Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NMSU AD on WAC FBS FB "It's on the docket to be discussed..there's some smoke there"
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
NMSU AD on WAC FBS FB "It's on the docket to be discussed..there's some smoke there"
Final 12 minutes of podcast...actual quote is around 19-minute mark.
05-08-2020 09:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF Knights
RE: NMSU AD on WAC FBS FB "It's on the docket to be discussed..there's some smoke...
How would the WAC be able to restart FBS football?
05-08-2020 10:26 AM
Bobcat2013 Online
All American

I Root For: Texas State
RE: NMSU AD on WAC FBS FB "It's on the docket to be discussed..there's some smoke...
(05-08-2020 10:26 AM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  How would the WAC be able to restart FBS football?

Can I talk to you for a moment about our lords and cfb realignment prophets DavidSt and NoDak and the Great Northern Conference?
05-08-2020 10:40 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(05-08-2020 10:26 AM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  How would the WAC be able to restart FBS football?

I’m thinking FCS is the only way. Either New Mexico St drops down or chooses to remain FBS. Let’s say they drop, other schools with football: Dixie St and Tarleton St. That’s it - 3. Perhaps the Big Sky wants to shed UC Davis and Cal Poly as affiliates? Perhaps San Diego could offer scholarships and join for football? That would still only be 6 assuming New Mexico St dropped down.
05-08-2020 10:41 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: NMSU AD on WAC FBS FB "It's on the docket to be discussed..there's some smoke there"
At one point, Moccia mentions the time when NMSU hired a realignmentologist, which we had a thread about here on CSNbbs.
05-08-2020 11:00 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
RE: NMSU AD on WAC FBS FB "It's on the docket to be discussed..there's some smoke there"
UTRGV to restart their football program? They did had the sport when they were a JC.

Dixie State planned to build a 15,000 seat stadium.

Lamar, Midwestern State and West Texas A&M could be some others.
05-08-2020 11:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

(05-08-2020 11:02 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  UTRGV to restart their football program? They did had the sport when they were a JC.

Dixie State planned to build a 15,000 seat stadium.

Lamar, Midwestern State and West Texas A&M could be some others.

I could see Midwestern St and West Texas A&M but Lamar isn’t leaving the Southland
05-08-2020 11:11 AM
Hammersmith Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NDSU

It was an extreme hypothetical he was raising(after being asked directly about it). He mentioned UMass, UConn and Liberty. If they got the four of them(inc. NMSU) and maybe a few other move ups, they probably think there's a chance.

But if you listen to his tone of voice, it does not sound likely at all. At one point, he says. "It's not impossible," and he puts a little bit of emphasis on the 'im'. Like you do when you say something's not impossible, but very, very improbable.

I'd guess the conversation they'll have at their WAC meeting will mostly be asking current and transitioning members if they're interested in FBS football, and then deciding whether or not to send feelers out to Liberty, UMass and UConn. If they do and get a positive response back from all of them, they would then have to ask around the Big Sky, Southland and MVFC to see if anyone else is interested. Lots and lots of dominoes would have to fall just right for it to happen, and it most certainly wouldn't happen right away.

How probable is it? Turn it into a math problem. Ask yourself what are the percentage odds that at least two current or transitioning WAC members are interested in FBS. Then ask yourself how probable it is that each of UMass, UConn and Liberty would be interested in joining an FBS WAC. Finally, ask yourself how likely it is that at least two other Big Sky/MVFC/Southland schools would be interested in moving up. Convert all those percentages to decimal, multiply them together, then convert the result back to percentage. There's your answer.
05-08-2020 11:18 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(05-08-2020 11:18 AM)Hammersmith Wrote:  

It was an extreme hypothetical he was raising(after being asked directly about it). He mentioned UMass, UConn and Liberty. If they got the four of them(inc. NMSU) and maybe a few other move ups, they probably think there's a chance.

But if you listen to his tone of voice, it does not sound likely at all. At one point, he says. "It's not impossible," and he puts a little bit of emphasis on the 'im'. Like you do when you say something's not impossible, but very, very improbable.

