Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Time For MWC To Boot San Jose State?
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Time For MWC To Boot San Jose State?
San Jose State's Poor Records

This article opinion piece points out why MWC needs to boot San Jose State.
San Jose State is pointed out need to go to the Big Sky Conference or the Big West. They might go back to the WAC to help that conference to rebuild a football conference with Dixie State.
03-01-2019 07:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: Time For MWC To Boot San Jose State?
(03-01-2019 07:23 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  San Jose State's Poor Records

San Jose State is pointed out need to go to the Big Sky Conference or the Big West. They might go back to the WAC to help that conference to rebuild a football conference with Dixie State.

No conference has booted a full member since the end of the Metro Conference screwing over USF and VCU. (Temple was a football affiliate of the Big East Conference).

And why this garbage take from August 2018 is relevant now I don't know.
03-01-2019 07:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Common topic regarding the future of the Mountain West. I don’t think San Jose St gets kicked out. There’s no obvious replacement. UTEP would it but they’ve been less than stellar for the last decade. The conference doesn’t need 12 football schools but it would be preferred. I think they stay. But IF they got the boot, I think the Mountain West invites a CUSA Texas school - any of the four. At this point, I’d prefer North Texas. Then, San Jose St goes the way of New Mexico St.
03-01-2019 07:35 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
MWC would be so much more interesting with NMSU in SJSU’s slot.
03-01-2019 08:17 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(03-01-2019 08:17 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  MWC would be so much more interesting with NMSU in SJSU’s slot.

Definitely for basketball but football? Eh. I would love to see New Mexico St in the Sun Belt as a full member. I think they’d thrive better in a conference that is rapidly getting stronger.
03-01-2019 08:35 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(03-01-2019 08:35 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(03-01-2019 08:17 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  MWC would be so much more interesting with NMSU in SJSU’s slot.

Definitely for basketball but football? Eh. I would love to see New Mexico St in the Sun Belt as a full member. I think they’d thrive better in a conference that is rapidly getting stronger.

They’ll always be between a rock and a hard place with schools who will never give them the votes in MWC and CUSA, and messing around in SBC.
03-01-2019 08:58 PM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
The Alston court case could force SJSU down eventually. The MWC wouldn't need to boot SJSU, because the Spartans would voluntarily leave.
03-01-2019 10:07 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
They could drop football and join the big west.
03-01-2019 10:34 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
The one school that's been irrelevant since I started watching college sports. Even Northwestern turns heads every so often.
03-02-2019 01:56 AM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
With 11 teams, dropping San Jose State without adding anyone would let the MWC make an 18 game balanced schedule for Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball, while allowing every team to play on the same day, which is impossible with an odd amount.
03-02-2019 08:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
San Jose State and Utah State were the last picks from the WAC by the Mountain West, and were needed to keep a hold in certain markets (the Bay Area, and Salt Lake City; the latter market is effectively the entire state of Utah). Between the Conference Championship Game requirements in place at the time, and the failed conference network, which shut down before San Jose State and Utah State joined, it's not a slam dunk those two would have been invited under today's conditions.

I'm not sure what would have happened had San Jose State and Utah State been left behind in the WAC. Idaho may have very well stayed in FBS, and of course New Mexico State would be along for the ride. Texas State, UTSA, and Louisiana Tech probably still depart for the Sun Belt and Conference USA, unless if those conferences decide 10 is the right number for them.
03-02-2019 09:23 AM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I have said that MWC 2.0 is no better than the WAC of the previous decade as its mostly the same teams and MWC left overs without BYU, TCU and Utah in it.

Will ESPN drop them entirely in the next TV deal with its new investment in the AAC? That would be my biggest question right now.
03-02-2019 09:52 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(03-01-2019 07:35 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

No conference has booted a full member since the end of the Metro Conference screwing over USF and VCU. (Temple was a football affiliate of the Big East Conference).

Good point, except it was Dayton, Virginia Tech, and VCU left out of the merger.
03-02-2019 10:03 AM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(03-02-2019 09:52 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  I have said that MWC 2.0 is no better than the WAC of the previous decade as its mostly the same teams and MWC left overs without BYU, TCU and Utah in it.

Will ESPN drop them entirely in the next TV deal with its new investment in the AAC? That would be my biggest question right now.

