryland after the buy in and well over ACC revenues)

they have 4 members with $10+ million in academic subsidies and 2 with $5 million+

PAC 12 4/2
ACC 1/7
Big 12 0/1
SEC SEC SEC 0/0
Big 10 3/0

and again that is excluding the expenses over revenues of AU, ASU, WSU, Cal

oh the conferences with programs expenses greater than revenues

PAC 12 4
SEC SEC SEC 1 MU
ACC 4 UVA, VT, GT, NCSt
Big 12 0
Big 10 2 RU (of course) and Illinois

then there is the debt

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/...pling-debt

3 of the top 10 are in the PAC 12

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/...pling-debt

and WSU has major issues their president says will not continue

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...736222002/

it is not impressive to take 10s of millions from academics, run annual deficits, and to run up massive debt on facilities just to say you spent a lot every year

and the PAC 12 is the clear conference "leader" in all those areas
02-27-2019 04:16 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
The Dude of West Virginia says that Texas and Oklahoma are in favor of this.

He also claims that ESPN is going to make sure that West Virginia joins the ACC along with Notre Dame joining in football.

His extensive contacts tell him so.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 3h3 hours ag
Earlier I was a bit over the top about the Big 12 - Pac 12 whatever we should call it. I did learn about the proposal more than a month ago and I've stayed on top of it since. Like everyone else I'm skeptical as to how it would actually work.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 3h3 hours ago
The most important takeaway is that the Big 12 is no longer a static conference - the cold war between Oklahoma and Texas is over.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 3h3 hours ago
The Big 12, lead by Dr. Gee, is looking to redefine the revenue model for college sports so that all those involved, including student-athletes, benefit.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 2h2 hours ago
Based on what I know, the proposal on the table isn't perfect, but they have six years to perfect it. There are no guarantees, but at least the Big 12 and Pac 12 are talking and exploring how they can work together to solve their mutual issues.

There really is no other option for either the Big 12 or the Pac 12. Each has unique issues that seem insurmountable unless they collaborate.

If DAZN is going to overpay for to share in TV rights they are going to want enough content to justify the expense and a ten member Big 12 doesn't deliver enough content - so with the door shut on expanding with G5 programs the only place the Big 12 could turn is the Pac 12.

The Pac 12 has its own unique issues. It has a time zone problem, a revenue problem and other issues that make the partnership with the Big 12 the only viable solution.

It's in the best interests of both conferences to find a way to work together.

As for the Big 12 its implausible to think Texas and Oklahoma have not given their blessing to exploring a relationship. Fans of both programs may like to believe otherwise but the truth is that the Longhorns and Sooners have a great thing with the Big 12.

Some type of relationship with the Pac 12 gives both OU the cachet of association with the top tier of academic schools they crave.

We could also see the T3 broadcast rights of everyone but Texas purchased by DAZN who bundles those rights with rebroadcast of the football and basketball from P12N.

As for WVU... the partnership with the Pac 12 would make Big 12 membership unsustainable in the long run without subsidies. If this relationship comes to fruition I expect WVU to land in the ACC.

In the event that WVU doesn't land in the ACC I would expect the Big 12 to exempt the Mountaineers from playing Pac 12 schools and perhaps even gift WVU with an additional travel subsidy.

The money being invested by ESPN in the ACCN and the potential investment of ESPN and a partner such as DAZN gives them clout with the conferences. I expect ESPN to facilitate WVU's entry into the ACC sooner rather than later with the Big 12's blessing.

I want to make a point of saying that no one at WVU has said anything to me about the ACC. WVU is very happy in the Big 12 and its been a mutually beneficial relationship.

My "informed opinion" that WVU will be an ACC member is based on my conversations with industry experts and others. Personally, as much as I love the Big 12, I believe that ACC membership is best for the Mountaineers.

We who support Big 12 programs should be comforted that, for the first time in a long time, the Big 12 is acting with unity to secure its profitability and long-term future.

The other 8 members of the Big 12 can ***** and moan about OU and UT all we like... but we should recognize their desire to work together with the rest of the conf to ensure the Big 12 survives and thrives.

Finally, Gordon Gee is the GOAT.

Julius Johnson‏ @JuliusJ85224635 2h2 hours ago
I don’t understand what 1 has to do with the other.There is no connection. Why would ACC invite us just because Big12 & PAC Commissioners got drunk together and came up with some sort of merger? ACC will act independently of PAC & Big 12.ND has no desire to move off of INDY FB.

Replying to @JuliusJ85224635
ESPN...

Replying to @flugempire @NebGradDubDub
Greg, Dr. Gee is the chair of the Big 12's executive committee. It's his job to secure the future of the conf. WVU isn't unhappy with the Big 12. It's the geography that's the issue. So engineering the plan that secures the conf is something Gee and WVU want to do.

