Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Sky to FBS
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Big Sky to FBS
Could the Big Sky Conference move wholesale to FBS? I just looked at the membership, and the Montanas seem to be the only schools that could be remotely competitive in FBS.
04-17-2020 02:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
RE: Big Sky to FBS
(04-17-2020 02:10 AM)Erictelevision Wrote:  Could the Big Sky Conference move wholesale to FBS? I just looked at the membership, and the Montanas seem to be the only schools that could be remotely competitive in FBS.

Boy, does NoDak have a bill of goods to sell you....
04-17-2020 03:26 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Not without some legal strong arming since the NCAA will only permit schools to come up if they have an invite to a conference.

Most of the Big Sky is no where near FBS ready. The Montana’s are. The CA schools could be with some work. I just don’t see the desire there.
04-17-2020 07:14 AM
Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty, UF
(04-17-2020 03:26 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(04-17-2020 02:10 AM)Erictelevision Wrote:  Could the Big Sky Conference move wholesale to FBS? I just looked at the membership, and the Montanas seem to be the only schools that could be remotely competitive in FBS.

Boy, does NoDak have a bill of goods to sell you....

03-rotfl
04-17-2020 07:56 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
No
Nyet
Nein
04-17-2020 09:45 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State

You just answered your own question.
04-17-2020 09:50 AM
Advertisement

MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
What's with all the click bait topics?

How about "Could the Big Sky ever go FBS?"
04-17-2020 09:52 AM
lion1983 Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Alabama
Idaho, who is in the Big Sky, just left FBS....
04-17-2020 10:00 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
You posters never ever listen. Never said the Big Sky was totally going FBS. But the Montanas, Idaho, Weber St, and EWU would join the four Dakota's and move together. Denver, Omaha, and St Thomas would stay with the Dakota's.

The Big Sky will become Idaho St, Southern Utah, Dixie St, N Col, N Ariz, Portland St, CWU, Utah Valley, Seattle, Metro St. The last three wouldnt have fb.

Cal Poly, UC Davis, and Sac St will also go FBS with the WAC + Sam Houston St, Lamar, McNeese St, Incarnate Word, UTRGV, Wichita St, Mo St. The Southland and Big Sky will undergo major revisions.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2020 10:30 AM by NoDak.)
04-17-2020 10:26 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Mont St has wiped out Mont recently and made the semifinals in FCS. Mont St updated it's seating the last time Mont made noise about FBS so it could go too. The Montana board has traditional wanted to be two schools in the same conference.
04-17-2020 10:37 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(04-17-2020 10:00 AM)lion1983 Wrote:  Idaho, who is in the Big Sky, just left FBS....

Idaho didn't have a conference it could go to and no permanent FBS rival. All that would change.
04-17-2020 10:38 AM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Why not just do away with FCS entirely and require all D-I schools to meet the same scholarship and sports sponsorship requirements? Then maybe we can do away with the perennial discussion about how many "G5" schools should get a guaranteed spot in the CFP. The answer would be a clearcut "none" as it should be.
04-17-2020 10:44 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

The ASUN is adding mostly CAA football schools with FBS aspirations and then split. FCS will be schools with no fans with football.
04-17-2020 10:45 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(04-17-2020 10:45 AM)NoDak Wrote:  The ASUN is adding mostly CAA football schools with FBS aspirations and then split. FCS will be schools with no fans with football.

With a few exceptions it already is
04-17-2020 10:49 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(04-17-2020 10:26 AM)NoDak Wrote:  You posters never ever listen. Never said the Big Sky was totally going FBS. But the Montanas, Idaho, Weber St, and EWU would join the four Dakota's and move together. Denver, Omaha, and St Thomas would stay with the Dakota's.

The Big Sky will become Idaho St, Southern Utah, Dixie St, N Col, N Ariz, Portland St, CWU, Utah Valley, Seattle, Metro St. The last three wouldnt have fb.

Cal Poly, UC Davis, and Sac St will also go FBS with the WAC + Sam Houston St, Lamar, McNeese St, Incarnate Word, UTRGV, Wichita St, Mo St. The Southland and Big Sky will undergo major revisions.

That was supposed to happen two years ago. You kept pushing the date back, then agreed to leave and never come back if it didn't happen.

Why are you back?
04-17-2020 11:40 AM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(04-17-2020 11:40 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(04-17-2020 10:26 AM)NoDak Wrote:  You posters never ever listen. Never said the Big Sky was totally going FBS. But the Montanas, Idaho, Weber St, and EWU would join the four Dakota's and move together. Denver, Omaha, and St Thomas would stay with the Dakota's.

That was supposed to happen two years ago. You kept pushing the date back, then agreed to leave and never come back if it didn't happen.

Why are you back?

St Thomas is in now? You predicted they would get kicked out of their D3 conference and attempt to bypass D2 to join the GNC????
04-17-2020 11:47 AM
Advertisement

johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns

In March 2018, in a post on this board, you said:

Quote:Don’t know what name it will be, but a rename of the Summit. Prefer Great Northern, which was a RR that helped pioneer all four states.

Idaho St simply doesn’t have the money or support beyond Pocatello.

Weber St does and has the capacity and facilities to keep up.

Denver and Omaha would be Olympic members if they choose to do so.

WIU, IPFW, and ORU will find their own spots.

The Montana’s, Idaho and Weber St would not be on an MWC move up list unless it lost six to eight members.

I originally had EWU because they seemed to be desperately trying to raise money for a new stadium, but apparently threw in the towel and their AD is now at UND, because he knows it is a promotion. Idaho posters repeatedly warned me the EWU couldn’t build in time, but didnt listen enough. Weber St has just embarked on a student study and workout addition to their stadium, which Montana just completed at their place.

The actual alignment won’t be until the 2020-21 season

The 2020-21 season is starting (or not) in a couple of months, and none of the things you assured us would happen have happened.

Have you learned anything in the last two years?
04-17-2020 11:54 AM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(04-17-2020 10:44 AM)ken d Wrote:  Why not just do away with FCS entirely and require all D-I schools to meet the same scholarship and sports sponsorship requirements? Then maybe we can do away with the perennial discussion about how many "G5" schools should get a guaranteed spot in the CFP. The answer would be a clearcut "none" as it should be.

Amen. Sorry but your comment is too intelligent for this topic.
04-17-2020 12:07 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(04-17-2020 10:44 AM)ken d Wrote:  Why not just do away with FCS entirely and require all D-I schools to meet the same scholarship and sports sponsorship requirements?

IMO, schools should be able to choose whether to be in FCS or FBS without artificial barriers (like needing an invitation from a conference) or lengthy waiting periods.

But I don't see a real-world constituency for what you suggest. It doesn't work for most of the schools in FCS unless the "merged" D-I requirements are what FCS has now. Few if any FCS schools want to have to add more varsity sports to meet the FBS minimum of 16, and they don't want to have to give at least 80 football scholarships each year (which would require them to add one or two women's sports as well). Most of them also don't want to lose the FCS playoffs; they would rather compete for FCS playoff spots than for a place in the "Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl".

And from the FBS side, many schools don't want the barriers between FBS and FCS to be lowered (see, e.g., the G5 commissioners' letter to the NCAA), and the big boys of FBS don't want the 85-football-scholarship maximum lowered to accommodate a merged set of standards.
04-17-2020 12:33 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Thanks everyone for confirming my suspicions, AND reminding me about NDSU. If the distinction between FBS and FCS is abolished, EVERY conference MUST have a path to a championship.
04-17-2020 12:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.