Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

History of members being voted out of conferences
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
History of members being voted out of conferences
Temple football was voted out of the Big East around 2003 or so, but that was just for football, not for full membership. Likewise, the option to end UMass's football relationship with the MAC was exercised in the mid 2010's. Idaho and NMSU's respective football only contracts with the Sun Belt were not renewed around the same time.

Outside of those football only relationships, the only full membership vote-outs I know of are these:

- Charlotte and Saint Louis being sent packing to the A-10 from C-USA in 2005.
- Va. Tech and VCU being left out of C-USA in the Metro/Great Midwest merger
- St. Thomas being voted out of their D3 conference

Are there any other examples?

Also, feel free to correct any mistakes I listed above.
07-05-2020 09:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
RE: History of members being voted out of conferences
Was Temple actually voted out of Big East football? I believe they had a contractual obligation for a minimum attendance number.
07-05-2020 09:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Not voted out, but Dayton was also left out of the Great Midwest/Metro merger.
07-05-2020 09:09 AM
Hammersmith Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NDSU
I don't think it ever came to a formal vote, but I believe Chicago State was told to leave the MidCon or face such a vote back in the early 2000s.
07-05-2020 09:13 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
Texas Pan-American was kicked out of the Sun Belt

https://www.espn.com/ncb/preview2000/292.html

Quote: Make no mistake, Hoffman inherits a mess. In 1996, Texas-Pan American lost its NCAA certification after charges that two assistant coaches helped recruits with correspondence course work. The certification was restored in 1998, but then the school was unceremoniously kicked out of the Sun Belt Conference, forcing it to endure Division I purgatory as an independent.
07-05-2020 09:24 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(07-05-2020 09:06 AM)chargeradio Wrote:  Was Temple actually voted out of Big East football? I believe they had a contractual obligation for a minimum attendance number.

Temple was kicked out of full membership in the Big East Football Conference, which had a separate corporate existence from the all-sports Big East Conference, sort of like the Missouri Valley Football Conference today. (I think the two charters merged during the 2003-05 reorganization).
07-05-2020 09:38 AM
Advertisement

gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
were VCU & SLU technically voted out? Didn't they leave on their own when Depaul Marquette Louisville, USF and Cincy were invited to the BE?
if I remember correctly Army FB and TCU left around the same time.
IMO Dayton stands out as being treated the worst. Everyone (almost everyone) left the Great Midwest and didn't invite them along
07-05-2020 10:08 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
MAC expelled Marshall in 1969.

https://www.huntingtonquarterly.com/arti...ready.html
Huntington Quarterly article from 1997:

Quote:To many, it seems almost inconceivable that Marshall would return to the conference that kicked it out nearly 28 years ago. But to others who don't know about the reasons for that disastrous time in Thundering Herd sports history, this is the right move. Bygones are bygones, they say. Forgive and forget. So, two years after accepting the MAC's invitation to rejoin, Marshall is back. Back in the MAC.

Who would have thought it possible? Thinking back to 1969, probably no one. On and off the field it was a depressing time in Marshall football history, those late 1960s. At one point, the team registered a 27-game non-winning streak. The 1968 Thundering Herd, in its last season as a Mid-American Conference member, posted a 0-9-1 record and was outscored by its opponents 358-129. It all culminated when the university was suspended indefinitely from the MAC, its punishment for allegedly committing more than 140 recruiting violations. It wasn't uncommon for a recruit or a Marshall player back then to find money in an envelope under his plate after eating a meal, says former Marshall player Nate Ruffin.
07-05-2020 10:38 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
The MAC very nearly voted Eastern Michigan out in the eighties if i recall correctly. It failed and EMU went on to win the MAC a year or two later.

Funny how the MAC, a conference so known for stability nowadays, does have a past full of the complete opposite. After all we were very nearly knocked down to DI-AA during the great split.
07-05-2020 11:37 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(07-05-2020 11:37 AM)Love and Honor Wrote:  The MAC very nearly voted Eastern Michigan out in the eighties if i recall correctly. It failed and EMU went on to win the MAC a year or two later.

And EMU dispatched every single school that voted against them.
07-05-2020 11:48 AM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(07-05-2020 11:37 AM)Love and Honor Wrote:  The MAC very nearly voted Eastern Michigan out in the eighties if i recall correctly. It failed and EMU went on to win the MAC a year or two later.

Funny how the MAC, a conference so known for stability nowadays, does have a past full of the complete opposite. After all we were very nearly knocked down to DI-AA during the great split.

Stability and traditional college towns something the "metro" conferences think lacks innovation.
07-05-2020 11:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Did University of Chicago got booted out of the Big 10 in the 1940s for dropping sports during the war?
07-05-2020 12:01 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(07-05-2020 10:08 AM)gosports1 Wrote:  were VCU & SLU technically voted out? Didn't they leave on their own when Depaul Marquette Louisville, USF and Cincy were invited to the BE?
if I remember correctly Army FB and TCU left around the same time.
IMO Dayton stands out as being treated the worst. Everyone (almost everyone) left the Great Midwest and didn't invite them along

They formed CUSA in 1994 and kept adding schools and eventually decided they needed an existing conference instead of starting from scratch. They used the Metro. The two Virginia schools who hadn't already found a home were asked to leave.

Legally they were kicked out, but it was really more like GMW and Metro schools and others forming a new conference. It had more similarity to the forming of the Mountain West or the AAWU (when the 4 California schools and UW left WSU, Oregon, Oregon St. and Idaho behind) than it did the Big East kicking out Temple or Sun Belt kicking out UT Pan Am.
07-05-2020 12:05 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
Charlotte and St Louis were told to look for another home when C-USA 2.0 was going to get new members for the 2005 season. Britton Banowski didn’t want football only and non football schools. Don’t know if Army was shown the door or they decided C-USA 2.0 wasn’t for them and decided independence was a better option.
07-05-2020 12:10 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
UMass was given a "all or nothing" ultimatum by the MAC, which was all but voting them out. Yes, the final decision was up to UMass, but the condition (leave the A-10 for basketball) largely made it impossible for UMass to realistically meet the MAC demand. They were pretty much kicked out so the MAC wouldnt have to add #14.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2020 12:18 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-05-2020 12:18 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
My understanding is that UMass had that ultimatum when they joined. Temple leaving just started the official clock, right?
07-05-2020 12:24 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
To me, being left out of a merger is not the same as being voted out of a conference.
07-05-2020 01:11 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
St. Thomas was forcibly evicted from the MIAC.

"School kicked out of Division III conference for winning too much"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/20...-i-invite/
07-05-2020 01:21 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(07-05-2020 12:24 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  My understanding is that UMass had that ultimatum when they joined. Temple leaving just started the official clock, right?

That's what I recall. The deal between UMass and the MAC was that if the MAC offered UMass full membership, and UMass turned down the offer, the football affiliation was terminated. After Temple left, the MAC made the offer, UMass said no, and thus became a football indy.
07-05-2020 01:25 PM
dxdtdemon Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: OSU, Wright St.
(07-05-2020 12:01 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Did University of Chicago got booted out of the Big 10 in the 1940s for dropping sports during the war?

The university president had ended athletics altogether in 1939 because he was completely against university sports, and sports weren't brought back to Chicago until the 1950's when the administration changed. The University of Chicago was still in the academic consortium affiliated with the Big Ten until 2018, so if they had wanted to go back to having big-time sports, they likely would've been invited back. The Big Ten had nine members until 1953, so there was a lot of time after the war that Chicago could've brought back sports if they wanted to and still be in the conference.
07-05-2020 01:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.