Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kansas St AD: 7 Contingency Plans Under Discussion
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Kansas St AD: 7 Contingency Plans Under Discussion
https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/bi...nrb=900000

Quote: Kansas State athletic director Gene Taylor says the Big 12 is currently discussing seven primary options for the upcoming football season, and he outlined them during a conversation on Friday.

Starting the season as scheduled in early September

Starting the season in late September and ending games in December

Starting the season in October and playing a conference-only schedule

Starting the season in September and playing a conference-only schedule

Waiting until 2021 and starting the season in January

Waiting until 2021 and starting the season in March

Splitting up the season with six games in the fall and six games in the spring

Taylor thinks all seven options are on the table right now, but he is more optimistic about certain plans than others. He said starting the season on time “is going to be a long shot.” He isn’t sure why teams would start the season in September and scrub all non-nonconference games. There would be many moving parts involved with a split season. And he thinks the idea of beginning the season in January is particularly far-fetched.

“This is just me talking, but playing a full season starting in January and playing through March is a crazy plan,” Taylor said. “There are some parts of the country that I’m not sure I want to go to in January and February.”

But there is no perfect plan. At least not right now.

“Some say that we should start in March and end in May, which may be a little more palatable from a weather perspective,” Taylor said. “But how are you going to handle the draft? And then you’ve got players playing all the way through May and then they are going to come back in the fall. Some of those logistics are crazy to think about.”

“We are going to talk more about it next week,” Taylor said, “and hone in on the top three or four options that we really think are feasible.”

Revised list per bolded:

05-02-2020 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
RE: Kansas St AD: 7 Contingency Plans Under Discussion
He forgot to include the possibility of aliens appearing tomorrow with the cure for COVID.
05-02-2020 01:14 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-02-2020 01:11 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/bi...nrb=900000

Quote: Kansas State athletic director Gene Taylor says the Big 12 is currently discussing seven primary options for the upcoming football season, and he outlined them during a conversation on Friday.

Taylor thinks all seven options are on the table right now, but he is more optimistic about certain plans than others. He said starting the season on time “is going to be a long shot.” He isn’t sure why teams would start the season in September and scrub all non-nonconference games. There would be many moving parts involved with a split season. And he thinks the idea of beginning the season in January is particularly far-fetched.

“This is just me talking, but playing a full season starting in January and playing through March is a crazy plan,” Taylor said. “There are some parts of the country that I’m not sure I want to go to in January and February.”

But there is no perfect plan. At least not right now.

“Some say that we should start in March and end in May, which may be a little more palatable from a weather perspective,” Taylor said. “But how are you going to handle the draft? And then you’ve got players playing all the way through May and then they are going to come back in the fall. Some of those logistics are crazy to think about.”

“We are going to talk more about it next week,” Taylor said, “and hone in on the top three or four options that we really think are feasible.”

Revised list per bolded:

Late September to December is impossible. They would be playing until Christmas and during finals.

I think starting on time is going to be impossible as well.

So that leaves two options.
05-02-2020 01:35 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(05-02-2020 01:35 PM)bullet Wrote:  Late September to December is impossible. They would be playing until Christmas and during finals.

I disagree. We have no problems playing bowl games on Christmas Eve. What would be different is there wouldn't be two weeks of no football in between Army-Navy and the first of the bowls. It would be a more or less non-stop march of football from late September clear through mid January.
05-02-2020 02:05 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
A lot of time available in early December. Cut schedule to eleven games or start September 26th. Have no open dates this season. Prepare. Be flexible. Make the decision as late as possible. Plan now so you can be ready to move with less notice. Administrators keep saying they must decide several months ahead. Baloney. They just don't want to consider other options because of some money loss or difficult logistics. I refuse to believe it is impossible. Difficult yes. For this season only they are going to have to just "let go" of the normal way of operations.
05-02-2020 02:27 PM
Hammersmith Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NDSU

Gene Taylor was our athletic director at NDSU for many years. The man knows what he's talking about. lol

On a side note, fans of UND(especially NoDak) absolutely HATE Gene Taylor. It's hilarious. While at NDSU, he nailed UND's balls to the wall after they screwed us over early in our transition to DI. One of his last acts at NDSU before leaving for Iowa State was to finally agree to play UND in football again after years of them begging for the game in the media. The deal: two games in Fargo with no games in Grand Forks for a very low guarantee amount(barely six figures each). Their fans were not impressed. [/sarcasm]

Why is this pertinent? The previous KSU AD scheduled UND for a game that was to be played this year. If the Big 12(or FBS in general) decide to cancel the non conference games, he gets to screw them again. It's about the only bright spot in this whole mess. lol
05-02-2020 02:28 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
I have no idea why they are concerned about the draft. The draft is easy to move (its been done before) and I suspect the NFL would rather wait until the season is over to draft. Its been moved a week before. Moving it 3 or 4 weeks can be done if needed. I mean---its a pandemic. I suspect other things will be altered in the NFL---so this may be no different.

