Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is it over?
Bookmark and Share
HERDDDDD Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: HERD
Is it over?
Has this round of expansion stopped? Will CUSA add anyone else? Will Big12 trigger it again soon or are they content?
11-11-2021 12:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cardiff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall + Liberty
RE: Is it over?
I mean, it’s impossible to say for sure.

But I think the circus is shut down for the winter.
11-11-2021 12:06 AM
sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty, Army
Agree with Cardiff. I think CUSA will stick with 9 for now...and take some time in planning any future moves.
11-11-2021 12:36 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
I would think they would get Jax State and Sam Houston transfered up before they add anyone else from FCS
11-11-2021 12:45 AM
rtist Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU & UAA
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2021 12:54 AM by rtist.)
11-11-2021 12:46 AM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
I hope it's over for now. I just wish CUSA could boost up their bball a little more.
11-11-2021 12:47 AM
Advertisement

All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged
(11-11-2021 12:02 AM)HERDDDDD Wrote:  Has this round of expansion stopped? Will CUSA add anyone else? Will Big12 trigger it again soon or are they content?

I think you'll see at least one more school added.
11-11-2021 01:27 AM
rtist Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU & UAA
(11-11-2021 01:27 AM)All4One Wrote:  
(11-11-2021 12:02 AM)HERDDDDD Wrote:  Has this round of expansion stopped? Will CUSA add anyone else? Will Big12 trigger it again soon or are they content?

The $125,000 question is: which school gets added?

I'd say Stephen F. Austin, but I'm not at all confident of this. There are a LOT of candidates that would argue for inclusion.
11-11-2021 01:44 AM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Hope zero for now.
11-11-2021 02:03 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
CUSA need to add more FCS schools for comfort. Football won't do because the next raid could put you under 7 again, and you need 8 including football to be an FBS conference.
11-11-2021 03:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged
(11-11-2021 01:44 AM)rtist Wrote:  

I'd say Stephen F. Austin, but I'm not at all confident of this. There are a LOT of candidates that would argue for inclusion.

Missouri State
11-11-2021 04:06 AM
Advertisement

Milwaukee Offline
All American

I Root For: many teams

While they could stand pat with 9, temporarily, it would probably be more advantageous to add one more school, at least, by 1/31/21 - - if they can add a good one.

1. It would strengthen the conference's perceived stature. Anything less than 10 would make the conference look weak at the very time when they most a boost in stature.

2. To be sustainable from the start, the CUSA will have to play a divisional schedule with 5 team divisions for all sports. This will require adding a 10th school, and doing it soon.

3. The 10th member - - a current FCS school - - will have to scramble to qualify for FBS when SHSU and JSU qualify, and a long delay in selecting a 10th school could delay the start of divisional play.

4. The CUSA "4.0" only has 4 western teams lined up at present. It would be a big help to schools such as UTEP & NMSU if they can schedule 4 conference games vs. western teams so that they won't have to play 5 eastern CUSA teams.

5. The conference's viewership potential will be gauged, in part, on the number of members it has. Adding a 10th would help the conference in its dealings with broadcasters by adding another segment of viewers. Broadcasters want "more" teams.

6. Regionally, the CUSA will start out stronger in the east (WKU, MTSU, Liberty, FIU) than in the west, where UTEP and La Tech will be the only remaining CUSA schools; NMSU and SHSU FB have much less brand recognition. To gain traction with regional viewers, they will have to add another western school.

---Adding another Texas school (e.g., SFAU) would build regional viewership in the southwestern part of the CUSA footprint, particularly in TX.

---Adding a school with widespread recognition as a FB power, such as NDSU, would (a) add viewership across a wider swath of the west-central (great plains) region, (b) (potentially) double the FB recognition of the CUSA West, and © boost the overall brand recognition of CUSA FB, not only regionally, but nationally, much like Appalachian State boosted the national brand recognition of the SBC.

(This post was last modified: 11-11-2021 04:53 AM by Milwaukee.)
11-11-2021 04:20 AM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
Hmm, it’s CUSA, so I’d imagine we hear these adds made official by end of month: ACU, IWU, SFA, UTRGV, Tarleton State, Texas Southern, TAMUCC, UTA, UTD.
11-11-2021 07:47 AM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
(11-11-2021 03:28 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  CUSA need to add more FCS schools for comfort. Football won't do because the next raid could put you under 7 again, and you need 8 including football to be an FBS conference.

