Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA moves to change targeting and overtime rules
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
The NCAA Football Rules Committee, chaired by Stanford coach David Shaw, has approved three rules changes for 2019. The committee's word is not final, its recommendations will be voted on by the NCAA Oversight Panel on April 17th:

1) The rules for targeting will be tightened up, such that unless all the elements for targeting are present, targeting should not be called. This is supposedly in response to the targeting call that LSU linebacker Devin White received vs Mississippi State, which many thought didn't rise to the level of true targeting.

2) Targeting penalties will be enhanced. If a player is called for targeting a second time during the season, he will then miss the remainder of that game and the entirety of the next game, not just the first half.

3) Regarding OT: From the 5th overtime onwards, OT sessions will consist of single plays from the 2-point conversion line, rather than a series of downs from the other team's 25 yard line. This is to reduce injuries.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/...d92eb.html
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2019 12:20 PM by quo vadis.)
03-01-2019 06:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: NCAA moves to change targeting and overtime rules
So, they recommend changing the targeting rule to ensure that nearly all head-to-head hits are legal.
03-01-2019 06:44 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(03-01-2019 06:44 PM)Wedge Wrote:  So, they recommend changing the targeting rule to ensure that nearly all head-to-head hits are legal.

Looks that way.
03-01-2019 07:35 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-01-2019 06:34 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  The NCAA Football Rules Committee, chaired by Stanford coach David Shaw, has approved two rules changes for 2019. The committee's word is not final, its recommendations will be voted on by the NCAA Oversight Panel on April 17th:

1) The rules for targeting will be tightened up, such that unless all the elements for targeting are present, targeting should not be called. This is supposedly in response to the targeting call that LSU linebacker Devin White received vs Mississippi State, which many thought didn't rise to the level of true targeting.

2) Targeting penalties will be enhanced. If a player is called for targeting a second time during the season, he will then miss the remainder of that game and the entirety of the next game, not just the first half.

3) Regarding OT: From the 5th overtime onwards, OT sessions will consist of single plays from the 2-point conversion line, rather than a series of downs from the other team's 25 yard line. This is to reduce injuries.

That's what happens when a West Coaster heads the changes committee.

I fundamentally disagree with all 3 suggestions.

All they needed to do was change the targeting review determinations and have 2 targeting calls. Incidental targeting which is 15 yards with no ejection. This would be when the normal course of a play neither player intended to target but due to last second physical adjustments helmet to helmet contact occurred.

Then they could retain the 15 yards with ejection for those who hit helmet to helmet and deliberately launch to do so.

Having a full game and the remainder for a 2nd targeting call during a season is ridiculous. Some if it will just happen in the course of 12 games of full contact.

Then the overtime rule is patently absurd. Why wait to 5 OT's? Just make the 2nd OT require a 2pt conversion and the 3rd overtime begins the repetitive attempts.

However I truly they believe they could end most games in 1 OT if the ball was placed at the 50 for the start of the drive. That ends the swapping of field goals and makes a team have to earn their yardage and score.

I hate the idea of ending 4 quarters of equal play on a do it til you make it 2pt conversion war.

All three of these recommended changes are epic fails in my opinion!

The added full game suspension for a 2nd targeting call on a player during the season will leave a wide open door for crooked officials to keep key players out of late season games and in my opinion should be avoided at all costs.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2019 08:29 PM by JRsec.)
03-01-2019 08:24 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(03-01-2019 06:34 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Regarding OT: From the 5th overtime onwards, OT sessions will consist of single plays from the 2-point conversion line

This isn’t football. This is a slam dunk competition. Jesus.
03-01-2019 08:27 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(03-01-2019 08:24 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-01-2019 06:34 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  The NCAA Football Rules Committee, chaired by Stanford coach David Shaw, has approved two rules changes for 2019. The committee's word is not final, its recommendations will be voted on by the NCAA Oversight Panel on April 17th:

All they needed to do was change the targeting review determinations and have 2 targeting calls. Incidental targeting which is 15 yards with no ejection. This would be when the normal course of a play neither player intended to target but due to last second physical adjustments helmet to helmet contact occurred.