I'd guess the conversation they'll have at their WAC meeting will mostly be asking current and transitioning members if they're interested in FBS football, and then deciding whether or not to send feelers out to Liberty, UMass and UConn. If they do and get a positive response back from all of them, they would then have to ask around the Big Sky, Southland and MVFC to see if anyone else is interested. Lots and lots of dominoes would have to fall just right for it to happen, and it most certainly wouldn't happen right away.

How probable is it? Turn it into a math problem. Ask yourself what are the percentage odds that at least two current or transitioning WAC members are interested in FBS. Then ask yourself how probable it is that each of UMass, UConn and Liberty would be interested in joining an FBS WAC. Finally, ask yourself how likely it is that at least two other Big Sky/MVFC/Southland schools would be interested in moving up. Convert all those percentages to decimal, multiply them together, then convert the result back to percentage. There's your answer.

Sounds a lot like they would discuss having the minimum 8 football members for more of a scheduling agreement disguised as a conference
05-08-2020 11:22 AM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

(05-08-2020 11:22 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(05-08-2020 11:18 AM)Hammersmith Wrote:  

Sounds a lot like they would discuss having the minimum 8 football members for more of a scheduling agreement disguised as a conference

I could see a scheduling agreement, yes (sort of already doing that with those FBS independents now). But joining a conference to make this happen... eh... I dunno. If any current or future WAC members have FBS aspirations this may be an option, but wouldn't they need to get 6-8 members that are FBS now to kick-start the whole thing?

I guess you could get...

NMSU
UMass
Liberty

BYU would not be interested AT ALL.

UConn also would not be interested at all as they would much rather play an independent schedule with regional rivals.

Army obviously wouldn't want to join either.

So really you have 3... just three in NMSU, UMass, and Liberty (had Idaho not dropped down they could've been #4), so unless several others are able to move up as independents (ala Liberty) I don't see it having a chance in hell to happen as an FBS conference sadly. I'd love to see it happen, but don't see it possible. If they could get the bare minumum to be an FBS conference (I think 6 is the bare minimum is it not?).. then MAYBE they could fill out with other potential move-ups that might join for football only. In its current state, starting FCS football in the conference or continuing to not sponsor football makes the most sense.
05-08-2020 12:26 PM
TDenverFan Online
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
It seems like these schools have a defacto scheduling agreement as is, I think they'd rather keep that than create a whole new conference.

Maybe you could get a few northeast/mid Atlantic FCS move-ups and do something with UMass, UConn, and Liberty (Maybe also Army), but even that seems like the longest of long shots.
05-08-2020 12:34 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(05-08-2020 10:40 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

Can I talk to you for a moment about our lords and cfb realignment prophets DavidSt and NoDak and the Great Northern Conference?

DavidSt said I'm entirely goofy and said he tried to talk sense Into me, so David
St doesn't want this idea associated with him.
05-08-2020 12:46 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(05-08-2020 12:34 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  It seems like these schools have a defacto scheduling agreement as is, I think they'd rather keep that than create a whole new conference.

Maybe you could get a few northeast/mid Atlantic FCS move-ups and do something with UMass, UConn, and Liberty (Maybe also Army), but even that seems like the longest of long shots.

Full .e.bershjp is worth $2million. Not. Many schools turning that down.dfçç
05-08-2020 12:51 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Correct me if I’m wrong, but to be a formal FBS conference don’t 8 of the football members also have to be full members?
05-08-2020 01:02 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Actually it sounds more like a discussion item with 2 (Dixie State, Tarleton State), possibly 3 (UTRGV) football schools. Mochia said that in almost the same breath as looking for another conference. A lot of "maybe" in that. As in maybe a Big Sky or SLC school might want to move up to FBS. Then he threw out the absurd UConn, UMass and Liberty, as if they would have interest in a conference with NMSU, let alone Dixie State and Tarleton State. That is how pie in the sky BS it was.

But really this was a known discussion for the FCS schools who joined, Hurd has mentioned as much before. Schools in the SLC and Big Sky are very far from FBS capable, even before the current virus situation.

