Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2nd Chance Pell Grants for those in prison
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
This is an idea I support. The people sitting in jail currently doing nothing productive have the time to spend studying. Jail is supposed to rehabilitate people, and education is a good way to do that. Also, people in jail involved with "betterment" programs of any tend to be better behaved, easier to work with for the staff etc.

Of course, it feels like we're just giving away free education to the least deserving in some ways, but I'd counter that argument with figures on how much incarceration costs already, with fairly high recidivism. Reducing numbers of people who end up back in jail could make it pay for itself.

One other thing I like is that it utilizes an existing structure that is already in place, without creating a whole new department to oversee. The education provided will have some cost involved, and it would probably be about the same if it was administered thru the Pell Grant system or another way, so I'm fine with Pell.

I don't know what the exact qualifications are, but I am sure not everyone can qualify. And plenty of people in prisons would have absolutely no interest in studying. But for those that do, it seems like a reasonable cost to possibly get a big benefit from.
06-21-2021 06:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
RE: 2nd Chance Pell Grants for those in prison
Jail is supposed to be punishment for a-holes that commit crimes.

It's not meant for rehabilitation. It's supposed to be a deterrent from committing crime again.
06-21-2021 07:43 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(06-21-2021 07:43 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Jail is supposed to be punishment for a-holes that commit crimes.

It's not meant for rehabilitation. It's supposed to be a deterrent from committing crime again.

While I agree to an extent that's a bit simplistic. If only it worked that way. What about the kid who commits a stupid crime and spends 20 years of his life behind bars doing nothing to create some value for himself? He gets out and 20 years have passed him by, he has NO skills on which to count, how long before he's right back in jail?

If you can rehab a person to become a productive member of society it's insane to argue against it IMO.
06-21-2021 10:41 AM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
(06-21-2021 07:43 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Jail is supposed to be punishment for a-holes that commit crimes.

I think you might need to do some research on the purpose of jails.. rehabilitation is part of that.

Honestly, wouldnt you consider it stupid AF to just "house" criminals until their sentence is up so they go right back out and rob people again?
06-21-2021 10:57 AM
BartlettTigerFan Offline
Have gun Will travel

I Root For: Freedom
Jail is to keep bad people away from good people.
06-21-2021 11:04 AM
maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
All for it if they have some sort of buy in and have to work a portion off after reintroduced into society.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
06-21-2021 11:15 AM
Advertisement

memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-21-2021 11:04 AM)BartlettTigerFan Wrote:  Jail is to keep bad people away from good people.

so you think once that bad person is released he is all of a sudden a good person? because if he is still a bad person, then why would he be released since jail is to keep bad people away from good people?
06-21-2021 11:16 AM
BartlettTigerFan Offline
Have gun Will travel

(06-21-2021 11:16 AM)memtigbb Wrote:  
(06-21-2021 11:04 AM)BartlettTigerFan Wrote:  Jail is to keep bad people away from good people.

so you think once that bad person is released he is all of a sudden a good person? because if he is still a bad person, then why would he be released since jail is to keep bad people away from good people?

Did I say they should be released?
06-21-2021 11:16 AM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
(06-21-2021 10:57 AM)memtigbb Wrote:  

I think you might need to do some research on the purpose of jails.. rehabilitation is part of that.

Honestly, wouldnt you consider it stupid AF to just "house" criminals until their sentence is up so they go right back out and rob people again?

Yeah, rehabilitation in the form of "get your head out of your a$$ or you'll be right back in here again". It's called accountability.

I think it's stupid AF to think that you can change... rehabilitate, if you will... a person that doesn't care to change themselves.
06-21-2021 11:27 AM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
Hands from everyone one that would hire an ex-con that has been in prison for twenty years that got his/her degree in the clink as opposed to someone who has not.
06-21-2021 11:33 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(06-21-2021 11:16 AM)BartlettTigerFan Wrote:  
(06-21-2021 11:16 AM)memtigbb Wrote:  

Did I say they should be released?

Are you telling us you never broke the law, in your life? Or is jail for those that only get caught?
06-21-2021 11:34 AM
Advertisement

BartlettTigerFan Offline
Have gun Will travel

I’m not talking about speeding or smoking pot. There are a certain percentage of our number that is unable to function in polite society, never will be able to, and should be separated from it.
06-21-2021 11:38 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(06-21-2021 11:33 AM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  Hands from everyone one that would hire an ex-con that has been in prison for twenty years that got his/her degree in the clink as opposed to someone who has not.

Over the 40 years that I owned a number of businesses (started my first as a Sr in high school) I've hired a lot of felons. Some of the best damn workers (and people) I ever been around. People that have made mistakes and ready correct them and turn their life around....

usually are better/harder workers
06-21-2021 11:39 AM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(06-21-2021 11:39 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(06-21-2021 11:33 AM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  Hands from everyone one that would hire an ex-con that has been in prison for twenty years that got his/her degree in the clink as opposed to someone who has not.

Over the 40 years that I owned a number of businesses (started my first as a Sr in high school) I've hired a lot of felons. Some of the best damn workers (and people) I ever been around. People that have made mistakes and ready correct them and turn their life around....

