Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Akron Eliminates 6 of 11 Colleges as a Result of Covid-19
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Akron Eliminates 6 of 11 Colleges as a Result of Covid-19
Hard to se how this doesnt eventually filter down to massive athletic budget changes.

AKRON, Ohio – University of Akron President Gary Miller said in a video message Monday that the university’s plan to offset $65 to $70 million in decreased revenue due to the coronavirus pandemic includes cutting six of its 11 colleges.

https://www.cleveland.com/education/2020...demic.html
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2020 10:11 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-05-2020 10:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Akron Eliminates 6 of 11 Colleges as a Result of Covid-19
The 11 colleges:
  1. Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences
  2. College of Applied Science and Technology
  3. College of Business Administration
  4. College of Engineering
  5. College of Health Professions
  6. College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering
  7. Graduate School
  8. School of Law
  9. LeBron James Family Foundation College of Education
  10. Williams Honors College
  11. Wayne College campus in Orrville

My guesses:

Eliminated
Graduate School (doesn't need to be its own college)
Williams Honors College (ditto)
Wayne College campus in Orrville (baggage)
School of Law (Not something Akron excels in -- this is Case Western Reserve territory)

Down to 7.

Merged
College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering -> College of Engineering (Vital to Akron's rubber and tire industry -- why do you think Akron's famous stadium was named The Rubber Bowl?)

Split
College of Applied Science and Technology -> Buchtel College of Arts & Sciences
College of Applied Science and Technology -> College of Engineering

1. Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences
  2. College of Business Administration
  3. College of Engineering
  4. College of Health Professions
  5. LeBron James Family Foundation College of Education
05-05-2020 10:28 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(05-05-2020 10:08 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Hard to se how this doesnt eventually filter down to massive athletic budget changes.

AKRON, Ohio – University of Akron President Gary Miller said in a video message Monday that the university’s plan to offset $65 to $70 million in decreased revenue due to the coronavirus pandemic includes cutting six of its 11 colleges.

The article says the plan is to reduce the athletic budget by 20%. Akron already has a very small budget-- more to come in the next few weeks.
05-05-2020 10:31 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Eliminates over paid administrators by consolidating.

07-coffee3
05-05-2020 11:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
If the pandemic were metaphorically a really hot day, I'd say we're dangerously close to hyponatremia trying to prevent dehydration.
05-05-2020 11:17 AM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
Not surprising at all since in 2018 they cut 80 degree programs (19% overall) and in 2019 offered 47% of their faculty and administrators voluntary early retirement.
05-05-2020 11:27 AM
Advertisement

MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Well, you have to think of future donations. Lawyers make money. Grad studies and honors can go back to individual colleges. Tech can be split between Arts and Sciences and Engineering.

Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences
College of Business Administration
College of Engineering
College of Health Professions
School of Law
LeBron James Family Foundation College of Education
05-05-2020 12:03 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
The move to FBS and the MAC was thiry years too late.
05-05-2020 12:13 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(05-05-2020 12:03 PM)MU88 Wrote:  Well, you have to think of future donations. Lawyers make money. Grad studies and honors can go back to individual colleges. Tech can be split between Arts and Sciences and Engineering.

College of Engineering
School of Law

Yeah - that seems like how it would break down. I highly doubt that they’d eliminate the School of Law since that would entail getting rid of JD degrees entirely as opposed to eliminating administrative bloat.

It’s hard for me to see how they can merge any of the 6 colleges that you listed above into one another. There’s likely no way that you can eliminate a named college (as LeBron has with the College of Education) without having to return some or all of the donation. The other colleges also seem to make sense in terms of being separated, so I’m not sure which other college they could realistically eliminate here. Health, education, engineering, law and business all require pretty specific administrators and personnel, so they don’t lend themselves to being easily eliminated as, say, the Graduate College or Honors College.
05-05-2020 12:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(05-05-2020 12:03 PM)MU88 Wrote:  Well, you have to think of future donations. Lawyers make money. Grad studies and honors can go back to individual colleges. Tech can be split between Arts and Sciences and Engineering.

College of Engineering
School of Law

That's what I'd consider most likely. Law schools are profit centers, even if they're not very good. Although we could surely do with fewer law schools nationwide, so I won't be upset if it does close.
05-05-2020 01:12 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
Honestly if it was not for the LeBron James connection the college of education would be one I would have considered only because that is one of the colleges that directly competes against Kent State. Kent State started as a normal college and so having Akron trying to compete against that is probably a mistake at this point.
05-05-2020 01:24 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(05-05-2020 10:31 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(05-05-2020 10:08 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Hard to se how this doesnt eventually filter down to massive athletic budget changes.

The article says the plan is to reduce the athletic budget by 20%. Akron already has a very small budget-- more to come in the next few weeks.

Right---but they cut the number of colleges by over 50%. I just have a sneaking suspicion it may end up being well over 20%. That said---20% is a lot for G5 schools who are all already trying to do more with less.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2020 01:35 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-05-2020 01:33 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(05-05-2020 11:27 AM)Renandpat Wrote:  Not surprising at all since in 2018 they cut 80 degree programs (19% overall) and in 2019 offered 47% of their faculty and administrators voluntary early retirement.

Yeah, totally not surprised with this one. Well, they extended an olive branch before swinging the axe.

Keeping athletics at FBS level is going to be a very difficult sell. And amongst the low hanging fruit impacted faculty and staff will have to criticize.
05-06-2020 05:42 AM
Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly
(05-05-2020 01:24 PM)Sultan of Euphonistan Wrote:  Honestly if it was not for the LeBron James connection the college of education would be one I would have considered only because that is one of the colleges that directly competes against Kent State. Kent State started as a normal college and so having Akron trying to compete against that is probably a mistake at this point.

Agreed... LeBron's contribution has probably saved UAs education department. Ironic how it has upstaged the in state historical normal schools programs.
05-06-2020 06:02 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

Believe it when it happens. This could just be a "cry for help" to supporters and the state legislature.
05-06-2020 10:27 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(05-06-2020 10:27 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Believe it when it happens. This could just be a "cry for help" to supporters and the state legislature.

They have no status in the state legislature.

Ohio might be able to pull it off as they did in the 70's plea for help that resulted in getting a medical school. Its always been a favorite pet of the state for a variety of reasons.
05-06-2020 11:23 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(05-06-2020 11:23 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  
(05-06-2020 10:27 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

They have no status in the state legislature.

Ohio might be able to pull it off as they did in the 70's plea for help that resulted in getting a medical school. Its always been a favorite pet of the state for a variety of reasons.

Cant really speak to that---but I can say what Ive seen in Texas is political sway within a state often hinges on a single position being held by a key individual. If a key guy leaves or dies---that can often change the entire political landscape on any given issue in a state legislature.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2020 02:14 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-06-2020 02:13 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
States are running huge deficits. NY is $13.6B, Minnesota went from $1.6B surplus to $2.4B deficit, California from potentially $24B surplus to $35B deficit. Ohio is relatively small $1B projected. California is asking the Feds to loan them $6B for UI payments, as they have run out of funds.

I suspect that many of these budget deficits are going to get worse before the end of the year, much worse. California's tax revenue stream is titled heavily, so suffers wilder swings than other states. For scale the California budget is $156B. So almost a 25% deficit.

I think we are only seeing the start of cuts to education and state government employees in general. That will be a coming surge of unemployed.
05-06-2020 02:37 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Akron was losing students. Attendance dropped 7% before this. It's a pattern throughout the Midwest for directional schools.
05-06-2020 02:38 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Removing Akron does create a nice JMU/Marshall sized hole in the MAC.
05-06-2020 02:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.