The MWC provides late time slot live events for ESPN networks. Most Tuesdays and Wednesdays they have a 10 or 11 pm EST tip off. How many AAC teams will have tip offs that late every week?
03-02-2019 10:57 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(03-02-2019 10:57 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(03-02-2019 09:52 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  I have said that MWC 2.0 is no better than the WAC of the previous decade as its mostly the same teams and MWC left overs without BYU, TCU and Utah in it.

The MWC provides late time slot live events for ESPN networks. Most Tuesdays and Wednesdays they have a 10 or 11 pm EST tip off. How many AAC teams will have tip offs that late every week?

That has been the MWC's traditional niche.

But what if the AAC with its central timezone teams could offer 9pm tip offs CST? It might not be quite the same time coverage as the MWC but could partially fill.

The ESPN can fill with the later hours with world's strongest man competitions or international tennis if it wanted to over second half MWC action.
03-02-2019 11:09 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(03-01-2019 10:34 PM)bluesox Wrote:  They could drop football and join the big west.

Not sure the Big West would take them. It would upset the conference’s politically-important UC-CSU balance.

The alternative would be to join the WAC, which is looking a lot more stable with its recent additions and improvement in men’s basketball.
03-02-2019 11:11 AM
Advertisement

HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(03-02-2019 08:08 AM)EvanJ Wrote:  With 11 teams, dropping San Jose State without adding anyone would let the MWC make an 18 game balanced schedule for Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball, while allowing every team to play on the same day, which is impossible with an odd amount.

Yep, with respect to basketball the MWC would be just fine with only 10 teams. The question is how football would work with 11 teams.
03-02-2019 11:17 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Football could work with 2 divisions:

West - Hawaii, San Diego State, Fresno State, Boise State, Nevada, UNLV
Mountain - Utah State, Colorado State, Air Force, New Mexico, Wyoming

Mountain Division teams play each other, then for teams from the West Division for a total of eight games. Four of the six teams in the West will have three crossover games, and then play a round-robin in their division for a total of eight games. The other two West Division teams will have four games against the Mountain Division, and then play everyone except each other inside their own division, also for a total of eight games. If you need a complete round-robin in both divisions, that winds up making nine conference games for those two schools, and eight conference games for everyone else.

The other option is to drop the conference championship game, and just play eight games with two no-plays.

More likely, the Mountain West starts having discussions with New Mexico State about football-only membership.
03-02-2019 12:14 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(03-02-2019 10:03 AM)esayem Wrote:  
(03-01-2019 07:35 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

Good point, except it was Dayton, Virginia Tech, and VCU left out of the merger.

Good point, except Dayton was never in the Metro Conference (the original topic mentioned), so it would have been hard for them to get kicked out of it. They WERE in the Great Midwest Conference, where they had only been for two years, and seemed happier to join an Atlantic 10 that included Xavier, Virginia Tech, UMass and Temple.

Also underappreciated was the guarantee to both USF and UNCC that, for agreeing to join CUSA (and thus allowing the Metro to be dissolved), they were guaranteed entry into the football version of the conference "as soon as they were eligible." When CUSA reneged on that (spearheaded by Memphis, UAB and Southern Miss), it helped create animosity between those schools and USF that has lingered for almost two decades...

USFFan
03-02-2019 12:25 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
You cannot boot an equity member of your company. And that is basically what conferences are these days.

This BTW is exactly why your stupid conference expansion ideas are terrible. You are stuck with schools for the next 100 years, or until the decide to leave. So never add a bottom dweller.

As for my old school, either the CSU charter is amended to allow freedom to be selective on admission and to have more rigorous specialties, or you will see San Jose State drop football and out of the MWC in the next 5 to 10 years -- lack of strong residential students lead to poor alumni interest. Fresno State is also in steep decline, faces similar and perhaps worse demographic trends, but they peaked a decade after us (we peaked late 80s they peaked a decade or so later), so their curve is a decade behind ours but not good either.

In a way these are survivors of the CSU collapse in the 90s, when Long Beach and Fullerton dropped 1-A football, and several D-II schools dropped Football and moved athletics to irrelevance. SJSU looks like it is just a few years away from that decision, Fresno State marching down that same road, but still has a small fire burning. IMO it's almost irreversible.

Bottom line, come 2025 the MWC wont have to do anything, SJSU will have made the decision for them. The death watch will shift to Fresno.

IMO it's the same forces of slow starvation at work in the CSU schools which have basically destroyed the MVC directional schools.
03-02-2019 01:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.