Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The P5 isn’t that United.
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
The P5 isn’t that United.
What we have seen is that the P5 conferences are not so united. There is a culture difference it seems with a good size gap between the western and northeast conferences vs the southern and Midwest conferences.
08-11-2020 08:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: The P5 isn’t that United.
They were never united. Well it was this one time when they decided to distinguish themselves from the less privilege conferences and make themselves autonomous. Other than that it's false narrative led by many media members of P-5 who assume they would be united.
08-11-2020 08:11 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(08-11-2020 08:06 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  What we have seen is that the P5 conferences are not so united. There is a culture difference it seems with a good size gap between the western and northeast conferences vs the southern and Midwest conferences.

How is the Big Ten aligned with the SEC?

Who’s the northeast conference?
08-11-2020 08:15 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(08-11-2020 08:15 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 08:06 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  What we have seen is that the P5 conferences are not so united. There is a culture difference it seems with a good size gap between the western and northeast conferences vs the southern and Midwest conferences.

The Big 10.
08-11-2020 08:17 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-11-2020 08:17 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

The Big 10.

The Big 10 isn’t a northeast conference. 11 schools are located in the midwest.
08-11-2020 08:19 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(08-11-2020 08:19 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

The Big 10.

Depending on the definition of the Midwest.
08-11-2020 08:22 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-11-2020 08:22 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

The Big 10.

Who’s definition would that be? The federal government considers Ohio to Nebraska the Midwest, geographers consider Ohio to Nebraska the Midwest, the media considers Ohio to Nebraska the Midwest, and 70+% of citizens surveyed in all those states identify as the Midwest.
08-11-2020 08:32 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Our bad. We are the Northeast conference and we quit football years ago. But don't blame us, blame UConn, because everyone else does.

Carry on.
08-11-2020 08:36 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC

Delaney and Slive were both sports media rights attorneys prior to becoming commissioners. They did get along and even when they disagreed respected one another's positions and understood them. The two of them working together got a good many things done both for autonomy and for structure.

Swofford and Slive got along as well but probably not as well as Slive and Delaney. Slive and Swarbrick also were cordial.

The rifts today are partly driven by political leaders in the respective states, and not so much in sports. The fact that Warren is new, Sankey is relatively new, and Swofford's leaving just leaves us the Ivy League Tennis player posing as a conference commissioner and Bowlsby who has done much to repair the shenanigans of Deloss Dodds who dominated Bowlsby's predecessors.

I don't think there is a rift athletically between the SEC and Big 10. It's as with all things in our nation today, we have ridden the politics of division until the whole nation is polarized and both sides are to blame. What you see as disunity among the P5 is merely geographical political rifts forcing their natures upon things that neither should ever have had dominion over, not that the rights of the states aren't involved, they are, but out of civility and respect for what the common man and woman enjoys. Politics and politicians need to leave aspects of everyone's lives unsoiled by their partisanship.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2020 09:31 PM by JRsec.)
08-11-2020 09:25 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Growing up in Ohio, the Midwest was the States connected to the Great Lakes West of the Appalachian rang.

The Plains States were those that didn't connect (the Dakotas, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma). Missouri I guess goes in there as does Southern Illinois and even Northern Texas and eastern Colorado.

My dad Grew up in Kansas and his Definition of the Midwest was what I called the Plains, and where I grew up was the North or Northeast.

In California I have run into people who think Utah is the Midwest (you know it's in the middle of the West). No comment. 04-nuke

The definition does depend on where you are from.
08-11-2020 10:23 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
The legal underpinnings of States and Commonwealths are not the same. Part of the real issue here is tort liability and labor law embedded in the constitutions of these States and Commonwealths.

You can get sued for anything and win any amount in California. Those same suits filed in NC courts can get you disbarred.
08-11-2020 10:35 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-11-2020 08:32 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 08:22 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 08:15 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  How is the Big Ten aligned with the SEC?

The Big 10.

Who’s definition would that be? The federal government considers Ohio to Nebraska the Midwest, geographers consider Ohio to Nebraska the Midwest, the media considers Ohio to Nebraska the Midwest, and 70+% of citizens surveyed in all those states identify as the Midwest.

People in Kansas and Nebraska don't consider Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and Illinois to be the midwest.
08-11-2020 10:44 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
It's Midwest "Great Lakes" and Midwest "Great Plains"

But I like this map
[Image: American-Nations-Colin-Woodard-Albions-S...lachia.jpg]

I think Left Coast extends at least one more county south if not all the Coast counties with surfing to San Diego, maybe skipping over LA.

For the record I grew up in Ohio on the border of greater Appalachia and Midlands. My cultural attitudes reflect a mixture of those. But being in the West for a very long time I feel more affinity with the Far West than the Left Coast where I live.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2020 12:27 AM by Stugray2.)
08-12-2020 12:24 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(08-11-2020 08:36 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Our bad. We are the Northeast conference and we quit football years ago. But don't blame us, blame UConn, because everyone else does.

Carry on.

To be fair, the Ivy League was the original Northeast Conference (it was relative to the Ivy League that the Big Ten started as the 'western' conference back in the 1890's), but then they formally surrendered on top tier varsity sports in the 1980's.
08-12-2020 12:40 AM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-12-2020 12:40 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 08:36 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Our bad. We are the Northeast conference and we quit football years ago. But don't blame us, blame UConn, because everyone else does.

Carry on.

To be fair, the Ivy League was the original Northeast Conference (it was relative to the Ivy League that the Big Ten started as the 'western' conference back in the 1890's), but then they formally surrendered on top tier varsity sports in the 1980's.

The Ivy League wasn't formed until 1954.
08-12-2020 12:51 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville

The Big Ten is an upper Mid-West conference and The PAC is a West Coast Conference. SEC is a Southeastern Conference and the ACC is an East Coast.

The ACC has one team in The Upper Mid-West: Notre Dame

There may be a difference between the conferences but it’s as much political as it is cultural. It’s more Rust Belt vs. Bible Belt
08-12-2020 04:39 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Will the ACC cancel football? Florida State officials say players are safer on the field than off

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/...n-off.html

ACC players seems like they are putting up a brave front

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/...-toll.html

ACC Doctor says the season can work

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...ssion=true
08-12-2020 06:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(08-12-2020 06:24 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Will the ACC cancel football? Florida State officials say players are safer on the field than off

I'm saying yes because the public university presidents would be run out of town if the season was cancelled. Even someone as politically connected as FSU's president couldn't get out of this, since Seminoles football is religion.
08-12-2020 06:39 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
I agree...I think they are setting the table to play
08-12-2020 07:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(08-12-2020 06:24 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Will the ACC cancel football? Florida State officials say players are safer on the field than off

I would not have expected the ACC to be so pro football this fall but I'm glad they are.
08-12-2020 08:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.