Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA grants a few of the G5 waiver requests
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
NCAA grants a few of the G5 waiver requests
Though the request to waive the D-I minimum number of required sports was rejected, a few of the requested waivers will be given, for one year.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med...r-requests
Quote:The committee voted to grant blanket waivers for all Division I members for one year to allow:

-- Basketball and football student-athletes to participate in currently defined summer athletic activities without being enrolled in summer school.
-- Schools to provide less than the currently legislated minimum financial aid requirements to maintain membership in Division I. This waiver does not provide relief from other financial aid rules, including financial aid commitments to prospective and current student-athletes or regulations related to the cancellation or reduction of financial aid.
-- Reclassifying schools to count as Division I opponents in the first year of the reclassification process, whether or not the school meets Division I scheduling requirements.

Also, a few recruiting rules were waived for a year, as noted in the linked article.
05-06-2020 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: NCAA grants a few of the G5 waiver requests
(05-06-2020 04:42 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Though the request to waive the D-I minimum number of required sports was rejected, a few of the requested waivers will be given, for one year.

Quote:The committee voted to grant blanket waivers for all Division I members for one year to allow:

-- Basketball and football student-athletes to participate in currently defined summer athletic activities without being enrolled in summer school.
-- Schools to provide less than the currently legislated minimum financial aid requirements to maintain membership in Division I. This waiver does not provide relief from other financial aid rules, including financial aid commitments to prospective and current student-athletes or regulations related to the cancellation or reduction of financial aid.
-- Reclassifying schools to count as Division I opponents in the first year of the reclassification process, whether or not the school meets Division I scheduling requirements.

Also, a few recruiting rules were waived for a year, as noted in the linked article.

All of those were basically uncontroversial. Of the two controversial proposals - cutting other sports and staying D1 and freezing movement to and from FBS - one was rejected out of hand and the other has not been acted on.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2020 09:27 AM by quo vadis.)
05-06-2020 04:58 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-06-2020 04:58 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(05-06-2020 04:42 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Though the request to waive the D-I minimum number of required sports was rejected, a few of the requested waivers will be given, for one year.

All of those were basically uncontroversial. Of the two controversial proposals - cutting other sports and staying D1 and freeing movement to and from FBS - one was rejected out of hand and the other has not been acted on.

IMO, lowering the required minimum number of sports in D-I or FBS should not be a matter of giving everyone a long-term waiver of the rule without thinking much about it.

The process should be that someone offers a specific proposed rule change for a different minimum, then everyone has a chance to weigh in on it, and then there's a vote on that proposal.
05-06-2020 07:35 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
Yeah, that's the way an ambit claim works ... you ask for more than you expect to receive since it's even less likely that you'll get it if you don't ask.
05-06-2020 11:53 PM
Hammersmith Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NDSU

As a fan of a Summit member, I like the bolded section. Makes me think the DIII to DI legislation is still likely to happen this summer.
05-07-2020 10:28 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-07-2020 10:28 AM)Hammersmith Wrote:  

As a fan of a Summit member, I like the bolded section. Makes me think the DIII to DI legislation is still likely to happen this summer.

The part you bolded helps the schools in conferences that are bringing in D-I moveups who start transitioning in 2020-21. For example, Big West members will be able to count 2020-21 games vs. UC San Diego as Division I contests.

The Summit will need to ask the NCAA to extend that rule to future years to take advantage of it.
05-07-2020 01:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.