Then they could retain the 15 yards with ejection for those who hit helmet to helmet and deliberately launch to do so.

Having a full game and the remainder for a 2nd targeting call during a season is ridiculous. Some if it will just happen in the course of 12 games of full contact.

Then the overtime rule is patently absurd. Why wait to 5 OT's? Just make the 2nd OT require a 2pt conversion and the 3rd overtime begins the repetitive attempts.

However I truly they believe they could end most games in 1 OT if the ball was placed at the 50 for the start of the drive. That ends the swapping of field goals and makes a team have to earn their yardage and score.

I hate the idea of ending 4 quarters of equal play on a do it til you make it 2pt conversion war.

The added full game suspension for a 2nd targeting call on a player during the season will leave a wide open door for crooked officials to keep key players out of late season games and in my opinion should be avoided at all costs.

Agree, the solution to the targeting is have an incidental head to head penalty, 15 yards but no ejection.
03-02-2019 10:06 AM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(03-01-2019 08:27 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(03-01-2019 06:34 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Regarding OT: From the 5th overtime onwards, OT sessions will consist of single plays from the 2-point conversion line

They should do it from the 3rd OT on if they are serious about shortening the game.

Does this mean the end of 70 point OT games if once the 5th OT is hit all it will be is going for 2? Could be.
03-02-2019 10:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Online
Legend

(03-02-2019 10:10 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

They should do it from the 3rd OT on if they are serious about shortening the game.

Does this mean the end of 70 point OT games if once the 5th OT is hit all it will be is going for 2? Could be.

Yes, if they are going to play *four* OTs from the 25 yard line, might as well keep playing them from their.

I personally like the idea of the 2-point conversion solution, but like you I think it should be done earlier, maybe from the second OT onwards.
03-02-2019 12:02 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
I like the idea of skipping to the alternating 2-pt conversions starting with the 3OT.

If after you have played 60 minutes of regulation and 20T, and the game is still tied, both teams have had plenty of chances where 1 play could have decided the game. By that time each team has played roughly 100 plays, any of which could have decided the game if any of those plays had a different outcome.

Going to only 2-pt conversions after 2OT limits inflated scores and stats, and limits potential injuries. Both teams had plenty of chances to win the game. It's time to declare a winner and go home.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2019 12:54 PM by goofus.)
03-02-2019 12:50 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa

I think a better comparison would be that after 2 basketball teams play 4OT, they go to single alternating possessions to decide the game instead of playing another OT period.
03-02-2019 12:57 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(03-02-2019 12:57 PM)goofus Wrote:  

I think a better comparison would be that after 2 basketball teams play 4OT, they go to single alternating possessions to decide the game instead of playing another OT period.

That's an interesting idea. Another of course would be to have a 5-man free throw shooting contest or something. Where each team shoots 5 FTs, and if they are even then it is sudden death, like a soccer penalty kicks thing.
03-02-2019 01:08 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-02-2019 01:08 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(03-02-2019 12:57 PM)goofus Wrote:  

That's an interesting idea. Another of course would be to have a 5-man free throw shooting contest or something. Where each team shoots 5 FTs, and if they are even then it is sudden death, like a soccer penalty kicks thing.

Well then maybe college football should adapt the soccer and hockey method. Put your best defender on the goal line while the other team places their best back at the 20 and have a one on one run out instead of shootout. That way after full 4 quarters all losses can be blamed on a single man instead of the coach or team.

