Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The conference waiver request is for two seasons - then what?
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
According to a Philadelphia newspaper the championship game waiver requested by the AAC is being made only for the 2020 and 21 seasons. If granted the AAC still has to either add a team or drop a team according to the article. First time I've heard that the request being made would be a temporary waiver only.
10-18-2019 02:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
RE: The conference waiver request is for two seasons - then what?
Then Alabama joins.
10-18-2019 02:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thedrowsyowl Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Temple
(10-18-2019 02:57 PM)8BitPirate Wrote:  Then Alabama joins.

You spelled the Patriots wrong.
10-18-2019 03:24 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
What SHOULD happen is that the AAC should find the best football school that also has reasonably good basketball and make them an all sports member.

What WILL happen is that the AAC will extend an invite to a school like App State in football and VCU in basketball and further become the Frankenconference that eventually doomed the old Big East.
10-18-2019 03:39 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(10-18-2019 02:57 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  According to a Philadelphia newspaper the championship game waiver requested by the AAC is being made only for the 2020 and 21 seasons. If granted the AAC still has to either add a team or drop a team according to the article. First time I've heard that the request being made would be a temporary waiver only.
Then we're in the Endgame...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
10-18-2019 04:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
panama Offline
Legend

(10-18-2019 03:39 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  What SHOULD happen is that the AAC should find the best football school that also has reasonably good basketball and make them an all sports member.

What WILL happen is that the AAC will extend an invite to a school like App State in football and VCU in basketball and further become the Frankenconference that eventually doomed the old Big East.
I'm sorry, you rang me?

10-18-2019 04:17 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Yankee Online
Hall of Famer

(10-18-2019 04:17 PM)panama Wrote:  
(10-18-2019 03:39 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  What SHOULD happen is that the AAC should find the best football school that also has reasonably good basketball and make them an all sports member.

I'm sorry, you rang me?

Dialed the wrong number.
10-18-2019 04:25 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(10-18-2019 02:57 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  According to a Philadelphia newspaper the championship game waiver requested by the AAC is being made only for the 2020 and 21 seasons. If granted the AAC still has to either add a team or drop a team according to the article. First time I've heard that the request being made would be a temporary waiver only.

Link

First time I've heard Aresco say publicly that they don't want to do unbalanced divisions. So it's a 2-year waiver, then a rule change, or back to 12.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2019 04:32 PM by TripleA.)
10-18-2019 04:30 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(10-18-2019 04:25 PM)Memphis Yankee Wrote:  
(10-18-2019 04:17 PM)panama Wrote:  

I'm sorry, you rang me?

Dialed the wrong number.
*hangs up*

"They'll call back after the other 4 wrong numbers... "

10-18-2019 04:31 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats

And you care...why?

And, for the record, I can say with confidence that...NO..."that's" not what will happen. The only "FB Only" additions that are possible are for schools with their Olympic Sports already housed in a "non-football" playing conference...So, BYU, Army, or maybe Air Force if they went the Summit or MVC route. Appalachian State would be an "All or Nothing" type addition.

And, YES, if we did add a BYU, Army, or Air Force "Football Only" addition, then (and only then) would a VCU "All Sports but Football" type addition be made.

But we're more likely to have Wichita State start a football program than to offer "A program like App State" a "football only" addition.

Thanks for playing, though.
10-18-2019 04:34 PM
Agust Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
i would be for subtraction. but who would be the one voted out?
10-18-2019 05:08 PM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

Ah...but ESPN...

10-18-2019 05:09 PM
Cecil_B_DeMoore Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Temple
I think Georgia State would be a workable solution.
10-18-2019 05:54 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

Imho, UAB would be a good choice after BYU, Boise, and so on.

With two years of AAC money and recruiting, UAB would be a ranked team in one of the two sports at least. Their fanbase and attendance would double. It has history with most of the conference and academically is a Tier 1 university ranked ahead of Alabama.
10-18-2019 06:27 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(10-18-2019 04:30 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

Link

First time I've heard Aresco say publicly that they don't want to do unbalanced divisions. So it's a 2-year waiver, then a rule change, or back to 12.

Yeah, Ive never heard him say that either. That would lead me to think the chances are quite high we will be adding a team soon. That said---the logic for not doing uneven divisions sounds kind of like BS--

Technically, the AAC could go to two divisions of six and five teams, but Aresco said the conference doesn’t want to do that, saying there are too many complications, and he didn’t feel there would be room for four non-conference games.

My understanding is the worst case scenario is a team might have to do a single season home and away with a conference member---but I dont see how it would affect the 4 non-conference games.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2019 06:39 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-18-2019 06:37 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(10-18-2019 06:27 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  Imho, UAB would be a good choice after BYU, Boise, and so on.

With two years of AAC money and recruiting, UAB would be a ranked team in one of the two sports at least. Their fanbase and attendance would double. It has history with most of the conference and academically is a Tier 1 university ranked ahead of Alabama.

C'mon man. UAB played all these teams just 6 years ago and nobody was showing up. They are coming off a league championship and are 5-1 right now---they barely drew 23K last week. That tells you what their potential high water mark is.

