Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Should FIU Consider Dropping Football?
Bookmark and Share
XYZ Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Various
For the rare FIU fan on this board if any are still around, do you think this option should be seriously considered by the unveristy’s leadership?

The program has had only four winning seasons in it’s twenty years of existence and has not shown any willingness to invest in athletics. Since the university prefers to spend it’s money investing in research and academics over athletics, why not save more money for that instead of taking trips out to teams out in New Mexico, Texas, etc.. for all sports?

FIU athletics already has enough trouble drawing fans. Keeping football in CUSA to play some of the schools being mentioned as callups from FCS is guaranteed to keep the stands empty and won’t do anything to make the university more attractive to potential students than having no football team. It would be better to save money by not having to worry about football expenses and move the Olympic sports to the ASUN where there are currently four other schools in Florida to compete against.

If FIU insists on keeping football and continuing in FBS then being independent may be the only way that makes sense to avoid the huge travel costs for all sports staying in a conference based in Texas and stretching to New Mexico for all sports.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2021 08:32 PM by XYZ.)
10-22-2021 08:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
RE: Should FIU Consider Dropping Football?
They did pay to build a stadium so that’s a tough hurdle to overcome
10-22-2021 09:31 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
I thought they did after TY Hilton graduated.
10-22-2021 09:37 PM
Dusky Offline
1st String

I Root For: Winning in Paradise
(10-22-2021 09:31 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  They did pay to build a stadium so that’s a tough hurdle to overcome

It's not much of a stadium and it is used for a pro soccer team so I don't think that is an issue. They should focus on Basketball, Soccer and Baseball.
10-23-2021 10:54 AM
2009panther Offline
2nd String

I Root For: FIU
(10-22-2021 08:30 PM)XYZ Wrote:  For the rare FIU fan on this board if any are still around, do you think this option should be seriously considered by the unveristy’s leadership?

The program has had only four winning seasons in it’s twenty years of existence and has not shown any willingness to invest in athletics. Since the university prefers to spend it’s money investing in research and academics over athletics, why not save more money for that instead of taking trips out to teams out in New Mexico, Texas, etc.. for all sports?

FIU athletics already has enough trouble drawing fans. Keeping football in CUSA to play some of the schools being mentioned as callups from FCS is guaranteed to keep the stands empty and won’t do anything to make the university more attractive to potential students than having no football team. It would be better to save money by not having to worry about football expenses and move the Olympic sports to the ASUN where there are currently four other schools in Florida to compete against.

If FIU insists on keeping football and continuing in FBS then being independent may be the only way that makes sense to avoid the huge travel costs for all sports staying in a conference based in Texas and stretching to New Mexico for all sports.

This is dumb. That’s not happening. FIU might not be dumping all its focus and money in sports at the moment but the school has big ambitions. We have a top 5 enrollment in the country. There are plans in place to improve the stadium. We just improved the basketball arena. And even while sports may not be the focus now we still had a top 3 budget in what was CUSA. The money was there to move to the AAC to if we would’ve received an invite. We’ll be in the reimagined CUSA or an independent until we hopefully get an invite to the AAC after USF moves on.
10-23-2021 12:04 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-22-2021 08:30 PM)XYZ Wrote:  For the rare FIU fan on this board if any are still around, do you think this option should be seriously considered by the unveristy’s leadership?

No troll.
10-23-2021 12:06 PM
Advertisement

galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators
Yes, let’s encourage 20% of the C-DOA to drop football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
10-23-2021 12:19 PM
GeForce2 Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-23-2021 12:04 PM)2009panther Wrote:  

This is dumb. That’s not happening. FIU might not be dumping all its focus and money in sports at the moment but the school has big ambitions. We have a top 5 enrollment in the country. There are plans in place to improve the stadium. We just improved the basketball arena. And even while sports may not be the focus now we still had a top 3 budget in what was CUSA. The money was there to move to the AAC to if we would’ve received an invite. We’ll be in the reimagined CUSA or an independent until we hopefully get an invite to the AAC after USF moves on.
Exactly. FIU admin just needs to divert some energy into sports. We'll be alright.
10-23-2021 12:25 PM
goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
People do not realize how massive FIU is as a school, suggesting FIU drop football has no merit.
10-23-2021 12:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(10-22-2021 09:37 PM)banker Wrote:  I thought they did after TY Hilton graduated.

Yep. Right after Bazzie knocked him into 2022 in the bowl game.
10-23-2021 12:29 PM
dawgonit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech

If I were FIU, I would first spend my time collecting exit fees first. That is the biggest concern right now.

After that is settled, I do think they would benefit from independence more than staying in CUSA as they would be on the biggest island compared to UTEP who may have NMSU as a travel partner. They are located in a huge recruiting area and a trip Miami is also a good recruiting tool for teams so I can see them having advantages for scheduling.

