Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2022 ECU Offensive Coordinator List
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
2022 ECU Offensive Coordinator List
Unfortunately Donnie Kirkpatrick hasn't been fired yet, but it's getting late in the season and coaching moves are starting to happen so I thought I'd get a jump on it and stir up some speculation.

My top three to replace DK in no particular order

Tyler Bolfing from ULM
Zach Kittley from WKY
Brad Glenn from Georgia St

Their 2021 numbers are great, but they aren't just flash in the pan kinda guys. They will all be head coaches in 5-7 years if not sooner.
10-25-2021 02:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MadEagle Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: 2022 ECU Offensive Coordinator List
Doug Martin from New Mexico State would be huge if NMST let's him go. He's actually got a great offensive mind. He just doesnt got the talent to run it there. He's coaches at East Carolina before too.
10-25-2021 03:22 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(10-25-2021 03:22 PM)MadEagle Wrote:  Doug Martin from New Mexico State would be huge if NMST let's him go. He's actually got a great offensive mind. He just doesnt got the talent to run it there. He's coaches at East Carolina before too.

If I wanted ECU to run Steve Logan's offense from the 1990's I'd advocate them trying to hire Logan back.
10-25-2021 03:27 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

(10-25-2021 03:27 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 03:22 PM)MadEagle Wrote:  Doug Martin from New Mexico State would be huge if NMST let's him go. He's actually got a great offensive mind. He just doesnt got the talent to run it there. He's coaches at East Carolina before too.

If I wanted ECU to run Steve Logan's offense from the 1990's I'd advocate them trying to hire Logan back.

ECU doesn't have enough money to hire Logan back. He's enjoying life.
10-25-2021 03:56 PM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(10-25-2021 02:48 PM)200yrs2late Wrote:  Unfortunately Donnie Kirkpatrick hasn't been fired yet, but it's getting late in the season and coaching moves are starting to happen so I thought I'd get a jump on it and stir up some speculation.

My top three to replace DK in no particular order

Tyler Bolfing from ULM
Zach Kittley from WKY
Brad Glenn from Georgia St

Their 2021 numbers are great, but they aren't just flash in the pan kinda guys. They will all be head coaches in 5-7 years if not sooner.

Nov 15th might work just fine, thanks.
10-25-2021 05:18 PM
Advertisement

NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC
What do you all think of the spread triple option, something like Coastal runs?
10-25-2021 05:18 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(10-25-2021 03:56 PM)200yrs2late Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 03:27 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

ECU doesn't have enough money to hire Logan back. He's enjoying life.

I was being sarcastic anyway. I love Logan but I doubt his offense would even work in today's game.
10-25-2021 05:49 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

(10-25-2021 05:18 PM)NoQuarterBrigade Wrote:  What do you all think of the spread triple option, something like Coastal runs?
Haven't seen enough to have an opinion one way or another.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk
10-25-2021 05:58 PM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2021 05:18 PM)NoQuarterBrigade Wrote:  What do you all think of the spread triple option, something like Coastal runs?

While you're probably intending to ask ECU fans, I'll chime in...

I enjoy watching Chadwell's offense. Similarities to the Johnson-Niumatalolo offense, obviously, which I know and love. Differences, too - I personally prefer under center, because I feel sad for shotgun option teams (Chadwell's, RPO, zone option) when they go for it on 4th and 1 and give up three+ yards at the snap.
Watching Wednesday, my ears perked up when the announcing crew said that Chadwell or his OC made the point "you can't flirt with this, you've got to be willing to be married to it." That's a truism within the Johnson coaching tree.
But I think that also means you can't just hire an OC...you have to hire most of an offensive staff, right?

Going back to Wednesday, and an imperfect recollection on my part, there was a series of plays I really liked -- boundary slot going in motion, but instead of continuing down the line, went deep behind the QB and FB and continued around. That offered a completely different geometry from what the intial formation/motion showed the defense...and then they ran three different plays from it...and I think each of them had choices (RPO, double option, etc) you've now got 4-6 different offensive outcomes, after you've already put the defense on their heels by changing what they THINK they have from the initial formation/motion.

I could be very wrong, but I think that the Chadwell offense has a limit for the advantage you can gain over an athletically superior team. The shotgun, the prevalence of zone ride or RPO plays take time...if a team is truly athletically better, they're going to make up ground, and get to stuff from the backside that is already past them in the Johnson-Niumatalolo offense. That may not be as much of an issue for ECU vs the AAC as it is for Navy vs the AAC or GT vs the ACC.
The line is a similar issue -- going back to Wednesday, the announcers were talking about shorter, somewhat lighter, but quicker linemen. Love it, sign me up...but that's Navy's situation, not necessarily ECU's.

