Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Can Someone Explain
Bookmark and Share
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
Can Someone Explain
So the CFP is the majority of money for a G5 conference. Adding 4 to the SBC dilutes that money significantly. I understand the appeal of ESPN but that money also gets diluted because the schools don’t bring in enough value to increase payouts. The additions of Liberty and JMU would create a solid ten team conference for CUSA, that IMO would be just as strong as the current SBC. I just feel like this is a knee jerk reaction and I don’t really understand what each school really gains. The SBC has plenty of bottom dwellers. I just can’t really see the massive upside that would cause a school to forfeit millions of dollars in exit fees plus paying to leave for what would be a lateral move assuming the additions of JMU and Liberty. I am really trying to wrap my brain around it so could someone explain the perks?
10-22-2021 12:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty
RE: Can Someone Explain
Judy....that's all you need to know.

What makes you think she is capable of getting this conference a better media deal next go around?
10-22-2021 12:27 PM
GEAGLESJAG Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USA & USM
(10-22-2021 12:26 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  So the CFP is the majority of money for a G5 conference. Adding 4 to the SBC dilutes that money significantly. I understand the appeal of ESPN but that money also gets diluted because the schools don’t bring in enough value to increase payouts. The additions of Liberty and JMU would create a solid ten team conference for CUSA, that IMO would be just as strong as the current SBC. I just feel like this is a knee jerk reaction and I don’t really understand what each school really gains. The SBC has plenty of bottom dwellers. I just can’t really see the massive upside that would cause a school to forfeit millions of dollars in exit fees plus paying to leave for what would be a lateral move assuming the additions of JMU and Liberty. I am really trying to wrap my brain around it so could someone explain the perks?

No Judy
No travel to El Paso
No travel to Miami
No travel to Ruston
MTSU/WKY ok?
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2021 12:34 PM by GEAGLESJAG.)
10-22-2021 12:33 PM
freshtop Online
All American

I Root For: WKU
(10-22-2021 12:26 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  So the CFP is the majority of money for a G5 conference. Adding 4 to the SBC dilutes that money significantly. I understand the appeal of ESPN but that money also gets diluted because the schools don’t bring in enough value to increase payouts. The additions of Liberty and JMU would create a solid ten team conference for CUSA, that IMO would be just as strong as the current SBC. I just feel like this is a knee jerk reaction and I don’t really understand what each school really gains. The SBC has plenty of bottom dwellers. I just can’t really see the massive upside that would cause a school to forfeit millions of dollars in exit fees plus paying to leave for what would be a lateral move assuming the additions of JMU and Liberty. I am really trying to wrap my brain around it so could someone explain the perks?

There are several reasons. C-USA is in a death spiral. Even before the defections of the AAC-6 we had a terrible media deal with little money and no exposure, and we had awful leadership from Judy. The CFP monies will be split more ways, but ESPN is rumored to be orchestrating all of this, so I bet they will make things come out even. On top of that, there is a non-zero chance that C-USA ceases to exist. If that goes down, maybe the new G4 get bigger slices of the same pie. USM, ODU, Marshall to the SBC (along with JMU) is being reported by more and more reliable sources. MTSU and WKU will likely toss the kitchen sink at the MAC (if you guys don't go, UMass will). LaTech, UTEP, and FIU are facing down the barrel of independence, at least temporarily (so are WKU and MTSU, we still have the MAC card to put all our chips on first though). I could see the MWC or SBC taking a team or two once the next round of Big 12 moves happen. Maybe FIU goes to the AAC after USF moves on. Maybe UTEP goes to the MWC after Boise leaves. Maybe LaTech goes to the SBC after Georgia State or ODU goes to the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2021 12:37 PM by freshtop.)
10-22-2021 12:36 PM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
For ODU, it doesn't make as much sense without Marshall but is a no brainer with Marshall.

The travel is a real drag on our budget. We want a more regionalized conference.

The 3 million exit fee is pennies compared to what we would gain financially in the Sun Belt.

Nothing against the schools in CUSA but ODU fans don't car about UTEP, USM, LT, FIU, etc. They do care about App State and would probably take notice of Coastal. We have history with Ga Southern/State.

Plus, the conference basketball tournament wouldn't be 500 miles away in a gym with 2 games played at a time...
10-22-2021 12:37 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Hey, Judy was trying to conserve the conference's resources. 04-coffee
10-22-2021 12:51 PM
All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged
(10-22-2021 12:36 PM)freshtop Wrote:  

There are several reasons. C-USA is in a death spiral. Even before the defections of the AAC-6 we had a terrible media deal with little money and no exposure, and we had awful leadership from Judy. The CFP monies will be split more ways, but ESPN is rumored to be orchestrating all of this, so I bet they will make things come out even. On top of that, there is a non-zero chance that C-USA ceases to exist. If that goes down, maybe the new G4 get bigger slices of the same pie. USM, ODU, Marshall to the SBC (along with JMU) is being reported by more and more reliable sources. MTSU and WKU will likely toss the kitchen sink at the MAC (if you guys don't go, UMass will). LaTech, UTEP, and FIU are facing down the barrel of independence, at least temporarily (so are WKU and MTSU, we still have the MAC card to put all our chips on first though). I could see the MWC or SBC taking a team or two once the next round of Big 12 moves happen. Maybe FIU goes to the AAC after USF moves on. Maybe UTEP goes to the MWC after Boise leaves. Maybe LaTech goes to the SBC after Georgia State or ODU goes to the AAC.

No, you would likely see a reduction of that $90 Million currently going to the Gang of 5 and depending on how many 1-A Independents are created after CUSA dissolves, you might see a small increase going to 1-A Independents, but with Judy MacLeod's vote gone in those matters it makes it easier for the Power 5 to take more of that money from the AAC, Sun Belt and the other two because the voting majority will more than support doing so.
10-22-2021 12:58 PM
GEAUX UL Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LOUISIANA

First of all, I’m seeing where ESPN agreed to increase it’s payout so our media shares won’t be diluted. Second, yes we will have to dilute our CFP money, but given the fact that we’re adding historically successful programs, and the AAC has replaced their superstar teams with historically unsuccessful teams (no offense,) there’s a very real possibility that we could overtake the AAC in the CFP rankings. Third, the travel cost savings are massive. Fourth, there is more stability. For the most part, the schools in the SBC share a strong identity are genuinely interested in staying together.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2021 01:00 PM by GEAUX UL.)
10-22-2021 12:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.