However for CUSA's sake, they need to keep FIU for now. CUSA is going to need to keep its members to survive. I could see CUSA and FIU sticking together for a while for survival but working together to have FIU move on when an opportunity arises whether that be independence or another conference.
10-23-2021 12:29 PM
Advertisement

MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
Too little, too late. They should have been making that commitment while they had a conference there for them. Now that they realize, in hindsight, the error of their ways, they can dump everything into athletics and make a push to go somewhere again. That right there should pi$$ off every member of CUSA, except Charlotte who does the exact same thing.

This kind of crap is why this conference failed. Too may freeloaders who never made any commitment to being a part of CUSA except for being in CUSA. Had nothing to do with TV or where the basketball tournament was played. Had everything to do with the attitude of certain schools not giving a single fk about this place. Even UTEP wins one game a year for 10 years and then the musical chairs start up and they're almost undefeated. Again, too little too late.

I believe WKU and LaTech genuinely tried to make this a better place and had some vision about what they wanted for CUSA and themselves. I have some degree of sympathy for them. Actually WKU can suck it 04-cheers But the rest sat on their laurels and got carried for years, incuding some that will be the AAC's burden now, thank God. So sick of the bleeding heart crap for these institutions that didn't give a damn for most of a decade and are now bitter towards those that got tired of giving everything to charity.

I don't care if you couldn't win. I get that. It happens. But if you couldn't win, you should have had facilities that would make people forget that you weren't winning and make fans come just to see your campus. You chose to be stagnant for 8 years. Now you reap it.
10-23-2021 01:03 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

This is the school that fired Cristobal because he was t getting it done.
10-23-2021 01:41 PM
goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
(10-23-2021 01:41 PM)banker Wrote:  This is the school that fired Cristobal because he was t getting it done.

Now they wish they hadn't.
10-23-2021 01:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(10-23-2021 01:03 PM)MUther Wrote:  Too little, too late. They should have been making that commitment while they had a conference there for them. Now that they realize, in hindsight, the error of their ways, they can dump everything into athletics and make a push to go somewhere again. That right there should pi$$ off every member of CUSA, except Charlotte who does the exact same thing.

This kind of crap is why this conference failed. Too may freeloaders who never made any commitment to being a part of CUSA except for being in CUSA. Had nothing to do with TV or where the basketball tournament was played. Had everything to do with the attitude of certain schools not giving a single fk about this place. Even UTEP wins one game a year for 10 years and then the musical chairs start up and they're almost undefeated. Again, too little too late.

I believe WKU and LaTech genuinely tried to make this a better place and had some vision about what they wanted for CUSA and themselves. I have some degree of sympathy for them. Actually WKU can suck it 04-cheers But the rest sat on their laurels and got carried for years, incuding some that will be the AAC's burden now, thank God. So sick of the bleeding heart crap for these institutions that didn't give a damn for most of a decade and are now bitter towards those that got tired of giving everything to charity.

I don't care if you couldn't win. I get that. It happens. But if you couldn't win, you should have had facilities that would make people forget that you weren't winning and make fans come just to see your campus. You chose to be stagnant for 8 years. Now you reap it.

Enjoy the Sun Belt.

But don’t ever ever talk to UTEP fans about facilities and fan support. That’s one area where we run circles around you. And let’s not forget basketball. You have the football record, that’s it.
10-23-2021 01:44 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-23-2021 01:03 PM)MUther Wrote:  Too little, too late. They should have been making that commitment while they had a conference there for them. Now that they realize, in hindsight, the error of their ways, they can dump everything into athletics and make a push to go somewhere again. That right there should pi$$ off every member of CUSA, except Charlotte who does the exact same thing.

Man, take yo azz on to the SBC!
10-23-2021 01:55 PM
Advertisement

THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(10-23-2021 01:55 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

Man, take yo azz on to the SBC!

Pot, meet kettle.
10-23-2021 02:02 PM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(10-23-2021 01:44 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  

Enjoy the Sun Belt.

But don’t ever ever talk to UTEP fans about facilities and fan support. That’s one area where we run circles around you. And let’s not forget basketball. You have the football record, that’s it.

He’s right about some of those schools (excluding UTEP). FAU and UTSA arenas are down right pitiful I know I’ve been there. Not even junior college standards.

And now they are expected to all of sudden change since they are in the AAC, yeah right.
10-23-2021 02:03 PM
KingStucky Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: FAU & UCF
(10-23-2021 02:03 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 01:44 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  

Enjoy the Sun Belt.

He’s right about some of those schools (excluding UTEP). FAU and UTSA arenas are down right pitiful I know I’ve been there. Not even junior college standards.

And now they are expected to all of sudden change since they are in the AAC, yeah right.

We are working on renovating our basketball arena right now. We have been focused on building football facilities. Basketball and baseball upgrades are in the works and an IPF is next on the agenda. We haven’t stopped building and growing.
10-23-2021 02:16 PM
GeForce2 Offline
Bench Warmer

Are you happy being in the Sunbelt?
10-23-2021 02:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.