But again, bottom line, I enjoy watching that offense at work. I'm always thinking about it relative to Navy's O while I'm watching. But it is sweet when it is working.
10-25-2021 07:00 PM
Advertisement

NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

(10-25-2021 07:00 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  

I enjoy watching Chadwell's offense. Similarities to the Johnson-Niumatalolo offense, obviously, which I know and love. Differences, too - I personally prefer under center, because I feel sad for shotgun option teams (Chadwell's, RPO, zone option) when they go for it on 4th and 1 and give up three+ yards at the snap.
Watching Wednesday, my ears perked up when the announcing crew said that Chadwell or his OC made the point "you can't flirt with this, you've got to be willing to be married to it." That's a truism within the Johnson coaching tree.
But I think that also means you can't just hire an OC...you have to hire most of an offensive staff, right?

Going back to Wednesday, and an imperfect recollection on my part, there was a series of plays I really liked -- boundary slot going in motion, but instead of continuing down the line, went deep behind the QB and FB and continued around. That offered a completely different geometry from what the intial formation/motion showed the defense...and then they ran three different plays from it...and I think each of them had choices (RPO, double option, etc) you've now got 4-6 different offensive outcomes, after you've already put the defense on their heels by changing what they THINK they have from the initial formation/motion.

I could be very wrong, but I think that the Chadwell offense has a limit for the advantage you can gain over an athletically superior team. The shotgun, the prevalence of zone ride or RPO plays take time...if a team is truly athletically better, they're going to make up ground, and get to stuff from the backside that is already past them in the Johnson-Niumatalolo offense. That may not be as much of an issue for ECU vs the AAC as it is for Navy vs the AAC or GT vs the ACC.
The line is a similar issue -- going back to Wednesday, the announcers were talking about shorter, somewhat lighter, but quicker linemen. Love it, sign me up...but that's Navy's situation, not necessarily ECU's.

But again, bottom line, I enjoy watching that offense at work. I'm always thinking about it relative to Navy's O while I'm watching. But it is sweet when it is working.
I’ve watched them play three games now and was impressed with it each time. I personally don’t think most ECU fans would have the patience for it though. It would take some time to implement and run proficiently. But when it is running proficiently and clicking, it’s fun to watch, and it can wear out a defense by the 4th quarter. I was wondering what others thought about it.
10-25-2021 09:37 PM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2021 09:37 PM)NoQuarterBrigade Wrote:  

I’ve watched them play three games now and was impressed with it each time. I personally don’t think most ECU fans would have the patience for it though. It would take some time to implement and run proficiently. But when it is running proficiently and clicking, it’s fun to watch, and it can wear out a defense by the 4th quarter. I was wondering what others thought about it.
edited to add:
The other thing I wanted to say in my fourth paragraph -- App's speed on defense showed it: with slow developing plays, this offense is not the equalizer against athletically superior teams that the Johnson-Niumatalolo offense is. They escaped BYU last year, but that team is about size and physicality not speed. They lost to Liberty in the bowl in 2020 as the second team with a pulse that they played. App beat them this week with speed on defense...other than those three teams, their competition in the last two years has been pretty bad (e.g. last minute win over a mediocre Troy team)

For ECU, I think the relevant point is the "you have to be married to it"...you guys have had so many changes, going back to the Ruffin firing, that you can't afford to break everything down and start over.
If you think HC Houston is the answer, then you shouldn't or can't look for that kind of complete break down and ground-up rebuild. I am hearing you don't like the OC's work. I hope you don't take this wrong, but for mid- to long-term success, I would say the issue is that Holton Ahlers is nowhere near as good as some ECU fans think he is. And maybe Ahlers is starting because no one else is any better -- I saw Mason Garcia in the Navy ECU game last year. Xs, Os, Jimmys, Joes...

Are you casting far and wide for a solution before you've truly defined the problem?
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021 10:58 PM by slhNavy91.)
10-25-2021 10:48 PM
PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
(10-25-2021 10:48 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  

edited to add:
The other thing I wanted to say in my fourth paragraph -- App's speed on defense showed it: with slow developing plays, this offense is not the equalizer against athletically superior teams that the Johnson-Niumatalolo offense is. They escaped BYU last year, but that team is about size and physicality not speed. They lost to Liberty in the bowl in 2020 as the second team with a pulse that they played. App beat them this week with speed on defense...other than those three teams, their competition in the last two years has been pretty bad (e.g. last minute win over a mediocre Troy team)

For ECU, I think the relevant point is the "you have to be married to it"...you guys have had so many changes, going back to the Ruffin firing, that you can't afford to break everything down and start over.
If you think HC Houston is the answer, then you shouldn't or can't look for that kind of complete break down and ground-up rebuild. I am hearing you don't like the OC's work. I hope you don't take this wrong, but for mid- to long-term success, I would say the issue is that Holton Ahlers is nowhere near as good as some ECU fans think he is. And maybe Ahlers is starting because no one else is any better -- I saw Mason Garcia in the Navy ECU game last year. Xs, Os, Jimmys, Joes...