It's all B.S. I say go back to having the possibility of a tie and a lot more coaches might play for a win at the end of regulation. Besides after 4 quarters and 3 OT's it ought to be a tie anyway.
03-02-2019 01:12 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
Make the OT like the NFL. current and proposed look like high school. A tie is better than current way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
03-02-2019 05:59 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
I would say go for two from the start in OT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-02-2019 09:51 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-01-2019 06:34 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  The NCAA Football Rules Committee, chaired by Stanford coach David Shaw, has approved three rules changes for 2019. The committee's word is not final, its recommendations will be voted on by the NCAA Oversight Panel on April 17th:

Just require the 2 point conversion in the 2nd OT.
Targeting needs to be clarified, not just requiring all elements. Nobody seems to know what it is in marginal cases.
03-02-2019 09:58 PM
Baylorbears11 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Baylor
(03-02-2019 05:59 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  Make the OT like the NFL. current and proposed look like high school. A tie is better than current way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NFL overtime is the worst of any sport.
03-03-2019 12:29 AM
Advertisement

ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports

You make several points that are (pun intended) right on target. The very word for the infraction - "targeting" - implies intent. You really can't have accidental or incidental targeting. Either you meant to hit a player in a prohibited place or you didn't. Many times, watching replays where targeting was called (and even upheld) it appeared to me that the defensive player targeted a "safe" body part between the knees and the neck, only to miss his target due to the actions of the offensive player. In slow motion that could appear to be targeting when at real speed it could be seen as accidental.

More often than not, the players being ejected for targeting are defensive backs and linebackers. I would be surprised if some offensive coordinators aren't running some plays specifically designed to put key defenders at risk for ejection. That strategy only has to work once to be a success.

I am especially disturbed when a replay review to determine whether targeting has occurred takes more than a few seconds. If you had to hold up the game for several minutes to make up your mind, the answer should always be "no". It should have to be clearcut and egregious before a player is ejected.

As for OT, I have no problem with allowing some games to end in a tie. Have each team's OT possession start at the 50 yard line and require 2 point conversions after every TD. If a game is still tied after the 2nd OT, then it's a tie. Nobody deserves to lose.
03-03-2019 12:58 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(03-01-2019 06:34 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  The NCAA Football Rules Committee, chaired by Stanford coach David Shaw, has approved three rules changes for 2019. The committee's word is not final, its recommendations will be voted on by the NCAA Oversight Panel on April 17th:

Overtime should be eliminated entirely......Bring back the tie!
03-03-2019 01:21 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-03-2019 12:58 PM)ken d Wrote:  

You make several points that are (pun intended) right on target. The very word for the infraction - "targeting" - implies intent. You really can't have accidental or incidental targeting. Either you meant to hit a player in a prohibited place or you didn't. Many times, watching replays where targeting was called (and even upheld) it appeared to me that the defensive player targeted a "safe" body part between the knees and the neck, only to miss his target due to the actions of the offensive player. In slow motion that could appear to be targeting when at real speed it could be seen as accidental.

More often than not, the players being ejected for targeting are defensive backs and linebackers. I would be surprised if some offensive coordinators aren't running some plays specifically designed to put key defenders at risk for ejection. That strategy only has to work once to be a success.

I am especially disturbed when a replay review to determine whether targeting has occurred takes more than a few seconds. If you had to hold up the game for several minutes to make up your mind, the answer should always be "no". It should have to be clearcut and egregious before a player is ejected.

As for OT, I have no problem with allowing some games to end in a tie. Have each team's OT possession start at the 50 yard line and require 2 point conversions after every TD. If a game is still tied after the 2nd OT, then it's a tie. Nobody deserves to lose.

The "targeting" that shows clear intent is easily seen in fast motion or slow. I have no problem with an ejection for that. But you are absolutely correct that most of the "targeting" calls I've witnessed happened because the ball carrier tucked their heads to chest level after the DB or LB began the tackle. The two helmets hit and the yellow hankie flies. The DB/LB had no intention of trying to harm the ball carrier, just to tackle them. IMO that penalty has harmed the game.
03-03-2019 01:43 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
(03-03-2019 01:21 PM)XLance Wrote:  

Overtime should be eliminated entirely......Bring back the tie!

Nah ties suck. Ties are a show that both teams failed to beat the other. Instead a game ending as a tie counts as both teams losing.

And you thought it was desperate before lol.
03-03-2019 06:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.