I remain very skeptical that any college season will get very far. I think they will try---but the logistics for the fans is the easy part. The hard part, which I have not heard addressed in any way---is keeping nearly 14,000 FBS players, their coaching/support staffs (well over 1000 people), and families---Covid-19 free for 4 straight months. Every time there is an outbreak on a team, that team will need to be quarantined for 2 weeks---and likely the team they played the week before will have to also be quarantined. That means 4 other teams have no opponent over the following 2 weeks. It wont take long for the college football schedule to grind to halt in many places. This is what the NBA was facing in March when they shut down.

I think what happens is they start the season and it ends after maybe a month when cancellations begin to run wild and public pressure regarding player safety forces an end to the effort.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2020 02:55 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-02-2020 02:52 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
I think the most optimistic is for them to be slow starting training and therefore they will cut the first two weeks. CCGs will be delayed 1 week to allow for any cut conference games and for other teams to reschedule 1 of their missed OOC games or a new opponent.

Finals have a good chance of being delayed too.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2020 02:57 PM by Crayton.)
05-02-2020 02:56 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
I could see a conference game schedule only.
05-02-2020 03:02 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Bullet: I think it's ADORABLE you think they're worried about playing during exams!
05-02-2020 03:08 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
What is totally infeasible about playing in January, aside from those at Buffalo, the Big Sky and MVFC conferences?

Can the ACC play in January? Syracuse is indoors, so sure.
Big 12? Outside of Iowa State, doable.
Big 10? Difficult but not impossible.
Pac-12? Colorado and Utah may be trading some home games, but possible.
SEC? Duh.
05-02-2020 05:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
Minnesota could play at US Bank Stadium in January-March. IU and Purdue could use Lucas Oil. But what they are worried about are snow storms. Flying a basketball group of 30 is tough enough, but a football group of a couple hundred?
05-02-2020 06:02 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
(05-02-2020 01:14 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  He forgot to include the possibility of aliens appearing tomorrow with the cure for COVID.

You have a point given the perplexity of the situation. A second wave of the COVID-19 outbreak is expected by medical experts to happen at some point during the fall (perhaps early winter). While the infection rate is leveling-off in some locales currently, few downward trends are being substantially sustained at this point.

Concur, until a promising COVID-19 vaccine is developed and distributed, or highly effective treatment medications are found, none of the options look optimistic. Testing remains inadequate on a large scale..

Another cycle of colleges and universities shutting down again after fall classes start due to outbreaks, can't be outright dismissed.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2020 06:19 PM by OdinFrigg.)
05-02-2020 06:17 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-02-2020 02:05 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(05-02-2020 01:35 PM)bullet Wrote:  Late September to December is impossible. They would be playing until Christmas and during finals.

I disagree. We have no problems playing bowl games on Christmas Eve. What would be different is there wouldn't be two weeks of no football in between Army-Navy and the first of the bowls. It would be a more or less non-stop march of football from late September clear through mid January.

They barely keep a lot of their players eligible as is. Having them in full practice during finals is a non-starter.
05-02-2020 08:03 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(05-02-2020 08:03 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(05-02-2020 02:05 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

They barely keep a lot of their players eligible as is. Having them in full practice during finals is a non-starter.

Not everybody is trying to hustle through functionally illiterate players.
05-02-2020 08:23 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(05-02-2020 01:14 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  He forgot to include the possibility of aliens appearing tomorrow with the cure for COVID.

Those aliens can come to my house, and give me the winning Florida or Georgia lottery ticket 05-stirthepot
05-02-2020 11:20 PM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(05-02-2020 03:08 PM)Erictelevision Wrote:  Bullet: I think it's ADORABLE you think they're worried about playing during exams!

Ever been on a campus during finals? The faster you can leave, you go. It’s more a concern nobody will show up in the stands.

I will never forget the year Villanova won the FCS title, and that dreary afternoon game they hosted UNH in December as finals were wrapping/wrapped. The stadium was about one of only a few buildings on campus with the lights on. Stands were bare. Not even 3K at the game. To this day, it has cemented why I think FBS resists a bigger playoff. It’s where the season playoff should go if you have more than four teams, but campuses clock out.

COVID and this shut-in or no, come the holidays, which finals ring in, the last place anyone wants to be is on a college campus.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2020 06:33 AM by The Cutter of Bish.)
05-03-2020 06:25 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Another option is The University of Northern Iowa has a 13,000 seat domed stadium.

University of Iowa or ISU could maybe play there in January.
05-03-2020 06:51 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
I say play the first month without fans and go from there
05-03-2020 08:31 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(05-03-2020 08:31 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  I say play the first month without fans and go from there

I’m one who thinks we could have had empty venues for sporting events. But for the college revenue sports, the crowds are key to a good chunk of change. If schools can’t get people into the stadiums, they won’t play.
05-03-2020 08:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.