Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Notre Dame defends leprechaun mascot, ranked college football's 4th-most offensive
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
Notre Dame defends leprechaun mascot, ranked college football's 4th-most offensive
I found this amusing. We need to recruit better to get to number 1.

Notre Dame's Fighting Irish leprechaun is the fourth-most offensive college football mascot in the nation, according to a new survey. The top three most offensive mascots, the survey says, wear face paint, headdresses and are culturally insensitive to Native Americans.

When presented with the survey results by IndyStar, Notre Dame emailed a response that included a written statement defending the leprechaun and highlighting its history.

"It is worth noting ... that there is no comparison between Notre Dame’s nickname and mascot and the Indian and warrior names (and) mascots used by other institutions such as the NFL team formerly known as the Redskins," the statement read. "None of these institutions were founded or named by Native Americans who sought to highlight their heritage by using names and symbols associated with their people."

At Notre Dame, the university said, the Irish have been an integral part of the school since its beginning and played a key role in adopting the name.

"Our symbols stand as celebratory representations of a genuine Irish heritage at Notre Dame," the university said, "a heritage that we regard with respect, loyalty and affection."

The Fighting Irish mascot came under fire in 2018 when ESPN’s Max Kellerman called on Notre Dame to do away with the leprechaun as Cleveland's major league baseball team did with its mascot, Chief Wahoo.

“Many Irish-Americans are not offended, but many are,” Kellerman said in a Wall Street Journal article. “Should that also change? The answer is yes. Unequivocally yes. Pernicious, negative stereotypes of marginalized people that offend, even some among them, should be changed.”

The mascot survey was conducted by Quality Logo Products, an Illinois company that prints logos on T-shirts, water bottles and other items.

As the college football season approached, the company identified 128 Division 1 football team mascots and asked people to score them based on different categories, ranging from best and worst mascots to creepiest and most offensive.

Notre Dame's leprechaun was named fourth-most offensive, behind Osceola and Renegade of Florida State, the Aztec Warrior of San Diego State and Vili the Warrior of the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...253603002/
08-24-2021 02:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
RE: Notre Dame defends leprechaun mascot, ranked college football's 4th-most offensive
Doesn't FSU have a relationship with the Seminole Tribe and therefore would not make it offensive? I don't consider Osceola and Renegade a mascot though, more of a tribute-icon.
08-24-2021 02:26 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: Notre Dame defends leprechaun mascot, ranked college football's 4th-most offensive
Not much of a survey. References a supposed mascot from Dartmouth that was a parody.

[Image: Keggy_the_Keg.JPG]
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2021 02:48 PM by DFW HOYA.)
08-24-2021 02:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Oh for heavens sake. I never complain about Scots as a mascot or name. Heck I'd find it funny if somebody took the name the Screaming Banshees and had young woman dressed like a red headed wraith shrieking at the top of her lungs and roaming wildly along the sidelines.

[Image: banshee.gif]
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2021 03:38 PM by Stugray2.)
08-24-2021 03:34 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Who dafuq is offended by the Leprechaun mascot? There's nothing remotely offensive about this.
08-24-2021 06:31 PM
CardinalJim Online
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
I’m still waiting for somebody to use The Caucasians. Struck out when Cleveland went with The Guardians…WTH. The Cleveland Caucasians had such a good ring to it. 03-lmfao

I’m not being racially insensitive am I 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2021 08:04 PM by CardinalJim.)
08-24-2021 08:04 PM
Advertisement

The Grassy Nole Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: FSU & Ohio U
(08-24-2021 02:26 PM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  Doesn't FSU have a relationship with the Seminole Tribe and therefore would not make it offensive? I don't consider Osceola and Renegade a mascot though, more of a tribute-icon.

They do, the Tribe approves of Osceola as an icon and even assists the university in preserving his memory through Osceola and Renegade every year.
08-24-2021 08:33 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I can state with relative certainty that the University of Notre Dame will never change its Fighting Irish nickname.

But as long as there is one fool that takes offense to it, there will always be an "audience" willing to crusade against it.
08-24-2021 08:47 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
As a Catholic man of Anglo-Celtic descent who is a fan of Scottish-Irish music and jewelry — and kelly green drum kits, for that matter — I embrace the leprechaun that Notre Dame uses as a mascot. I don't see any reason for folks to be offended. Those who find the word "leprechaun" off-putting likely are the type people always looking for a reason to complain or take offense.

These folks need to lighten up. Would that I could ply them with some fine Irish whiskey and then get them hooked on Dropkick Murphys music.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2021 10:22 PM by bill dazzle.)
08-24-2021 08:49 PM
3BNole Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Florida State
The ironic part is that the people who find Chief Osceola offensive are the ones who know absolutely nothing about him. His outfit is literally made by the Seminole Tribe and every aspect of his portrayal is painstakingly historically accurate. Basically if you’re saying that he’s offensive, then you’re saying that the Seminole Native Americans themselves are offensive… since that’s what they wore, that’s their most famous leader, and they actively indorse his continued portrayal.
08-24-2021 09:10 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(08-24-2021 02:10 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  I found this amusing. We need to recruit better to get to number 1.