If we refuse to play uneven divisions and MUST add a team---it would be moronic to add any current CUSA, Sunbelt, or MAC team as a full member. There is no single member available from any of those conference's who is good at basketball AND football. There is no member from any of those conferences that adds value as a full member of the AAC. Im going to assume no MW schools are options and that AF is a slim possibility. Here are our smartest options in that scenario--

1) BYU, AF, or Army as football only members + VCU (non-football)

2) VCU and let UConn stay for 2 years (gives us the same 2 year breathing room as the waiver, but without a 100 year commitment to the very unexciting buffet of options currently available).

3) If we absolutely MUST add a team, and we refuse to let UConn be a 2 year temporary bandage---then add VCU and pick a CUSA/SB/MAC school as a "football only" member. That way, you just have to find a school that's pretty decent at football and the rest of their programs dont matter. The AAC ends up with a solid football program that at least is not a UConn type anchor---Plus we get a top tier basketball program in VCU.

Bascially, given the options---the best way to add value is with a split bid. Given the choices, adding any full member is a mistake.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2019 07:26 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-18-2019 06:51 PM
Advertisement

Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-18-2019 05:08 PM)Agust Wrote:  i would be for subtraction. but who would be the one voted out?

Although I do not think they will do it .. the list of schools in this conference where you would have an "addition by subtraction" would be a short one. I can think of a couple programs right now but I don't want to start a shi# war with those fans. They know who they are LOL.
10-18-2019 06:53 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
(10-18-2019 04:34 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

And you care...why?

And, for the record, I can say with confidence that...NO..."that's" not what will happen. The only "FB Only" additions that are possible are for schools with their Olympic Sports already housed in a "non-football" playing conference...So, BYU, Army, or maybe Air Force if they went the Summit or MVC route. Appalachian State would be an "All or Nothing" type addition.

And, YES, if we did add a BYU, Army, or Air Force "Football Only" addition, then (and only then) would a VCU "All Sports but Football" type addition be made.

But we're more likely to have Wichita State start a football program than to offer "A program like App State" a "football only" addition.

Thanks for playing, though.

I care because we play in the AAC at the moment and this is an AAC discussion board. Are you always this pleasant?

BYU and Army ain’t walking through that door. Air Force is a long shot, but possible (but still probably a long shot).

It looks like a hybrid combo is most likely then. The danger in expanding that way is that the AAC is stable with one basketball only and one football only at the moment as they can’t try and play tug of war with the other members. The league essentially has one mission as those schools offset with no power for either to rock the ship if they don’t like decisions. Once you give Wichita a hoop only partner and Navy a football only partner, it isn’t as harmonious a set up. Now each of these schools has an ally in their sport if they don’t like decisions about conference strategy or money distribution by the full members or the other members who play the major sport that they don’t play. So you now have three different factions (all members, hoop only group, and football only group) instead of the current membership which is pretty aligned with one another.

Just my $0.02. If I am the AAC, I find an all sports member to keep personal interests less complicated by avoiding factions.

EDIT: I forgot to address the Wichita starting a program comment. It would take years for them to get decent. Terrible UConn football with way more eyeballs watching would have been better than a start up. At least the Big Ten still considers UConn a “power” school for scheduling purposes. Granted, that only benefits them and us really. Still, perception with even bad UConn football beats propping up a start up at that level.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2019 07:11 PM by UConnHusky.)
10-18-2019 07:01 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(10-18-2019 06:51 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(10-18-2019 06:27 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  Imho, UAB would be a good choice after BYU, Boise, and so on.

C'mon man. UAB played all these teams just 6 years ago and nobody was showing up. They are coming off a league championship and are 5-1 right now---they barely drew 23K last week. That tells you what their potential high water mark is.

If we refuse to play uneven divisions and MUST add a team---it would be moronic to add any current CUSA, Sunbelt, or MAC team as a full member. There is no single member avilable from any of those conference's who is good at basketball AND football. There is no member from any of those conferences that adds value as a full member of the AAC. Here are our smartest options--

1) BYU, AF, or Army as football only members + VCU (non-football)

2) VCU and let UConn stay for 2 years (gives us the same 2 year breathing room as the waiver, but without a 100 year commitment to the very unexciting buffet of options currently available).

3) If we absolutely MUST add a team, and we refuse to UConn be a 2 year temporary bandage---then add VCU and pick a CUSA/SB/MAC school as a "football only" member. That way, you just have to find a school that's pretty decent at football and the rest of their programs dont matter. The AAC ends up with a solid football program that at least is not a UConn type anchor---Plus we get a top tier basketball program in VCU.

Bascially, given the options---the best way to add value is with a split bid. Given the choices, adding any full member is a mistake.
...says fan of school that was drawing 23k I'm CUSA....?[Image: 5d7140e34dd6ddeae51732d5c8fe759c.gif]

10-18-2019 07:03 PM
Poseidon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
The problem with UAB is Alabama will not let UAB be too successful. The ams could be said for a number of teams in the south that have glass ceilings because SEC schools political power. Evidence A is the Alabama political clout not allowing UAB to hire Jimbo Fisher when it was a done deal.
10-18-2019 07:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.