So. You are saying you hired college graduates that got their degrees in the slammer from tax payer money over non-felons who got their degrees by either EARNING a scholarship or from a student loan. Because that is what this thread is about. No one is referring to hiring people to do pshit that ONLY folks with bad pasts will take. Spin.
06-21-2021 11:44 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(06-21-2021 11:38 AM)BartlettTigerFan Wrote:  I’m not talking about speeding or smoking pot. There are a certain percentage of our number that is unable to function in polite society, never will be able to, and should be separated from it.

So you want to decide what laws a person can and cannot break? What about drunk driving, you ever do that? Not what you think you can handle and drive but the law? Ever punch a loud mouth in the face? You committed assault. Ever try to feel up a girl as a horny 18 years old? Sexual assault, unless you asked her first. Once more you ever cheated on your taxes? Everyone has but its still breaking federal laws.

Just because you never was charged with any of those you committed....

doesnt mean you never committed the crime
06-21-2021 11:45 AM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-21-2021 11:38 AM)BartlettTigerFan Wrote:  I’m not talking about speeding or smoking pot. There are a certain percentage of our number that is unable to function in polite society, never will be able to, and should be separated from it.

If only those people were in jail, you would have a point. Sure, there are people that will never be more than what they are and need to be removed from society. It is all the others that I am talking about.

There are way too many stupid laws and way too many different penalties for the same thing in different states.

A group of college students from Colorado go to Florida for spring break. They each take a vape pen. They are not smoking while they drive.

Completely legal in Colorado.

Arkansas= misdemeanor up to 25 grams, 250 dollar fine.

Louisiana- misdeamor up to 400 grams, 150 dollar fine.

Mississippi- automatic felony .01-1 gram 1 year mandatory minimum. 1.1-2 grams 2 years mandatory minimum.
2.1-30 grams 3 year mandatory minimum.
30.1+ 30 years mandatory minimum.

now, in comparison, do you see how ridiculous that is? What is completely legal in one state is an automatic 1+ years in jail mandatory minimum in another state. Nothing anyone can do about it. No plea deals, no time off for good behavior, you go to jail.

(Mississippi dropped the mandatory minimum 2 years ago because so many people were getting caught with vape pens and gummies and other mainstream concentrates) but it is still an automatic felony and that doesnt just go away.
06-21-2021 11:59 AM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(06-21-2021 11:44 AM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  
(06-21-2021 11:39 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  

So. You are saying you hired college graduates that got their degrees in the slammer from tax payer money over non-felons who got their degrees by either EARNING a scholarship or from a student loan. Because that is what this thread is about. No one is referring to hiring people to do pshit that ONLY folks with bad pasts will take. Spin.

You are assuming a lot in this post. When I retired at the age of 52(almost 10 years ago) the average wage we were paying was $38,000 a year. Unskilled labor started at $10 an hour and skilled at $15 an hour. And with in two years you would not be making less than $15. After a year you would also have profit sharing...not included in that average.

Had a lot of non criminal college students to work for me. Most did not last because they felt they were owed something. I personally believe in second chances as long as someone is willing to improve their life with it. Believe it or not....

most people dont want to go back to jail/prison and if you treat them like you want to be treated, pay a wage they can live on (according to their skill). In my experience you will find a hardass worker that's going to give you the same respect because they dont want to f'up. I've also hired a large number of addicts and those wanting the change but didn't have the structure to turn their life around. Turned it around. Those that never wanted it in the first place...didnt.

I see what a college degree can do for you....

hell we have a few of those spending 6 to 7 of their 8 hour work day. On the internet. If I caught a person loafing like that on my dime, college, felon, drug head, family. They wouldnt get a third chance
06-21-2021 12:05 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
I have no real problem with it as long as people who are, you know in prion that may need a Pell Grant don’t get negatively impacted.
06-21-2021 12:12 PM
BartlettTigerFan Offline
Have gun Will travel

(06-21-2021 11:45 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  

So you want to decide what laws a person can and cannot break? What about drunk driving, you ever do that? Not what you think you can handle and drive but the law? Ever punch a loud mouth in the face? You committed assault. Ever try to feel up a girl as a horny 18 years old? Sexual assault, unless you asked her first. Once more you ever cheated on your taxes? Everyone has but its still breaking federal laws.

Just because you never was charged with any of those you committed....

doesnt mean you never committed the crime

Just because you’re a criminal doesn’t mean everyone is.
06-21-2021 12:37 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
I may be in the minority, on this, but I am a big believer in the transformative power of the educational process. Sometimes what you're learning can be secondary to the process of getting your mind working, thinking of new ideas, and yes, maybe even inspiring some people. Maybe dreaming a little, when they hadn't before.

If they get a degree or not, there is still a lot of potential for gain. I know its an intangible, but I believe its real.

And who knows, being around even 1 inmate is is transformed, inspired, optimistic, can change others as well. We all know that some come out even worse than they go in, maybe this could counter act that at least a little.

The cost of prisons is just so high. I won't even get into the debate of why people are in, who should be in or for how long, but the current system is sucking us dry.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2021 01:01 PM by Todor.)
06-21-2021 12:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.