Notre Dame's Fighting Irish leprechaun is the fourth-most offensive college football mascot in the nation, according to a new survey. The top three most offensive mascots, the survey says, wear face paint, headdresses and are culturally insensitive to Native Americans.

When presented with the survey results by IndyStar, Notre Dame emailed a response that included a written statement defending the leprechaun and highlighting its history.

"It is worth noting ... that there is no comparison between Notre Dame’s nickname and mascot and the Indian and warrior names (and) mascots used by other institutions such as the NFL team formerly known as the Redskins," the statement read. "None of these institutions were founded or named by Native Americans who sought to highlight their heritage by using names and symbols associated with their people."

At Notre Dame, the university said, the Irish have been an integral part of the school since its beginning and played a key role in adopting the name.

"Our symbols stand as celebratory representations of a genuine Irish heritage at Notre Dame," the university said, "a heritage that we regard with respect, loyalty and affection."

The Fighting Irish mascot came under fire in 2018 when ESPN’s Max Kellerman called on Notre Dame to do away with the leprechaun as Cleveland's major league baseball team did with its mascot, Chief Wahoo.

“Many Irish-Americans are not offended, but many are,” Kellerman said in a Wall Street Journal article. “Should that also change? The answer is yes. Unequivocally yes. Pernicious, negative stereotypes of marginalized people that offend, even some among them, should be changed.”

The mascot survey was conducted by Quality Logo Products, an Illinois company that prints logos on T-shirts, water bottles and other items.

As the college football season approached, the company identified 128 Division 1 football team mascots and asked people to score them based on different categories, ranging from best and worst mascots to creepiest and most offensive.

Notre Dame's leprechaun was named fourth-most offensive, behind Osceola and Renegade of Florida State, the Aztec Warrior of San Diego State and Vili the Warrior of the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...253603002/

Was this Division I (FBS + FCS) or Division 1-A only? If so, you were the 2 teams out of 130 that weren't included?
08-24-2021 09:24 PM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
I’m offended by the sheer amount of bulldogs and tigers in the SEC.
08-24-2021 09:32 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Exactly who is offended by the Notre Dame mascot?

I've known Irish-Americans all my life and have run in to one who was. Have known plenty who took pride in the linkage with Notre Dame though.
08-24-2021 09:32 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
So a mythical creature is offensive? Sounds like Notre Dame haters flooding the ballot boxes. Makes sense considering how many people hate Notre Dame for some reason.
08-24-2021 09:42 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
(08-24-2021 08:33 PM)The Grassy Nole Wrote:  
(08-24-2021 02:26 PM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  Doesn't FSU have a relationship with the Seminole Tribe and therefore would not make it offensive? I don't consider Osceola and Renegade a mascot though, more of a tribute-icon.

They do, the Tribe approves of Osceola as an icon and even assists the university in preserving his memory through Osceola and Renegade every year.

That's what I thought. Some people will always find something to be offended by.
08-24-2021 10:08 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU

It does, but woke white people get to override Native American opinions according to the woke cult.
08-24-2021 11:02 PM
Advertisement

Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
RE: ND defends leprechaun mascot, ranked college football's 4th-most offensive
(08-24-2021 08:04 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I’m still waiting for somebody to use The Caucasians. Struck out when Cleveland went with The Guardians…WTH. The Cleveland Caucasians had such a good ring to it. 03-lmfao

I’m not being racially insensitive am I 03-lmfao

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Whites

[Image: FightingWhites.png]
08-24-2021 11:24 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(08-24-2021 09:32 PM)esayem Wrote:  I’m offended by the sheer amount of bulldogs and tigers in the SEC.

I hear the SEC is attempting to corner the market by targeting Louisiana Tech and Memphis as teams #17 and #18.
08-24-2021 11:34 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
RE: Notre Dame defends leprechaun mascot ranked college football's 4th-most offensive
Plain lazy journalism. The company that conducted the survey had no clue what it was doing. Vili the Warrior hasn’t been associated with UH for over a decade. Moreover he was never the school’s mascot, rather he was a paid entertainer hired at June Jones’ behest to promote the football program.

Finally anyone who thought or thinks Vili was an offensive stereotype would probably reconsider if they watched this profile of him and his family (especially the last couple of minutes):

08-24-2021 11:47 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(08-24-2021 06:31 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  Who dafuq is offended by the Leprechaun mascot? There's nothing remotely offensive about this.

Probably the non-Irish.
08-25-2021 12:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.