Are you casting far and wide for a solution before you've truly defined the problem?

He’s not, and only those looking at everything through purple shades think he is. Hopefully he leaves after this season and doesn’t take advantage of the extra year of eligibility in an ECU uniform.
10-25-2021 11:27 PM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

edited to add:

You’re right. We can’t afford to break down everything and make such a drastic change to something new. I am just a bit frustrated, like many others are with the inconsistency on the offensive side of the ball. Something needs to change. I feel like our struggles are a combination of many things. Our O-line play is mediocre at best. I think there are issues with the offensive scheme/execution. The QB play is so inconsistent. Holton makes a lot of poor decisions, but at times he makes great decisions. I don’t think there is anything that can be done at this point with him to make him any better. I know lack of effort is not his problem. But as far as he goes, I feel like it’s time we put the ball in someone else’s hands after this season. I don’t think there is any one short answer to our offensive woes.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2021 01:26 AM by NoQuarterBrigade.)
10-26-2021 01:17 AM
Advertisement

PirateHeist Offline
All American

(10-25-2021 11:27 PM)PirateJP Wrote:  

edited to add:

He’s not, and only those looking at everything through purple shades think he is. Hopefully he leaves after this season and doesn’t take advantage of the extra year of eligibility in an ECU uniform.

Even Navy fans can see it... 03-banghead If Ahlers is not the dude, it is time to let the young guys get a chance. I'm sure they can QB us to a losing season just as well as Ahlers...
10-26-2021 07:13 AM
b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
Amazing that anybody is familiar enough with WKU, ULM or Georgia State to say we should take their OC.
10-26-2021 08:36 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

edited to add:

The problem is Holton and the offense have regressed every year under DK. This is with the offense having far more experience than the defense, returning 10 of 11 starters, and having had essentially the same care group players and coaches for 3 seasons. I don't think Holton is a great QB. I think in an offense designed perfectly around his talents he could be a solid QB. I don't know what Garcia is or isn't yet. He got thrown into that Navy game mid week as a true freshman during the Covid season because Holton had a false positive Covid test. He didn't look great in that game, didn't expect him to.
10-26-2021 08:44 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

(10-26-2021 08:36 AM)b2b Wrote:  Amazing that anybody is familiar enough with WKU, ULM or Georgia State to say we should take their OC.

My brother in law is a HS coach. I've got friends that are on HS staffs and some on college staffs. I hear names, I pay attention, do research.

Look at the numbers those guys offenses have put up. Look at the way they are doing it and the players they are doing it with. Each of those three would be just as successful in the AAC as they are now.

Now that said, I also heard and looked at Scottie Mo's history and predicted he would be a good hire long before he was announced to be in the running for the ECU job. I guess that's why I'm not an AD.
10-26-2021 11:09 AM
Advertisement

CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(10-26-2021 07:13 AM)PirateHeist Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 11:27 PM)PirateJP Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 07:00 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  While you're probably intending to ask ECU fans, I'll chime in...

edited to add:

Even Navy fans can see it... 03-banghead If Ahlers is not the dude, it is time to let the young guys get a chance. I'm sure they can QB us to a losing season just as well as Ahlers...

Just my opinion, but I don't think it's a 50/50 split of those who think he's great and those that think he should be benched. In fact, I think a very small contingent think he's great. I will say that there is a large chunk, myself included, that assume that no other QB on the roster can operate our offense at more than the very basic level.

Navy fans saw Garcia (the next guy in line) last season. He didn't know what he was doing out there. He's ok in a pinch to hand off, run the ball, or throw to a single read. Making occasional bad decisions is one thing. Not knowing what the decisions are is another.

I'm really hoping we can get him a couple of drives in garbage time (hopefully with us winning) so see how much he's developed in the past year. The coaches have seen it (and I assume that why he's not starting), but the fans haven't. So people will b**** until they do, for good or bad.
10-26-2021 12:17 PM
DownEastPirate Offline
1st String

Could Rich Rod be a real candidate? Probably not based off just landing the job at ULM and he's likely eyeing a P5 job when leaving there but the situation could actually be good for him. For one, if MH is canned he's a great candidate for HC. Closer to his hometown in WV. If DK gets let go then HA is def gone I think which leaves him with two true dual threat QB's for his offense, a scat back with serious speed and a power back. If our OL could get straightened out our personnel is actually set up good his offense. Plus we'd need a transfer QB for HA's spot and his son could transfer in.

I'd venture to say its more than a long shot, plus I'm not sure MH would let his ego hire someone with RR's success. Fun to think about it though.
10-26-2021 05:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.