Honorable people act honorably. Gee has stepped in and became the leader of the Big 12. He's the one who's calmed the waters and managed to get all 10 programs on the same page. If this works... my bet is that the Big 12 would let WVU walk early and with their blessing.

It's one thing to leave a conf in a huff... like Neb and UMD... its another to part as friends with the realization the relationship was mutually beneficial but not ultimately sustainable.

Finally, many don't know that you are the one who set me on the path to research GoRs, value and all things expansion. It was because of the fear you generated that Texas would pull out of the Big 12 that I've spent the last 8 years researching and making contacts.

Everything I've learned, all the people I've came to know and trust, they all say the same thing. There's not going to be more realignment. The economics don't support it and the networks oppose it.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 2h2 hours ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV @NebGradDubDub
But yet Gee says there will be...

The proposed partnership between the Big 12 and he Pac 12 is the only viable option for both. As for WVU, everybody would understand if the Mountaineers transferred from the Big 12 to the ACC. Nobody would be against it... especially ESPN.

But you are missing the ACC component. ACC is not expanding to 16 without Notre Dame. Notre Dame is not interested. Next expanded FB playoffs will have at least 3 spots available to non conference champs..if not all 8. ACC is not expanding in 2025.

Let me point out that I believe when I first mentioned this was in the works you panned the idea.

What idea did I panned?

I'm not a fraud. I don't have an insider who bestows knowledge upon me or claims to know the inner workings of other conferences. I've worked hard since 2011 to understand the landscape and the factors at play.

I've made contacts with access to real information and I've earned their respect by understanding the issues and by keeping my mouth shut when asked. It's to the point where I can ask a question and get it answered.

Ok Chris. But ACC is not expanding without Notre Dame. Are you saying your contacts believe Notre Dame is ready to take the ACC Football plunge and join the Conference in Football?

So please... if you are interested in legitimate discussion the benefits and drawbacks of any Big 12 - Pac 12 collusion I'm game for civil discourse. If you insist that UT and OU are not on the bus with the rest of the Big 12 then we're both wasting our time because I know better

We are having a civil discourse. But I don’t agree that there is unity in Big 12. You hint from time to time yourself there may be trouble up ahead unless Big 12 does some reforms for beyond 2025.

Gordon Gee would never chase this rabbit down a wormhole without the full blessing of the two programs that control the future of the conference. And you, as a B1G guy, should know how capable Dr. Gee is at machinations.

Here's where I remind you that Dr. Gee played a vital role in orchestrating many of the B1G moves you are so proud of. It's Dr. Gee's hand at the helm that's guiding this ship and based on his track record it will reach port and find treasure.

But in the article itself it said this attempt was not sponsored by Big 12...and Bowlsby said in article the 3 non-con games is not practical. There is no evidence OU & UT has any interest in any scheduling alliance with PAC.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 2h2 hours a
Could PAC & Big 12 do 1 game non-conference scheduling alliance?...sure. Would that actually increase the value of both Big 12 or PAC Tier 1/2 value? Probably not since most schools would just replace a P5 slot Non-Con with a PAC P5 Non-Con in their future scheduling.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 31m31 minutes ago
I’m not going to discuss the Big 12’s next TV deal or any potential/possible/probable relationship/partnership with the Big 12. There’s just too much hay to cut between hither & yither & more than one copperhead waiting for a single misstep.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 29m29 minutes ago
My final word on the matter is this... some type of merger of TV rights that produces the quantity & quality of inventory is the only viable cure for both the Big 12 & Pac 12. They have an opportunity to jump out ahead of the curve.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 26m26 minutes ago
Fortune follows the brave & the bold. I hope the powers that be in Dallas & San Francisco can set aside their egos & go boldly where no conference has gone before.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 26m26 minutes ago
As for WVU... whatever happens the Mountaineers will be more than ok. No worries.
02-27-2019 07:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goofus Offline
All American

Anybody curious how the math would work since the Big 12 and PAC-12 don't have the same number of teams?

Big 12: 10 teams X 3 games =
30 games

Pac 12: 30 games / 12 teams =
2 games for 6 teams and 3 games for 6 teams.
02-27-2019 07:47 AM
Billy Bob Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
(02-27-2019 07:44 AM)TerryD Wrote:  The Dude of West Virginia says that Texas and Oklahoma are in favor of this.

He also claims that ESPN is going to make sure that West Virginia joins the ACC along with Notre Dame joining in football.

His extensive contacts tell him so.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV

There isn't a worse source for anything regarding expansion / scheduling agreements. That guy is complete garbage, and is wrong 100% of the time.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2019 08:22 AM by Billy Bob Bearcat.)
02-27-2019 08:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.