So what? Add whatever number you need at that time. Going big was the problem all along. It’s not like it helped the tv deal. Need to stay small with less conference games in non revenue sports (because of travel) and each school can play more local non conference games to reduce travel.

All adding more schools does is dilute the per share revenue distribution.
11-11-2021 08:19 AM
Tech80 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Have y'all seen the Yahoo.com article entitled: The School that put an end to Conference Realignment

Then goes on to address Middle Tennessee's decision to stay put which in turn caused The MAC to back away from expansion.

Way to go Blue Raiders!!!
11-11-2021 08:29 AM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
I would add one to get the max amount of CFP money in the conference. Not much to the big schools but would take a little money away.
11-11-2021 08:46 AM
Advertisement

loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
It's over for now in FBS. The ripples in FCS will continue.
11-11-2021 08:49 AM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS

If it's another Texas school it will be Tarleton State University!
11-11-2021 09:00 AM
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
The below is a long post, that claims a lot but doesn't show any support. My answers to each are below in red.

(11-11-2021 04:20 AM)Milwaukee Wrote:  While they could stand pat with 9, temporarily, it would probably be more advantageous to add one more school, at least, by 1/31/21 - - if they can add a good one.

1. It would strengthen the conference's perceived stature. Anything less than 10 would make the conference look weak at the very time when they most a boost in stature.
Raided by two other G5 conferences and everyone knows the MWC can have UTEP (and NMS) anytime they want them and the MAC just decided not to add WKU. Adding another FCS team doesn't change anyone's perception of C-USA's strength in a positive direction.

2. To be sustainable from the start, the CUSA will have to play a divisional schedule with 5 team divisions for all sports. This will require adding a 10th school, and doing it soon.
In what way does divisions make it more sustainable? Round Robin is very sustainable.

3. The 10th member - - a current FCS school - - will have to scramble to qualify for FBS when SHSU and JSU qualify, and a long delay in selecting a 10th school could delay the start of divisional play.
They don't need a 10th school, so . . .

4. The CUSA "4.0" only has 4 western teams lined up at present. It would be a big help to schools such as UTEP & NMSU if they can schedule 4 conference games vs. western teams so that they won't have to play 5 eastern CUSA teams.
Round Robin. Move on.

5. The conference's viewership potential will be gauged, in part, on the number of members it has. Adding a 10th would help the conference in its dealings with broadcasters by adding another segment of viewers. Broadcasters want "more" teams.
They didn't want C-USA with 14 FBS members, so why would they want it more because of a 3rd FCS school?

6. Regionally, the CUSA will start out stronger in the east (WKU, MTSU, Liberty, FIU) than in the west, where UTEP and La Tech will be the only remaining CUSA schools; NMSU and SHSU FB have much less brand recognition. To gain traction with regional viewers, they will have to add another western school.
Boise State isn't available and that's the only western G5 school that could even out Liberty.

---Adding another Texas school (e.g., SFAU) would build regional viewership in the southwestern part of the CUSA footprint, particularly in TX.
I doubt adding SFAU adds 1000 viewers to the TV package.

---Adding a school with widespread recognition as a FB power, such as NDSU, would (a) add viewership across a wider swath of the west-central (great plains) region, (b) (potentially) double the FB recognition of the CUSA West, and © boost the overall brand recognition of CUSA FB, not only regionally, but nationally, much like Appalachian State boosted the national brand recognition of the SBC.
Unless NDSU has a signature FBS win (like App over Michigan) that I don't know about, most FBS fans aren't going to be impressed. They have potential, but that is all.
11-11-2021 09:01 AM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(11-11-2021 07:47 AM)BKTopper Wrote:  Hmm, it’s CUSA, so I’d imagine we hear these adds made official by end of month: ACU, IWU, SFA, UTRGV, Tarleton State, Texas Southern, TAMUCC, UTA, UTD.

About 9% right... Tarleton State University
11-11-2021 09:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.