What was interesting in the conversation was Mochia saying UTRGV had hired Oliver Luck and Mack Brown to investigate football. This is probably what the announcement on the 11th will be about. Perhaps they are FBS focused, or maybe FCS with the SLC in mind. New Orleans place is shaky since they had a study on football, an announcement they would be exploring it, and no football. UTRGV and Tarleton could perhaps replace UNO down the road.
05-08-2020 01:10 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
The only way this could have happened, and it would have been a long shot:

Before they added Dixie St. and Tarletan St., two programs with no business being D1, they should have reached out to BYU again. BYU plus seven of the top MWC schools to form a new version of the MWC without the football fat. Football revenue would not be shared with the non-football members. Sure, NMSU is included, but their basketball makes it worth it. Then simply vote out Chicago St.

Hypothetically you’d have:

Air Force
Colorado St.
Wyoming
BYU
Boise
San Diego St.
UNLV
New Mexico
NMSU
*Cal Baptist
*Grand Canyon
*Seattle
*UTRGV
*Utah Valley

*non-football
05-08-2020 01:22 PM
Advertisement

Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

(05-08-2020 01:22 PM)esayem Wrote:  The only way this could have happened, and it would have been a long shot:

Before they added Dixie St. and Tarletan St., two programs with no business being D1, they should have reached out to BYU again. BYU plus seven of the top MWC schools to form a new version of the MWC without the football fat. Football revenue would not be shared with the non-football members. Sure, NMSU is included, but their basketball makes it worth it. Then simply vote out Chicago St.

Air Force
Colorado St.
Wyoming
BYU
Boise
San Diego St.
UNLV
New Mexico
NMSU
*Cal Baptist
*Grand Canyon
*Seattle
*UTRGV
*Utah Valley

*non-football

Interesting concept to try to poach from the MWC, however, BYU never would've joined. They would've been the lynch-pin for this to have worked (they could've just joined the MWC directly if they wanted to). I think what needed to happen was the WAC needed to replace the defecting members ASAP back in 2010-2013 period, still not sure why they let it decline to just NMSU and Idaho (where was their initiative to invite the Big Sky members for example?). Could've seen them backfill with Montana, Montana St, NAU, Sacramento St, Portland St, others. Maybe this was tried and I am just unaware, or could expanded east (as they did anyway partly with UTSA) to get more call ups. UTSA? Texas St? Missouri St? anyone else from SunBelt possibly?
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2020 01:33 PM by Once a Knight....)
05-08-2020 01:31 PM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(05-08-2020 01:22 PM)esayem Wrote:  The only way this could have happened, and it would have been a long shot:

Air Force
Colorado St.
Wyoming
BYU
Boise
San Diego St.
UNLV
New Mexico
NMSU
*Cal Baptist
*Grand Canyon
*Seattle
*UTRGV
*Utah Valley

*non-football

Why in the heck would any of the MWC want this? It would serve no purpose for them and be a downgrade. If they really wanted any of them to be conference mates, they could just invite them.

This is DavidSt level
05-08-2020 01:35 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(05-08-2020 01:35 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

Air Force
Colorado St.
Wyoming
BYU
Boise
San Diego St.
UNLV
New Mexico
NMSU
*Cal Baptist
*Grand Canyon
*Seattle
*UTRGV
*Utah Valley

*non-football

Why in the heck would any of the MWC want this? It would serve no purpose for them and be a downgrade. If they really wanted any of them to be conference mates, they could just invite them.

This is DavidSt level

Thanks for the complement!

The purpose was to create a football conference that would be more appealing than the current MWC due to a greater payout with BYU and less mouths to feed. Make sense?
05-08-2020 01:44 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(05-08-2020 01:10 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  What was interesting in the conversation was Mochia saying UTRGV had hired Oliver Luck and Mack Brown to investigate football. This is probably what the announcement on the 11th will be about. Perhaps they are FBS focused, or maybe FCS with the SLC in mind. New Orleans place is shaky since they had a study on football, an announcement they would be exploring it, and no football. UTRGV and Tarleton could perhaps replace UNO down the road.

Moccia misspoke. Mack Brown was involved in the UTRGV football feasibility study which started in 2016 and I think ended in 2018. Brown was hired at UNC as the head coach in November of 2018. As far as I know, UTRGV never made a decision on football. So, for UTRGV to decide to go with football now, considering the environment we are in today and the likely budgets cuts, makes no sense. They may decide to go with football at some point down the road, especially with a growing enrollment that is expected to reach 40,000 in the next decade, but not at this point in time.
05-08-2020 02:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.